Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,445 members, 7,819,643 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:48 PM

Please How Can I Make An Eleven Year Old Boy Learn To Read? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Please How Can I Make An Eleven Year Old Boy Learn To Read? (891 Views)

Teacher Breaks A 4-Year-Old Boy's Teeth (Graphic Photos) / 15-Year-Old Boy Sent Home From School Over This Hairstyle In West Midlands / 18-Year-Old Boy Suspended After Proposing To His Teen Girlfriend In School In SA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please How Can I Make An Eleven Year Old Boy Learn To Read? by voizofone: 4:30pm On Jul 09, 2016
Please house, help me with suggestions on how to make a boy of eleven years to know how to read? I registered him in pre nursery, he went to nursery later and at year six he entered primary school, he is now in primary five but cannot read a single sentence. I tried many methods in order to make him read ranging from buying nursery rhymes, and making him copy some words or sentences on a daily basis, he may start reading those ones but will forget them the next day, I have downloaded nursery apps for him to play it as a game to make him remember those words if he encounter them in his reader, still it has not worked. His father has also tried even more than me to no avail. What he prefers doing is play play and still play, I would have blamed it on any of us but his father is a genius when it comes to academics and I used to be an excellent student, that made me to wonder what went wrong, he will be writing common entrance by next year and I wonder how he will cope in secondary school, it bothered me so much to the extent of developing high blood pressure. This is the reason I decided to bring it here to see if I can get some help in case some people have witnessed such a situation and probably how it was overcomed. Please help a helpless parent. Thank you in advance.[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Please How Can I Make An Eleven Year Old Boy Learn To Read? by Cutehector(m): 4:31pm On Jul 09, 2016
Like stars on earth...

Over to education psychologists
Re: Please How Can I Make An Eleven Year Old Boy Learn To Read? by Trini45: 4:32pm On Jul 09, 2016
Hmmm! Where are the mods sef If na snake na! Them for don move am tey tey!!.....
Re: Please How Can I Make An Eleven Year Old Boy Learn To Read? by shaiba(f): 5:08pm On Jul 09, 2016
I understand your need to give your child the best as parents, having done all you can the next step is to pray. Take time to present this matter before God, children are gift from God and His gift makes rich/brings joy and adds no sorrow.

Don't try to make him be like you or his father, find time alone to talk with him, start by finding out what he'll like to be and take the discussion from there. He will soon become a teenager and that's where the major challenge comes. He has a gift/talent or something that is inside that needs to be developed. Spend quality time to know him and what he needs.

Find time to also pray together and search the purpose of God for his life.

Get a lesson teacher for him and supervise this too.

Also see a doctor, he could be lacking some form of vitamins that helps the brain, doctors in the house know this.

My son, plays too much too, I got involve with his playing one day and when it was time to eat dinner there was no food, he cried and I started preparing dinner late, I just told him that's what happens when you spend time playing instead of planning. Now he plans his time and plays less.

All the best dear.

We spend at least two hours reading story books and sharing the lesson in it and yes, we pray too.

I do all I can to spend time with my son.

Hope this helps.
Prayer works.
Re: Please How Can I Make An Eleven Year Old Boy Learn To Read? by nnamdi1993: 5:12pm On Jul 09, 2016
shaiba:
I understand your need to give your child the best as parents, having done all you can the next step is to pray. Take time to present this matter before God, children are gift from God and His gift makes rich/brings joy and adds no sorrow.

Don't try to make him be like you or his father, find time alone to talk with him, start by finding out what he'll like to be and take the discussion from there. He will soon become a teenager and that's where the major challenge comes. He has a gift/talent or something that is inside that needs to be developed. Spend quality time to know him and what he needs.

Also see a doctor, he could be lacking some form of vitamins that helps the brain, doctors in the house know this.

My son, plays too much too, I got involve with his playing one day and when it was time to eat dinner there was no food, he cried and I started preparing dinner late, I just told him that's what happens when you spend time playing instead of planning. Now he plans his time and plays less.

All the best dear.

We spend at least two hours reading story books and sharing the lesson in it and yes, we pray too.

Hope this helps.
Prayer works.
discover his talent now n work on it. Dis might sound some hw bt d truth is skul isnt for everyone. Find his talent n work on it. Wizkid parents r proud of him
Re: Please How Can I Make An Eleven Year Old Boy Learn To Read? by obinrinrere: 5:19pm On Jul 09, 2016
@op.have you heard about jolly phonics?
It is a child centered approach that makes kids to start reading as early as 3yrs old
Re: Please How Can I Make An Eleven Year Old Boy Learn To Read? by theLegion(m): 5:20pm On Jul 09, 2016
Just teach him the basics, then take it higher... You gotta be patient tho'
Re: Please How Can I Make An Eleven Year Old Boy Learn To Read? by voizofone: 5:31pm On Jul 09, 2016
obinrinrere:
It is a child centered approach that makes kids to start reading as early as 3yrs old

I have not but will definitely try it so long as it will take out of this dream
Re: Please How Can I Make An Eleven Year Old Boy Learn To Read? by voizofone: 5:34pm On Jul 09, 2016
shaiba:

All the best dear.

Hope this helps.
Prayer works.

Thanks for your advice and I will try it out once more. I once sat with him one day and I asked him what he want to be in future, you can't imagine his answer "I want to be a farmer ".
Re: Please How Can I Make An Eleven Year Old Boy Learn To Read? by larabae13(f): 5:36pm On Jul 09, 2016
If u try all all dere is to try to get him to be able to read nd he still doesn't knw how den maybe itz tym for u to take him to a doctor that treats learning disabilities...the boy might have dyslexia (not sure though) or anoda learning disability...itz nt an insult or me trying to downsize u buh get the boy some help...u might found out later dat d boy is very smart nd intelligent once u get him treated...u can find out more on learning disabilities before taking any action

1 Like

Re: Please How Can I Make An Eleven Year Old Boy Learn To Read? by voizofone: 5:39pm On Jul 09, 2016
obinrinrere:

Please the jolly phonics is it an app and how do I get it.
Re: Please How Can I Make An Eleven Year Old Boy Learn To Read? by prahcetomi(m): 8:05pm On Jul 09, 2016
Use QUEEN's PREMIER!! !....Although, i don't know if dat book is still alive, but trust me, begin with that book, it will even make him crave for more knowledge.
Re: Please How Can I Make An Eleven Year Old Boy Learn To Read? by obinrinrere: 9:53am On Jul 10, 2016
Not an app.
A total reading package for schools
Re: Please How Can I Make An Eleven Year Old Boy Learn To Read? by 9rad(m): 10:34am On Jul 10, 2016
undecided
Re: Please How Can I Make An Eleven Year Old Boy Learn To Read? by Edroom: 1:18pm On Jul 10, 2016
The first things is knowing the child background, be simple with him especially if he has little or no basic education.
Start with ABC, to two letter words, three letter words, four and five. Give him a dictation exercise. Let him read passage. It will be helpful
shalom!
Re: Please How Can I Make An Eleven Year Old Boy Learn To Read? by siamia(f): 5:22pm On Aug 03, 2016
s your child diagnosed as a Special Needs child? Does he/she fall under the category of celebral palsy, dyslexia, ADHD (attention deficit hyperactive disorder), or Down syndrome, to mention a few? Then you need Marigold School.
Set in a 'home away from home' boarding environment in Agege, Lagos, Marigold School offers educational and behavioral therapy training for special needs children in a quiet, serene and secure environment .
The school runs year long, with only breaks for the state, national and religious holidays, on a 3mthly basis.
Using Montessori methods, the children are taught basic skills, they attend physiotherapy classes, speech therapy classes,and where needed, are sent for ENT,and outfitted with hearing aids,fo those who need it.
Call or visit for your child's diagnosis and admission at anytime of the year. Ages for admission start from 3yrs to 13yrs.
Call 09055206656, and whatsapp 08180632132, 07067291837 for affordable prices and immediate admission.
If your child is special, then you need a special home for him/her. An early start ensures that your child lives as normal a life as possible.

voizofone:
Please house, help me with suggestions on how to make a boy of eleven years to know how to read? I registered him in pre nursery, he went to nursery later and at year six he entered primary school, he is now in primary five but cannot read a single sentence. I tried many methods in order to make him read ranging from buying nursery rhymes, and making him copy some words or sentences on a daily basis, he may start reading those ones but will forget them the next day, I have downloaded nursery apps for him to play it as a game to make him remember those words if he encounter them in his reader, still it has not worked. His father has also tried even more than me to no avail. What he prefers doing is play play and still play, I would have blamed it on any of us but his father is a genius when it comes to academics and I used to be an excellent student, that made me to wonder what went wrong, he will be writing common entrance by next year and I wonder how he will cope in secondary school, it bothered me so much to the extent of developing high blood pressure. This is the reason I decided to bring it here to see if I can get some help in case some people have witnessed such a situation and probably how it was overcomed. Please help a helpless parent. Thank you in advance.[color=#990000][/color]

(1) (Reply)

HND, B.sc Dichotomy Will Soon Be Over – FG / We'd Tear Our PDP Membership Card Unless.....- UNEC Students / 15 Tips To Get Employed Immediately After Graduating-- 9jaread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.