Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,085 members, 7,814,757 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:06 PM

Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics (22066 Views)

Ussd Codes For Nigerian Banks / Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics / CBN To Banks: Sell Forex To BDCs - Nairametrics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by Adesiji77: 5:30pm On Jul 09, 2016
Nigeria’s banking sector is currently facing a crisis of confidence following the central bank’s decision to replace the chief executive officer of Skye Bank Plc, its chairman and 10 other directors on July 4 after the nation’s eighth-biggest lender consistently failed to meet minimum capital adequacy thresholds.

Emerging Market focused investment bank Renaissance Capital notes that the CBN intervenes by removing bank management when capital adequacy ratios (CAR) fall below 4 percent and estimates that a N142 billion erosion in tier one capital for Skye Bank has occurred representing about 99 percent of its 9 month 2015 equity.

The Asset Management Corporation of Nigeria (AMCON) has repeatedly said in the past it was done bailing out any Nigerian lender and had stopped buying new non performing loans.

The balance sheet of the Central Bank and fiscal authorities is also pretty stretched following falling oil prices meaning bailing out the sector using public funds is largely undesirable.

The Nigerian Banking index has largely underperformed the broad market this year as investors fret over the potential for another crisis in the sector.

According to Fitch Ratings, 45% of Nigerian banks’ loans are denominated in dollars, meaning the recent devaluations have increased liabilities for some of the banks in Naira terms and dragged down the value of their capital relative to loans.

Most analysts say the Nigerian Banking sector still has too many banks (21 compared to 5 in South Africa the continents second largest economy) meaning a consolidation may be the solution to the sectors current ills.

Nairametrics takes a look at some major deals that allows stronger banks to swallow weaker ones that could shake up the sector and put the industry on a stronger footing going forward, if they were approved.

Stanbic IBTC buys Skye Bank

Stanbic IBTC is a second tier Nigerian lender, which is a subsidiary of South Africa’s Standard Bank.

While the current challenges with the Financial Reporting Council (FRC) make it difficult to formulate a constructive view on the earnings outlook for Stanbic, analysts at Renaissance Capital say “the fundamentals appear intact…We expect the bank’s trading income to receive a boost over time from the liberalisation of FX markets. Management thinks assets under management (AuM) and profits before tax PBT growth in the wealth business should be c. 10 percent in 2016 as a base case.”

Stanbic IBTC has a market capitalization of N158 billion nearly 13 times that of Skye Banks N12 billion.

The deal if done would catapult Stanbic into a tier one bank and give it a bigger share in the retail banking space which it has struggled to grow as well as improve its footprint in terms of a wider branch network.

Stanbic had total assets of N1.4 trillion (YE 2015), compared to Skye Banks N1.3 trillion.

Stanbic’s branch network of 141 and ATMs in service of 200, compare to Skye Banks branch network of 469 and ATMs of 887.

The combined entity (Stanbic + Skye) could potentially have total assets of N2.7 trillion, branch network of 610 and 1087 ATMs in service.

Stanbic could leverage on new customers gained from the Skye Bank merger to drive growth in its asset management and pension services.

Those newly gained Skye deposits (N832 billion as at FY 2015), could also be a means of growing net interest margins, by using cheap deposits to lend to individuals/corporates or buy Government bonds, at a higher interest rate.

Roadblocks to a deal

It is unclear whether the management of Stanbic Ibtc desires to grow the bank as big as the merger would suggest.

There are also issues around the books of Skye Bank, which just last year took over a bailed out lender Mainstreet Bank.

There are risks that the hole in which Skye Bank is may be bigger than it is especially if proper due diligence is not done on its books.

There are also issues around the fire power of Stanbic IBTC.

While the Stanbic IBTC’s most likely currency to do a deal (its equity) is solid and trading above book value, issues around the FRC and uncertainty over digesting what is in effect 2 banks (Mainstreet and Skye pre its Mainstreet acquisition), could depress shares if a deal is announced potentially making it more expensive for shareholders.

GTB buys Diamond Bank

Guaranty Trust Bank (GTB) is Nigeria’s largest lender by value, and has a market capitalization of N679.8 billion.

Diamond Bank on the other hand is a second tier lender with market capitalization of N46.5 billion.

GTB largely plays in the corporate loans sector and a deal would give the bank a firmer foothold in the retail and SME space where Diamond Bank is a major force.

Following the significant depreciation in the naira, GT Bank is positioned to see a jump in its FX income via revaluation and trading gains.

Diamond Bank Plc however led losses among the nation’s lenders on the Nigerian Stock Exchange All Share Index today, falling the most since January last year on speculation it may struggle to stem non-performing loans.

It had a capital adequacy ratio of 16.2 percent at the end of the first quarter, compared with a 15 percent regulatory minimum.

Diamond’s capital ratios may come under “notable pressure” because of loans in foreign currencies, according to analysts.

A deal would help GTB further diversify its income streams, and firepower to consummate such a deal should not be an issue given GTB superb earnings generation and a stock price that trades well above book value.

Roadblocks to a deal

The management of GTB is notoriously known to be conservative in their banking approach and may be unwilling to do such a large deal without some form of prodding by the Nigerian Government.

GTB had total assets of N2.5 trillion as at YE 2015, and if combined with Diamond Banks N1.7 trillion may emerge as one of the biggest bank in Nigeria post such a merger.

Diamond Bank management may also not look too favorably to a deal, due to their own ambitions ideas on where to take the bank.

UBA buys Union Bank

United Bank for Africa (UBA) buying Union Bank is a deal that makes sense only if the management of UBA decided that growth in Nigeria should be pursued alongside growth in its African subsidiaries.

UBA had a market capitalization of N161 billion compared to Union Banks N82 billion on Friday.

UBA had significant net long FX positions as at Q1, 2016 giving the lender capital and asset quality buffers, following the recent naira devaluation.

On the other hand Union Bank shares dropped about 5 percent to their lowest levels in almost two months today as investors worried over the bank’s capital adequacy levels.

A takeover would give UBA’s management led by Tony Elumelu (who has done such large deals in the past) a bigger footprint in Nigeria and a larger assets base as it aims to conquer the rest of Africa.

Roadblocks to a deal

Union Bank which just emerged from a restructuring of its own following a CBN bailout may not be too keen to sell itself to UBA without a major push by the Nigerian authorities.

There are also issues around the firepower of UBA, which currently trades well below book value per share. Union Bank also has a a major investor in Atlas Mara who have the financial muscle to fight off any merger deal.

EcoBank buys Wema Bank

Ecobank Transnational Inc. which has a primary listing in Lome Togo also trades on the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) as Ecobank Nigeria.

The bank which is an African focused lender recently outlined plans to close some of its African subsidiaries and focus on the larger more profitable ones.

The Nigerian business is Ecobanks largest subsidiary.

Buying Wema Bank would be a continuation of the banks inorganic growth in Nigeria following acquisition of Oceanic Bank in 2011.

Roadblock to a deal

Ecobank has 2 major shareholders in Nedbank Group of South Africa and Qatar National Bank who could torpedo any new takeovers and potential dilution of shares.

ETI CEO Ade Adeyemi said last year the bank “will shun acquisitions for the moment and concentrate on boosting shareholder returns.”

FBNH: too big to be bought?

FBN Holdings Nigeria’s biggest bank by assets deserves a mention here because of the lenders soaring non performing loans (North of 20% in Q1), its cratering stock price and well below book value valuation.

FBN Holding’s may come under closer scrutiny from the central bank, Adesoji Solanke, Renaissance Capital’s head of research in Nigeria, said in a note on July 5.

FBNH may however just be too big to be bought by any Nigerian lender.

The Bank may also be able to plug any capital holes from internal earnings by cutting dividends.

First Bank “does not need to raise more capital” and can generate enough earnings to support internal capital formation, acting Chief Financial Officer Ini Ebong said today. “Our‎ liquidity ratio remains very strong. FBN is and remains a net placer in the interbank market and has no need to seek funds from the Central Bank of Nigeria window.”

Access Bank: Just digested intercontinental

Access Bank which could also be a contender to takeover smaller Nigerian Banks may already have its hands full digesting its most recent merger with Intercontinental Bank.

http://nairametrics.com/possible-mergers-and-takeovers-that-can-save-troubled-nigerian-banks/

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by davide470(m): 5:40pm On Jul 09, 2016
Lol.

A caveat needs to be put up by Nairametrics stating that it is purely the Analyst view before it leads to something else in the Capital Market.

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by Adesiji77: 5:47pm On Jul 09, 2016
davide470:
Lol.

A caveat needs to be put up by Nairametrics stating that it is purely the Analyst view before it leads to something else in the Capital Market.

cheesy

Below every article, you will see something like this:

The post above and its ensuing comments, if any, is purely the opinion of the writer(s). It therefore should never be considered as an investment advise of any sort. If required, readers should please consult a competent professional financial adviser for any investment decision.

10 Likes

Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by davide470(m): 5:52pm On Jul 09, 2016
Adesiji77:

cheesy

Below every article, you will see something like this:

The post above and its ensuing comments, if any, is purely the opinion of the writer(s). It therefore should never be considered as an investment advise of any sort. If required, readers should please consult a competent professional financial adviser for any investment decision.
This one should be kept at the beginning of the article. Lol.

22 Likes

Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by ZUBY77(m): 5:58pm On Jul 09, 2016
Cool write up and a Frontpage material.
Atleats it's far better than Oge Okoye on a new dress.
Lalasticlala will see this topic the next time he load any nairaland page.

.. .. .
One good advice to all the banks though, this advice is for the banks who are buying and those who are being bought.
Make sure you tell us when this business will start taking place. I would prefer to withdraw my money and keep it elsewhere until the merger is over.

Thanks.. cool

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by fizzy4luv(m): 6:14pm On Jul 09, 2016
A good idea if banks reduce in number from 21 to 5 or even 4 depending on relative acquisitions or mergers. This will go a long way in solving the different problems witnessed by some banks and also have an indirect relief on marketers i.e less competition. Though it will cause some people to lose their jobs

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by ibkgab001: 10:09pm On Jul 09, 2016
hahahaha this are all warnings

I must move all my cash to First bank
Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by famo19: 10:09pm On Jul 09, 2016
na to go put my money for my colooooooo
Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by oshibote1: 10:09pm On Jul 09, 2016
Hmmmm
Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by Nobody: 10:10pm On Jul 09, 2016
Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by davibid: 10:10pm On Jul 09, 2016
grin

3 Likes

Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by Nobody: 10:11pm On Jul 09, 2016
Hmmm
Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by Nobody: 10:11pm On Jul 09, 2016
hmmm
Jonathan sef
Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by Toluwani111: 10:12pm On Jul 09, 2016
Jg[size=21pt] I want to sell facebook Page & Group with huge members. Kindly Send a message to me on ==> Facebook[/size].
Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by jazinogold(m): 10:13pm On Jul 09, 2016
g
Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by gmobik: 10:13pm On Jul 09, 2016
This is a huge disservice to the banking system and it's not far from speculation...... this could lead to a litigation
Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by Nobody: 10:15pm On Jul 09, 2016
Jonathan sef...I smell real war among customers from ....

Imagine Diamond bank being bought by GTB or Skye Bank buying Fidelity Bank.

Anyway this is still speculative but I would like Nairametrics to adopt point one trailing this original post.

I see your point in FB Holding being too big to be acquired. Although I am of the opinion that FB can be unbundled into smaller parts ...the core business is banking can be acquired easily. Forget all that insurance and pension etc which they have been licensed to operate.

The gross product contributions of those ancillaries to the balance sheet are miniscule.

1 Like

Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by BarryX(m): 10:15pm On Jul 09, 2016
This is arrant nonsense by nairametrics or whatever their name is and a ploy to either selfishly boost their review ratings or just disturb the already hardship-stoned banking public.

And Nairaland brought to front page because?

5 Likes

Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by Xtaceeey: 10:15pm On Jul 09, 2016
This OP and Bank News are like 5 and 6

6 Likes

Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by Nobody: 10:19pm On Jul 09, 2016
What ever saves the economy.
Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by fredpaul: 10:20pm On Jul 09, 2016
Junk analysis. Please stop deceiving the public with this your incomplete figures

3 Likes

Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by Nobody: 10:21pm On Jul 09, 2016
Keneking:
Jonathan sef ...I smell real war among customers from ....

Anyway this is still speculative but I would like Nairametrics to adopt point one trailing this original post.

I see your point in FB Holding being too big to be acquired. Although I am of the opinion that FB can be unbundled into smaller parts ...the core business is banking can be acquired easily. Forget all that insurance and pension etc which they have been licensed to operate.

The gross product contributions of those ancillaries to the balance sheet are miniscule.
How the lose of investors and the Naira fall take consign Jonathan?, the stock exchange market is suffering.

Buhari is a Failure.

2 Likes

Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by wendycindy(f): 10:22pm On Jul 09, 2016
Diamond and GTB... Hmmmmn. Dis one is strong.
Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by amanda2013(f): 10:23pm On Jul 09, 2016
hard times
Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by domopps(m): 10:27pm On Jul 09, 2016
How can stanbic with Total asset of N1.4TN buys Skye of N1.3TN even with both branch nd ATM network more than that of stanbic!

I bet Op has not heard bout SW8 before kindly refer to CBN website.....intstead of skye bank to go down or to be bought by mere stanbic lack of solid customer service bank they would pull out their funds nd support from Wema bank for them to stand stronger

And kindly tell me more how can banks that are managing their books altering audit report are to big to be bought in Nig

And lastly pls tell me 7 Nig banks that are too big to fail as published by CBN supported by AMCON also certified with NDIC....by then we would no which and what statement to take very serious ...

Cheeeeeers

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by Innodon(m): 10:29pm On Jul 09, 2016
Ok
Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 10:30pm On Jul 09, 2016
A whole Diamond bank?
OP and nairametrics dey craze

Diamond that is even a systemic bank

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by BarryX(m): 10:31pm On Jul 09, 2016
Keneking:

This is the kind of English that makes me remember that Tony Tetuila song

You don hit my car
Oyibo repete

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by KingsCity: 10:31pm On Jul 09, 2016
k
Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by domopps(m): 10:34pm On Jul 09, 2016
Keneking:

Boss do not be deceived there is nothing too big in FBN I bet they have highest num on non performing loans in the history of Nigerian banks their books are being managed with several gross misconduct and probable acts from their management which often overlooked by CBN!

Cheeeeeeers

2 Likes

Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by Lanre4uonly(m): 10:36pm On Jul 09, 2016
It is indeed a trying time for our country's banking system.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Rice: Thai Merchants Slam $300m Rates On Nigerian Importers / CBN Claims They've Been Begging Banks To Take New Naira Notes / Made In Aba Goods Get A Global Marketing  boost

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.