Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,515 members, 7,830,529 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 01:49 AM

Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics (22091 Views)

Ussd Codes For Nigerian Banks / Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics / CBN To Banks: Sell Forex To BDCs - Nairametrics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by SuperS1Panther: 10:40pm On Jul 09, 2016
Never say a bank is too big to fail or to be bought.

The likes of Barings Bank, Lehman Brothers, Merrill Lynch, Fortis, Royal Bank of Scotland, Fannie Mae&Freddie Mac are history today. If not for the impact of failure of AIG on the global insurance market, it would have gone that. hank God it was bailed out with the money of tax payers in US.

That was how Titanic was declared unsinkable and WTC was said to have been a building that can never come down.

4 Likes

Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by Nobody: 10:43pm On Jul 09, 2016
BarryX:
This is arrant nonsense by nairametrics or whatever their name is and a ploy to either selfishly boost their review ratings or just disturb the already hardship-stoned banking public.

And Nairaland brought to front page because?

People are droping useful insights and you are only shouting without saying anything of note. I tire for your likes.

1 Like

Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by 0955eb027(m): 11:05pm On Jul 09, 2016
Nawa for dis op and hin nairametrics o. How on earth will GTB acquire Diamond bank?

2 Likes

Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by sekundosekundo: 11:08pm On Jul 09, 2016
In fact, I don't underkwuruoto what's happening in country any more.
Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by Einl(m): 11:11pm On Jul 09, 2016
fizzy4luv:
A good idea if banks reduce in number from 21 to 5 or even 4 depending on relative acquisitions or mergers. This will go a long way in solving the different problems witnessed by some banks and also have an indirect relief on marketers i.e less competition. Though it will cause some people to lose their jobs

It won't solve any problem. It will just create banks that are to big to fail.
Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by Rich4god(m): 11:20pm On Jul 09, 2016
UBA acquiring Union Bank...?
Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by CuteTj(m): 11:29pm On Jul 09, 2016
davide470:
This one should be kept at the beginning of the article. Lol.
True....

But anyone who reads the article to the end shouldn't miss the disclaimer. That it's why it's important to read documents from the first letter all the way down to the last.

1 Like

Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by Chukzyfcb(m): 11:29pm On Jul 09, 2016
SuperS1Panther:

The likes of Barings Bank, Fannie Mae&Freddie Mac are history today.
Exactly bro. Any top bank can fail , just yesterday I was reading an e book by Robert T kiyosaki titled"Unfair advantage" & he mentioned something similar &catchy. I quote verbatim:
"September 15, 2008, the Lehman Brothers investment bank declared bankruptcy, the LARGEST bankruptcy filing in U.S. history.
****************************************Also in 2008, Merrill Lynch, the LARGEST STOCK brokerage firm in the United States, went bankrupt and sold itself to Bank of America. The irony is that Merrill Lynch was the firm millions trusted with their wealth, the firm millions looked to for financial advice.
Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by Chukzyfcb(m): 11:30pm On Jul 09, 2016
SuperS1Panther:

Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by Chukzyfcb(m): 11:31pm On Jul 09, 2016
SuperS1Panther:

.ce.
Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by Chukzyfcb(m): 11:31pm On Jul 09, 2016
SuperS1Panther:

Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by solidman59(m): 11:39pm On Jul 09, 2016
You get money
famo19:
na to go put my money for my colooooooo
Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by DucheSsMerezz(f): 12:32am On Jul 10, 2016
Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by papinx(m): 12:32am On Jul 10, 2016
grin
Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by DedeNkem: 1:20am On Jul 10, 2016
The ONLY Bank to trust in Nigeria is First Bank.

First Bank is actually the first bank that was created in Nigeria! It was founded in 1894 as Bank of British West Africa and was renamed First Bank of Nigeria in 1979. It's its name literally and it's the largest bank by assets.

It is still standing after many banks had come and gone, and still the oldest!

First bank is the only bank in the country the Federal government will never allow to go under!

I've no relationship with First Bank in any way.

1 Like

Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by BarryX(m): 1:22am On Jul 10, 2016
WriteBoy:

People are droping useful insights and you are only shouting without saying anything of note. I tire for your likes.
People are expressing their useful [size=15pt]opinions[/size] about the flawed analysis and you are busy nosing around mentions without saying anything of note to counter the points raised .

I weak for your thought process
Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by totorimi: 1:25am On Jul 10, 2016
OP what about Keystone Bank, they dont have upto 300 customers somebody needs to swallow them up unless they want to go back to Habib Bank in Pakistan.

1 Like

Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by famo19: 1:38am On Jul 10, 2016
solidman59:
You get money
yes i get 40k
Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by dotun365: 1:45am On Jul 10, 2016
FYI south Africa has over 14 banks. This article is a mischievous one. @lalastical and other mods please don't put poorly researched and thought out articles on your front page. This is a highly misleading piece and I'm really sad because many Nigerians read stuff and digest it without thinking about it.

2 Likes

Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by victme1(m): 2:48am On Jul 10, 2016
What do you expect to happen to Banks when when a major source of banks float income was and is still being eroded by TSA.

What do you expect to happen to bank when commission on turnover has become zero

What do you expect will happen to bank when commissions accruing to banks from FIRS collections are in decimal figures, when the funds do not even stay to form a float for banks.

Better tell whoever or who it concerns that banking is a business set up for profit making and not a charity organisation to be given zombi instructions.

The TSA funds being forwarded to CBN, of what economic value is it adding to the business world sitting in CBN coffers.

If I where a bank MD I will reduce or stop attending to Federal Government Transactions. Why, I am not running a charity bank but a profit making bank.

Tell CBN to start bailing banks FAST if the do not want to witness another banking crisis in the country.

4 Likes

Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by zeberebe: 4:08am On Jul 10, 2016
Ok
Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by zeberebe: 4:09am On Jul 10, 2016
victme1:
What do you expect to happen to Banks when when a major source of banks float income was and is still being eroded by TSA.

What do you expect to happen to bank when commission on turnover has become zero

What do you expect will happen to bank when commissions accruing to banks from FIRS collections are in decimal figures, when the funds do not even stay to form a float for banks.

Better tell whoever or who it concerns that banking is a business set up for profit making and not a charity organisation to be given zombi instructions.

The TSA funds being forwarded to CBN, of what economic value is it adding to the business world sitting in CBN coffers.

If I where a bank MD I will reduce or stop attending to Federal Government Transactions. Why, I am not running a charity bank but a profit making bank.

Tell CBN to start bailing banks FAST if the do not want to witness another banking crisis in the country.

Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by zeberebe: 4:09am On Jul 10, 2016
victme1:

If I where a bank MD I will reduce or stop attending to Federal Government Transactions. Why, I am not running a charity bank but a profit making bank..

Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by Raddie(m): 4:36am On Jul 10, 2016
victme1:

When banks become actual banks the dust will settle - not all this win a issues.

Mind I ask why are they mostly into government transactions and oil/gas sectors.

2 Likes

Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by koladebrainiac(m): 5:19am On Jul 10, 2016
You guys are not well informed.
Ur speculation is so gross.

Skybank is exposed to a whopping 700bn non performing loans n n even operating below recapitalization threshold. Which bank will buy that kind of loan? Its not prudent on the part if IBTC to invest in skybank now.

Ecobank buying wemabank

Taar. The worse i have heard. U need to know how viable ecobank is. Wema bank was once reduced to regional banking which allows them to reorganized n adequately manage their book .

I heard they are planning to acquire keystone bank.

1 Like

Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by Coldfeets: 8:15am On Jul 10, 2016
Manchester United Brothers buys Arsenal London

Being the most successful decorated English side plus with the recent acquisition of one of the best managers in the world, José O'Mourinho, Manchester United Brothers is well positioned for the future.

Of lately, Manchester United Brothers have not been doing so well hence the injection of some young but experienced fresh blood which Arsenal London can always boast with will surely go a long way in creating a new solid corporation that will dominate world soccer for a long time to come.

The merger will certainly challenge the position of the likes of Barcelona Assets and Real Madrid Inc. and at the same time save Arsenal London from the disappointment of perpetually coming up as second best year in year out.

Road blocks to a deal
As of now, the two managers still don't see eye to eye so it would be a miracle how they will both function in the Board of Directors. It is so obvious that hardly will they agree to any suggestion that will position the new corporation for greater heights. embarassed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by iyaegin: 8:36am On Jul 10, 2016
While it is quite obvious that the comments made are just suggestions by the Nairametrics team, it is clear that we still have a bloated number of banks in this country and which should at least reduce by half but come to think of it CBN just licensed about 3 more banks so really what are we talking about here.
Really so sad.
The only drawback of course will be more of jobs by some of the affected bank staff but some sanity has to be brought to the banking space and the CBN does not appear to be helping matters with their double talk on banks.
Some months back every bank was fine, now One bank is in trouble who knows what else there is to come.
Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by Nobody: 9:44am On Jul 10, 2016
BarryX:
People are expressing their useful [size=15pt]opinions[/size] about the flawed analysis and you are busy nosing around mentions without saying anything of note to counter the points raised .

I weak for your thought process

Hypocrite. I am nosing around for mentions isn't it. I wonder what you'd call what you have done.
Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by BarryX(m): 9:57am On Jul 10, 2016
WriteBoy:

Hypocrite. I am nosing around for mentions isn't it. I wonder what you'd call what you have done.
Ignoramus, Give what you are doing a name if not Amebor!!
Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by imakewealth: 3:10pm On Jul 10, 2016
How can Stabic IBTC possibly buy Skye Bank with its huge Assets base? Do you even know that Skye bank is an SIB? Anyway it's just the opinion of the writer/Unfound analyst. Pls Nlanders, disregard dis bullshit.
Finally, do you know that you ca be sued for calling some banks trouble even after CBN came out to say that "No Nigerian Bank is in distress"?
Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by Elektra008(f): 3:17pm On Jul 10, 2016
There are quite a number of inaccuracies in this analysis, some of them are these:
1: Gtb is not the largest bank by capitalisation, it is Zenith. Gtb's profit after tax last year, was 99b while Zenith was 105b. And Zenith has the least percentage of non performing loans in the industry and it is less than 1%
2: first bank is not too big in any way rather their profit over the last two quarters has not been up to par... Little wonder they dey started laying off staff early dis yr. Their profit after tax last year hovered around 70b though.
Re: Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics by uchennn: 3:28pm On Jul 10, 2016
Keneking:
Jonathan sef...I smell real war among customers from ....

Imagine Diamond bank being bought by GTB or Skye Bank buying Fidelity Bank.

Anyway this is still speculative but I would like Nairametrics to adopt point one trailing this original post.

I see your point in FB Holding being too big to be acquired. Although I am of the opinion that FB can be unbundled into smaller parts ...the core business is banking can be acquired easily. Forget all that insurance and pension etc which they have been licensed to operate.

The gross product contributions of those ancillaries to the balance sheet are miniscule.
all these grammar just to comment. Chai! Na only Pa Obahiagbon go understand you.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Truth About Money Rituals, What People Don't Know / CBN Claims They've Been Begging Banks To Take New Naira Notes / Dollar Scarcity Pushes Naira To 352

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.