Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,513 members, 7,819,857 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:37 AM

Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? (34789 Views)

60% Of Married Women Don’t Love Their Husbands- Lady Says, See Response / Why Do Some Married Women Cheat? / Why Do Most Single Ladies Get Angry When Addressed As 'ma' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by crackhaus: 5:14pm On Jul 11, 2016
Mindfulness:

Obviously, there is no law that makes it illegal for women to take on their husband's name.
Whatever the law says, is definitely not that it is illegal to drop your maiden name and take on your husband's name solely.

You are free to dig up the law. Let's see if the law is about women having a choice or women having no choice other than keeping their maiden name. grin

If the law states that it is illegal to take on your husband's name without including your maiden name, then we have criminals in parliament, music industry and football in Greece and also in town halls, in which officials have changed women's names to their husband's names.

There is a law enacted in 1983 in Greece stating that women should retain their birth name legally until death.

You have already seen it and confirmed it, assuming you still know how to make use of technology...but the denial you feel admitting to yourself that I knew this and you never did, is exactly what is eating you up.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by HaneefahRN(f): 5:14pm On Jul 11, 2016
Acidosis:

Yes, it is compulsory to pay bride price to a Nigerian family. It is our Culture.

So why all the cries about it? You can tell your bride's family you ain't interested in paying.

And the Western Ideology is actually changing one's name to the husband's after marriage not the other way round. Only some women of recent have started doing things otherwise. Some men even change their names after marriage, it's nothing so rigid.
The only good reason I see for changing to the husband's name after marriage is for mere identification

1 Like

Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by crackhaus: 5:16pm On Jul 11, 2016
HaneefahRN:

Like changing one's name after marriage wasn't borrowed. Who knows how things were done back then?
It is her choice, it's her identity.
I do, and you would too if only you read up on it.

Knowledge and learning is for everyone.

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by francis18: 5:16pm On Jul 11, 2016
CRACKHAUS MY MAN, WHY ARE YOU WASTING YOUR BRAIN CELLS ON A TEENAGE ATTENTION SEEKING LICKING DESPERATE NAIRALAND WIVES CLUB ASSES? THE BOY HAS A GAME PLAN AND IT'S TO HIT IT OR GET SOME DOLLARS.THE HUSTLE IS REAL.A GOOGLE INFORMED PERSON FORMING CAPTAIN SAVE A HOE ANYTIME HE SEEMS DEM LADIES PACKED ON A THREAD HOPING TO IMPRESS THEM WITH HIS DICTIONARY WRITING SKILLS AND GOOGLE KNOWLEDGE EVEN IF IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE. grin grin grin

MEN OF FAMILY SECTION PLEASE IGNORE THE ATTENTION ASS LIKER TEEN, ARGUE WITH MEN!
BloodyCrook YOUR ATTENTION IS NEEDED,TERMINATOR. grin

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by crackhaus: 5:21pm On Jul 11, 2016
francis18:
CRACKHAUS MY MAN, WHY ARE YOU WASTING YOUR BRAIN CELLS ON A TEENAGE ATTENTION SEEKING LICKING DESPERATE NAIRALAND WIVES CLUB ASSES? THE BOY HAS A GAME PLAN AND IT'S TO HIT IT OR GET SOME DOLLARS.THE HUSTLE IS REAL.A GOOGLE INFORMED PERSON FORMING CAPTAIN SAVE A HOE ANYTIME HE SEEMS DEM LADIES PACKED ON A THREAD HOPING TO IMPRESS THEM WITH HIS DICTIONARY WRITING SKILLS AND GOOGLE KNOWLEDGE EVEN IF IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE. grin grin grin

MEN OF FAMILY SECTION PLEASE IGNORE THE ATTENTION ASS LIKER TEEN, ARGUE WITH MEN!
BloodyCrook YOUR ATTENTION IS NEEDED,TERMINATOR. grin
Oh you mean that Darkenrebel persona...

I'm honestly shocked as to how anyone who is sane will seriously be asking how the US is trying to force homosexuality down everyone's throat, and debating it confidently cheesycheesy

It's obvious something isn't right with whoever that is.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by Nobody: 5:22pm On Jul 11, 2016
crackhaus:

Anyone who can seriously pretend not to know how the US is trying to force other countries into accepting the gay lobby should not even be argued with

Bla Bla. Provide hard facts, not figments of your imagination. Only reason you think I am not to be argued with because I am exposing the loopholes in your wrong-headed assertions.

it's obvious you're one of the many nutters on here who live completely inside their own heads and are not in touch with the reality of the real world. cheesy

Keep this up and you just might win yourself a Nobel Prize for 'always taking off point' before December cheesy

When you mentioned Greece and Rome, were you not responding to my quote about how homosexuality isn't a Negro construct? gringrin
Are Greece and Rome in Africa? So of what relevance is listing them owing to the statement that homosexuality isn't a Negro construct?

As I said I was only making instances, however tangential they might have been. Any smart person would have gotten the point, rather than acting persnickety over details.

Abeg be gone, make I see road..

You quoted me first. I should be the one telling you to go away. . . . . . .

wait for it . . . . . .

Be gone!! wink

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by HaneefahRN(f): 5:24pm On Jul 11, 2016
crackhaus:

I do, and you would too if only you read up on it.

Knowledge and learning is for everyone.

I really don't care enough to start searching for an history of how women must drop their father's name after marriage outside Western influence.

To me this is a non-issue

1 Like

Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by Nobody: 5:24pm On Jul 11, 2016
crackhaus:

There is a law enacted in 1983 in Greece stating that women should retain their birth name legally until death.

Should or can?
Because many Greek women drop their maiden name and take on their husband's name. The evidence is clear.

You have already seen it and confirmed it, assuming you still know how to make use of technology...but the denial you feel admitting to yourself that I knew this and you never did, is exactly what is eating you up.

I am not the person on this forum who is not open to learning and makes every debate about winning so it's not eating me up. and I have even admitted that I didn't know about the laws in Italy so I wonder how you made this conclusion.

But I have also shown you famous Greek females who have dropped their maiden names to accept their husband's name so what are we still discussing?
Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by joseph1832(m): 5:26pm On Jul 11, 2016
crackhaus:

I'm honestly shocked as to how anyone will seriously be asking how the US is trying to force homosexuality down everyone's throat, and debating it confidently cheesycheesy

Of course something isn't right. Something went wrong the moment internet became affordable for even rodents and sea urchins to purchase with their monthly stipend given them by their parents.

That fellow can kiss the devil's ass just to get a high five.

8 Likes

Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by francis18: 5:27pm On Jul 11, 2016
crackhaus:

Anyone who can seriously pretend not to know how the US is trying to force other countries into accepting the gay lobby should not even be argued with - it's obvious you're one of the many nutters on here who live completely inside their own heads and are not in touch with the reality of the real world. cheesy

When you mentioned Greece and Rome, were you not responding to my quote about how homosexuality isn't a Negro construct? gringrin
Are Greece and Rome in Africa? So of what relevance is listing them owing to the statement that homosexuality isn't a Negro construct?

Abeg be gone, make I see road..

GOOGLE KNOWLEDGE BROTHER,GOOGLE DON TIRE FOR THIS BOY HAND.HE IS GETTING THE LADIES ATTENTION WHY NOT?
PLEASE FORGET THE TEENAGE DONT EVEN QUOTE HIM,DESPERATION AND HUSTLE IS REAL.IF YOU SEE THE KID YOU ARE ARGUING WITH,YOU WILL SHOOT YOURSELF. grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by speciallymade(m): 5:28pm On Jul 11, 2016
What's the essence of this argument? What will it do to resuscitate Nigerian dying economy?
If you as a woman like keep your father's name, who cares? If you like hyphenate, it's your choice.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by crackhaus: 5:32pm On Jul 11, 2016
HaneefahRN:

I really don't care enough to start searching for an history of how women must drop their father's name after marriage outside Western influence.

To me this is a non-issue
That is not what you should read up on.

You said that even taking one's husband name could be a borrowed culture, because we can't know what was happening in the very old days.

And I said you can know what happened in the very distant history of Nigeria by reading to know what was and was not, generally speaking.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by joseph1832(m): 5:32pm On Jul 11, 2016
HaneefahRN:
How does wanting to keep one's father's name relate to feminism undecided

Anything some guys don't like these days must be tagged feminism and in negative light. People have various reasons for whatever they do, your points a, b, c might have nothing to do with it. Is it your name or theirs?
The questions the OP raised have a lot to do with personal choice, nothing more, nothing less.

Any woman who wants to shed her maiden name can do so, if she likes. Its entirely up to her husband and her.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by Nobody: 5:33pm On Jul 11, 2016
crackhaus:

I'm honestly shocked as to how anyone will seriously be asking how the US is trying to force homosexuality down everyone's throat, and debating it confidently cheesycheesy

I asked you to tell me how they were shoving it down our throats and instead you were saying stuffs like: 'Because a gay man sued a dating site. Because a gay couple filed a law suit'. . .bla bla bla

Is this how you argue?

Debating any further with you would have cost me to lose some brain cells for sure.

Stop getting emotional. You were asked to state your points, instead you upchucked a melange of unconvincing and unrelated flim-flam. I didn't buy your talks and so something must be wrong with me? Grow up, buddy.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by francis18: 5:36pm On Jul 11, 2016
LMAO SEE THIS CLOWN grin grin grin LOSE SOME BRAIN CELLS INDEED FOR JOBLESS TEEN BOY?
GROW UP?? HE DIDNT JUST SAID THAT,OR DID IT? shocked shocked shocked grin grin grin
THIS BOY IS THE BIGGEST CLOWN ON NAIRALAND,SEE WHAT POVERTY DON COST.HE ADDS BUDDY?? ABI BODY OR AM I GOING BLIND? grin grin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by HaneefahRN(f): 5:38pm On Jul 11, 2016
joseph1832:
The questions the OP raised have a lot to do with personal choice, nothing more, nothing less.

Any woman who wants to shed her maiden name can do so, if she likes. Its entirely up to her husband and her.

Yeah. That is what I'm talking about to. It's a choice. They are painting it like it's a bad thing if a woman chooses to retain her maiden name.
If she likes she can shed it, if she likes she makes it a compound one, some people even use their husband's first name rather than family name. She owns her identity.

The post was obviously to paint women who retain their father's names in bad light.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by crackhaus: 5:38pm On Jul 11, 2016
speciallymade:
What's the essence of this argument? What will it do to resuscitate Nigerian dying economy?
If you as a woman like keep your father's name, who cares? If you like hyphenate, it's your choice.
People are here discussing how it became a thing in Nigeria to want to keep maiden names, it is an enlightening discussion.

Same way you argue about friend-zone and girlfriends on romance section with no direct effect on the Nigerian economy.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by HaneefahRN(f): 5:40pm On Jul 11, 2016
crackhaus:

That is not what you should read up on.

You said that even taking one's husband name could be a borrowed culture, because we can't know what was happening in the very old days.

And I said you can know what happened in the very distant history of Nigeria by reading to know what was and was not, generally speaking.

Alright. I grab now. Of course.
I only spoke in relation to the issue too, not outside that.
Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by crackhaus: 5:41pm On Jul 11, 2016
joseph1832:
Of course something isn't right. Something went wrong the moment internet became affordable for even rodents and sea urchins to purchase with their monthly stipend given them by their parents.

That fellow can kiss the devil's ass just to get a high five.
Lol.. gringrin
Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by iamord(m): 5:48pm On Jul 11, 2016
darkenedrebel:

But this has and is still practiced in some parts in Ghana. I cannot remember the names of the tribes now, but in those tribes in Ghana, the man takes up the woman's name. It's not necessarily a 'western ideology' as you put it.
Its not true
Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by francis18: 5:49pm On Jul 11, 2016
iamord:
Its not true

LMAO YOU CATCH AM? HE READ IT ON GOOGLE FORGIVE THE TEEN grin grin grin.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by crackhaus: 5:51pm On Jul 11, 2016
Mindfulness:

It's your opinion and you are entitled to it. You can go about it this way once you find a female you want to marry.

I believe that the fact that a man has no sons and one of his daughters decides to keep her father's name is understandable, too.
I also understand that some women feel very strong about their family's name and wouldn't want to give it up. They have been carrying this name for decades and for one reason or another love it. What's so bad about it?

gringringrin

Take your meds and quit drooling all over me. tongue
Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by joseph1832(m): 5:54pm On Jul 11, 2016
HaneefahRN:

Yeah. That is what I'm talking about to. It's a choice. They are painting it like it's a bad thing if a woman chooses to retain her maiden name.
If she likes she can shed it, if she likes she makes it a compound one, some people even use their husband's first name rather than family name. She owns her identity.

The post was obviously to paint women who retain their father's names in bad light.
The problem with today's men and woman have always been their failure and inability to ask pertinent questions.

For instance, how will my wife keeping her maiden name, or using my surname make us happy? Or live happily ever after?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by HaneefahRN(f): 5:58pm On Jul 11, 2016
joseph1832:
The problem with today's men and woman have always been their failure and inability to ask pertinent questions.

For instance, how will my wife keeping her maiden name, or using my surname make us happy? Or live happily ever after?

Thank you so much!

Making non-issues a big deal

1 Like

Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by BloodyCrook: 6:03pm On Jul 11, 2016
darkenedrebel:

Bla Bla. Provide hard facts, not figments of your imagination. Only reason you think I am not to be argued with because I am exposing the loopholes in your wrong-headed assertions.

Keep this up and you just might win yourself a Nobel Prize for 'always taking off point' before December cheesy

As I said I was only making instances, however tangential they might have been. Any smart person would have gotten the point, rather than acting persnickety over details.

You quoted me first. I should be the one telling you to go away. . . . . . .

wait for it . . . . . .

Be gone!! wink

You are here again with your plans. Before anything let me point you to hard facts.

When Nigeria enacted the anti-gay laws, the BBC reported that Nigerians who didnt support gay was a whooping 89%, then it asked the question why would a country so overwhelmingly against homosexuality pass the law?

And the BBC answered that question all by itself: because the West is trying to arm twist African government into accepting it as part of fundamental human rights .

When Ghana sought to pass the antigay laws, David Cameron the disgraced UK prime Minister told Ghana in no uncertain terms that food grants, aids and benefits will be stopped!!! More than 70% of Ghana's budget is dependent on Western aid.

Darkenedrebel, I know your sole purpose is to get warm and comfortable with elderly women so you can scam and betray them like you did in Romance section and got busted. The shortest way to achieve this is to support and endorse questionable polices and conventions.

You claimed to be 19 years of age, but a close look at your activities shows you stalk and suck up to older females in their 30's.

You don't know anything beyond movie lines and Google abuse.

In 2014 gays in great Britain were just 2% of the population yet they are forcing Africans to institutionalise gay. That doesn't tell you anything of course.

You're only looking for a dollar from some lonely, love-beaten elderly woman here.

Cc Crackhaus
Francis18
Joseph1832
Iamord

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by speciallymade(m): 6:09pm On Jul 11, 2016
crackhaus:

People are here discussing how it became a thing in Nigeria to want to keep maiden names, it is an enlightening discussion.

Same way you argue about friend-zone and girlfriends on romance section with no direct effect on the Nigerian economy.
ook pele.. Keep up the good work
Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by larabae13(f): 6:11pm On Jul 11, 2016
crackhaus:

Lol.. gringrin
hey crackhaus...I wish to solicit for ur support/vote for falconey for mr nairaland 2016, i'm sure u would be impressed with his threads wen u visit his profile for review. I look foward to a favorable reply from you dear. Thanks so much...sorry I intruded on ur post wink

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by joseph1832(m): 6:30pm On Jul 11, 2016
HaneefahRN:

Thank you so much!

Making non-issues a big deal
Exactly. Its the very thing that is wrong with this country.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by Nobody: 6:31pm On Jul 11, 2016
crackhaus:

gringringrin

Take your meds and quit drooling all over me. tongue

If I were drooling all over you, you would say 'yes ma, amen' even to feminism. grin grin grin

Anyway, it's a pity people are unable to have civil discussions here. The thread has changed into something else again. undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by shaybebaby(f): 6:38pm On Jul 11, 2016
Mindfulness:

Thanks. kiss
No law as far as he is aware, most women keep their father's name and compound it with the spouses surname especially if there are children.
But most commonly, women retain their maiden names, his grandma still goes by her maiden name even though she has been married since she was 16. They do this for convenience and retaining the identity they were born with. Not something new as a consequence of feminism as your mate would like to imply.xx

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by Nobody: 7:06pm On Jul 11, 2016
iamord:
Its not true

Really? I read it in a book written by Asare Konaduu long long time ago. I'll clarify when I have the chance.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by Acidosis(m): 7:08pm On Jul 11, 2016
HaneefahRN:

So why all the cries about it? You can tell your bride's family you ain't interested in paying.

And the Western Ideology is actually changing one's name to the husband's after marriage not the other way round. Only some women of recent have started doing things otherwise. Some men even change their names after marriage, it's nothing so rigid.
The only good reason I see for changing to the husband's name after marriage is for mere identification

Do you have a younger sister? smiley Can I boycott the price and still marry her? smiley

Meanwhile, changing to the husband's name is not for mere identification. In fact, that is the only thing that shows a woman is married aside the material ring which can be worn and purchased by anyone. Every other frivolous activities including the millions spent on a Saturday, jollof rice, aso ebi and wedding gown, are the actual mere.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply)

How I Shared Christmas Money Between My Parents And Inlaw / Nigerian Lady Celebrates Her Divorce, Calls Out Those Responsible For It / Nigerian Woman Recreates Her Mother's Photo With Her Own Daughter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.