Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,792 members, 7,817,286 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:31 AM

My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls (18085 Views)

What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? / The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft / Which Of The Punishment Did You Hate Back At School. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by Ijesha78: 12:08pm On Jul 12, 2016
Please go and read about "Selective Mutism". Sounds like you may need to take your son for an assessment. A little girl in my family was like that. We had to engage the services of a speech pathologist. Selective mutism is due to social anxiety but can be reversed.

3 Likes

Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by harrysjones(m): 12:09pm On Jul 12, 2016
HE NEED prayer prayer is d master key
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by chigoziri2403(m): 12:09pm On Jul 12, 2016
The learning environment is not conducive for him, he has a phobia for his teacher and school mates, he must have had a bad experience sometime, change his school and see wonders

3 Likes

Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by Opistorincos(m): 12:11pm On Jul 12, 2016
Your son is an introvert
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by dayveed1(m): 12:11pm On Jul 12, 2016
I used to be like that... Lol teacher problems...
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by Freshpage(m): 12:12pm On Jul 12, 2016
The boy might feel he is not welcome in the school. He will make him not want to associate or interact with people he sees in the school. I will advice u change his school.

1 Like

Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by prinsam30: 12:12pm On Jul 12, 2016
I used to be like him but now I'm Smarter more Intelligent and Cool headed than my teacher who taught me.....

my advice...... pls let the child be, u will be amazed with what you will see when the time comes, positively he will grow and u will never regret taking any action against him.....

2 Likes

Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by AfroKnight: 12:12pm On Jul 12, 2016
Waiting for those who would blame his teacher. As if the poems he recites at home were not learnt in class. A good thing, the teacher brought this situation to your notice.

The issue is with the child. Ask him the names of the children in his class, ask if he has a friend among them. He needs to be free among his classmates.

I suspect he is an intelligent and observant child who doesn't feel like talking in school for reasons best known to him. You just have to coax him.
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by Nobody: 12:13pm On Jul 12, 2016
I would see a Psychologist If I were the parents of the kid...
Better yet get to know another parent with a kid in the same class as your child and get them to be friends, visiting and such.
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by Earth2Metahuman: 12:14pm On Jul 12, 2016
yanabasee:
At home... Do you allow your son to play around with his peers in your neighbourhood?..

His relationship with the neighbours will go along way to enhance his social life.. If you stay where there are no neighbours around.. Try to bring in ur brothers or sister's children for visitation during weekends....

I used to be like him... But in my case.. I wasn't able to speak English language which was the only means of communication in the school... So I'll find it very difficult to associate with other kids in the school..
hehehehehe those days.. You no ho talk.. By the time you leave school, the kind smell that will come from your mouth after closing it all day can kill a whale. grin

1 Like

Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by Neerah18: 12:14pm On Jul 12, 2016
Tell the management you want his class changed. Maybe, just maybe his class teacher is too strict. If he still doesnt change, change his school

1 Like

Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by Oyimeoyimemua(f): 12:17pm On Jul 12, 2016
Omotakins:
hmmmmnnm.....so, how do we solve it?
sound friendly and find out what normally happens in class
how does the class teacher relate with pupils

kick start a conversation about his school and observe his reactions and response

find out from the class teacher how your child relates with other kids in class and out of class

ask him intentional questions about his teacher

ask him to tell you the names of his friends in d class

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by asatemple(f): 12:18pm On Jul 12, 2016
The teacher is the problem, a good teacher is supposed to have a good knowledge of the learner, traits and weaknesses. Bring him to my school (blossoms int'l school, ph) and give him one term

2 Likes

Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by okangisaiah(f): 12:19pm On Jul 12, 2016
Omotakins:
My son(almost 4yrs) is in the reception class. He doesn't respond to teachings at school, doesn't talk or play. This is the exact opposite at home. Plays very well at home, sings and talks about all he's taught in the school. He responds very well to the teachings of his home teacher. His teacher in school is saying he will repeat class 'cos there is nothing to show he's learnt things. What do I do? Teachers, educators and Co, ur help is needed pls.

Pls change him from that school to another and also try to lovingly teach him the one you can at home .
My daughter was exactly like that some years ago, I change her to another school within a month she became different . Even though the fee is high, I feel her intelligence is worth it. I also come to realise that she is a gifted child as she takes first in middle term exam, terminal exam and always the best in her section for the past 4 yrs . Buy the necessary textbooks and more importantly don't fail to pray for the child. Cheers

3 Likes

Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by Immanuelanicole(f): 12:21pm On Jul 12, 2016
Change his school. Maybe his teacher is very harsh on him so he is scared.

1 Like

Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by Zoehill(m): 12:22pm On Jul 12, 2016
My brother, there is nothing wrong with your son. He is brilliant, my daughter of 2 plus is a smart happy girl when she started school but latter i realized that she wet her pants instead of calling her Áunty when she need to visit the toilet. There was a day i stayed back to take her to school only for her to decilined that she is not attending school that day, being a child i left her at home and visited the school myself only to see the Aunty bulling the small children under the disguise of being stressed. I have never seen where nursery/KG AUNTIES will be shouting at the top of their voices on little children. I changed her from the school that day and now she crave to leave home everyday for school.
Please find time to speak with your son and ask him if Aunty do beat or maltreat him, once he can talk. He will give you some clue.............not all females are mothers.

6 Likes

Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by missuzoma: 12:22pm On Jul 12, 2016
my girl's teacher once had this same complaint. she was not responding to anything including her name and just stared at the teacher. when i asked her what was wrong, she simply told me the teacher was calling her Ifeoma instead of Ihuoma. can you imagine! check the school and teacher well!

2 Likes

Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by barbie1018: 12:23pm On Jul 12, 2016
You should have a word with the teacher. Also,? You can stay in your son's class to see how he's taught. I'm sure with your presence, he will interact with others.
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by octopusfreaky(f): 12:24pm On Jul 12, 2016
His teacher should be blamed, some children just need"extra" love and attention and his teacher isnt dong that talk to the teacher to give him that and u will see changes..Cc Omotakins

1 Like

Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by unite4real: 12:25pm On Jul 12, 2016
Omotakins:
My son(almost 4yrs) is in the reception class. He doesn't respond to teachings at school, doesn't talk or play. This is the exact opposite at home. Plays very well at home, sings and talks about all he's taught in the school. He responds very well to the teachings of his home teacher. His teacher in school is saying he will repeat class 'cos there is nothing to show he's learnt things. What do I do? Teachers, educators and Co, ur help is needed pls.

simple. Just change his school. He doesnt like somethings about that school. could be the teacher, the environment or some sort of fobia.

Get the teacher's phone number and address. after 5 years, take him to visit the teacher to enable him see the transformation.

1 Like

Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by TDstarr: 12:25pm On Jul 12, 2016
Omotakins:
change school.
.. I was like that when I was young... Dad used to tell me he likes taking me to places because I don't talk.... I had to change school thrice when I was in primary before I became the genius I am today... Graduate of law by God's grace... Doing very well

2 Likes

Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by drss(m): 12:25pm On Jul 12, 2016
Omotakins:
no cause for alarm except if his teachers n his fellow pupils ar bullies. i used to be like him. quiet in d class room but a terror at home.
d boy dey early stage of learning.
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by ladyverere(f): 12:25pm On Jul 12, 2016
Op pls carry ur boy on ur lap, cuddle and play with him for a bit den try to coax him to share his experience and feelings about school, his teachers and classmates. It is like he is being victimized or put down in school by his teacher because he may have exhibited a character pattern that may have made the teacher thinks he is dull. So many of our teachers don't really know their jobs. So find out everything you can about the school, his teacher and classmates. Draw ur son out with patience and love. I grew up like ur son, my parents never cared to find out but I have vowed my kids will never go through same. It can be very traumatic.

4 Likes

Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by Nobody: 12:27pm On Jul 12, 2016
Change school asap. We had a similar experience. My second son was like that when he started school. He was 2 plus. He couldn't fit into their system. We noticed that when we take him to school in f morning, he moves to a corner in d class and stays on his own. If I or my wife went to d school during school hours or during their breaks, he is always alone. The teacher made d same observations and regularly informed us.After two terms we took him to another school which happens to my first son's school (we took d 2nd boy a different school because of paucity of funds). He came alive immediately. In fact d new teacher said she's yet to see a new pupil feel as much at home in a new school on d first day at school as my son. From that first day he was d most active, the most talkative and he did by far better in his school work than he ever did in the former school. In the school's end of session party at the end of that term, he danced more than all the other pupils in his class. I wasn't there but my wife captured it on video. My biggest challenge at home is keeping quiet and in one place.
So my advice: change school immediately. There may be things inhibiting him in d present school which of course he can't say. It could be something minor. It could a serious issue. U may never know. Just change school

5 Likes

Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by tatucci: 12:27pm On Jul 12, 2016
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
hakeem4:
There's only one solution

koboko
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by yomalex(m): 12:27pm On Jul 12, 2016
missuzoma:
my girl's teacher once had this same complaint. she was not responding to anything including her name and just stared at the teacher. when i asked her what was wrong, she simply told me the teacher was calling her Ifeoma instead of Ihuoma. can you imagine! check the school and teacher well!
My goodness she was simply waiting to be called

2 Likes

Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by octopusfreaky(f): 12:29pm On Jul 12, 2016
AfroKnight:
Waiting for those who would blame his teacher. As if the poems he recites at home were not learnt in class. A good thing, the teacher brought this situation to your notice.

The issue is with the child. Ask him the names of the children in his class, ask if he has a friend among them. He needs to be free among his classmates.

I suspect he is an intelligent and observant child who doesn't feel like talking in school for reasons best known to him. You just have to coax him.
yes his teacher should be blamed,, a Kindergarten teacher should be able to receive children warmly and must be friendly. Pay extra attention to the child and u will see changes. I dont fnk Nigerian teacher are patient enough.

1 Like

Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by sweetilicious(f): 12:29pm On Jul 12, 2016
AnonyNymous:

But does he play with friends in the neighbourhood, or is he alone? If he's alone, or just with his parents, he probably might not be used to interacting with others and might close himself up out of fear, or just being shy. If he does play with friends, then its possible that he's scared of the teacher, maybe try to find out if anything has happened between the teacher and your son. All the best sir.
Yes he is not comfortable with the teacher. Maybe the teacher flogs him always of instills fears in him with harsh tone of corrections. Work closely with the teacher. Try to bring him or her home once in a while. He must be a smart kid. No worries

3 Likes

Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by drss(m): 12:30pm On Jul 12, 2016
ladyverere:
Op pls carry ur boy on ur lap, cuddle and play with him for a bit den try to coax him to share his experience and feelings about school, his teachers and classmates. It is like he is being victimized or put down in school by his teacher because he may have exhibited a character pattern that may have made the teacher thinks he is dull. So many of our teachers don't really know their jobs. So find out everything you can about the school, his teacher and classmates. Draw ur son out with patience and love. I grew up like ur son, my parents never cared to find out but I have vowed my kids will never go through same. It can be very traumatic.
true talk. e get teachers wey no suppose near skool gate talkless of teaching students. na d type wey no sabi teach.

4 Likes

Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by Nobody: 12:30pm On Jul 12, 2016
Omotakins:
he is not comfortable there, i still do it till now, there is nothing wrong with him, he needs to feel relax there, he will get over it

1 Like

Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by ladyverere(f): 12:31pm On Jul 12, 2016
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by kiddkash(m): 12:33pm On Jul 12, 2016
Omotakins:
May be he is out of his comfort zone, try enrolling him in the school where his play mates at home goes to so he will feel comfortable being around them. i.e. show me your friends and I will tell you who you are

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Hijab: Court Strikes Out Human Right Suit Against University Of Ibadan School / Sources Of Funding EDUCATION In Nigeria / Kaduna State Sacks 4,562 Newly Recruited Teachers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.