Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,046 members, 7,835,530 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:26 AM

Please Can A Kia Picanto Transit Between Lagos And Port Harcourt - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Please Can A Kia Picanto Transit Between Lagos And Port Harcourt (13823 Views)

Advices On A Kia Soul / Who Knows The Price Of A Kia Cerato,rio And Hyundia 2013 And 2014 / Where To Do Up A Kia Rio In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Can A Kia Picanto Transit Between Lagos And Port Harcourt by snapshot: 11:07am On Sep 25, 2009
sayso:

Kia picanto,is this not that small car that looks like keke na pepe?
from Lagos to Port Harcourt on Kia Picanto? JUST kuku trek down instead or use a bicycle
D1KeleVra:

@Topic
You wan kill urself ni? cheesy the car go jus burst for road

Re: Please Can A Kia Picanto Transit Between Lagos And Port Harcourt by erico2k2(m): 11:13am On Sep 25, 2009
@Poster
KIA is a good brand as its fuel effitient,but for that long journey you plan then its a NO-No for the picanto,a 1.1L engine is good for withing ur town, if that car does up to 130Km on the Highway its definately gonna vibrate  and go very light ie reduce the force of gravity on it thereby increase the risk of veering off the road,I know what Im talking about,on the other hand if you plan on driving at 80KM/H max then you are aight  but then you might get to Lagos the next day  lol, so my advice to you is sell ur old car add money to the cas you got at hand  and get yourself a near new toks if you insist on long Journeys go for the BMWs and Mecs if you can afford fuel if not go for Honda or Toyota get a 2000 model and above  the you are fine, in the EU and America there is high mentainace culture they dont manage ie no patching of tyres   grin grin grin, buy new ones straight  and they got legal limits too.
Re: Please Can A Kia Picanto Transit Between Lagos And Port Harcourt by hardbody: 11:21am On Sep 25, 2009
@poster.
I hope this is not coming late.  Kia Picanto as a car can take you to PH and back. I was travelling last year Easter (Lag to somewhere after Aba) and i ran into this Picanto at the Ore traffic jam (regular travellers to the east by road will understand). When i manouvered my way out, i was drinking a gourd of palwine at Umunede when the car came and passed, it was the only picanto in that trip. I saw it again at Onitsha traffic and i followed that Picanto till we got to Aba where i veered off and it continued its journey (perhaps to the south eastern parts).

My points are (1) A new car is a new car and cant be compared to any Tokunbo no matter how new ( I have driven both and i can tell, indeed i have vowed NEVER to buy a Tokunbo product again, not when i can lease the whole world if i want) (2) Picanto can get to wherever a twin-cam turbo charged V8 engine can get to, its just that because the capacity is smaller, you will need to be refuelling at intervals of at least 150 kilometres (3) Luxurious buses contend the roads with motor bikes, a picanto is a full fledged car and cant be blown out of the road by a trailer or a luxurious bus(admittedly any collision will have a more terrible impact bc it is smaller). Pick your Kia Picanto and drive safely to and from PH.
Re: Please Can A Kia Picanto Transit Between Lagos And Port Harcourt by erico2k2(m): 11:23am On Sep 25, 2009
snapshot:

from Lagos to Port Harcourt on Kia Picanto? JUST kuku trek down instead or use a bicycle
Guy you make me laugh sotay I fall from chair  grin grin
Re: Please Can A Kia Picanto Transit Between Lagos And Port Harcourt by Realpoint(m): 11:56am On Sep 25, 2009
@poster,

Please go and ask any mechanics the risk of using car with lesser engine capacity to travel long distance and the importance of travelling with a bigger engine car.

Firstly new car is always new car but one should strongly think/look what the car is needed for? Remember cars lifespan is not about age but how frequent one is maintaining/servicing it?As for me if you are a traveller don't go for small engine like Picanto.

Look,good European and American car will be useful for this purpose of travelling than Picanto.

Anyone one that claimed to have seen Picanto along expressway should think how frequent such car like Picanto is seeing moving long distance journey.So if your travelling is once in a year then maybe you will not have problem with Picanto.

Go for any of Picanto or good toks base on your need not for sake of riding new or toks car.
Re: Please Can A Kia Picanto Transit Between Lagos And Port Harcourt by gshyne(m): 12:23pm On Sep 25, 2009
i can tell u all from experience of using a kia picanto that  its quite a nice cheap likkle car to run. Only problem is Nigerian roads will kill d poor car. i had a brand new Picanto here in the uk and i drove it as far as france belgium and holland with no hitch whatsoever. i got some 30,000 miles out of the car in 2 years before part exchanging it for a golf. most times d issue is with the state of nigerian road and not d cars people tend to complain about. and yes d terrible traffic situation is a car killer too. tongue tongue tongue
Re: Please Can A Kia Picanto Transit Between Lagos And Port Harcourt by ayobase(m): 1:06pm On Sep 25, 2009
All pieces of advice given already.
And should be strictly adhere to.

Nigeria Is Blessed.
Re: Please Can A Kia Picanto Transit Between Lagos And Port Harcourt by llade(m): 1:37pm On Sep 25, 2009
ayobase:

All pieces of advice given already.
And should be strictly adhere to.

Nigeria Is Blessed.
Thanks to all of u for ur valuable advice. I can assure u that I will act based on the advice u all have given.
Re: Please Can A Kia Picanto Transit Between Lagos And Port Harcourt by tayoTFC(m): 1:41pm On Sep 25, 2009
Some of your opinion may seem true but not completely true.
Are u saying that new cars do not give the problems you just mentioned above. having a car and enjoying it is mostly about having a good maintenance culture. And whats wrong if he decides to be driving himself to Port harcourt instead of flying?  Its his choice and it could be safe as well.What he needs is advice on whether kia picanto can withstand the stress or not

i have answer the poster question JESUS speak in porable, and he has taking my advise, period.
new car will  guaranty u no problem for 3yr since u are the first user, talking from experience.

And whats wrong if he decides to be driving himself to Port harcourt instead of flying? [s]what wrong going on sucide mission to from lagos to PH on niugeria road[/s] Its his choice and it could be safe as well.What he needs is advice on whether kia picanto can withstand the stress or not
so u advice him to take the risk of facing the bad road, arm robbry, reckless driving of the tankers and truck drivers, stress of the long hr journey, etc, are u a nigerian? sorry ooo u dont no much about nigeria road,
Re: Please Can A Kia Picanto Transit Between Lagos And Port Harcourt by tayoTFC(m): 1:57pm On Sep 25, 2009
dont ever think of buying a tokubo car , for what ever grade, buy new and affordable new car, and do the servicing regulary as advice by the service provider, one of my friend just had and accident this morning, i just came back from the hospital where he was admitted , his car is camrry 2002 model reg xt173ikj. he bought the car february. from kutonu. first grade and the dealer claim the car has Airbag not knowning that the Airbag is bad,damage or removed by gready seller, unfortunately he had accident the Airbag can not save my friend and did not even shot out, to prevent him hitting is head/cheast with stearing, now hospitalised, too bad , if it was a new car u are rest assure that the Air bag is there for ur safety.at least.
so bros, pls, nigeria road is not good for tokunbo expecially for long hr journey pls save ur money and life and buy any new car , regardless of the engine capacyty it will take u from lagos to madiuguri, it a matter of time.new car is new , tokunbo is as good as old car,
Re: Please Can A Kia Picanto Transit Between Lagos And Port Harcourt by MrKelly: 2:02pm On Sep 25, 2009
I'll rather go for Elantra. That ride is damn sweet.
Re: Please Can A Kia Picanto Transit Between Lagos And Port Harcourt by 3kay945(m): 2:21pm On Sep 25, 2009
all i know i say! just dnt get trapped!!
Re: Please Can A Kia Picanto Transit Between Lagos And Port Harcourt by mrofficial(m): 2:49pm On Sep 25, 2009
[size=15pt]Why are they talking about fuel efficiency? You buy a car that will save your fuel and kill you half-way to where you are going. Anyhow, save your fuel and kill yourself.[/size]
Re: Please Can A Kia Picanto Transit Between Lagos And Port Harcourt by Aks(m): 4:33pm On Sep 25, 2009
Re: Please Can A Kia Picanto Transit Between Lagos And Port Harcourt by ProfJYK(m): 4:43pm On Sep 25, 2009
Some guys made it across continental US (NY 2 LA) on rollerblades. Cairo 2 Joburgh was by bicycle. U hav a 1.1 ltr engine @ ur service, men "go on my son". (Picanto slogan)
Re: Please Can A Kia Picanto Transit Between Lagos And Port Harcourt by ProfJYK(m): 4:43pm On Sep 25, 2009
Some guys made it across continental US (NY 2 LA) on rollerblades. Cairo 2 Joburgh was by bicycle. U hav a 1.1 ltr engine @ ur service, men "go on my son". (Picanto slogan)
Re: Please Can A Kia Picanto Transit Between Lagos And Port Harcourt by Aks(m): 4:46pm On Sep 25, 2009
some responses are kinda funny while some makes lot of sense.

Ilade has read all and i know he has made up his mind on what to do.

GOD bless the initiator of this tread and the contributors, it's such an interesting, educative and funny tread as well.
Re: Please Can A Kia Picanto Transit Between Lagos And Port Harcourt by tushbobo(m): 5:25pm On Sep 25, 2009
buy a recent model of a used car instead,even a camry 2000/2001 will serve u longer and better with little maintenance costs
Re: Please Can A Kia Picanto Transit Between Lagos And Port Harcourt by princeparis(m): 6:34pm On Sep 25, 2009
I drive my mazda 323 (toks) regularly to Ph and back without any hitch and i also dont have maintenance problems. It all about the condition of the car and mindset of owner. Though there are always differences btw a used car (toks) and a new car (tear rubber). For travelling long distances frequently, a kia picanto will not last long because of the engine capacity (1.1L) is not design for such. Cars like the camrys, sonatas, accords optimas etc with bigger engines and reinforced suspensions will make for a smooth and comfortable ride with no headache given the condition of Nigerian roads.
Re: Please Can A Kia Picanto Transit Between Lagos And Port Harcourt by sandee575(f): 7:13pm On Sep 25, 2009
For such a journey, you will need to take some clothing with
you among other things. Kia Picanto has no boot.
Re: Please Can A Kia Picanto Transit Between Lagos And Port Harcourt by hectoro(f): 5:14am On Sep 26, 2009
Hm,

Cant say much about the PICANTO, but have driven a Kia Rio since Oct/2008. Use it to do monthly trips to Ado Ekiti, Abeokuta, Akure, Sagamu and Ijebu-Ode and daily work runs in Lagos. Havent had any issues - I service approx every quarter; costs me less than 10k on each occasion. I did have a period when bad fuel stalled me but it was sorted out asap, no grammer and again for less than 10k. While I am not a 'professional' driver, I can say that the car has given me value for money as the peace of mind that comes with a new car is beyond the understanding of people who havent gone there, I dont deal with scruffy, incompetent,dishonest people masquerading as mechanics;all I do is check my tire pressure & make sure I buy good fuel. There's a warranty & workshops are in convenient locations and allow u to retain your sanity - no smelly mechanic siphoning ur fuel & leaving ciggy smells/oil smear marks on ur seats, Speed is not a crucial factor for me in purchasing a car; have managed occasionally 2 get to 140km on the semi-deserted highway of Ilesha-Ife, but I would say you should stick to 100kms because our roads are disaster zones & police/bus/truck drivers are INSANE!!! I also dont have plans to use the car for more than 3 years, by which time I can buy another new car(God willing with a brand new MERCEDES)!.
My advice is save a bit more, buy a Rio/Accent(wind factor of those luxurious buses would scare u in a picanto oh), drive very carefully and plan to replace it in 3 years. Good luck.
Re: Please Can A Kia Picanto Transit Between Lagos And Port Harcourt by erico2k2(m): 7:46am On Sep 26, 2009
^^^^^^ Best advice so far cheesy
Re: Please Can A Kia Picanto Transit Between Lagos And Port Harcourt by Nobody: 9:47am On Sep 26, 2009
of course a kia picanto is good and can make it to port harcourt, its just that that will be some kind of risk if done over and over.
Re: Please Can A Kia Picanto Transit Between Lagos And Port Harcourt by MrKelly: 1:01pm On Sep 26, 2009
Of course, Picanto can make it to PH but I doubt if it can make it back to Lagos in one piece
Re: Please Can A Kia Picanto Transit Between Lagos And Port Harcourt by oseiwe(m): 2:58pm On Sep 26, 2009
The car go quench once e reach amukpe junction!
Re: Please Can A Kia Picanto Transit Between Lagos And Port Harcourt by kshow1(m): 10:01pm On Sep 26, 2009
SOMEONE PLEASE CALL 911, SOMEBODY IS ON THE VERGE OF COMMITING SUICIDE grin grin
Re: Please Can A Kia Picanto Transit Between Lagos And Port Harcourt by D1KeleVra(m): 11:32pm On Sep 26, 2009
*that number is currently disconnected* tongue
Re: Please Can A Kia Picanto Transit Between Lagos And Port Harcourt by msb247(m): 10:50am On Sep 27, 2009
Yes but not a good idea. Little fuel tank capacity and small tires.
Re: Please Can A Kia Picanto Transit Between Lagos And Port Harcourt by ikeyman00(m): 12:12pm On Sep 27, 2009
@@@@@@@@@@@@@

ok ok let me in

100 hand or 2nd hand

how many people in UK buy brand new car?

so what are nigerians talkin about??

i think regular maintainance is essential!!

hahhaha brand new car?? yea u cant be serious? havent u heard about em some car called back after production as fault is detected??

kia or no kia, its obvoius the car will still do the jounery however there are lots and lots of factort stacked against that!! simple

the drivers as well need a row to play as not to over power the engine

one wonder if thats the case then; a lots of airline would have been out of buzniess?? one trip then brand new jet engine abi?

[size=21pt]well by now i m sure there are lots of decent sizable cars in nigeria for u??[/size]

so u should be able to make ur mind up by now i guess

kia can reach and reach and reach whereever but em is brand new car aqauintance really the subject here?
Re: Please Can A Kia Picanto Transit Between Lagos And Port Harcourt by Nobody: 11:32am On Sep 28, 2009
well i support HARDBODY 100%

i was driving from PH to Lagos claiming i was doing good speed at 120- 140km/h , out of the blues a Picanto over took me, i was in shock and disbelieve

i chased the picanto and chased the picanto, i only got to the guy when we stopped at benin to buy fuel.

i engaged him in a dialogue he said he went to ph from lagos and he is on his way back,

it is not in car it is in the driver in most cases.

you cannot compare a new car to a tokunbo, i have seen a lot of tokunbo that dont make it to the east during festive periods, they mostly die of overheating caused by stress

a picanto would definitily make it to ph with less fuel consumption, while u drive at 100 to 120km/h
Re: Please Can A Kia Picanto Transit Between Lagos And Port Harcourt by lawyerchap(m): 10:36am On Sep 29, 2009
I really think that people who have no personal experience in this matter should refrain from throwing out opinions formed by hearsay and perception. You need to have experienced something before you can talk authoritatively about it.

I used to drive a 2001 Golf GTI. It had a 2.0 Litre engine with 30,000km on the odometer and moved like a bat out of hell. It was my first car and i fell in love with it. I could push that car from a standstill to 100km in 8 seconds and embarrassed a good number of cocky BMW drivers on Third Mainland Bridge. I loved that car until the day it just simply gave up on the bridge at night. This was a car i had implicit faith in as i serviced it regularly and tried my possible best to use genuine replacement parts. It just died and left me on the bridge. I began to search for the current model of that car, which i learnt came with 200bhp and an amazing tiptronic trasmission. Unfortunately it wasn't available for sale in Nigeria. (I wanted it brand new as the bridge incident left a very sour taste in my mouth).

So i turned to more modest options. I bought a Hyundai Elantra and i have completely forgotten what mechanics look like. I couldn't remember what i loved so much about my tokunbo golf. If you have never driven a brand new car, there are simply no words to explain it to you. The confidence it gives you (i overslept on the day of my bachelor's eve and woke up around 1am. I got up showered and drove from ikeja to VI at about 2am. I would never ever have the liver to do that in a tokunbo.) the peace of mind that scheduled pitstops give you. (You know that barring an accident, you only need to go into the workshop every 5000km. That apart, it is wake up, get in, drive. I only see my engine when the car is in the workshop for servicing.

If i had to choose between a brand new picanto and a tokunbo range rover, i'd pick the picanto everyday of the week and twice on sunday. (or i'd take the range, sell it to one of these guys here extolling the virtues of used cars and buy myself a brand new Golf GTI. If i could find it)

@poster
No tokunbo car, no matter how clean, is anywhere near as good as a brand new car when it comes to sheer reliability. Do not be deceived. I see late model tokunbos regularly with their hoods standing open in traffic and their owners looking forlornly at the 'bargain' they thought they had gotten. And the annoying thing is the cost of those cars could have bought a 1.6L car brand new. Trust me to kick a man who's already down, i'd roll down my window and say, 'next time buy new.'

By the way, i bought my mum a Kia Rio two years ago and she's forgotten what mechanics look like as well. Don't knock a brand if you ain't tried it.
Re: Please Can A Kia Picanto Transit Between Lagos And Port Harcourt by underscore: 2:34pm On Sep 29, 2009
I really think that people who have no personal experience in this matter should refrain from throwing out opinions formed by hearsay and perception. You need to have experienced something before you can talk authoritatively about it.

I totally agree with you, bro!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

London Double Decker Buses To Be Powered By Coffee Waste To Cut Diesel Emissions / 10 Simple Steps To Save Money On Petrol / My W204 C350 Build.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.