Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,607 members, 7,816,508 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:16 PM

12 Times The English Language Made No Sense At All(pics) - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 12 Times The English Language Made No Sense At All(pics) (40369 Views)

A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) / I Wrote UTME 12 Times Before Gaining Admission - OAU Fresher / 13 Times The English Language Made Absolutely No Sense At All (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 12 Times The English Language Made No Sense At All(pics) by anyicash(m): 2:19pm On Jul 14, 2016
DeeCherry:
1.Why do we call a building a building, if it’s already built?
cos the structure never gets complete.
Re: 12 Times The English Language Made No Sense At All(pics) by Taiyescott(m): 2:20pm On Jul 14, 2016
Some1 who teaches is a teacher, some1 who cooks is a COOKER.. Smh..
Re: 12 Times The English Language Made No Sense At All(pics) by deenvibe(m): 2:20pm On Jul 14, 2016
DeeCherry:
3. If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?
humanity
Re: 12 Times The English Language Made No Sense At All(pics) by darlingtonIIV(m): 2:28pm On Jul 14, 2016
DeeCherry:

12. Place the word “ONLY” anywhere on this sentence

Only she told him that she love him. She only told him that she loved him. She told only him that she loved him. She told him only that she loved him. She told him that only she loved him. She told him that she only loved him. She told him that she loved only him. She told him that she loved him only. oh God...why?

4 Likes

Re: 12 Times The English Language Made No Sense At All(pics) by Hillarie(m): 2:34pm On Jul 14, 2016
DeeCherry:
4. French fries aka. chips were not invented in France.
French Fries were originally from Belgium cheesy
Re: 12 Times The English Language Made No Sense At All(pics) by kirchofff(m): 2:42pm On Jul 14, 2016
micodon:

They are not the same thing.

Something that is said to be valuable as a fixed value attached to it.
Something that is said to be invaluable is valuable beyond estimation
oh really? ....thanks man
Re: 12 Times The English Language Made No Sense At All(pics) by saintneo(m): 2:52pm On Jul 14, 2016
DeeCherry:
And lastly

She told him that she loved him

cc: lalasticlala
I like this one.
Re: 12 Times The English Language Made No Sense At All(pics) by holasam(m): 3:20pm On Jul 14, 2016
DeeCherry:
And lastly

lemme buy this
Re: 12 Times The English Language Made No Sense At All(pics) by Rashelany: 3:21pm On Jul 14, 2016
DeeCherry:
http://omgvoice.com/lifestyle/nonsensical-english-language/

There is a funny saying that:

English doesn’t “borrow” from other languages: it follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar and valuable vocabulary.

Here is why the quote is so true

Hey... you stole my post angry angry angry
Re: 12 Times The English Language Made No Sense At All(pics) by musicwriter(m): 3:26pm On Jul 14, 2016
DeeCherry:

English doesn’t “borrow” from other languages: it follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar and valuable vocabulary.

The whole language called English is like that. It's a completely illogical language- sometimes completely irrational without any atom of sense.

And, there's a reason for that.

English was originally spoken as a creole language just like our own Pidgin English is today. English was the prefered language of illiterates, agberos, and peasants who couldn't speak German, French, Spanish, at the various times Britain was under occupation.

But, when the British regained their freedom, the first thing they did was adopt English as their official language since everybody from Scotland, Wales, Ireland, England, already spoke this commoner's language. The year was 1362, and it was only then that English became an official language.

Therefore, when we speak English today, we're actually speaking the language of illiterates!. Watch the below videos for details.

This's one of the reason I argue we're still in slavery in Africa, because we're still doing what the colonial masters told us- ''put English over your native languages because English is good and your native language is evil''.

When our eyes open to knowledge and we're free, we would discard English language and put priority to our native languages and Pidgin as language of instruction in schools and society.

Slavery lasted 400 years!.

Colonialism lasted 50-90 years in some countries.

Nobody knows how long intellectual and mental slavery would last. The fake model of education we inherited from them is perfectly sustaining mental slavery. So sad we're slaves but we don't even know!.

What's worse than a slave who doesn't know he's a slave?.

The origin of English language. Everybody should see these videos, its under 20 minutes, all.

The evolution of English language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIzFz9T5rhI
The origin of English language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEaSxhcns7Y
The history of English language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njJBw2KlIEo
How languages evolve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWDKsHm6gTA

2 Likes

Re: 12 Times The English Language Made No Sense At All(pics) by Emyogalanya: 3:29pm On Jul 14, 2016
mizzbouqui:
Humanity
no rather humanitables

1 Like

Re: 12 Times The English Language Made No Sense At All(pics) by Nobody: 3:34pm On Jul 14, 2016
DeeCherry:
3. If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?
humanibles
Re: 12 Times The English Language Made No Sense At All(pics) by Phlakes(f): 3:35pm On Jul 14, 2016
mizzbouqui:

Humanity
human being
Re: 12 Times The English Language Made No Sense At All(pics) by Rashelany: 3:39pm On Jul 14, 2016
Lalasticlala angry angry angry

Why did u replace what i posted with Deecherry's own?

Abi na bcuz say i know call ur name ni? undecided undecided

What u jhs did is not right at all.
Re: 12 Times The English Language Made No Sense At All(pics) by EniHolar(f): 4:51pm On Jul 14, 2016
Mightyraw:

EniHorlar no knw book atal

See u...

What will u call this person then?

emvico:

for this very one, you deserve a bottle of BEAR
Re: 12 Times The English Language Made No Sense At All(pics) by DesChyko: 5:12pm On Jul 14, 2016
David25:
-------------------------
English Language
-------------------------

1. The bandage was wound around the wound.

2. The farm was used to produce produce.

3. The dump was so full it had to refuse more refuse.

4. We must polish the Polish furniture.

5. He could lead if he would get the lead out.

6. The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert.

7. Since there was no time like the present, he thought it was time to present the present.

8. A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum.

9. When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.

10. I did not object to the object.

11. The insurance was invalid for the invalid.

12. There was a row among the oarsmen on how to row.

13. They were too close to the door to close it.

14. The buck does funny things when does are present.

15. A seamstress and a sewer fell down into a sewer line.

16. To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow.

17. The wind was too strong to wind the sail.

18. After a number of injections my jaw got number.

19. Upon seeing the tear in the painting I shed a tear.

20. I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.

21. How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?

In all of these, you're talking of a pair of words in each with the same spelling but different meanings. The pronunciation is also slightly different because of the location of the stress pattern of the word. Such pair of words are called homographs. The word either functions as a verb first, then as a noun next or vice versa. In most cases, If the word functions as a verb, the stress is on the last syllable. If it functions as a noun, the stress is on the first syllable. Other examples are present, estimate, convert, reject, etc.

Private Tutor For Hire biko smiley
Re: 12 Times The English Language Made No Sense At All(pics) by David25(m): 5:30pm On Jul 14, 2016
DesChyko:

In all of these, you're talking of a pair of words in each with the same spelling but different meanings. The pronunciation is also slightly different because of the location of the stress pattern of the word. Such pair of words are called homographs. The word either functions as a verb first, then as a noun next or vice versa. In most cases, If the word functions as a verb, the stress is on the last syllable. If it functions as a noun, the stress is on the first syllable. Other examples are present, estimate, convert, reject, etc.

Private Tutor For Hire biko smiley

well... I'm dazzled. good one
Re: 12 Times The English Language Made No Sense At All(pics) by emvico(m): 5:33pm On Jul 14, 2016
EniHolar:

See u...

mightyraw needs prayer
Re: 12 Times The English Language Made No Sense At All(pics) by Umartins1(m): 5:34pm On Jul 14, 2016
kirchofff:
Why does VALUABLE and INVALUABLE have d same meaning?

Valuable and invaluable are not the same.

Valuable describes something of a great worth. Invaluable on the other hand means priceless, that is, something/someone whose worth cannot be quantified.

1 Like

Re: 12 Times The English Language Made No Sense At All(pics) by Muhsinkhan(m): 5:39pm On Jul 14, 2016
[quote author=DeeCherry post=47516407]And lastly

She told him that she loved him Damn!!! It still makes sense, anyhow u put it
cc: lalasticlala[/quote
Re: 12 Times The English Language Made No Sense At All(pics) by jesusjewel1(f): 5:59pm On Jul 14, 2016
kirchofff:
Why does VALUABLE and INVALUABLE have d same meaning?
Really....you are sure about that??
Re: 12 Times The English Language Made No Sense At All(pics) by softwhispers: 6:25pm On Jul 14, 2016
Re: 12 Times The English Language Made No Sense At All(pics) by softwhispers: 6:27pm On Jul 14, 2016
DeeCherry My Future Wife:

WHY DO I HAVE THIS FEELING I'VE FINALLY FOUND MY SOUL MATE JUST COZ OF YOUR POST I READ??
cool undecided
Re: 12 Times The English Language Made No Sense At All(pics) by kirchofff(m): 6:33pm On Jul 14, 2016
jesusjewel1:

Really....you are sure about that??
yeah, they both used for something that's highly valuable

1 Like

Re: 12 Times The English Language Made No Sense At All(pics) by Ab4all(m): 7:03pm On Jul 14, 2016
emvico:

for this very one, you deserve a bottle of BEAR
BEAR has no bottle grin grin grin cool shocked
kirchofff:
yeah, they both used for something that's highly valuable
Re: 12 Times The English Language Made No Sense At All(pics) by Nobody: 7:08pm On Jul 14, 2016
DeeCherry:
And lastly

Lol this got me
Re: 12 Times The English Language Made No Sense At All(pics) by tayorh(m): 7:08pm On Jul 14, 2016
DeeCherry:
And lastly

no be small thing
Re: 12 Times The English Language Made No Sense At All(pics) by tayorh(m): 7:11pm On Jul 14, 2016
grin
suzan404:
grin
Human grin
suzan404:
grin
Human
Re: 12 Times The English Language Made No Sense At All(pics) by Mightyraw(m): 9:06pm On Jul 14, 2016
EniHolar:

See u...

Ur brother ofcos
Re: 12 Times The English Language Made No Sense At All(pics) by Pecca: 9:07pm On Jul 14, 2016
DeeCherry:
And lastly

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Letter A School Principal In Singapore Sent To Parents Just Before An Exam / When You Don't Want to Be The Last Fool(pix) / See How Nigerians Pronounce Words According To Ghanians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.