Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,341 members, 7,811,990 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:09 AM

Minister Of Power Controls Nothing – Emir Sanusi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Minister Of Power Controls Nothing – Emir Sanusi (30579 Views)

Boko Haram Still Controls 3 LGAs In Nigeria - UN / Fatai Owoseni Controls Traffic In Ikorodu (Photos) / My Wife Controls Four Govt Ministries- Okorocha (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Minister Of Power Controls Nothing – Emir Sanusi by dre11(m): 8:12am On Jul 14, 2016
Power minister controls nothing – Emir of Kano

Okechukwu Nnodim, Abuja

The Emir of Kano, Muhammad Sanusi II, on Tuesday queried the role of the Power minister with respect to delivering electricity to households and businesses across the country.

Sanusi stated that while he was governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, he often asked people to tell him what the responsibility of the Power minister was.

This, he said, was due to the fact that virtually all arms of the electricity value chain had been taken away from the control of the minister.

The Emir stated these in a keynote address during a stakeholders’ workshop on Road Transport Management and Mass Transit Operations in Nigeria organised by the Federal Ministry of Transportation in Abuja.

He said, “Very often in this country, we do not give as much focus as we should to the organic link between the objectives, our strategies, processes, procedures and our results. And one example I’ve always given is the power sector in Nigeria. I used to ask this question that, ‘please what really is the Power minister responsible for?’ And it sounds like a silly question.

“But the truth is, I don’t know about now, but as of the time I was in government, could anyone legitimately hold the Power minister responsible for delivering power? The PHCN (Power Holding Company of Nigeria) was privatised by the Bureau of Public Enterprises; the Ministry of Petroleum Resources is responsible for gas; regulation and pricing is done by the NERC (Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission), which is an independent body.”

Sanusi added, “By the time you took out everything you need in power, the minister has nothing. He controls nothing. The Power minister cannot boast that I will deliver 1,000 megawatts because he can actually build a gas powered turbine and not have the gas. This is because the gas is under the control of a different ministry.

“Also, for hydro, the dams belong to the Federal Ministry of Water Resources and the sites around the dams belong to the state governments. The water turbines belong to the Ministry of Power, but if you want to use hydro, the Ministry of Power does not have the dams. The point I’m making is that one of the reasons why we’ve not made much improvement on power is due to a lack of coordinating mechanisms.”

The emir also stated that a similar situation could be seen in the transport sector, but urged stakeholders in the industry to form a forum from where activities in the sector would be coordinated in order to achieve meaningful results.

He said, “Now, I kind of think that we can have a similar problem with transport. We need to have some framework for coordination and harmonisation for a clear division of roles and responsibilities, and also for ensuring that everything is mainstreamed into one strategic objective. So, whoever is responsible for any part of the transportation chain should have a forum where you come and coordinate activities.”

Sanusi decried poor funding for road infrastructure in Nigeria, adding that reports had it that the country would need about N500bn annually to be able to develop its road sector considerably.

http://punchng.com/power-minister-controls-nothing-emir-kano/

11 Likes

Re: Minister Of Power Controls Nothing – Emir Sanusi by ify2016: 8:13am On Jul 14, 2016
No be lie o

In fact since 5months plus now , we never see wetin be NEPA light.

Mek them dey fool themselves.

14 Likes

Re: Minister Of Power Controls Nothing – Emir Sanusi by OZAOEKPE(f): 8:14am On Jul 14, 2016
I will continue to wail it that Fashola is over-hyped. He is not fit for that job. Even as a lawyer, he never handled any high profiled case.

122 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Minister Of Power Controls Nothing – Emir Sanusi by madridguy(m): 8:15am On Jul 14, 2016
Fashola, we believe in you.

8 Likes

Re: Minister Of Power Controls Nothing – Emir Sanusi by AngryNigerian(m): 8:17am On Jul 14, 2016
Lolzzzzzzzzzzzz...***laugh wan kii me die ooo***

It's coming...I recall that Glo advert, where dat small boy de warn MTN say 'it's coming'!

Blind men will stii not see...deaf ones wii stii not hear!!! Until d foul-smelling breeze envelop all of us!!! Ka Chukwu zób'anyi oo

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Minister Of Power Controls Nothing – Emir Sanusi by Tunami(m): 8:17am On Jul 14, 2016
That is to say the minister of power is a ceremonial position.

45 Likes

Re: Minister Of Power Controls Nothing – Emir Sanusi by Nobody: 8:17am On Jul 14, 2016
Op, are you plain ignorant or did you fail to go through your own thread?

He said, “Very often in this country, we do not give as much focus as we should to the organic link between the objectives, our strategies, processes, procedures and our results. And one example I’ve always given is the power sector in Nigeria. I used to ask this question that, ‘please what really is the Power minister responsible for?’ And it sounds like a silly question.

But the truth is, I don’t know about now, but as of the time I was in government, could anyone legitimately hold the Power minister responsible for delivering power? The PHCN (Power Holding Company of Nigeria) was privatised by the Bureau of Public Enterprises; the Ministry of Petroleum Resources is responsible for gas; regulation and pricing is done by the NERC (Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission), which is an independent body.”

6 Likes

Re: Minister Of Power Controls Nothing – Emir Sanusi by PAINGAIN: 8:18am On Jul 14, 2016
Singing** minister of power, powerless powerrrrrr!

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Minister Of Power Controls Nothing – Emir Sanusi by Beremx(f): 8:18am On Jul 14, 2016
Abeg Mr. Emir, make una leave Fashola for me o! Whether he is in control of Power Ministry or not, it doesn't stop him from inspecting power outfits all over the country and assuring us of Power stabilization.

God bless Fashola jare!

7 Likes

Re: Minister Of Power Controls Nothing – Emir Sanusi by modath(f): 8:19am On Jul 14, 2016
The point I’m making is that one of the reasons why we’ve not made much improvement on power is due to a lack of coordinating mechanisms.”

The quoted is the point. dazall.

Sensationalism and naija journalists; Siamese twins. cool

14 Likes

Re: Minister Of Power Controls Nothing – Emir Sanusi by Beremx(f): 8:20am On Jul 14, 2016
Tunami:
That is to say the minister of power is a ceremonial position.
What's more ceremonial than PMB as the Petroleum Minister?

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Minister Of Power Controls Nothing – Emir Sanusi by Nobody: 8:21am On Jul 14, 2016
Fashola the minister of darkness

1 Like

Re: Minister Of Power Controls Nothing – Emir Sanusi by Jirate(m): 8:21am On Jul 14, 2016
No Wonder he is always Dozing………. cool

44 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Minister Of Power Controls Nothing – Emir Sanusi by Nobody: 8:22am On Jul 14, 2016
LOLSSSS....... Remove him there and give the position to a Northerner.....
When you put a lawyer.in charge of an engineering job, and mumu NSE be looking like clowns.....

25 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Minister Of Power Controls Nothing – Emir Sanusi by Tunami(m): 8:25am On Jul 14, 2016
Beremx:
What's more ceremonial than PMB as the Petroleum Minister?
question for the zombies.

14 Likes

Re: Minister Of Power Controls Nothing – Emir Sanusi by PAINGAIN: 8:25am On Jul 14, 2016
Beremx:
Abeg Mr. Emir, make una leave Fashola for me o! Whether he is in control of Power Ministry or not, it doesn't stop him from inspecting power outfits all over the country and assuring us of Power stabilization.

God bless Fashola jare!
overrated fashola. I was in nigeria recently and i couldn't see any meaningful thing he did in lagos. Nonsense

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Minister Of Power Controls Nothing – Emir Sanusi by Beremx(f): 8:27am On Jul 14, 2016
PAINGAIN:
overrated fashola. I was in nigeria recently and i couldn't see any meaningful thing he did in lagos. Nonsense
You're a wailer so i don't expect you to see anything he did in Lagos. grin

Fashola my man! cool

13 Likes

Re: Minister Of Power Controls Nothing – Emir Sanusi by PAINGAIN: 8:28am On Jul 14, 2016
Do you remember?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Minister Of Power Controls Nothing – Emir Sanusi by PAINGAIN: 8:31am On Jul 14, 2016
Beremx:

Fashola my man! cool
yes i am a proud wailer. As a zombie you have also failed to see how he's turning naija into darkness.

50 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Minister Of Power Controls Nothing – Emir Sanusi by double0seven(m): 8:41am On Jul 14, 2016
misleading topic
Sanusi never mentioned Fashola's name.

2 Likes

Re: Minister Of Power Controls Nothing – Emir Sanusi by Nobody: 8:44am On Jul 14, 2016
Beremx:

Fashola my man! cool

Fashola and Ambode, who is doing better??
Re: Minister Of Power Controls Nothing – Emir Sanusi by BossKratos: 8:58am On Jul 14, 2016
angry

This article has been remixed! Sanusi was referring to the way the system worked during"his own time in government and he never even mentioned fashola once"

O.p you are a bagger!!!

5 Likes

Re: Minister Of Power Controls Nothing – Emir Sanusi by Nne5: 8:59am On Jul 14, 2016
Werrin concern me?

3 Likes

Re: Minister Of Power Controls Nothing – Emir Sanusi by Reminez(m): 9:00am On Jul 14, 2016
OZAOEKPE:
I will continue to wail it that Fashola is over-hyped. He is not fit for that job. Even as a lawyer, he never handled any high profiled case.
****..read before making a comment .

1 Like

Re: Minister Of Power Controls Nothing – Emir Sanusi by Reminez(m): 9:02am On Jul 14, 2016
Cc : mynd44
There's no correlation between the heading and the content .
Re: Minister Of Power Controls Nothing – Emir Sanusi by Reminez(m): 9:03am On Jul 14, 2016
All this illiterates making comments without actually reading. Smh

1 Like

Re: Minister Of Power Controls Nothing – Emir Sanusi by AngelAhnie(f): 9:17am On Jul 14, 2016
PAINGAIN:
Singing** minister of power, powerless powerrrrrr!
gringringringrin

5 Likes

Re: Minister Of Power Controls Nothing – Emir Sanusi by ijustdey: 9:30am On Jul 14, 2016
BossKratos:
angry

This article has been remixed! Sanusi was referring to the way the system worked during"his own time in government and he never even mentioned fashola once"

O.p you are a bagger!!!

you're the bagger here....

http://dailypost.ng/2016/07/14/why-fashola-is-a-mere-figure-head-as-minister-of-power-emir-sanusi/

just to fulfill your ignorance

8 Likes

Re: Minister Of Power Controls Nothing – Emir Sanusi by junketer(m): 9:34am On Jul 14, 2016
Reminez:

From Indonesia ?? You ll soon be caught with drugs .
not every nigerian in diaspora is into drugs. Dem go soon shoot for kidnapping in naija.

4 Likes

Re: Minister Of Power Controls Nothing – Emir Sanusi by ijustdey: 9:36am On Jul 14, 2016
Reminez:
Cc : mynd44
There's no correlation between the heading and the content .

http://dailypost.ng/2016/07/14/why-fashola-is-a-mere-figure-head-as-minister-of-power-emir-sanusi/

maybe this will quench your thirst......

The Emir of Kano, Muhammad Sanusi II, has reiterated his stand that the position of power minister in Nigeria has no weight.

According to him, virtually all arms of the electricity value chain had been taken away from the control of the minister, leaving the occupant of the office with nothing to control.

The Emir stated this during a stakeholders’ workshop on Road Transport Management and Mass Transit Operations in Nigeria, organised by the Federal Ministry of Transportation in Abuja yesterday.

He said, “Very often in this country, we do not give as much focus as we should to the organic link between the objectives, our strategies, processes, procedures and our results.

“And one example I’ve always given is the power sector in Nigeria. I used to ask this question that, ‘please what really is the Power minister responsible for?’ And it sounds like a silly question.

“But the truth is, I don’t know about now, but as of the time I was in government, could anyone legitimately hold the Power minister responsible for delivering power? The PHCN (Power Holding Company of Nigeria) was privatised by the Bureau of Public Enterprises; the Ministry of Petroleum Resources is responsible for gas; regulation and pricing is done by the NERC (Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission), which is an independent body.

“By the time you took out everything you need in power, the minister has nothing. He controls nothing. The Power minister cannot boast that I will deliver 1,000 megawatts because he can actually build a gas powered turbine and not have the gas. This is because the gas is under the control of a different ministry.

“Also, for hydro, the dams belong to the Federal Ministry of Water Resources and the sites around the dams belong to the state governments. The water turbines belong to the Ministry of Power, but if you want to use hydro, the Ministry of Power does not have the dams. The point I’m making is that one of the reasons why we’ve not made much improvement on power is due to a lack of coordinating mechanisms.”

He added that “I kind of think that we can have a similar problem with transport. We need to have some framework for coordination and harmonisation for a clear division of roles and responsibilities, and also for ensuring that everything is mainstreamed into one strategic objective.

So, whoever is responsible for any part of the transportation chain should have a forum where you come and coordinate activities.”

2 Likes

Re: Minister Of Power Controls Nothing – Emir Sanusi by malton: 9:43am On Jul 14, 2016

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

PDP Chairman: Those Plotting To Destroy South-West Will Not Succeed – Babatope / Photos from the signing of second National peace Accord / Garba Shehu Presents To Dino Melaye, Kwararafa Reporters' Man Of The Year Award

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.