Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,795 members, 7,817,293 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:45 AM

Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" (20561 Views)

Lubabatu An Episodic Hausa Novel By Ibrahhm M. Gombe / Cyprian Ekwensi's 95th Posthumous Birthday Is Today / Hausa World Writers Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by shizzle11(m): 9:40am On Jul 16, 2016
Angelsss:
am guessing you really believed Mr Ekwensi did this based on the part of Nigeria he comes from...
because he is IBO...you are strongly convinced such a writer would do that...
but you don't know that for a fact...
you weren't there when the book was published...
so you don't know the circumstances surrounding it...
what if he took permission before? that's if he actually did this...
and why are just hearing it after so many years?
Stop this! stereotyping ain't healthy...
We should all support one another instead of trying to divide this country with malicious lies...
the op is a bitter, hateful northerner who sees nothing good about igbo, check his post history.

This thread by him isn't really about plagiarism or getting justice but but born out of tribalism and tarnishing image of the late iconic writer

2 Likes

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by Angelsss(f): 9:46am On Jul 16, 2016
shizzle11:
the op is a bitter, hateful northerner who sees nothing good about igbo, check his post history.

This thread by him isn't really about plagiarism or getting justice but but born out of tribalism and tarnishing image of the late iconic writer

I feel so too ...he sounds so confident...
soon he would probably mention Achebe

1 Like

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by nonjebose(m): 9:46am On Jul 16, 2016
emonkey:

[size=14pt]Who published Jiki Magayi and what were the terms of his publishing agreement ? This is what should be your focus and not who wrote what ? Publishing terms are never always the same.
1. If the original writer sold it outright to the publisher , the publisher can assign another writer to write the translation or rewrite the book without giving any credit or money to the original writer. I have previously sold two books to a foreign writer under this sort of agreement with full understanding of the consequences.
2. Have you ever asked who John Tafida Umaru is/was ? The person may not exist and might have just been created by the publisher for the purpose of localising the book. Does he/she have any other literary credit apart from this book ?
3. Was Jiki Magayi still in copyright when Ekwensi did the translation? Copyright typically expires 50 years after the death of the author, if not renewed,
Check the facts properly . Don't criticise unduly.

Most of Wole Soyinka's plays are not original by the way. They are brilliant adaptations of nearly forgotten classics . His plays were good and became famous, made him famous. They were not original in any case and the families of Greek authors who have been dead for centuries are not looking all over for the Nobel Laureate to sue,[/size]
. Exactly my take. The OP has not been able to clarify that there was no understanding between the writer of Jilki Magayi and CE. Another issue is, was CE's work verbatim translation of the original work or having a similar plot and characterisation? Some of these old works are told as folklores without any reference to the author or copyright. CE grew up in Minna, may have heard the story, wrote an adaptation years later without any immediate challenge.

1 Like

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 9:47am On Jul 16, 2016
Why do some people like supporting evil?. Plagiarism is bad, even though, he translated the novel from Hausa language to English, he must acknowledge the the author of the novel written in Hausa language.

3 Likes

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by zaboy: 9:58am On Jul 16, 2016
I read both books. I have always known one is a translation of the other. However, neither referenced the other. So as the op suggested one of them plagiarized/copied the others work.

3 Likes

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by nonjebose(m): 9:58am On Jul 16, 2016
Gaddafithe2nd:
Why do some people like supporting evil?. Plagiarism is bad, even though, he translated the novel from Hausa language to English, he must acknowledge the the author of the novel written in Hausa language.
And what if he does not know the author? What if he heard it as an hausa folklore as a kid? Why was the work not contested even when it became popular, if it was a verbatim translation as claimed by OP? Have you read both books?
Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by EazyMoh(m): 10:05am On Jul 16, 2016
emonkey:

[size=14pt]Who published Jiki Magayi and what were the terms of his publishing agreement ? This is what should be your focus and not who wrote what ? Publishing terms are never always the same.
1. If the original writer sold it outright to the publisher , the publisher can assign another writer to write the translation or rewrite the book without giving any credit or money to the original writer. I have previously sold two books to a foreign writer under this sort of agreement with full understanding of the consequences.
2. Have you ever asked who John Tafida Umaru is/was ? The person may not exist and might have just been created by the publisher for the purpose of localising the book. Does he/she have any other literary credit apart from this book ?
3. Was Jiki Magayi still in copyright when Ekwensi did the translation? Copyright typically expires 50 years after the death of the author, if not renewed,

Most of Wole Soyinka's plays are not original by the way. They are brilliant adaptations of nearly forgotten classics . His plays were good and became famous, made him famous. They were not original in any case and the families of Greek authors who have been dead for centuries are not looking all over for the Nobel Laureate to sue,[/size]
You might be right with some points, but;
1. Jiki Magayi was published under Northern Nigeria Publishing Company NNPC Zaria. Which I doubt would ever do such kind of business.
2 John Tafida Umaru was real and so was Rupert East who co-authored the book and wrote many others. He grew up in Wusasa, and his family can be traced.
3. NNPC reprints/reproduces/republsih the book periodically, and I doubt if they fail to do that for iconic Jiki Magayi.
I have sent inquiry emails through both the publishers of the English and Hausa version awaiting their position about the book.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by Redoil: 10:11am On Jul 16, 2016
fujirice:

I read that book in my JS 1.
You need to see the excitement and quietness my classroom experiences during the time my English teacher reads that novel to my class. Given that my class is always noisy, it's only the passport of Mallam Ilia that restores sanity to my class then as everybody listens with rapt attention.
in what year and which school did you attended
Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by Phi001(m): 10:14am On Jul 16, 2016
From what I read in one of the comments, the laws of copyright have been modified over the years. It's possible that the laws then were not as strict as the current laws.

1 Like

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by EazyMoh(m): 10:19am On Jul 16, 2016
Sparkle777:
Theres a reason for any action. Op, pls do more research and get back to us. Also check up on 'Anthills of the Savannah'. Lets just know. Tnx.
Will try to do that. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by styless(f): 10:24am On Jul 16, 2016
Dnb come see the kind of ppl you guys are after o

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by EazyMoh(m): 10:25am On Jul 16, 2016
farellstone:
It is a translation,not plagiarism,you can't just plagiarize in literary world without getting sanction for it.So this is not plagiarism.The same way Ola Rotimi rewrote Sophocles' Oedipus nd gave it another title"The gods are not to blame".so my point is, you can translate or rewrite another person's work,sometimes you will need to get permission from the writer or the publisher.
Actually it's a most to obtain a permission before translating someone's work. If you do that without giving credit to the original writer then it's capital plagiarism.

2 Likes

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by Okudiover(m): 10:26am On Jul 16, 2016
Most of the commentators here do not even know what copyright infringement is how much more heard about the term"Plagiarism". It is an act of intellectual dishonesty where one reproducesreproduces another author's work in whole or in part without the express permission of the author and without acknowledging the original author in anyway. I have heard of this case before when Ekwensi was still alive. It would be very sad to the literary world.

3 Likes

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by Nickydrake(m): 10:35am On Jul 16, 2016
ideykwum:

You're right. Did Ola Rotimi plagiarize "Oedipus Rex"? We have several examples of similar stuff... David Rubadiri and Alfred, Lord Tennyson over "The Journey of The Magi"? Lol. This was not plagiarism. Ekwensi probably translated with or without permission, but in those days it certainly wasn't regarded as plagiarism. Copyright laws have evolved over the years, however.

These comparisons are misleading. Copyright does not exist in perpetuity. Typically, it lasts for the duration of the author's life and about twenty-five years after his death.

This is the only reason CoCoLav would not need Shakespeare's permission if she were inclined to translate Hamlet into Yoruba, or any other language. It is for the same reason that Ola Rotimi did nothing wrong in his adaptation of Oedipus Rex, since Sophocles died in 406 BC, long before the idea of copyright was even conceived. For an apt comparison, we would have to consider the publication date of Ekwensi's book as well as the duration of the copyright in the original Hausa work, factoring copyright laws extant at the time.

I am a great admirer of Ekwensi and have always thought that perhaps he deserved a little more recognition than he ever got, but this allegation is a serious one. It astounds me that the majority of contributors to this thread have chosen to condemn the investigative effort of the OP (or whoever first made the connection) instead of asking questions of their own and seeking an explanation.

Statements like, 'Why are you crying more than the bereaved' and 'He must have obtained permission,' -- the latter being nothing but bizarre authoritative conjecture -- reflect the pitiful attitude of Nigerians towards reasonable enquiry and mental exertion. This in turn explains our present social, economic and political predicament.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 10:37am On Jul 16, 2016
nonjebose:
And what if he does not know the author? What if he heard it as an hausa folklore as a kid? Why was the work not contested even when it became popular, if it was a verbatim translation as claimed by OP? Have you read both books?
No matter what he must acknowledge the writer of the original book. I have read some books translated from one language to another. The original author(s) is/are acknowledged.

2 Likes

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by Ihuomadinihu: 10:38am On Jul 16, 2016
Of course this thread was initated and spured by tribalism. The fact that is Cyprian Ekwensi is Igbo makes it even more easy to pick on him while forgetting that numerous writers have adapted works of other people.
The Op made no attempt to hide the fact his prejudice against igbos just because the author in question happened to be igbo. Why the emphasis on the Cyprian's Ethnicity if this was done out of unbiased curiosity?
It will be better to conduct if you conduct indept investigation instead of threading on the part of hypocrisy,bigotry and character assasination!
And what if he committed what could be called plagarism in the 21st century Nigeria? Have you cared to find out if there was an existing understanding and aggrement between both parties?
It is unfortunate that Cyprian is no longer here to set facts straight.
He is INNOCENT until proven guilty.
Only fools make such accusations!

1 Like

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by nwaanambra1(m): 10:44am On Jul 16, 2016
EazyMoh:
[b]I was reading a thread earlier reminiscing with great pleasure when I received the shock of the year. The thread was hosted by the supermod himself Ishilove www.nairaland.com/3228867/nairalanders-how-many-remember-these the thread was about classic novels written in English language.
What caught my attention was the book titled African Night's Entertainment'. Having read both the Hausa and the English versions, I never paid attention to the discrepancy in the names of the authors until I saw it on the thread. I zoomed in the picture of the book to make sure I saw the name of the author correctly. I quickly googled and I was shocked to find out that while the Hausa version 'Jiki Magayi' was authored by John Tafida Umaru and co-authored by popular Hausa writer Rupert East, the English version was claimed to be written by Cyprian Ekwensi!
I simply added John Tafida in the search and I came through this article written by one Ibrahim Musa. I searched further but couldn't find any tangible action taken against this greatest plagiarism of all times in Africa, in fact in the world of literature.
PS for those who can read Hausa if you haven't read the Tafida's version try to do and compare.
When Jiki Magayi was first authored, Cyprian Ekwensi was twelve years old![/b]

www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/art-ideas/ekwensi-s-an-african-night-entertainment-and-john-tafida-s-jiki-magayi/130379.html

[size=14pt]oga op and shameless daily trust newspapers that cant do a simple research!

please stop displaying your lack of knowledge of the literally world to the universe!

there is what is called adaptations in literature!

ola rotimi's "the gods are not blame" is an adaptation of the Greek classic "Oedipus Rex" rotimi did not made any reference or appreciation of the work in the novel he wrote because he translated it from Greek to English language therefore he has all copy rights to the English version!

same way Cyprian owns all copy rights to the English translation of the hausa version of the African night entertainment.

thank me for lecture.

for those already insulting igbos, big shame on you![/size]

1 Like

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by nonjebose(m): 10:45am On Jul 16, 2016
Gaddafithe2nd:

No matter what he must acknowledge the writer of the original book. I have read some books translated from one language to another. The original author(s) is/are acknowledged.
That is if he translated. Revisit the questions I raised
Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by Nickydrake(m): 10:48am On Jul 16, 2016
emonkey:

Intelligent response. You need not have made the Soyinka analogy, because it has turned out to be the weak spot in an otherwise sound stance. You have said yourself that there is a duration to copyright. The writers of the Greek classics were taken up to Olympus long before the invention of the printing press, when there was no notion of copyright. This means that their work is in the public domain, so adapting an ancient Greek classic to African culture is not plagiarism, it is more like borrowing.

1 Like

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by EazyMoh(m): 10:58am On Jul 16, 2016
kindness4life:
Dear writer, I hope u did your home work very well before putting this up. Plagiarism is a serious crime and sensitive issue in the world of literature. Cyprian Ekwesi is a well respected writer as we all know. Why not find a way of contacting him maybe by email or something to hear his own side of the story before conclusions are made.
The article was originally written by Ibrahim Musa on DailyTrust of January this year. in the article he clearly mentioned his attempts to get a clarification about the issue but no tangible response was obtained.

1 Like

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by nwaanambra1(m): 11:08am On Jul 16, 2016
EazyMoh:

You might be right with some points, but;
1. Jiki Magayi was published under Northern Nigeria Publishing Company NNPC Zaria. Which I doubt would ever do such kind of business.
2 John Tafida Umaru was real and so was Rupert East who co-authored the book and wrote many others. He grew up in Wusasa, and his family can be traced.
3. NNPC reprints/reproduces/republsih the book periodically, and I doubt if they fail to do that for iconic Jiki Magayi.
I have sent inquiry emails through both the publishers of the English and Hausa version awaiting their position about the book.

[size=14pt]oga just some simple questions for you.

ARE YOU MORE EDUCATED OF MORE ENLIGHTENED THAN NORTHERN NIGERIA PUBLISHING COMPANY ZARIA?

OR ARE YOU TELLING ME THAT NO BODY IN NORTHERN NIGERIA PUBLISHING COMPANY CAN READ IN ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND NONE OF THEM HAVE READ THE WORK OF CYPRIAN EKWENSI ON AFRICAN NIGHT ENTERTAINMENT??

ARE YOU AWARE THAT AFRICAN NIGHT ENTERTAINMENT HAS BEEN AN APPROVED NOVEL FOR WAEC AND NECO IN NIGERIA FOR A LONG TIME NOW? (BOTH IN THE NORTH AND OTHER PARTS OF NIGERIA), AND I GUESS NONE OF THESE LITERACY AND EDUCATION ORGANISATION KNOWS OF THE EXISTENCE OF THE HAUSA VERSION?

NOW TO FINISH THIS VERY STUPID WASTE OF TIME, GO AND CHECK THE RECOMMENDED NOVELS FOR HAUSA LITERATURE AND IF TAFIDA'S NOVEL IS NOT ONE OF THEM!

OR ARE YOU SAYING THESE PEOPLE ARE NOT AWARE THAT SOMEBODY ALREADY WROTE THIS NOVEL IN HAUSA?

SEE UNA BLOOD DEY BOIL BECASUE CYPRIAN IS AN IGBO MAN!

FOR YOU INFO, CYPRIAN IS MORE OF AN HAUSA MAN THAN AN IGBO MAN - HE WAS BORN AND BROUGHT UP IN THE NORTH!

OH AND WHILE YOU GUYS ARE AT IT, YOU CAN ALSO CHECK FOR THE SOURCE OF HIS NOVELS LIKE THE BURNING GRASS, THE PASSPORT OF MALLAM ILLIA AND THE REST OF CYPRIAN'S NOVEL THAT ARE ALL BASED ON HAUSA CULTURE!

IF ONLY YOU KNOW HOW CYPRIANS NOVELS HAS HELPED IN ENLIGHTENING THE NORTHERN REGION, YOU WOULD HAVE BEEN PROPOSING FOR A MEDAL OF HONOR FOR HIM AND NOT THIS TRASH TALK!

OGA ABEG GET YOURSELF BUSY WITH MORE SERIOUS THINGS AND LEAVE GRA GRA FOR AGBEROS!

HIGH BP GO SOON KILL ALL OF UNA OVER IGBO MATTER!

IGBOS ARE TALENTED AND NOBODY CAN TAKE THAT AWAY FROM THEM NO MATTER YOU PEOPLES HATES!

oh! and wile you are sending your inquiry emails, do try and send one to Cyprian and also dont forget to send another one to Tafida!

sabi sabi no go kill you! angry angry[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by EazyMoh(m): 11:10am On Jul 16, 2016
Caveatemptor:
If you goggle Jiki Magayi and John Tafida the result is a lot of write ups in Hausa language. I also found out that this book Jiki Magayi was co written by one John Moultrine East. This John East was said to have helped pioneer the writing of Hausa lamnguage in books.
There is little information on these books .
My suspicion is that John Tafida might have told the story to John East who now put it in written form.

Still doesn't justify plagiarism by Ekwensi though. The original author should have been acknowledged and an explanation made that it was a translation.
Thank you that's all we are asking.

1 Like

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by Sparkle777(f): 11:15am On Jul 16, 2016
EazyMoh:

Will try to do that. Thanks.

Sorry, but am not so sure of the title. The novel about fulani and the wanderers curse. Reason being that Cyprian Ekwensi wrote many Hausa stories,it ll be good to know if most or all were plagiarised.

1 Like

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by adexsimply(m): 11:16am On Jul 16, 2016
Ihuomadinihu:
Of course this thread was initated and spured by tribalism. The fact that is Cyprian Ekwensi is Igbo makes it even more easy to pick on him while forgetting that numerous writers have adapted works of other people.
The Op made no attempt to hide the fact his prejudice against igbos just because the author in question happened to be igbo. Why the emphasis on the Cyprian's Ethnicity if this was done out of unbiased curiosity?
It will be better to conduct if you conduct indept investigation instead of threading on the part of hypocrisy,bigotry and character assasination!
And what if he committed what could be called plagarism in the 21st century Nigeria? Have you cared to find out if there was an existing understanding and aggrement between both parties?
It is unfortunate that Cyprian is no longer here to set facts straight.
He is INNOCENT until proven guilty.
Only fools make such accusations!
This is gross victim mentality. I had to go back and read the article but I couldn't see any direct reference to Cyprian's tribe. Cyprian was a great writer. I love all his books. He made my childhood very glorious and interesting. Does that change the fact that it's unethical, if not illegal to translate someone else's works without giving any reference or acknowledgement to them? No!

We can't grow if every attempt to bring an individual to justice is labelled "a tribal witch-hunt".

5 Likes

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by EazyMoh(m): 11:21am On Jul 16, 2016
nwaanambra1:

ARE YOU MORE EDUCATED OF MORE ENLIGHTENED THAN NORTHERN NIGERIA PUBLISHING COMPANY ZARIA?

OR ARE YOU TELLING ME THAT NO BODY IN NORTHERN NIGERIA PUBLISHING COMPANY CAN READ IN ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND NONE OF THEM HAVE READ THE WORK OF CYPRIAN EKWENSI ON AFRICAN NIGHT ENTERTAINMENT??

ARE YOU AWARE THAT AFRICAN NIGHT ENTERTAINMENT HAS BEEN AN APPROVED NOVEL FOR WAEC AND NECO IN NIGERIA FOR A LONG TIME NOW? (BOTH IN THE NORTH AND OTHER PARTS OF NIGERIA), AND I GUESS NONE OF THESE LITERACY AND EDUCATION ORGANISATION KNOWS OF THE EXISTENCE OF THE HAUSA VERSION?

NOW TO FINISH THIS VERY STUPID WASTE OF TIME, GO AND CHECK THE RECOMMENDED NOVELS FOR HAUSA LITERATURE AND IF TAFIDA'S NOVEL IS NOT ONE OF THEM!

OR ARE YOU SAYING THESE PEOPLE ARE NOT AWARE THAT SOMEBODY ALREADY WROTE THIS NOVEL IN HAUSA?

FOR YOU INFO, CYPRIAN IS MORE OF AN HAUSA MAN THAN AN IGBO MAN - HE WAS BORN AND BROUGHT UP IN THE NORTH!

OH AND WHILE YOU GUYS ARE AT IT, YOU CAN ALSO CHECK FOR THE SOURCE OF HIS NOVELS LIKE THE BURNING GRASS, THE PASSPORT OF MALLAM ILLIA AND THE REST OF CYPRIAN'S NOVEL THAT ARE ALL BASED ON HAUSA CULTURE!

IF ONLY YOU KNOW HOW CYPRIANS NOVELS HAS HELPED IN ENLIGHTENING THE NORTHERN REGION, YOU WOULD HAVE BEEN PROPOSING FOR A MEDAL OF HONOR FOR HIM AND NOT THIS TRASH TALK!

OGA ABEG GET YOURSELF BUSY WITH MORE SERIOUS THINGS AND LEAVE GRA GRA FOR AGBEROS!

IGBOS ARE TALENTED AND NOBODY CAN TAKE THAT AWAY FROM THEM NO MATTER YOU PEOPLES HATES!

oh! and wile you are sending your inquiry emails, do try and send one to Cyprian and also dont forget to send another one to Tafida!

Guy calm down, the only persons blood wey dey hot na you.
You are the one bringing ethnic coloration to this topic. Am sure if the case was the other way round your opinion will make a 180 degrees turn.
If Ekwensi and Tafida/NNPC had any agreement to give right to translate and sell, we the public deserve to know otherwise it appears as a clear case of plagiarism to us.
All we are asking both parties and the world is to give us prove and why John Tafida was never acknowledged in his translated book?
FYI am not intimidated by your victim mentality card.

3 Likes

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by ideykwum: 11:23am On Jul 16, 2016
Nickydrake:

These comparisons are misleading. Copyright does not exist in perpetuity. Typically, it lasts for the duration of the author's life and about twenty-five years after his death.

This is the only reason CoCoLav would not need Shakespeare's permission if she were inclined to translate Hamlet into Yoruba, or any other language. It is for the same reason that Ola Rotimi did nothing wrong in his adaptation of Oedipus Rex, since Sophocles died in 406 BC, long before the idea of copyright was even conceived. For an apt comparison, we would have to consider the publication date of Ekwensi's book as well as the duration of the copyright in the original Hausa work, factoring copyright laws extant at the time.

I am a great admirer of Ekwensi and have always thought that perhaps he deserved a little more recognition than he ever got, but this allegation is a serious one. It astounds me that the majority of contributors to this thread have chosen to condemn the investigative effort of the OP (or whoever first made the connection) instead of asking questions of their own and seeking an explanation.

Statements like, 'Why are you crying more than the bereaved' and 'He must have obtained permission,' -- the latter being nothing but bizarre authoritative conjecture -- reflect the pitiful attitude of Nigerians towards reasonable enquiry and mental exertion. This in turn explains our present social, economic and political predicament.

Well, your argument is sound, and I won't pretend to be a copyright expert. I'm just a prolific reader with a general knowledge of issues. However, your own quote " Copyright does not exist in perpetuity. Typically, it lasts for the duration of the author's life and about twenty-five years after his death." actually cuts Ekwensi some slack.

If you agree that the "original" was written when Ekwensi was 12, and he wrote his "version" more than a decade afterwards, and it was not self-published, then the argument should be about the copyright laws existing in that dispensation and the integrity/ due diligence of the publishing outfit. Like you, I would rather Ekwensi is not besmirched by this allegation, but its important to provide a balance to the allegation (that's what it is at the moment ) to prevent a trial by public opinion that Nigerians are unfortunately fond of.

I'm not from Ekwensi's neck-of-the-woods, but the pull-him-down syndrome in Nigeria beggars belief!! Let these allegations be examined properly, disregarding the malice of the author (he could have followed the path of honor and responsibility by writing to the appropriate bodies without escalating it to the public via a regional paper like the DialyTrust) and ensuring that true justice is done.

For those defending Ekwensi without any concrete basis, you can forgive them bearing in mind that the country is currently very polarized along tribal and regional lines. That's one of the reasons I find the author's timing of the article and choice of words very provocative. We must seek to build not destroy...

1 Like

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by hamzeiy: 11:45am On Jul 16, 2016
nwaanambra1:

story story..even noting is done we know for certain mr cyprian wasnt as smart as we taught

2 Likes

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by hamzeiy: 11:48am On Jul 16, 2016
shizzle11:

understood. but does it change the fact that mr cyprian is guilty of plagiarism. igbos should learn to accept criticism. this is about a book. you guyz should stop driving ethnic sentiments into everything. learn to see things rationally for once pls #i tire fr wuna

3 Likes

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by arantess: 11:48am On Jul 16, 2016
Bluetooth2:

You are a shame to Nigeria, your ethnic group, your family, and to the whole world.

This case should be properly investigated just like Philip emeagwali was busted for his lies. Bunch of buttwipes !
See how you are hyperventilating like a rabid dog...he is not responsible for your frustrations na....is the author your father? Just shut up about it
Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by EazyMoh(m): 11:56am On Jul 16, 2016
Sparkle777:

Sorry, but am not so sure of the title. The novel about fulani and the wanderers curse. Reason being that Cyprian Ekwensi wrote many Hausa stories,it ll be good to know if most or all were plagiarised.
Am not aware of other books. Understand me am not trying to pull him down, I believe he was a great writer, even the translation aspect of it is genius, but it's downright fraud without acknowledging the original authors.

1 Like

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by Ihuomadinihu: 11:57am On Jul 16, 2016
adexsimply:

This is gross victim mentality. I had to go back and read the article but I couldn't see any direct reference to Cyprian's tribe. Cyprian was a great writer. I love all his books. He made my childhood very glorious and interesting. Does that change the fact that it's unethical, if not illegal to translate someone else's works without giving any reference or acknowledgement to them? No!

We can't grow if every attempt to bring an individual to justice is labelled "a tribal witch-hunt".
Go to the Ops article and see the direct mention and emphasis on his origins.
You can't bring an individual to justice with such references,unjustified accusations and unwarranted character assasination.
The best route to take is to make inquiries and thorough investigations before relaying such misinformations on a public space.
There is nothing that suggest it was created to get justice,they are mere selective attacks and accusations.
I will listen and pay attention when he takes a more mature and investigative approach.

1 Like

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by murtalaa(m): 11:58am On Jul 16, 2016
I was very young when I read "jiki magayi" in my primary school days. It was such an emotional book ending in tragedy that it made great imprint in my mind. In those days, I never cared to know the authors of the books I read. All that mattered to me was the storyline. When I read "African Night Entertainment" later in secondary school I simply assumed it was the English translation of the Hausa version of the book "Jiki Magayi". Until today, I never knew that Cyprian Ekwensi passed it as a different book to "Jiki Magayi". I have great respect for Ekwensi. I immensely enjoyed his style of telling stories. I feel really sad that he had to take advantage of an unknown author.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Top 10 Nairaland Stories To Enjoy Over The Weekend / Bloodshot -a Short Romance Story / Homeless Not Hopeless By Sola Owonibi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.