Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,741 members, 7,827,738 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:04 PM

Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market (16056 Views)

How Important Is Getting A Professional Certificate In Nigerian Job Market?? / Does The Job Market Discriminate? Your Voice Is Needed / My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by Meche33(m): 8:09am On Jul 17, 2016
Stelvin101:
The last thing I wan to hear about is this cause the job nor cucuma dey the country for we graduates. I can't even remember if there is a job vacancy in this country anymore cause even people who are working I know of engineers, lawyer, teachers, pastors sef wan enter the STREET. Very soon Federal Goverment will be forced to Legalise yahoo for since they can't provide jobs for graduates in this country and na the only way Boiz they use see light.

Whoever quote me I will pour sand into his/her face
. Mehn na your own I follow jare
Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by luckyz4rea(m): 8:15am On Jul 17, 2016
Mzflow:
Let them discriminate from now till eternity, when I want a job, I'll get it grin

word!
Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by ReabridCharles(m): 8:16am On Jul 17, 2016
AntiWailer:

So you can imagine.

The guy was just arguing.

That is one of the reasons I said employers have their valid reasons.

I recall my first job, one of the interviewers told me they would have snatched an experienced guy from another competitor but the problem is that they don't want "stock fish" that you can not attempt to bend.

You don't generalise someone's character and personality flaw. And what makes you think those employers are telling the truth. Sometimes I think when someone truly knows what his worth, they mistake that for pride.
They prefer someone with a little lower experience as long as he/she can blend since they can't afford to bring the other person on board because they truly know what he/she is worth.
Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by kazyhm(m): 8:18am On Jul 17, 2016
AntiWailer:

Like u stated. When we make points we can not forget the context or the environment.

It is sad but the truth is that age matters and affects productivity in Nigeria.

I have been part of several interview panel for old tech guys and all we did through out the interview was argue with the candidate

You can imagine what will happen when he comes in.

It is easier if he will come in as a manager, worst case he will blend the team to his philosophy.

He will definitely struggle as an entry level staff or member of the team we wanted to recruit him for.

lesson
there is this guy in our office, he looks much older than I am but I am older than him on paper, he always make work very difficult
Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by AntiWailer: 8:30am On Jul 17, 2016
ReabridCharles:

You don't generalise someone's character and personality flaw. And what makes you think those employers are telling the truth. Sometimes I think when someone truly knows what his worth, they mistake that for pride.
They prefer someone with a little lower experience as long as he/she can blend since they can't afford to bring the other person on board because they truly know what he/she is worth.

That is why i made it clear.

I was part of the panel and yes It happened.

Yes lower experience is cheaper for the company no doubt about it. Especially when they are sure the lower experience will also deliver.

When I hear "What he is worth" and mistaken for "Pride". I only laugh.

When an employer sees a gold mine, they can relate and identify easily.
Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by Folzye(m): 8:31am On Jul 17, 2016
blackprowler:
My brother, I am the one you're talking about. I am now weak; I only abuse people now. Nigeria destroyed my life. When things go wrong for you and you're the victim, Nigerians don't pity you - they blame you. I am in my 40s now, wasting away. Do the maths, those in their 40s today are the ones whom Babangida destroyed their teenage and early youth years; they're the ones who had the misfortune of experiencing SAP riots, ASUU wars with FG, June 12, Shonekan riots, Abacha riots. One single generation. If I think back at these things, I start to cry. They destroyed my life. I was the top student in my secondary school WASC. I was from poor and ignorant parents and the first in all my extended family to be brilliant enough to aspire to university (not today when it is now the normal next step open to all clowns, hence the low quality). BABANGIDA corrupted the country and they destroyed JAMB and our results of 1990 became a joke due to leakage (never heard of) of the questions. I've never been the same. The kids of today are jokers. They have NO IDEA the hell we continue to live in. The society almost seems to carry on like we didn't exist. I brought up people in the present generation and can do comparisons. In my days, there were NO scholarships anywhere. Today, there are COUNTLESS scholarships, both by companies, individuals, state governments, Federal Government, both within Nigeria and remarkably, SO MANY ABROAD. There was just this BEA scholarships to the then Eastern Block during my time and the few recipients were either those in the order of having 7 straight A1s or having connections, maybe a total of a few scores of people all over Nigeria and they still pick by state quota and being from Edo, I was already disadvantaged. My life has been a tragedy for the very reason I set out in life to be a good honest boy who cared to have a better future and sacrificed so much for it. It has helped me conclude that THERE IS NO GOD CONTROLLING ANYTHING IN THIS WORLD. Most people will never know what I've seen in this life, hence they won't have a reason to come to that conclusion, except if they had the rare intellectual capacity to examine it.

Hello Sir, I can feel your pain and i can assure you that every average nigerian who came from a humble background at one time have fears in their heart will they ever be succesful. Our education system has destroyed many, turning out graduates with low self esteem just because of grades, I was thought absolutely nothing in my whole 5yrs + 1yr of strike in the university, even if you say you have a first class search deep in your heart can you really make any impact rather than just join the band wagon of people who come to this world to just work,feed and die...Left to me Nigeria is a place where dreams die but Only if you let it get to you.

sir, I want to implore you not to be bitter about the past, Try ur possible best to still pick up from somewhere and see where you can make things bettter for yourself even this generation and the one unborn are also going to see things in this perspective as nothing has changed we are just using technology to cover up our shame. I pray for Nigeria

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by cletz991(m): 8:34am On Jul 17, 2016
Stelvin101:
The last thing I wan to hear about is this cause the job nor cucuma dey the country for we graduates. I can't even remember if there is a job vacancy in this country anymore cause even people who are working I know of engineers, lawyer, teachers, pastors sef wan enter the STREET. Very soon Federal Goverment will be forced to Legalise yahoo for since they can't provide jobs for graduates in this country and na the only way Boiz they use see light.

correct Man
Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by blackprowler: 8:48am On Jul 17, 2016
I wrote something to rebut the points for discrimination but it vanished without showing up. I'm devastated as I'm a weak typist and hate going back on my train of thought. I said

1. This has made people lie a lot now

2. Not everyone wants a job. Why should such discrimination persist in all aspects of society? What has BOI loan got to do with age?

3. It's actually a frederal offence in the US to discriminate against people on a long list of reasons, stated in all their correspondence to you.

We haven't even mentioned degree class discrimination

So many issues; so little understanding by the generality of people who always think anything extant is the correct thing

1 Like

Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by FuckTheMods: 9:01am On Jul 17, 2016
blackprowler:
I wrote something to rebut the points for discrimination but it vanished without showing up. I'm devastated as I'm a weak typist and hate going back on my train of thought. I said

1. This has made people lie a lot now

2. Not everyone wants a job. Why should such discrimination persist in all aspects of society? What has BOI loan got to do with age?

3. It's actually a frederal offence in the US to discriminate against people on a long list of reasons, stated in all their correspondence to you.

We haven't even mentioned degree class discrimination

So many issues; so little understanding by the generality of people who always think anything extant is the correct thing
I share your pains bro. God's judgment is coming to Nigeria and it's past leaders who caused untold hardship to Nigerians. Please i beg of you sir. Don't give up. There is God and just believe in Him. Even though He doesn't bless you with the glittering things of this world, He'll surely prepare an heavenly mansion for your soul. Plss

2 Likes

Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by OlafenwaMoses(m): 9:06am On Jul 17, 2016
Stelvin101:

Is that your first Son?......

1 Like

Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by seangy4konji: 9:23am On Jul 17, 2016
Let them discriminate. I know over 300 boys with degree eho were brilliant when we left school but after unsuccessfully trying to get job ? Found their level and now married with businesses and masters good things of life.

Only the few that got legitimate jobs without backing and god favor should thank god. Some Aeolus be mad men now or dead if they had not joined them.

Make god sha deh provide for man dem as na only 70 years max one wants to use to be waiting. 40 years for government workhoe many come remain to send for life

Failed state and country.
Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by Amplitron: 9:42am On Jul 17, 2016
Anytime people complain about age discrimination I ask them this question:
If you are given the job of managing your favorite football club will you buy old players who haven't played with any football club in their lives? What you will do is
1- snatch some experienced players from competitors to assure your victories.
AND/ OR
2 - hire some fresh young players to keep your expenses low.

Hence, it is the same in any industry.
Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by Nobody: 9:45am On Jul 17, 2016
WebSurfer:
Just look at you with all the blunders you wrote up there,

A Nigerian graduate with such a relative thread using the term "Cucuma"

constructing simple sentenses is a problem for you but your Lazy ass is talking about Yahoo,

you could not even hide that from the public out of shame.

Clap for yourself Wole Soyinka, Professor in English Language from Oxford University, Havard distinction Graduate, Alexandra the Great, Major General Sani Abacha, I greet you. The word "Cucuma" is a pigin English word for "Just" meant for Nigerians, understood by Nigerians and spoken by a Nigerian. So if you think you are academically qualified than me in terms of English then you are a learner and still being fed by your parent. Swerve Asshoole! or better still....

8 Likes

Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by 1b8m: 9:49am On Jul 17, 2016
who your happy epp??
WebSurfer:

You pipo should stop lying anyhow angry am not happy

1 Like

Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by dasparrow: 10:37am On Jul 17, 2016
blackprowler:
My brother, I am the one you're talking about. I am now weak; I only abuse people now. Nigeria destroyed my life. When things go wrong for you and you're the victim, Nigerians don't pity you - they blame you. I am in my 40s now, wasting away. Do the maths, those in their 40s today are the ones whom Babangida destroyed their teenage and early youth years; they're the ones who had the misfortune of experiencing SAP riots, ASUU wars with FG, June 12, Shonekan riots, Abacha riots. One single generation. If I think back at these things, I start to cry. They destroyed my life. I was the top student in my secondary school WASC. I was from poor and ignorant parents and the first in all my extended family to be brilliant enough to aspire to university (not today when it is now the normal next step open to all clowns, hence the low quality). BABANGIDA corrupted the country and they destroyed JAMB and our results of 1990 became a joke due to leakage (never heard of) of the questions. I've never been the same. The kids of today are jokers. They have NO IDEA the hell we continue to live in. The society almost seems to carry on like we didn't exist. I brought up people in the present generation and can do comparisons. In my days, there were NO scholarships anywhere. Today, there are COUNTLESS scholarships, both by companies, individuals, state governments, Federal Government, both within Nigeria and remarkably, SO MANY ABROAD. There was just this BEA scholarships to the then Eastern Block during my time and the few recipients were either those in the order of having 7 straight A1s or having connections, maybe a total of a few scores of people all over Nigeria and they still pick by state quota and being from Edo, I was already disadvantaged. My life has been a tragedy for the very reason I set out in life to be a good honest boy who cared to have a better future and sacrificed so much for it. It has helped me conclude that THERE IS NO GOD CONTROLLING ANYTHING IN THIS WORLD. Most people will never know what I've seen in this life, hence they won't have a reason to come to that conclusion, except if they had the rare intellectual capacity to examine it.

I understand your pain. Nigeria is a dream killer. The other day, I was talking with a friend of mine in the USA. This very good friend of mine was telling me that she just landed a permanent job position with the government. Mind you, she is a lot older than me. She is 56 years old. The job comes with benefits such as annual leave, pension plan, health coverage, etc. She does not have to worry about working and not seeing her salary each month. Then after the phone call, I sat and thought about Nigeria where people are prohibited from applying for government jobs once they hit 35. I thought about the fact that my friend did not know any big oga or madam anywhere. A job position was advertised, she applied, got interviewed and landed the job. Luckily, she is not a Nigerian and does not live in Nigeria. If she were, who will hire her at 56 years of age? I was so happy for her you would think I was the one who got the job.

My advise to you at this point is this, if you have the means, leave this country. Things are not looking good at all. The naira is nose diving, the government seems not to have any idea on how to revive the economy and I laugh at Nigerians who think they can vote Buhari out in 2019. Buhari is not like Goodluck Jonathan who conceded defeat. Buhari is obsessed with power and will hang unto it with all his might even if it means rigging the election in his favor come 2019. So Nigerians have 7 more years of hardship/famine/dryness ahead except perhaps God calls Buhari home. You can notice some foreign airlines - Iberia, United - choosing not to fly to Nigeria again. More airlines might withdraw if the government does not find a way to revive the economy.

Another option is, if you are single, engage in online dating and meet people of other nationalities so that that way your potential foreign spouse can file for you and provide you the opportunity to start afresh in another country. Nigeria is a country that has never been fair to her citizens except you come from a very wealthy background. Lastly, don't give up on God because He won't give up on you. He is able! Stay prayerful. Trust me, I've been there - in the valley - but I stay hopeful because as long as there is life, there is hope.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by edivick77(m): 10:48am On Jul 17, 2016
That is why we keep having declaration of age every year to make us employable. I don't blame anybody who keeps reducing his or her age. A Nigeria system where you can't fix at what age you will graduate,because of strikes here and there.
Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by chukwudi06(m): 10:52am On Jul 17, 2016
Recruitment is a very expensive exercise in any establishment and no establishment will be comfortable to be paying for a particular position every year in the name of recruitment. Remember, Nigeria's official retirement age is 60yrs. If you employed 45yrs old candidate, how many years do you think he/she can put in for the establishment? You can do the plus and minus. Again, old age is always associated with all manners of sickness which is capable of rendering such candidate unproductive.
Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by saintandsinnerz: 11:12am On Jul 17, 2016
chukwudi06:
Recruitment is a very expensive exercise in any establishment and no establishment will be comfortable to be paying for a particular position every year in the name of recruitment. Remember, Nigeria's official retirement age is 60yrs. If you employed 45yrs old candidate, how many years do you think he/she can put in for the establishment? You can do the plus and minus. Again, old age is always associated with all manners of sickness which is capable of rendering such candidate unproductive.
You are not bright judging by the rubbish you just wrote here. So a 45 year old person is an old person in your dictionary right? Mr man stop taking that stuff you're taking because it is destroying your senses
Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by seguntijan(m): 11:48am On Jul 17, 2016
# BREAKING NEWS
It was a mild drama at Muritala mohammed international Airport today around 1:30pm Nigeria time when DSS and EFCC officers arrest former president Olusegun Obasanjo on his way out of the country. The former president who was said to wear a white Agbada with a black shoe was arrested by DSS with Hand cuff in his hand the moment he arrived at the airport this afternoon. As at the time we were filling this report, former President Goodluck Jonathan was also said to have been arrested at the Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport, Abuja by DSS on arrival from his foreign trip where he held world press conference yesterday.
The main reason for the arrest of these two prominent politician is yet to be Known but our source has it that EFCC and ICPC has sent different letters of invitation to former president Olusegun Obasanjo and Goodluck Jonathan due to different sorts of allegations which were leveled against them but they refuse to yields to their request.
Former president Olusegun Obasanjo was said to have been involved in Halliburton bribery case and according to the on going Investigation by the National assembly on power sector, an underground source has it that the former president was said to have embelzzle 570billion naira which was budget for the power sector from 2005-2007.
According to our conversation with one of the EFCC officers who refuse to revealed his name, he stated that former President Goodluck Jonathan was being quizzed over the $2.1Billion arms deal. Jonathan was in company of some of his former Ministers at the time of the arrest,although report has it that some of the security men attached to the former President put up some resistance,they were disarmed by their superior officers who accompanied the DSS to effect the arrest, the former president was practically dragged and whisked away in a black Toyota Hilux vehicle belonging to the DSS.
According to the source,Jonathan, his wife, his Lawyer(Alex Izion SAN) and President Olusegun Obasanjo were said to be on their way to the EFCC office but their arrival is yet to be confirmed by the EFCC
The arrest of the two prominent politician is due to president Mohammadu Buhari Zero tolerance to corruption and his determinations to fight corruption not minding whose Ox is Gored.
°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
While I was reading this news in my dream, My brother just tapped me at the back and Shouted big bro !!! You are dosing off and snoring go and sleep in your room. Na so i enter my room ooooo and say make i share the dream.
Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by WebSurfer(m): 11:52am On Jul 17, 2016
Stelvin101:

Clap for yourself Wole Soyinka, Professor in English Language from Oxford University, Havard distinction Graduate, Alexandra the Great, Major General Sani Abacha, I greet you. The word "Cucuma" is a pigin English word for "Just" meant for Nigerians, understood by Nigerians and spoken by a Nigerian. So if you think you are academically qualified than me in terms of English then you are a learner and still being fed by your parent. Swerve Asshoole! or better still....

Chaiiiii

... who wrote this for you

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by Johnrake69: 12:25pm On Jul 17, 2016
Stelvin101:

Correct guy. Pidgin is our language, and I think it's high time we adopt it into the educational system. It will help us assimilate faster and invent stuffs. Most inventors hardly speak or spoke the Queen's English.
Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by Nobody: 12:27pm On Jul 17, 2016
11cows4sale:
that's why most pipo falsified their age,,am 29 but my cv says am 22
I op ur waec certificate is carry a D.O.B of 22
Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by Rizmo(m): 12:52pm On Jul 17, 2016
How on earth is this possible.....
"to qualify, you must not be more than 24 years, must have PhD, and must have 10 Years working experience.
grin How on earth is this possible.....
"to qualify, you must not be more than 24 years, must have PhD, and must have 10 Years working experience.

2 Likes

Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by WebSurfer(m): 12:53pm On Jul 17, 2016
blackprowler:
I felt sad after readinh this sir, but i think maybe you were dependent hence the reason it got to that.
But i still feel like it is never too late,

You can still become great if you want to.

It doesnt matter how long you went but how far you can go within a short time.

Happy sunday

2 Likes

Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by ipalibo14(m): 1:24pm On Jul 17, 2016
grin grin grin[color=#000099][/color]
WebSurfer:
Just look at you with all the blunders you wrote up there,

A Nigerian graduate with such a relative thread using the term "Cucuma"

constructing simple sentenses is a problem for you but your Lazy ass is talking about Yahoo,

you could not even hide that from the public out of shame.
Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by teacherbim(f): 1:31pm On Jul 17, 2016
Mzflow:
I shall decree a thing...

and it shall come to past
Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by Nobody: 2:27pm On Jul 17, 2016
too much kids on Nairaland... good write up
Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by bellville: 2:48pm On Jul 17, 2016
obajoey:
Different cv with different date of birth when you are not abiku..lol

Its so sad. God help us
very funny

1 Like

Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by dfrost: 3:02pm On Jul 17, 2016
blackprowler:
My brother, I am the one you're talking about.

Bros, you just broke my heart with your life story albeit short. What do you do now for a living?
Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by blackprowler: 3:24pm On Jul 17, 2016
dfrost:

Bros, you just broke my heart with your life story albeit short. What do you do now for a living?

Thank you. As you can imagine, almost 45 is a long time and I've had a lot of activities in life which that post doesn't come close to reflecting. Right now, what irks me and the reason for my post is that inspite of my efforts to get back on my feet, there's no provision for people like us in the eyes of govt or society. I can not find real capital to invest in my business for the reason the OP has stated. I live by generosity of one or two of my siblings after having run out of the monies I sourced myself. What irks me the most is I have a huge lot to offer, not to be treated as a charity case, but people don't patronise a small starter and I don't have as little as 1.5 million at once to come out big (a shop/office alone would gulp +500k in a good place). I deal in tech which is capital intensive but I'm very good in things I involve myself in. You can send a code so I can reach you privately. I insist I'm not a charity case; I bring a lot to the table. Thanks
Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by dfrost: 3:51pm On Jul 17, 2016
blackprowler:

Thank you. As you can imagine, almost 45 is a long time and I've had a lot of activities in life which that post doesn't come close to reflecting. Right now, what irks me and the reason for my post is that inspite of my efforts to get back on my feet, there's no provision for people like us in the eyes of govt or society. I can not find real capital to invest in my business for the reason the OP has stated. I live by generosity of one or two of my siblings after having run out of the monies I sourced myself. What irks me the most is I have a huge lot to offer, not to be treated as a charity case, but people don't patronise a small starter and I don't have as little as 1.5 million at once to come out big (a shop/office alone would gulp +500k in a good place). I deal in tech which is capital intensive but I'm very good in things I involve myself in. You can send a code so I can reach you privately. I insist I'm not a charity case; I bring a lot to the table. Thanks

Hmmm... I'll send you a pm. Never give up. cry smiley wink
Re: Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market by Obiwiz(m): 4:53pm On Jul 17, 2016
11cows4sale:
that's why most pipo falsified their age,,am 29 but my cv says am 22
Lol. But your o'level certificate go betray you na

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Federal Ministry Of Environment Recruitment, 21st May, 2018 / Heirs Oil & Gas 2021 Recruitment / How To Apply Access Bank Entry-level Graduate Trainee Recruitment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.