Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,546 members, 7,827,040 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:30 AM

Gani Was A Fake Muslim? Burial Plans Anti-islamic - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gani Was A Fake Muslim? Burial Plans Anti-islamic (1711 Views)

Are There Any Burial Plans For Alameiseigha? / OPC Council Disowns Gani Adams, For Betraying Yoruba Nation / Gani Adams Reveals That 85% Of Lagosians Want Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gani Was A Fake Muslim? Burial Plans Anti-islamic by Nchara: 2:21am On Sep 14, 2009
Gani to be Buried with Coffin, Says Family
•Ajibola decries lying-in-state
From Tunde Saani in Ibadan and Charles Ajunwa in Lagos, 09.14.2009

Add To Favorites
Print This Article
Post Comment

Saheed, the second son of the late legal icon, Chief Gani Fawehinmi (SAN), yesterday disclosed that his father had instructed family members that his remains should be buried with a coffin when he dies.
Gani had lost the spirited battle with lung cancer on Saturday September 5. His remains will be buried tomorrow in Ondo, his hometown, after the lying-in-state ceremonies in Lagos and Benin, Edo State.
Saheed told THISDAY that his late father had said his corpse should not be buried immediately and that his burial should be done in “a modern Islamic way”, which will allow his body to lie in state.
He also said his dad instructed them to continue with the good works he did while alive.
But former Attorney-General of the Federation and Justice Minister, Prince Bola Ajibola, has said the lying-in-state ceremonies held for the late Gani were anti-Islam.
Ajibola’s position tallied with that of the Executive Secretary of the Muslim Ummah of South-west Nigeria (MUSWEN), Prof. Dawud Noibi. The duo spoke at the body’s First Annual Lecture held in Ibadan.
Saheed said: “He asked not to be buried immediately as they did in the olden days. He instructed us to bury him in a modern Islamic way and he asked for that to be done when he was no more. Also, he said that his body should be buried with a coffin and as you can see we are merely carrying out his instructions. Again, he specially said that everything he did must continue.”
He said the late legal luminary asked the family to continue to give assistance to the disabled in society.
Such assistance, according to him, should include monthly feeding, monetary gifts and legal help to the less-priviledged.
Members of the Arewa United Association, Cripple Anti-beggars Association and the Emir of Lagos for the blind, Seriki Markifi Abdulhamidu Haruna, were at the Ikeja residence of the legal luminary for the muslim Fidau prayers held in his honour.
Leader of the anti-beggars association, Alhaji Abubakar Mohammed, who was accompanied by other cripples, said the late Gani used to give them monetary assistance which had helped some of then to become self-employed or independent.
He said: “We are here because our father is dead. For Nigeria, we will not get a person like Baba again because any time we have problem we run to him. I think we will never have anybody like Baba again. Our only prayer is for God to help his family.”
In Ibadan, prayers were, however, offered for Gani at the Ramadan lecture with a declaration that his death at the holy month of Ramadan was a ticket to Paradise for him.
According to Ajibola, the good deeds of the deceased social crusader and the post humus encomiums on him even by the less-privileged were enough evidence that he had a blessed life and should be allowed to go back to His Creator without delay.
“In Islam, we are enjoined to bury our dead without any form of delay. I am surprised at this funfare over the burial of Chief Gani Fawehinmi and I think he ought to be accorded speedy burial rites so that he can start to benefit from the favours of Allah in the grave,” he said.
Noibi congratulated Gani’s children and family for the life of their breadwinner, urging them to emulate his virtues.
Like Ajibola, the don, however, picked hole in the funfare trailing his death, saying it was totally against Islam.
“We are happy as muslims that Chief Gani Fawehinmi lived a worthy life. We are however unhappy that at a time he should be given speedy burial to reunite with his Lord, his lifeless corpse is being taken everywhere for the fun of it. This is clearly unIslamic. It is hoped that other persons would draw a lesson and order that their corpse should be buried in record time when they die,” he said.
Clerics at the occasion like the Chief Imam of Owo in Ondo State, Alhaji Ahmed Olagoke Aladesawe, and Prof. Kamaldeen Balogun, in their sermons, called on muslims to allow their ways of life to be guided by the tenets of the religion regardless of their respective status in the society.
"For us to be part of those who will enter Paradise at the end of our sojourn in this world, all we need to do is to see other muslims as our brethrens, give our religious leaders their due respect and shun any act of indiscipline," he said.
Re: Gani Was A Fake Muslim? Burial Plans Anti-islamic by mbulela: 2:24am On Sep 14, 2009
Ajibola and co should go and get a life.
religion and spirituality is a personal matter.
The man lived his life and made his choices.
who are they or the poster to brand him a fake Muslim?
So Abacha and Wada Nas that were buried immediately were model Muslims?
i beg, free me jo.
Re: Gani Was A Fake Muslim? Burial Plans Anti-islamic by AloyEmeka6: 2:30am On Sep 14, 2009
Ajebola said nothing wrong. OP is misleading you with the thread title. He only requested for Gani to be buried asap so he will start enjoying the after life according to what moslems believe.
Re: Gani Was A Fake Muslim? Burial Plans Anti-islamic by naijaking1: 2:36am On Sep 14, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

Ajebola said nothing wrong. OP is misleading you with the thread title. He only requested for Gani to be buried asap so he will start enjoying the after life according to what moslems believe.

Well said mallam Emeka.
Re: Gani Was A Fake Muslim? Burial Plans Anti-islamic by mbulela: 2:36am On Sep 14, 2009
thanks Emeka.
the title thread is very misleading.
looks like the sort of thing you read in City People.
Re: Gani Was A Fake Muslim? Burial Plans Anti-islamic by raymon56: 2:41am On Sep 14, 2009
if Gani was a true muslim he wont be buried with all this noise.no matter how hihly placed of a muslim when he dies he is buried that day. he might have been a great man in other things but not about his religion
Re: Gani Was A Fake Muslim? Burial Plans Anti-islamic by Nchara: 2:44am On Sep 14, 2009
My title was a question, but painfully, the answer seems obvious. You are either a or b and not both. No wonder northern muslims have little regard for their southern brethren
Re: Gani Was A Fake Muslim? Burial Plans Anti-islamic by mbulela: 2:50am On Sep 14, 2009
And since when did the northern muslims become saints and yardsticks?
Do you know how much  cartons of Udeme and shine shine bobo that NBL and Guinness sell in Northern Nigeria?

There is a trap there, make sure you do not fall into it  tongue
Re: Gani Was A Fake Muslim? Burial Plans Anti-islamic by Nchara: 2:54am On Sep 14, 2009
How about Middle eastern muslims? How do they treat their dead, even of kings?
Re: Gani Was A Fake Muslim? Burial Plans Anti-islamic by udezue(m): 2:59am On Sep 14, 2009
Like there is something special and befitting about being a real muslim. grin
Re: Gani Was A Fake Muslim? Burial Plans Anti-islamic by mbulela: 3:07am On Sep 14, 2009
Nchara:

How about Middle eastern muslims? How do they treat their dead, even of kings?

typical Nigerian, answering a question with another question.
Re: Gani Was A Fake Muslim? Burial Plans Anti-islamic by Nchara: 3:11am On Sep 14, 2009
mbulela:

typical Nigerian, answering a question with another question.

You are the typical nigerian who always wants to live in self denial and full of unnecessary sentiments. The arabs are the model muslims. How do they bury their dead and how does the case of Gani play in that?
Re: Gani Was A Fake Muslim? Burial Plans Anti-islamic by Nchara: 3:12am On Sep 14, 2009
udezue:

Like there is something special and befitting about being a real muslim. grin

That is a story for another day.
Re: Gani Was A Fake Muslim? Burial Plans Anti-islamic by mbulela: 3:16am On Sep 14, 2009
mbulela:

And since when did the northern muslims become saints and yardsticks?
Do you know how much  cartons of Udeme and shine shine bobo that NBL and Guinness sell in Northern Nigeria?

how about the story for today?
Re: Gani Was A Fake Muslim? Burial Plans Anti-islamic by Nchara: 3:20am On Sep 14, 2009
Is it that bad that you now quote yourself? OMG!
Re: Gani Was A Fake Muslim? Burial Plans Anti-islamic by Kobojunkie: 3:34am On Sep 14, 2009
It is common knowledge that muslims are usually buried on the same day they die. No need to turn this into another INSULT-EXCHANGE
Re: Gani Was A Fake Muslim? Burial Plans Anti-islamic by Nchara: 3:50am On Sep 14, 2009
Kobojunkie:

It is common knowledge that muslims are usually buried on the same day they die. No need to turn this into another INSULT-EXCHANGE

Thanks for this observation and that is the end of the story.
Re: Gani Was A Fake Muslim? Burial Plans Anti-islamic by mbulela: 5:25am On Sep 14, 2009
Kindly thread softly.
I have not insulted anyone.
my problem is with the title of the post,its sensational nature and the comments of the poster about northern muslims.
if you want to end the story, why not reword the title in line with the contents of your post? and explain why northern muslims have a right to look down on their southern brethren.
do you still consider those requests insults?
Re: Gani Was A Fake Muslim? Burial Plans Anti-islamic by Nobody: 5:35am On Sep 14, 2009
as una dey get headache over person wey don die after his long life.
Re: Gani Was A Fake Muslim? Burial Plans Anti-islamic by illusion2: 7:01am On Sep 14, 2009
[center]Its amazing how human beings can judge who is a real muslim & who is not . . . . . . . I particularly like the Abacha & Wada Nas quotes wink. . . . hypocrisy is the name of the game in Nigeria cheesy[/center]
Re: Gani Was A Fake Muslim? Burial Plans Anti-islamic by babapupa: 7:23am On Sep 14, 2009
You're beginning to sound like an attention seeking alarmist. You did the same thing with Tinubu the other day by changing the Title of the news article.

Questioning a dead man's religion is a new depth and shameful low. Use your best judgment and pull yourself back sometimes.

Respect a dead man's wish and quit the foolishness.
Re: Gani Was A Fake Muslim? Burial Plans Anti-islamic by Nobody: 8:04am On Sep 14, 2009
What can u say about MKO burial too? Still yet, imams still supervised the proceedings.
Re: Gani Was A Fake Muslim? Burial Plans Anti-islamic by Jarus(m): 9:31am On Sep 14, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

Well said.
Nchara:

Is it that bad that you now quote yourself? OMG!
raymon56:

if Gani was a true muslim he wont be buried with all this noise.no matter how hihly placed of a muslim when he dies he is buried that day. he might have been a great man in other things but not about his religion
Well said too.

Gani might have given Un-Islamic orders concerning his burial, that doesn't make him a fake Muslim, as the OP wants us to believe.
Re: Gani Was A Fake Muslim? Burial Plans Anti-islamic by slap1(m): 9:53am On Sep 14, 2009
Didn't u guyz see d (?) in d post? I believe d poster wanted 2 know if Gani's obsequies made him a fake Muslim. I am a Xtian but I think it does not as it has no spiritual affiliation,which is wot matters most in religion. And, mind u, Gani instructed no 1 not to bury him d day he died, & he is not a member of his burial Planning Committee.
Re: Gani Was A Fake Muslim? Burial Plans Anti-islamic by slap1(m): 9:54am On Sep 14, 2009
Didn't u guyz see d (?) in d post? I believe d poster wanted 2 know if Gani's obsequies made him a fake Muslim. I am a Xtian but I think it does not as it has no spiritual affiliation,which is wot matters most in religion. And, mind u, Gani instructed no 1 not to bury him d day he died, & he is not a member of his burial Planning Committee.
Re: Gani Was A Fake Muslim? Burial Plans Anti-islamic by slap1(m): 9:55am On Sep 14, 2009
Re: Gani Was A Fake Muslim? Burial Plans Anti-islamic by Nobody: 10:24am On Sep 14, 2009
Mr Poster, Being a Christain or a Moslem is not about religious traditions its about obeying the real and greatest commands of all religions, To love, to be fair and to ensure Justice and Equity. The fake Moslems are the ones who go on doing traditional religious practices and yet steal, kill, lie and murder. For me, religion is far beyound praying five times a day or going to church or mosque, its about being and doing good, respecting and fightting for the right principles.
For me, Gani can be buried anyway he chooses to be and he is one of the best examples of how a Moslem should be
Re: Gani Was A Fake Muslim? Burial Plans Anti-islamic by slap1(m): 10:41am On Sep 14, 2009
@ aisha2. A hot kiss won't be bad 4 u, my dear. Don't mind me: it's been raining since morning in Aba. . . .
Re: Gani Was A Fake Muslim? Burial Plans Anti-islamic by Bialegend(m): 10:46am On Sep 14, 2009
that his burial should be done in “a modern Islamic way”, which will allow his body to lie in state.
Muslims have always like to remain in dark ages. The reason why they are the least developed amongst all the major religions. Archaic, backward, stone age, primitive set of people. In the minds of all muslims, there is nothing like "mordern", but Gani has told them that there is.
Re: Gani Was A Fake Muslim? Burial Plans Anti-islamic by Kobojunkie: 10:52am On Sep 14, 2009
aisha2:

Mr Poster, Being a Christain or a Moslem is not about religious traditions its about obeying the real and greatest commands of all religions, To love, to be fair and to ensure Justice and Equity. The fake Moslems are the ones who go on doing traditional religious practices and yet steal, kill, lie and murder. For me, religion is far beyound praying five times a day or going to church or mosque, its about being and doing good, respecting and fightting for the right principles.
For me, Gani can be buried anyway he chooses to be and he is one of the best examples of how a Moslem should be

UUumm,  That is [size=14pt]BULL[/size]!!! Next time, tell us you are SPEAKING OF YOUR PERSONAL INTERPRETATION!
Re: Gani Was A Fake Muslim? Burial Plans Anti-islamic by GettysBurg: 11:52am On Sep 14, 2009
Nchara:

My title was a question, but painfully, the answer seems obvious. You are either a or b and not both. No wonder northern muslims have little regard for their southern brethren
Gulf Muslims feel like the most superior muslims and look down on all other Arab Muslims. All other Arab muslims look down on African muslims.
Now, Northern Muslims have little regard for their Southern brethren.
All this discrimination sef!
Re: Gani Was A Fake Muslim? Burial Plans Anti-islamic by Nobody: 11:55am On Sep 14, 2009
Kobojunkie:

UUumm, That is [size=14pt]BULL[/size]!!! Next time, tell us you are SPEAKING OF YOUR PERSONAL INTERPRETATION!
Thanks for correcting me

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Politics Of Super Eagles Composition: Quota System Does Not Apply? / Nine Indices That Determine Political Success Or Failure In Nigeria / Ogun State Speaker Tunji Egbetokun Impeached

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.