Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,600 members, 7,812,958 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:50 PM

What You Don't Know About That Silent Killer: Hepatitis - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / What You Don't Know About That Silent Killer: Hepatitis (1130 Views)

All You Need To Know About The Deadly Hepatitis B Virus! / Depression Will Kill You, If You Don't Know This About Your Life! / Renal Failure: A Silent Killer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What You Don't Know About That Silent Killer: Hepatitis by chnovpaul(m): 3:49pm On Jul 17, 2016
culled from salubi.com

It was one of those days I wished I didn’t go to work. It happened while I was ‘setting drip’ (IV infusion) for a patient, with a colleague. A simple procedure went haywire when a needle that just came out of the vein of the patient went through my gloves, and right into my finger. I didn’t feel any pain at first, but mind-numbing shock – the kind that comes when you’ve just seen a ghost. I had just experienced the dreaded needle-stick injury, the fear of many health workers.

The first thing that came to my mind was to be sure I had not just given myself HIV as I ran around, trying to stay calm, looking for her medical records to be sure she wasn’t infected with the virus.

HIV status: Non-Reactive. I was happy.

But my happiness was short-lived. Just a few lines below that was her Hepatitis B status. In big red letters, staring back at me, like bloodthirsty demons from the pit of hell, was the word I desperately hoped not to see: POSITIVE! God, they have finally come for me.

Apparently she was Hepatitis B positive, and I didn’t know. As soon as I realized, I went numb. You’d wonder what the stress about an ordinary needle prick is. Here’s why.

Hepatitis basically means inflammation of the liver. It’s caused by a range of things like alcohol, toxins, some bacteria, viruses, etc., but the most common source of the disease are the viruses – those tiny, annoying, vexatious, nettlesome, crazy bugs you never get to see, even with the use of glasses as thick as the bottom of a Coca-Cola bottle..

There are different types of viral hepatitis, depending on the virus. Hepatitis A infection is caused by the Hepatitis A virus, Hepatitis B infection by Hepatitis B virus, Hepatitis C infection by Hepatitis C virus, and so on, for D and E.

Viral hepatitis could be acute or chronic. In the acute forms, you may just notice some weakness, loss of appetite, and feeling unwell generally. There may also be yellowness of the eyes. These are symptoms people mistake for malaria and typhoid, and may be reasons why you don’t pick it up on time, till it becomes chronic.

The most dangerous and common, especially in Nigeria are the Hepatitis B and C viruses, as they are responsible for making people have a higher chance of developing liver cirrhosis and liver cancer. As many as an estimated 400 million people are dealing with hepatitis B and C infection worldwide.

Not just that alone, you think HIV is the worst you’ve seen? Think again. HBV and HCV are 50 to 100 times more infectious than HIV. 4000 people die every day from this disease alone. Imagine!

Obviously, viral hepatitis has started Tom Cruise’s ‘Mission Possible’, and is climbing the stage as the 7th leading cause of death and disability in the world, accounting for more deaths in a year than HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis, or Malaria. Gosh!

How is it transmitted?

Very simple. It comes through:

Unprotected sex with an infected person
Contaminated water and food (Hepatitis A and E only)
Transfusion with infected blood and blood products
Infected mother to her child
Needle-stick injury (Please, don’t remind me)
Use of unsterilized sharp objects
Sharing sharp objects such as razors and needles.

How will you know?

The only way to be sure is to do a blood test. If it is there, some tiny particles on the virus will give it away, and the test comes out positive. Oh! You’re still sitting there? Get up and go do your test immediately.

Here’s how to prevent it

First things first, understand how it is transmitted and avoid all the possibilities.

Wash your hands regularly.
Make sure your food is properly cooked before eating.
Avoid unprotected sexual intercourse with . . . (Abstain, Be faithful, use Condoms)
Avoid sharing sharp objects or personal items.
Screen blood and all blood products for hepatitis before transfusion.
Proper screening of pregnant women.
Use of appropriate personal protective equipment by healthcare personnel.

If you’ve been exposed…

If you have been exposed recently to Hepatitis B, here’s what to do. Get up. No. Spring up and run to the nearest hospital to be screened. It’s possible a previous exposure you were unaware of has led to an infection.

If the test shows you are Hepatitis B negative, then you can receive the vaccine, which is highly recommended and reduces your chances of coming down with the disease.

If you are HBV positive, don’t lose hope. It’s not an automatic death sentence.

The good news is, it can be treated, if picked up early. What then are you waiting for? Go check your Hepatitis status right now. Tomorrow may be . . . you know the rest.

How much do you now know about hepatitis? Challenge yourself. Test your knowledge. Try the Hepatitis Game. http://salubi.com/hepatitis-quiz/

NOTE

COMMON PEOPLE’S HEALTH organizes a Hepatitis Awareness and Free Screening Campaign on July 28, 2016 which is the World Hepatitis Day.

Come, GET TESTED, and learn more about how you can live a life free of hepatitis.

Share with your friends, Tag them, and let’s join hands to KICK HEPATITIS out of Nigeria.

#HepFreeNigeria #HepFreeLagos #NOHEPLagos #WHD #WorldHepatitisDay

VENUES: University of Lagos, Akoka; Primary Health Care Centres in Eti-Osa East LCDA, Lagos

Email us: info@salubi.com or call +2348092998000 for more enquiries.

Re: What You Don't Know About That Silent Killer: Hepatitis by blacbard(m): 12:48am On Sep 04, 2016
very useful information

cc @lalasticalala @seun
Re: What You Don't Know About That Silent Killer: Hepatitis by trinityhealth: 3:31pm On Sep 14, 2016
PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE
Hepatitis which used to be a rare disease has now been found to be more prevalent, more virulent and deadlier than HIV. This is because it can survive very harsh condition and can be transmitted at the slightest contact of body fluids with infected persons.
From the aforesaid, it is necessary that we adopt better approaches including:
1. Good hygienic practices
2. Avoid sharing of sharp objects
3. Screen all transfused blood no matter the urgency
4. Avoid unprotected sex
5. Avoid risky behaviors and use of intravenous hard drugs.
6. Avoid excess intake of Alcohol and smoking
7. ENSURE YOU ARE VACCINATED

If you are already infected, you may wish to speak to your doctor on treatment plan.
A new drug called HEPANTIVIR may be very helpful in clearing the virus from your system.

If you are still unaware of your status, please ensure you and your patner get tested.
Free hepatitis B screening is on going at Trinity Health Care Limited, Lagos.

For further enquiries, please contact Trinity Health Care Limited on +234(0)9031652000, +234(0)8028791004 or send an email to info@trinityhealthstores.com
Re: What You Don't Know About That Silent Killer: Hepatitis by Zainey338: 10:52pm On Sep 14, 2016
Hello every one, how are you? smiley
Re: What You Don't Know About That Silent Killer: Hepatitis by trinityhealth: 12:05pm On Jul 31, 2017
Hepatitis B is fast becoming a Serious health menace in Nigeria and the most recent reports show that an estimated 11million Nigerians are currently infected with Hepatitis B. Over 250,000 new infections are recorded yearly in Nigeria.
The only insurance policy against Hepatitis B is vaccination. Every Nigerian needs to be vaccinated against this Virus.

To vaccinate members of your Organization or group for as low as N1,500 per person contact Trinity Healthcare on info@trinityhealthstores.com or 15 Kushimo street, Itire, Lagos state. You can call us on 08028791004 or 09031652000
Re: What You Don't Know About That Silent Killer: Hepatitis by jbblues24(m): 2:02pm On May 26, 2019
Nice use of black in this idea.

(1) (Reply)

5 Home Made Remedies For Stretch Marks / Apple Cider Vinegar And Its Benefits / How To Get Rid Of Those Stretch Marks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.