Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,366 members, 7,812,050 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:12 AM

So The 'O' In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For "OF" - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / So The 'O' In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For "OF" (4093 Views)

'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology / The "O" In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For Of / Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

So The 'O' In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For "OF" by Nobody: 1:41pm On Jul 19, 2016
I saw this on Facebook.

Our teachers really owe us an apology.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: So The 'O' In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For "OF" by Doctorfitz: 1:43pm On Jul 19, 2016
Hmmm.ok
Re: So The 'O' In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For "OF" by Nobody: 1:59pm On Jul 19, 2016
Doctorfitz:
Hmmm.ok

wink lol. Are you buying land or leasing?
Re: So The 'O' In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For "OF" by Fynestboi: 2:01pm On Jul 19, 2016
Hmmmmm.
Re: So The 'O' In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For "OF" by alabiyemmy(m): 2:03pm On Jul 19, 2016
Oren wondered why multiplication twice. So not off.
Re: So The 'O' In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For "OF" by Anyi3(m): 2:08pm On Jul 19, 2016
Honestly as a kid, hearing "of" didn't sound right. It just didn't flow. I reasoned that it's only few times you'd actually hear the word of and that's when the maths question is in sentence format. When maths is written in equations, "of" made no sense. But then the "adults are right" mentality over wrote that. I'm so glad I've learnt this now

They really ought to give us an apology.
Re: So The 'O' In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For "OF" by Nobody: 2:14pm On Jul 19, 2016
alabiyemmy:
Oren wondered why multiplication twice. So not off.

I used to wonder too. But a teacher can't be questioned na
Re: So The 'O' In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For "OF" by Nobody: 2:17pm On Jul 19, 2016
Anyi3:
Honestly as a kid, hearing "of" didn't sound right. It just didn't flow. I reasoned that it's only few times you'd actually hear the word of and that's when the maths question is in sentence format. When maths is written in equations, "of" made no sense. But then the "adults are right" mentality over wrote that. I'm so glad I've learnt this now

They really ought to give us an apology.

I used to say that it was when English was on Shakespearean style. See me dey teach wetin I no know. Lol
Re: So The 'O' In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For "OF" by Doctorfitz: 2:51pm On Jul 19, 2016
AgricSalt:

wink lol. Are you buying land or leasing?

None of the above
Re: So The 'O' In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For "OF" by Nobody: 5:27pm On Jul 19, 2016
Cc: olawalebabs , Fynestboi , Richiez , lalasticlala
Re: So The 'O' In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For "OF" by Rukkydelta(f): 6:03pm On Jul 19, 2016
What my teacher taught me was
B- Bracket
O- Open
D- Division
M- Multiplication
A- Addition
S- Subtraction

1 Like

Re: So The 'O' In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For "OF" by Nobody: 6:29pm On Jul 19, 2016
Rukkydelta:
What my teacher taught me was

B- Bracket

O- Open

D- Division

M- Multiplication

A- Addition

S- Subtraction

"Open" kwa? E be like say your own teacher go owe you double apology oo.
Re: So The 'O' In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For "OF" by phlemzy: 7:13pm On Jul 19, 2016
Whether "of" or not,it was applied back in the days and it never failed us. We got the concept.
Re: So The 'O' In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For "OF" by Jayroland: 8:27pm On Jul 19, 2016
I don't think they lied to us. I knew the 'O' to represent 'Power Of'. So, I don't think they were wrong. As you know, PEMDAS = BODMAS. I trust you also know that 'M' and 'D' can interchange, thereby, their order has no effect on the answer. Also note that P = Parenthesis, E = Exponents, M= Multiplication, D = Division, A = Addition and S = Subtraction.
Bracket, power Of, Division, Multiplication, Addition, Subtraction ie BODMAS

1 Like

Re: So The 'O' In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For "OF" by Nobody: 2:22pm On Jul 20, 2016
phlemzy:
Whether "of" or not,it was applied back in the days and it never failed us. We got the concept.

No it didn't. But didn't it deter you from solving some "simplify" in mock exam, waec and their likes?
Re: So The 'O' In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For "OF" by Nobody: 2:25pm On Jul 20, 2016
Jayroland:
I don't think they lied to us. I knew the 'O' to represent 'Power Of'. So, I don't think they were wrong. As you know, PEMDAS = BODMAS. I trust you also know that 'M' and 'D' can interchange, thereby, their order has no effect on the answer. Also note that P = Parenthesis, E = Exponents, M= Multiplication, D = Division, A = Addition and S = Subtraction.
Bracket, power Of, Division, Multiplication, Addition, Subtraction ie BODMAS

Well you knew, we didn't. They didn't explicitly explain
Re: So The 'O' In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For "OF" by nnadychuks(m): 2:28pm On Jul 20, 2016
Bracket Of division,multiplication,addition,subtraction.. Oya op come kill me put na grin
Re: So The 'O' In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For "OF" by crowntoro(f): 4:30pm On Jul 20, 2016
guys pls, does anyone know where library is in Ikeja, Lagos?
Re: So The 'O' In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For "OF" by skywalker001(m): 5:12pm On Jul 20, 2016
AgricSalt:

"Open" kwa? E be like say your own teacher go owe you double apology oo.
lolz gringringrin open ni close ko grin

1 Like

Re: So The 'O' In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For "OF" by skywalker001(m): 5:15pm On Jul 20, 2016
crowntoro:
guys pls, does anyone know where library is in Ikeja, Lagos?
ur fone isn't only meant for chatting... Google am
Re: So The 'O' In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For "OF" by skywalker888(f): 6:55pm On Jul 20, 2016
skywalker001:
Hello my male version? cheesy

1 Like

Re: So The 'O' In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For "OF" by crowntoro(f): 7:46pm On Jul 20, 2016
skywalker001:
Kids that lack home training are too many these days on nairaland#ignored#
Re: So The 'O' In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For "OF" by Nobody: 7:51pm On Jul 20, 2016
Eye opener
Re: So The 'O' In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For "OF" by skywalker001(m): 7:53pm On Jul 20, 2016
crowntoro:
[s]Kids that lack home training are too many these days on nairaland#ignored#[/s]
And what is grandma stil doing on nl See I no get ur tym nw cuz if I say mak I bash u now I go miss nxt wik contest... So I comment my reserve till after d contest tongue
Re: So The 'O' In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For "OF" by skywalker001(m): 7:56pm On Jul 20, 2016
skywalker888:
Hello my male version? cheesy
twin sis hw is u grin
Re: So The 'O' In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For "OF" by skywalker888(f): 12:41am On Jul 21, 2016
skywalker001:
twin sis hw is u grin
I'm fine jawe... I wish I could reply your but I'm sowi I no longer have access to the mail I used to open this account
Re: So The 'O' In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For "OF" by skywalker001(m): 8:14am On Jul 21, 2016
skywalker888:
I'm fine jawe... I wish I could reply your but I'm sowi I no longer have access to the mail I used to open this account
owk no p, u can stil ff me back... Hw ws ur 9t ?

(1) (Reply)

Delsu Cut Off Mark 2012 / UNIVERSITY OF ILORIN 2015/2016 ADMISSION PROCESS / See Full List Of Fake Universities In Nigeria!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.