Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,004 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:35 AM

Ibru, Adigwe, Ebong, 3 Others Get N1.8bn Bail - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibru, Adigwe, Ebong, 3 Others Get N1.8bn Bail (3101 Views)

Buhari Sacks Director-Generals Of NTA, NBC, NOA & 3 Others / FG Spends N5.8bn On Presidential Jets In Six Months / Soldier, 3 Others Feared Dead In Rivers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ibru, Adigwe, Ebong, 3 Others Get N1.8bn Bail by dafman10(m): 10:04am On Sep 15, 2009
FORMER Managing Directors and Chief Executive Officers of three banks — Mrs Cecilia Ibru (Oceanic Bank Plc); Mr. Sebastian Adigwe (Afribank Plc) and Bartholomew Ebong (Union Bank of Nigeria Plc)  and three others were yesterday granted bail by a Federal High Court sitting in Lagos, in the total sum of N1.8 billion.

Each of the accused persons was admitted to bail in the sum of N100 million and two sureties in like sum.
However at press time, none of them had been released as they were said to be perfecting the conditions

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2009/09/15/ibru-adigwe-ebong-3-others-get-n1-8bn-bail/comment-page-1/

Bullshit.
Re: Ibru, Adigwe, Ebong, 3 Others Get N1.8bn Bail by puskin: 10:39am On Sep 15, 2009
Ehen.
What is bullshit about this
Re: Ibru, Adigwe, Ebong, 3 Others Get N1.8bn Bail by Nobody: 11:51am On Sep 15, 2009
Bail? Jeez, even 10 bilion Naira bail wont stop these pple from absconding!! angry angry
Re: Ibru, Adigwe, Ebong, 3 Others Get N1.8bn Bail by dafman10(m): 12:07pm On Sep 15, 2009
my dear these crooks will take off to God knws where
Re: Ibru, Adigwe, Ebong, 3 Others Get N1.8bn Bail by baekdoosan(m): 1:02pm On Sep 15, 2009
Is it 100 million naira bail or 100 million naira bribe?
Re: Ibru, Adigwe, Ebong, 3 Others Get N1.8bn Bail by bukai1: 1:03pm On Sep 15, 2009
Guys, don't you think that the N100 million bill is too much? Why couldn't they pay the amount that is usually charged for bill? Who gets the N1.8bn? Pls does anyone have any answers to these questions.
Re: Ibru, Adigwe, Ebong, 3 Others Get N1.8bn Bail by TheSeeker(m): 1:21pm On Sep 15, 2009
In a country where they are shouting and making empty noises about re-branding they still took 100 million naira bail fee from them, and for what? Who takes the money? What account is it going to? Why can't they pay a more sensible amount for their bail? Why pay as exorbitant an amount as 100 million naira? This is utter crap!
Re: Ibru, Adigwe, Ebong, 3 Others Get N1.8bn Bail by nellaluv(f): 1:29pm On Sep 15, 2009
This is the highest bail, 10.5 billion, i've ever seen. I've seen 100million, 10million, 5million naira bail. I mean who gets the money, is it the govt? the state? or the judges share it among themselves. What about d police and the efcc would they also get their share? I just want to no.
Re: Ibru, Adigwe, Ebong, 3 Others Get N1.8bn Bail by sayso: 1:34pm On Sep 15, 2009
The money will not be paid if they are available for further investigation.
Re: Ibru, Adigwe, Ebong, 3 Others Get N1.8bn Bail by emmydee(m): 1:40pm On Sep 15, 2009
let govt confiscate everything they have looted!
Re: Ibru, Adigwe, Ebong, 3 Others Get N1.8bn Bail by kingzli(m): 1:50pm On Sep 15, 2009
Most of you misunderstand the idea of bail. The amount charged for the bail is equivalent to cutting cloth according to your size. After meeting the bail requirements they wouldn't lose the money if they obey the orders of the court. You really can't expect the court to give them a very low amount because the court looks at your assets first and then asks you to pay an amount which is low enough for the accused to afford but high enough to make the accused think twice before running away. These are for former bank MDs so you really shouldn't have expected less.
Re: Ibru, Adigwe, Ebong, 3 Others Get N1.8bn Bail by dafman10(m): 1:59pm On Sep 15, 2009
Its worrisome that in our country matters of this levity are treated based on political hushed tones.
Re: Ibru, Adigwe, Ebong, 3 Others Get N1.8bn Bail by TheSeeker(m): 2:18pm On Sep 15, 2009
kingzli:

Most of you misunderstand the idea of bail. The amount charged for the bail is equivalent to cutting cloth according to your size. After meeting the bail requirements they wouldn't lose the money if they obey the orders of the court. You really can't expect the court to give them a very low amount because the court looks at your assets first and then asks you to pay an amount which is low enough for the accused to afford but high enough to make the accused think twice before running away. These are for former bank MDs so you really shouldn't have expected less.
And in your opinion they can't sacrifice that money and jump bail? Please!
emmydee:

let govt confiscate everything they have looted!
And if the government does that, what happens? What happened to Tafa Balogun's loots? What happened to the recovered Abacha's loots?
Re: Ibru, Adigwe, Ebong, 3 Others Get N1.8bn Bail by Nobody: 2:20pm On Sep 15, 2009
Isnt justice so cheap in Nigeria angry
in this country, you will get away with anything so far you can afford to by the law.
While someone as reputable and as filthily rich as Bernie Mardoff who scammed $50 Billion couldnt even buy justice down in the US, well its an easier ball game for offenders down here in Nigeria.
Well, we can always fool ourselves and keep hoping things would get better one day.
I am one of the big fools. embarassed
Re: Ibru, Adigwe, Ebong, 3 Others Get N1.8bn Bail by Kobojunkie: 2:30pm On Sep 15, 2009
1.8 Billion Naira ?? shocked shocked That is about $12 million dollars. Where do these people get that much money to play with?
Re: Ibru, Adigwe, Ebong, 3 Others Get N1.8bn Bail by lawrence83: 2:42pm On Sep 15, 2009
Kobojunkie:

1.8 Billion Naira ?? shocked shocked That is about $12 million dollars. Where do these people get that much money to play with?
you de ask me?

direct all your questions to ibru, adigwe, ebong and the three others.
Re: Ibru, Adigwe, Ebong, 3 Others Get N1.8bn Bail by lawrence83: 2:45pm On Sep 15, 2009
like i prophesied, this episode is gradually coming to an end.

after all the saga, this is how its gonna end. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Ibru, Adigwe, Ebong, 3 Others Get N1.8bn Bail by femzy(m): 2:45pm On Sep 15, 2009
grin ;Dpuǝ uɐ oʇ ǝɯoɔ sɐɥ ǝıʌoɯ ǝɥʇ ʎllɐuıɟ
Re: Ibru, Adigwe, Ebong, 3 Others Get N1.8bn Bail by lawrence83: 2:48pm On Sep 15, 2009
aasog:

Isnt justice so cheap in Nigeria angry
in this country, you will get away with anything so far you can afford to by the law.
While someone as reputable and as filthily rich as Bernie Mardoff who scammed $50 Billion couldnt even buy justice down in the US, well its an easier ball game for offenders down here in Nigeria.
Well, we can always fool ourselves and keep hoping things would get better one day.
I am one of the big fools.
including me,myself and I
Re: Ibru, Adigwe, Ebong, 3 Others Get N1.8bn Bail by Nezan(m): 2:49pm On Sep 15, 2009
I dont think money is they problem.
Re: Ibru, Adigwe, Ebong, 3 Others Get N1.8bn Bail by bawomolo(m): 2:50pm On Sep 15, 2009
lawrence83:

like i prophesied, this episode is gradually coming to an end.

after all the saga, this is how its gonna end. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

probably right. the case would die down by the end of the year
Re: Ibru, Adigwe, Ebong, 3 Others Get N1.8bn Bail by kingzli(m): 3:06pm On Sep 15, 2009
Yeah it would probably die down except for Akingbola
Re: Ibru, Adigwe, Ebong, 3 Others Get N1.8bn Bail by akym(m): 3:25pm On Sep 15, 2009
There is nothing u cant buy in this country if only u dont know ur way.
Re: Ibru, Adigwe, Ebong, 3 Others Get N1.8bn Bail by mrperfect(m): 3:40pm On Sep 15, 2009
This is nonsense
Re: Ibru, Adigwe, Ebong, 3 Others Get N1.8bn Bail by saintauch(m): 4:02pm On Sep 15, 2009
I dont get it. Would it hav been better if they were left in detention without been convicted of the crime?!!! Granting them bail doesnt mean they hav been set free, these cases are still in court but the EFCC cant keep detaining these pple. The bail conditions are very reasonable; as in addition to the 100million they still hav to provide sureties in like some. These sureties are well known Nigerians and these pple will be responsilble if the accused jump bail. Abeg, lets forget sentiments and approach issues logically. You cant keep someone in detention for eternity without conviction, if at the end of the day they are found culpable the law will take it course!
Re: Ibru, Adigwe, Ebong, 3 Others Get N1.8bn Bail by axeman85(m): 4:16pm On Sep 15, 2009
In as much as i dont want these people to go free well it is withing their rights to apply for bail and its left for the judge to decide if to grant them bail and in this case they got bail but the amount they were asked ot pay as bail and sureties is chicken change to these guys, because while they were ceo of these bank they have enriched themselves well so bringin out 100million naira is just like bringing out 1million naira . what the judge should aslo do is to seize their international passport so that they wont be able to flee the country, but as well all know Nigeria judicial system, lets wait and watch and see what happens next.
Re: Ibru, Adigwe, Ebong, 3 Others Get N1.8bn Bail by switch47(m): 5:00pm On Sep 15, 2009
The bail is on the High side. period. most comments here[b](save for a few)[/b] are either out of ignorance or lack of something better to say.
Re: Ibru, Adigwe, Ebong, 3 Others Get N1.8bn Bail by SKYQUEST(m): 5:15pm On Sep 15, 2009
the comments i have read so far shows that a lot of nairalanders either allows emotion to becloud thier sense of good judgment. for heaven sake it is only the court of law that can pronounce an individual guilty. this people have been accused and they responded that they are not guity. we have only heard the side of CBN and EFCC. these people have the right to fair hearing and the right to defend themselves. all such comments portraying them as looters and criminals is not necessary until the court say they are guilty. i for one have some problem with cecila ibru but what i have heard so far is hear say as far as i am concerned, let the EFCC and CBN bring out thier evidence and if the court say she and others are guity, let them face the full wrath of the law. but casgating them and dening them freedom so they can't defend themselves is wrong and the court so agree. let us be reasonable and fair in our sense of judgment
Re: Ibru, Adigwe, Ebong, 3 Others Get N1.8bn Bail by Eaglebabe: 6:02pm On Sep 15, 2009
If this is how some of the loans will be recovered let them go ahead.
Re: Ibru, Adigwe, Ebong, 3 Others Get N1.8bn Bail by emmaskyblue(m): 6:40pm On Sep 15, 2009
The bail is another format of sharing d loot. Even CBN has printed another money 4 them to loot and share. Only God can fight for the poor masses.
Re: Ibru, Adigwe, Ebong, 3 Others Get N1.8bn Bail by emmaskyblue(m): 6:42pm On Sep 15, 2009
The bail is another format of sharing d loot. Even CBN has printed another money 4 them to loot and share. Only God can fight for the poor masses.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Weak President: Why No State Of Emergency In Borno State? / Budget 2011: Presidency To Spend N18bn On Fleet Of Planes / Ghanaians Vilify TB Joshua Over Late Pres. Mills

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.