Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,062 members, 7,953,220 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 12:38 PM

4 People That Destroyed Nigerian Education. - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 4 People That Destroyed Nigerian Education. (26939 Views)

How To Improve The Nigerian Education System / History Of Nigerian Education System / S This Grammar From A University Graduate- We Should Weep For Nigerian Education (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 4 People That Destroyed Nigerian Education. by DeRay98(m): 10:12am On Jul 21, 2016
ifyjohnson:

My brother you have said it all. I remember when one lecturer asked me to define international relations, after defining it, he said he wasn't satisfied because he wants me to define it in his own words. I was so angry dat day but I had to define it in his own words for peace to regin
The biggest problem is they don't want you to think outside the box.

You are right. i had always known that Education was meant to develop the mind and university should be the place for advance learning but they "kill" that part of us in the Unis. my cousin who studied the course as i in same Uni at a time when they still had some white lecturers said the the white guys mainly wanted to be sure students comprehended the principles and being able to explain it in their own words was acceptable.
Hence i never really believed in memorizing my lecture notes. I preferred to study to understand the concept and explain it in my own words, moreso as i was studying health care profession course. The lecturers hate not see the words they are familiar with which they gave you in their note. So, scoring an "A" in any course is tied to your ability to "XEROX" their note back to them.
This is what has killed our creative, critical, analytical thinking abilities. I remember in our Secondary school days, If you are in science, for Chemistry you need to read Ababio, Holderness & Lambart etc, Physics; Nelkon, Abbott and later Okeke, to be sure of a good chance of credit in WAEC. I could go on...God Help Nigeria!
Re: 4 People That Destroyed Nigerian Education. by harlayoh(f): 10:19am On Jul 21, 2016
A is for God, B is for my family and I, C is for the intelligent ones amongst you but you see D, E and F are for you Idihots.. I wudnt hesitate to give you if you think you know more you should(knowing fully well that knowledge has no limit o)... hahahaha I laugh gidigaan ni o because most of you are just going to burn your parents money and give them high blood pressure by the time you go home with certificate of attendance... these are exact word of one of my lecturers... imagine curse that students receive everyday from a lecturer talk more about the others... that particular lecturer's class is always 9-11 am.. first thing in the morning is curse o.... what I do @such times is revert it back on his children and pray to God concerning my life... I pity those students that live carefree lives who doesn't find praying mandatory.... that's what we suffer in Nigeria... if you are a lady.. you do be praying to God for reduction in boobs, hips and butt for that period that you are in school.. Hmmmmm... may God continue to save us
Re: 4 People That Destroyed Nigerian Education. by banmee(m): 10:23am On Jul 21, 2016
boss096:
my dear just listen to yourself talk. from your last sentence NIGERIANS ARE NOT NORMAL! I conclude that you aren't educated and thus u aren't normal like u said. so i see no reason arguing with u. I rest ma case.

That fact that you can defend the present Nigerian mindset and way of life only goes to prove my point. The fact that you see how you live as normal confounds the mind.
Re: 4 People That Destroyed Nigerian Education. by Ugosample(m): 10:23am On Jul 21, 2016
banmee:

Sometimes I think you people only read the headlines and not the story. What is true about the nonsense the OP wrote? What influence does a parent have on the educational system except on their ward? Plus, the OP/abdeiz obviously did not get an education because I am trying to figure out how government has transformed into a person. You didn't see that did you? There is only one reason the educational system has failed if you must know. It is being managed by Nigerians. Nigerians are not normal so don't expect anything normal.

Parenra encourage their wards to cheat, and in addition, pay huge fees for expo and special centres. That's it.
Re: 4 People That Destroyed Nigerian Education. by banmee(m): 10:29am On Jul 21, 2016
Ugosample:

Parenra encourage their wards to cheat, and in addition, pay huge fees for expo and special centres. That's it.

How is that any logical point? Everything on that ridiculous list can be summed up to, Nigeria being one of the most corrupt countries in the world. You all don't know how corrupt it is in Nigeria because you are too close to it. If there is a word like phuckeduply corrupt, then that is Nigeria. Did the parents create the special centers? Whose job is it to ensure that backroom deals don't happen in the society? When you create the atmosphere for corruption, you don't go about blaming the people who thrive in it?
Re: 4 People That Destroyed Nigerian Education. by abdeiz(m): 10:55am On Jul 21, 2016
Anyone who didn't school in Nigeria has no right to comment on this post, you have no idea or what it feels like to have your genius and creativity scuttled and hampered by the Nigerian educational system. Many can testify that the first three are very true when the government wouldn't develop the educational system because it favours them that way, the lecturers are mediocre and impede the development of young creative minds they were entrusted with to develop, parents (some as this is subjective)instead of encouraging their wards to read use connection, leg or whatever its called to gain admission for them. When I was in my first year I had this method of doing my calculations which unfortunately was different from what the lecturer taught us though it would still arrive at the same answer, I got an E in that course and when I complained I was told to give back was I was given. So don't be surprised that graduates hardly know a damn thing about what they read as their brains were chiseled to cram an pass exams then forget what they read. I personally can testify to that and I am ashamed.
Now unto what can be done about it, obviously with the lack of quality education received it would seem like a Herculean task but something can be done about it. Most people have different ways of turning things around its now up the the individual him or herself to continue to acquire more knowledge as learning is a lifetime project.
Re: 4 People That Destroyed Nigerian Education. by mamawin(f): 11:47am On Jul 21, 2016
lonelydora:
If what I saw in a government secondary school last week is the way most schools are, then I give up on Nigeria.
please share now

1 Like

Re: 4 People That Destroyed Nigerian Education. by brojoshua: 11:57am On Jul 21, 2016
If Nigerians are ready to take the truth, it is almost all of us in Nigeria that have destroyed the country to the level in which it is and are destroying her still, each one doing it as he or she has opportunity in which places he is and with all he is and has; with his education, wisdom, anointing, power, exposure, influence, privilege, position, and so on. The judges and the one they judge, the leaders and the followers, lecturers and teachers and the students, old and young, men and women, poor and rich, educated and illustrated and so on, all alike are the ones destroying Nigeria, yes almost all of us. And then we don't see ourselves as the ones that are responsible for the ruin of this country but quick to see and point to other people and things as responsible for the woes of Nigeria. And when we do and continue like this that will mean we don't want to believe and face the truth which immediately apply that we don't want change for good for our situation in Nigeria but want to continue in the confusion and corruption and ruins who knows maybe into the end of the world.
But in all this I advise all of us that are wicked and evil in Nigeria in which ever ways and that are contributing to the downfall of Nigeria in any way to repent and turn from their evil ways to the good and right ways that God also may turn from punishing us for our wickedness and that He may remove His curse from us and have mercy on us and bless us and our nation. Thank you.
Re: 4 People That Destroyed Nigerian Education. by Nobody: 11:58am On Jul 21, 2016
Interesting read.
Re: 4 People That Destroyed Nigerian Education. by SaintUlot: 1:48pm On Jul 21, 2016
Make money daily directly into your bank account. Check my signature to get started
Re: 4 People That Destroyed Nigerian Education. by boss096(m): 3:15pm On Jul 21, 2016
banmee:

That fact that you can defend the present Nigerian mindset and way of life only goes to prove my point. The fact that you see how you live as normal confounds the mind.

Re: 4 People That Destroyed Nigerian Education. by armadeo(m): 6:04pm On Jul 21, 2016
banmee:

Sometimes I think you people only read the headlines and not the story. What is true about the nonsense the OP wrote? What influence does a parent have on the educational system except on their ward? Plus, the OP/abdeiz obviously did not get an education because I am trying to figure out how government has transformed into a person. You didn't see that did you? There is only one reason the educational system has failed if you must know. It is being managed by Nigerians. Nigerians are not normal so don't expect anything normal.

Jon snow.

Let me fill you in. Parents go to schools to make trouble on behalf of their wards failing exams. This mostly happens in private schools were the need for money outweighs the need to impart knowledgen the school just keeps pushing the child till he or she leaves.

Secondly parents also go as far as bribing and hiring mercenaries for their kids during external exams. It is known.

The op is so right.
Re: 4 People That Destroyed Nigerian Education. by Codes151(m): 6:17pm On Jul 21, 2016
Wetin u wan make I do? When destroyer 1 and 2 don finish everything!!! grin
Re: 4 People That Destroyed Nigerian Education. by ifyjohnson(f): 6:43pm On Jul 21, 2016
DeRay98:

You are right. i had always known that Education was meant to develop the mind and university should be the place for advance learning but they "kill" that part of us in the Unis. my cousin who studied the course as i in same Uni at a time when they still had some white lecturers said the the white guys mainly wanted to be sure students comprehended the principles and being able to explain it in their own words was acceptable.
Hence i never really believed in memorizing my lecture notes. I preferred to study to understand the concept and explain it in my own words, moreso as i was studying health care profession course. The lecturers hate not see the words they are familiar with which they gave you in their note. So, scoring an "A" in any course is tied to your ability to "XEROX" their note back to them.
This is what has killed our creative, critical, analytical thinking abilities. I remember in our Secondary school days, If you are in science, for Chemistry you need to read Ababio, Holderness & Lambart etc, Physics; Nelkon, Abbott and later Okeke, to be sure of a good chance of credit in WAEC. I could go on...God Help Nigeria!

Well I want to say may God help us, but God has already helped us, he has given us a mind of our own and a brain to think. But what is the essence when dat brain is not functional. When you used outdated notes, must copy and paste because your lecturers want it so. La cram la pour. It will never get better until the system is erased of all forms of backwardness. Dat is why we produce graduate dat can't think. The ability to think and articulate well is what makes one productive. But here it's a different thing altogether. It is well

1 Like

Re: 4 People That Destroyed Nigerian Education. by MIKOLOWISKA: 8:14pm On Jul 21, 2016
justicejay:
Destroyer 1- Government
2- Government
3-Government
4-you
If the government take their part part serious,believe it the lecturers and parent will av little impact in the problem of naija edu. System.
The past govt.has failed to improve our edu. System and d present administration is not helping too.
who is gwament
is it not parents.are lecturers not parents
Re: 4 People That Destroyed Nigerian Education. by MIKOLOWISKA: 8:16pm On Jul 21, 2016
Sveen:
On point. The lecturer thingy is mostly common to faculty of arts, they are bunch of indecent sadists whom are embedded with the 'I know it all' attitude. Correct them in class and you're in soup, they spot you with the finest babe in class you're done for, you answer their exam questions intelligently they'll say you be oversabi and give you D or C, you fail to answer it properly they give you A or B.

The most annoying part is that these scenario takes place in every federal uni in Nigeria, Faculty of Arts lecturer are known for their notoriety and they want to be deified and glorified (Apotheosis). Bunch of superfluous idiots that we can't live without.
must you study arts.
can you not take them to court
nothing good comes easy
Re: 4 People That Destroyed Nigerian Education. by Debbywills(f): 9:24pm On Jul 21, 2016
Freiden:
NUMBER 3: The Parents

*Modified*
I feel so honoured to be the first comment. All of my hard work and dedication has finally paid off. Getting the top comment has been a dream of mine for many years, First and foremost i would like to thank God for giving me this opportunity. Next I would like to thank my parents. I want to thank my friends Antonio(Silvertongue), Seun(Stamina), and my best friend Remmymerlin and also my NL crush, Debbywills, and my lovely bro Leyelanre for being really heavy, strong, and always there for me. I want to thank my friend Wisexool benni, for being really fat and always there for me. I would also like to thank my pet tadpol for surviving against all odds for over a week. Next I would like to thank the squirrel that lives in my backyard for climbing trees because that gives me inspiration that I need to get through the day. This is a special moment in my life and I would like to thank any of my unmentioned friends and family that have helped me along the way. This moment will be a moment that I will never forget. I just remembered a few other people I would like to thank; Facebook , the fish I caught in SS1, the bulb in my room because I wouldn’t be able to see the keyboard without it, the internet for letting me go on Nairaland, my house because without it I would be homeless, and last but not least I would like to thank all the people out there that actually took time out of their day to read this. I cannot stress how much of a big deal to me this is. I have been trying to be the first comment on a post for years, but that has not been possible until this amazing day. Hopefully my good luck will continue, but this is undoubtedly a rare occasion. If you asked how I did this, I would say, you can achieve anything you set your mind on. To all the people out there reading this, I would like to tell them to follow their dreams. Being the top comment is amazing, thank you everyone. Thank you Nairaland. God bless you all.

Sweedie you deserved it. I dey your back like soldier..

My official bestie
Re: 4 People That Destroyed Nigerian Education. by Nobody: 9:53pm On Jul 21, 2016
Debbywills:

Sweedie you deserved it. I dey your back like soldier..

My official bestie

kiss kiss kiss You are a darling
Re: 4 People That Destroyed Nigerian Education. by lonelydora: 10:22pm On Jul 21, 2016
mamawin:
please share now

Dilapidated buildings, no chairs and desks for students, some sitting on a block, some on bare ground, no blackboard, lackadaisical attitude of teachers, etc. I wept immediately i left tthay school.
Re: 4 People That Destroyed Nigerian Education. by mamawin(f): 1:57am On Jul 22, 2016
lonelydora:

Dilapidated buildings, no chairs and desks for students, some sitting on a block, some on bare ground, no blackboard, lackadaisical attitude of teachers, etc. I wept immediately i left tthay school.
Nigeria, what is happening?

1 Like

Re: 4 People That Destroyed Nigerian Education. by lonelydora: 9:23am On Jul 22, 2016
mamawin:
Nigeria, what is happening?

I weep for my country.
Re: 4 People That Destroyed Nigerian Education. by Debbywills(f): 11:30am On Jul 22, 2016
Freiden:

kiss kiss kiss You are a darling

Always! smiley smiley

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Police Storm Poly Ibadan To Punish Students Dressed Indecently / Ada Osakwe Is First African To Give A Speech At Convocation Of Kellogg School / SCIENCE GURUS LODGE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.