Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,170 members, 7,821,971 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:05 PM

Boy, 16, Invents Chain Car, Storms New Yam Fiesta - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Boy, 16, Invents Chain Car, Storms New Yam Fiesta (2266 Views)

Buhari Storms Ogun For ‘operation 40-40’ - / Governor Ambode Dancing Shoki At The One-Lagos-Fiesta / Ambode With Lai Mohammed, D'banj At The Flag Off Of One Lagos Fiesta - Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boy, 16, Invents Chain Car, Storms New Yam Fiesta by SamMilla1(m): 4:35pm On Sep 16, 2009
Since last year, 16-year-old Sunday Nnebedum has been adding colour and glamour to the annual new yam festival celebration of his people in Ezihe Igboukwu, Aguata Local Government Area of Anambra State. Last year, the little lad showcased a prototype house at the festival and this year he built a prototype car, which has now informed his decision to go into car manufacturing in future.

And seriously, Nnebedum is leaving no stone unturned in his bid to achieve this nuturing as he had exhibited the talent of creativity and awaits the brushing up of the talent with education and training.
The young Nnebedum who will enter JSS3 when the schools resume later this month is a student of Christ the King Secondary School, Igboukwu.

Indeed, his prototype automobile was a cynosure of all eyes at the 2009 National Iwa Ji Celebration held at National Yam House, Igboukwu on Saturday, August 29, 2009, as he drove it round the arena.
The pseudo vehicle which he told Daily Sun is a Mercedes Benz is powered manually with bicycle-like chains though it has a steering, brake pedal and electrical components as in a real vehicle.

The young boy, who said he produced a beautiful prototype house at last year’s yam festival, narrated how the idea of building the automobile came to him and how he actualized it.
Building of the motor
According to him, they were taught in school the use of gear and chains and after the lesson, he had a sleepless night thinking of what to make out of that lecture.
“When I came back from school after we were taught of the use of chain and gear, I took a good look at the bicycle in our house, and was imagining how the Oyibo (white) people made it.

“After a long look and study of the bicycle, especially how the chain propels it to move, I decided that I will build a motor (automobile) that will be propelled by chains or if you like call it a ‘bicycle motor’”.
Having taken the decision, Sunday said he immediately started sketching what was going on in his head on a paper and after the drawing, he did a skeleton-sort of the object like the way baskets are made.
“Then, I showed it to my parents and told them what I wanted to do.

They encouraged me and gave me some woods and tapauline and I moved into action to construct the motor. After the wood work, I took it to the welder who built the chain area for me after I had told him what I wanted and how he should do it.
“After that was constructed, that includes the steering, dashboard and doors; I went back to the drawing board and drew the electrical part of it. That is how the wire will run, the positioning of the lights (headlamps, trafficators, brake lights, their switches on the dashboard and even the radio), the music you are listening to is from the motor.

“So, after wiring and placing the lights, I used aluminum paint to paint it and later I sprayed it and that is what you are seeing now; I hope it’s fine?”
Parents’ contributions
Sunday noted that his parents, Mr and Mrs Chukwuma Nnebedum were helpful in his production.
“My parents were very pleased with me and they encouraged me to continue. They gave me the whole money I used in building this, that is over N19, 000.”

Previous work and unfulfilled promise
Last year’s yam festival, if you were here, I am the boy who built house (prototype). That last year, they promised to give me scholarship, but up till now, nobody gave me anything.
This motor, now I took it to the Igwe’s palace the day he held his new yam festival and he promised to give me N50, 000 and said that I should bring it today, August 29, 2009 for the world to see and for him to fulfill the promise, so I am here and waiting.
Ambition
The 16-year-old boy told Daily Sun that his ambition is to acquire good education and to be trained to be able to manufacture automobile.
“I want the government and well meaning people to come to my aid, so that I can get quality education and be well trained as an engineer to bring my vision of building a real car to reality”.

sunnews
Re: Boy, 16, Invents Chain Car, Storms New Yam Fiesta by Afam(m): 4:41pm On Sep 16, 2009
No picture of the chain car?
Re: Boy, 16, Invents Chain Car, Storms New Yam Fiesta by SamMilla1(m): 4:45pm On Sep 16, 2009
sorry about that , i will post it down here

[center][/center]
Re: Boy, 16, Invents Chain Car, Storms New Yam Fiesta by Kobojunkie: 4:48pm On Sep 16, 2009
He built a car, not invented a car.

Nice job!!! Wish more and more of our young folks would put their hands to work on efforts such as this than rushing into crime and kidnapping!!
Re: Boy, 16, Invents Chain Car, Storms New Yam Fiesta by ikeyman00(m): 4:58pm On Sep 16, 2009
^^^^

1st time u make sense this year

thats what 2010 needs
Re: Boy, 16, Invents Chain Car, Storms New Yam Fiesta by asha80(m): 5:07pm On Sep 16, 2009
as usual it will go the way of others before it.
Re: Boy, 16, Invents Chain Car, Storms New Yam Fiesta by banom(m): 5:10pm On Sep 16, 2009
ikeyman00:

^^^^

1st time u make sense this year

thats what 2010 needs

abi, atimes the garl can be irritating,

Igbo people are to much, see how that little 16 year old boy have done some thing that IBB and Wole Soyinka can not do,

Long Live Igbos, The sky is just where we will start,

Ndi oma Ndi oma.

Onye ona ewe ya wewe, onya ona ewe ya tinye isi n'ofia,

Owe gi iwe, Ikpu nne gi.
Re: Boy, 16, Invents Chain Car, Storms New Yam Fiesta by asha80(m): 5:17pm On Sep 16, 2009
Banom don come again.guy e don do.
Re: Boy, 16, Invents Chain Car, Storms New Yam Fiesta by AloyEmeka6: 5:31pm On Sep 16, 2009
How did he power it?. Why the use of chains like CAT instead of tires?. Was he trying to build a bulldozer?
Re: Boy, 16, Invents Chain Car, Storms New Yam Fiesta by Kobojunkie: 5:36pm On Sep 16, 2009
banom:

Igbo people are to much, see how that little 16 year old boy have done some thing that IBB and Wole Soyinka can not do,

Ndi oma Ndi oma.

Owe gi iwe, [b]Ikpu nne gi
.[/b]

I wait for the day people like you will be put where you belong. Is this thread really about Ibos or about a boy who spent his time well while his mates are busy kidnapping and committing crimes willy nilly?
Re: Boy, 16, Invents Chain Car, Storms New Yam Fiesta by asha80(m): 5:45pm On Sep 16, 2009
The kid better see how he can leave naija to a place where his talent or skill will be more appreciated.
Re: Boy, 16, Invents Chain Car, Storms New Yam Fiesta by Beaf: 5:48pm On Sep 16, 2009
^Word
Re: Boy, 16, Invents Chain Car, Storms New Yam Fiesta by back2back(f): 5:55pm On Sep 16, 2009
picture, please.
Re: Boy, 16, Invents Chain Car, Storms New Yam Fiesta by Gamine(f): 6:59pm On Sep 16, 2009
This is heartwarming.
Re: Boy, 16, Invents Chain Car, Storms New Yam Fiesta by Gekko(m): 7:18pm On Sep 16, 2009
asha 80:

The kid better see how he can leave naija to a place where his talent or skill will be more appreciated.

I remember this kid that built a battery operated toy car when we were young in this small town in Osun state. He used the oscillator from a fan to flip the wheels. He didn't even have a formal education and i doubt he even physically saw a toy car before. I cant even imagine the number of wasted talents in Nigeria
Re: Boy, 16, Invents Chain Car, Storms New Yam Fiesta by Nobody: 7:47pm On Sep 16, 2009
Who gives a damn if he builds a flying train in nigeria!

By the time he realizes how pathetic the government and jobless Igwe he's waiting for are, he will immediately realize that he has wasted his entire lifetime and talent for no just cause. I could only wish he realizes the former while he's still young. undecided
Re: Boy, 16, Invents Chain Car, Storms New Yam Fiesta by banom(m): 7:48pm On Sep 16, 2009
Kobojunkie:

I wait for the day people like you will be put where you belong. Is this thread really about Ibos or about a boy who spent his time well while his mates are busy kidnapping and committing crimes willy nilly?

That will be the same day you will come in your right mind and start surpporting positive things,all you do here is support evil and always criticizing positive things,

when a con man fleece poor desperate people, that is ok by you, if a young igbo guy invents some thing reasonable, then some thing is wrong,
I hate you for your biased crooked mind and lack of pity on poor people in our society.
Re: Boy, 16, Invents Chain Car, Storms New Yam Fiesta by Kobojunkie: 7:49pm On Sep 16, 2009
Roflmao!!!!   grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy This one things I am his problem grin grin cheesy grin cheesy grin

Wonderful to see how much power I command over the lives of others on here!!
Re: Boy, 16, Invents Chain Car, Storms New Yam Fiesta by Onlytruth(m): 8:29pm On Sep 16, 2009
Poor lad! His dream will go like those of others before him. In Nigeria, he has to beat the almighty QUOTA SYSTEM to make his dream a reality.
While I was exactly at the same JSS3, I drew up and was determined to build a helicopter. I had only finished my first level Physics but I was puzzled by how a helicopter hung on one spot and spun around in the air. I couldn't sleep for days figuring out how a helicopter does that! My dream died once I realized I couldn't even access a good physics science lab.

Those types of inventions only happened in one African country -BIAFRA!
Re: Boy, 16, Invents Chain Car, Storms New Yam Fiesta by Onlytruth(m): 8:32pm On Sep 16, 2009
banom:

Ndi oma Ndi oma.

Owe gi iwe, Ikpu nne gi.

grin cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Boy, 16, Invents Chain Car, Storms New Yam Fiesta by sjeezy8: 9:30pm On Sep 16, 2009
congrats to the young guy

But leaving Nigeria as many of you said is the wrong Idea, the time will come when great minds are appreciated and Nigeria will start manufacturing cars, creating new jobs for others. I simply dont know how SOME people reason, I guess its that stupid mentality to leave and prosper individually while leaving his homeland. undecided

We should wish him to be the owner of the first Nigerian company in to manufacture GOOD cars in ALL of Africa. Not to leave and work for the interest of foreigners.

SMH
Re: Boy, 16, Invents Chain Car, Storms New Yam Fiesta by Basildon1(m): 9:42pm On Sep 16, 2009
The government should take note on this boy and nurture him, if that's not too much
Re: Boy, 16, Invents Chain Car, Storms New Yam Fiesta by asha80(m): 9:50pm On Sep 16, 2009
sjeezy8:

congrats to the young guy

But leaving Nigeria as many of you said is the wrong Idea, the time will come when great minds are appreciated and Nigeria will start manufacturing cars, creating new jobs for others. I simply dont know how SOME people reason, I guess its that stupid mentality to leave and prosper individually while leaving his homeland. undecided

We should wish him to be the owner of the first Nigerian company in to manufacture GOOD cars in ALL of Africa. Not to leave and work for the interest of foreigners.

SMH

As if wishing him is enough.My man if wishes were enough we would have probably have thousands of people owning MADE IN NIGERIA style products by now.I cannot count the no of people while growing up that were wizards of some sort in their own thing.

I stand by my former assertion that he should leave the country to a place were he will be appreciated not remaining here where he will be derided and made fun of.
Re: Boy, 16, Invents Chain Car, Storms New Yam Fiesta by Kobojunkie: 9:55pm On Sep 16, 2009
asha 80:

As if wishing him is enough.My man if wishes were enough we would have probably have thousands of people owning MADE IN NIGERIA style products by now.I cannot count the no of people while growing up that were wizards of some sort in their own thing.

I stand by my former assertion that he should leave the country to a place were he will be appreciated not remaining here where he will be derided and made fun of.

Where he is going, will he not experience rejection as well?
Re: Boy, 16, Invents Chain Car, Storms New Yam Fiesta by asha80(m): 9:57pm On Sep 16, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Where he is going, will he not experience rejection as well?

asha 80:

Re: Boy, 16, Invents Chain Car, Storms New Yam Fiesta by sjeezy8: 10:13pm On Sep 16, 2009
asha 80:

look at Fashola, Abiola,Fela or Soyinka they are not people that left for individual reasons, they made a name for themselves and put Nigeria on the MAP as well. regardless of tribe
Re: Boy, 16, Invents Chain Car, Storms New Yam Fiesta by asha80(m): 10:18pm On Sep 16, 2009
sjeezy8:

look at Fashola, Abiola,Fela or Soyinka they are not people that left for individual reasons, they made a name for themselves and put Nigeria on the MAP as well. regardless of tribe

Nobody is talking tribe here.

Fashola is a governor that is doing well likewise Bisi Onabanjo,Lateef Jakande,Sam Mbakwe did before him so it is nothing new.

Fela is a musician.Do not tell me he would have remained in uk to be singing his brand of music only for them and ignore nigerians.Moreover there are also great nigerian musicians of past and present that are based in nigeria so Fela's case is nothing new.

Soyinka is a literary genius same as Elechi Amadi and Cyprian Ekwensi(before he died) were all living in nigeria so his case is also not knew.

What i am talking about is scientific and engineering prowess.
Re: Boy, 16, Invents Chain Car, Storms New Yam Fiesta by sjeezy8: 10:21pm On Sep 16, 2009
asha 80:

Nobody is talking tribe here.

that means that they represented Nigeria regardless of tribe. What they did was in the interest of ALL Nigerians.
Re: Boy, 16, Invents Chain Car, Storms New Yam Fiesta by platinumnk(f): 10:23pm On Sep 16, 2009
banom:

Ndi oma Ndi oma.

Owe gi iwe, Ikpu nne gi.

dalu grin grin grin
Re: Boy, 16, Invents Chain Car, Storms New Yam Fiesta by asha80(m): 10:28pm On Sep 16, 2009
Fashola is a governor that is doing well likewise Bisi Onabanjo,Lateef Jakande,Sam Mbakwe did before him so it is nothing new.

Fela is a musician.Do not tell me he would have remained in uk to be singing his brand of music only for them and ignore nigerians.Moreover there are also great nigerian musicians of past and present that are based in nigeria so Fela's case is nothing new.

Soyinka is a literary genius same as Elechi Amadi and Cyprian Ekwensi(before he died) were all living in nigeria so his case is also not knew.

Re: Boy, 16, Invents Chain Car, Storms New Yam Fiesta by sjeezy8: 10:44pm On Sep 16, 2009
asha 80:

no need to dull any of them down. These people are not only admired by Nigerians but also world wide.
it maybe nothing new but the first of their type to PUT NIGERIA ON THE MAP WORLDWIDE.

you're missing the point
Theres no difference between being known for activisim or being known for engineering.
another Nigerian man made a car somewhere but is now in south africa NO ONE KNOWS HIM except for those in his tribe by name only.
Re: Boy, 16, Invents Chain Car, Storms New Yam Fiesta by asha80(m): 10:49pm On Sep 16, 2009
sjeezy8:

no need to dull any of them down. These people are not only admired by Nigerians but also world wide.
it maybe nothing new but the first of their type to PUT NIGERIA ON THE MAP WORLDWIDE.

you're missing the point
Theres no difference between being known for activisim or being known for engineering.
another Nigerian man made a car somewhere but is now in south africa NO ONE KNOWS HIM except for those in his tribe by name only.

Do you know how nigerians look down on 'made in nigeria'?
So what is the point apart from a nigerian owned or made in nigeria scientific or engineering or technology outfit.

Most of the shoes and even scandals people wear in nigeria that are written 'made in italy' do you know i can take you where they make them?Do you know why they are labelled 'made in italy or whatever'. . . . Our mentalility.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

He Scams Over $70, 000 And Ends Up In Prison / Charcoal Exporters Be Warned. / How The Bigwigs Describe Jonathan's Presidency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.