Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,524 members, 7,819,886 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:03 AM

Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) (49244 Views)

6 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos / Oworo Land: Where The Tongue Includes Igbo, Yoruba Words And Chief Bears Nupe / Some Endangered Yoruba Words (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by flexysam(m): 10:17am On Jul 26, 2016
omo Yoruba ni. mi oo! I rep Yoruba til anoda world.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by sinkhole: 10:19am On Jul 26, 2016
Landmark225:
Boss, I'm a Yoruba guy. I'm just stating facts. Gbedu is pidgin. Song in Yoruba is orin
we may actually learn here!
There are things in Yoruba that have multiple words to describe them, yes "Orin" = song, but it could also be "gbedu"

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by laurel03(m): 10:21am On Jul 26, 2016
Hemanwel:
Like when Wizkid,25,respected Linda Ikeji,35,right?Why always speaking with both sides of your mouth?Your hypocrisy in Yoruba land stinks to high heavens!
Linda ur sister past her boundary...#smellingpool

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by Nobody: 10:27am On Jul 26, 2016
BS

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by Nobody: 10:29am On Jul 26, 2016
Igbos know it as oyibo not oyinbo

Wahala is an hausa word

Ponmo in yoruba, kpomo in igbo.

Baba is also used by hausa

Una call am olodo I call am iti.

Gbedu na pidgin not yoruba.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by KangaIye: 10:31am On Jul 26, 2016
Yes O smiley
Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by Spells(m): 10:32am On Jul 26, 2016
The best way to to say wat I want to now is in my mind, b4 some yeye mind capture it.. ..
Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by alade112(m): 10:33am On Jul 26, 2016
Landmark225:

There is no need to argue and claim things, I'm well versed in Yoruba more than anyone here because aside from being Yoruba, I studied Yoruba in the University and graduated with First class honours.

There is no other word for song in Yoruba.

All we have is Orin.

Gbedu is a pidgin word - which many people (including you) think its yoruba because it sounds Yoruba.

I'm not like you Yorubas on nairaland that are supremacists.

What is ours is ours

What is not ours, is not ours.

Thanks

Gbedu literally means "big drum" and is a percussion instrument traditionally used in ceremonial Yoruba music in Nigeria and Benin. More recently, the word has come to be used to describe forms of Nigerian Afrobeat and Hip Hop music? Stop arguing what you don't know? Pidgin word ko dove word ni

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by Tex42(m): 10:35am On Jul 26, 2016
U're on point @OP...and oh! Add this word "LOBATAN" to the list, seems to be the most used cliche/slang in ma area here in Awka.

Someone tell me the meaning pls...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by sinkhole: 10:36am On Jul 26, 2016
Landmark225:

There is no need to argue and claim things, I'm well versed in Yoruba more than anyone here because aside from being Yoruba, I studied Yoruba in the University and graduated with First class honours.

All we have is Orin.

Gbedu is a pidgin word - which many people (including you) think its yoruba because it sounds Yoruba.

What is ours is ours

Thanks
Mr. First Class, nobody is trying to be "supremacist" we are only trying to talk, after all many of us Yoruba's here also pointed out some words such as "wahala" which is not Yoruba but wrongly labelled as of Yoruba!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by Nobody: 10:36am On Jul 26, 2016
alade112:

Gbedu literally means "big drum" and is a percussion instrument traditionally used in ceremonial Yoruba music in Nigeria and Benin. More recently, the word has come to be used to describe forms of Nigerian Afrobeat and Hip Hop music? Stop arguing what you don't know? Pidgin word ko dove word ni

Okay brother, I'm not arguing.

If you say so. Gbedu is Yoruba please

It wont change anything, neither will it give me the American visa
I am looking for.

God bless you sir
Bye

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by sinkhole: 10:39am On Jul 26, 2016
Tex42:
U're on point @OP...and oh! Add this word "LOBATAN" to the list, seems to be the most used cliche/slang in ma area here in Awka.

Someone tell me the meaning pls...
"lobatan" = it is finished OR that is the end
you can also say "opari" instead of "lobatan"

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by alade112(m): 10:42am On Jul 26, 2016
Landmark225:

It wont change anything, neither will it give me the American visa I am looking for.
God bless you sir Bye
No be fight o! We are just trying to set things straight

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by vickoozy(m): 10:44am On Jul 26, 2016
what is the meaning of ashewo undecided

in other news......

I attended a crusade and someone touched my shoulder & said *"YOU WILL WALK!"* I didn't bother to turn because I'm not *disabled.*

*Later, I couldn't find my transport money*

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by Tex42(m): 10:46am On Jul 26, 2016
sinkhole:
"lobatan" = it is finished OR that is the end
you can also say "opari" instead of "lobatan"

Oh, thanks!

JENIFA be disturbing guys with that word in her series.

Thank u once again.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by wellmax(m): 10:48am On Jul 26, 2016
Landmark225:
Boss, I'm a Yoruba guy. I'm just stating facts. Gbedu is pidgin. Song in Yoruba is orin

Bros, go online please, see wikipedia, (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gbedu) okay?
Iamglad yousteeped down on Ajebo, by the way I doubt your claim to be Yoruba. Because you speak or undertsand Yoruba doesn't make you one.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by Nobody: 10:51am On Jul 26, 2016
Lol

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by wellmax(m): 10:51am On Jul 26, 2016
Deatheater:
Igbos know it as oyibo not oyinbo

Wahala is an hausa word

Ponmo in yoruba, kpomo in igbo.

Baba is also used by hausa

Una call am olodo I call am iti.

Gbedu na pidgin not yoruba.

Gbedu is Yoruba. Not pidgin. Go online and be Educated

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by aljharem(m): 10:51am On Jul 26, 2016
Landmark225:

All we have is Orin.

What is ours is ours

Thanks

Oga ade, don't be ignorant here Gbedu is actually a name of a drum

Also pidgin language was invented by ceorles and they got it from yoruba language

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by jayF19: 10:52am On Jul 26, 2016
Landmark225:

All we have is Orin.

What is ours is ours

Thanks
Gbedu is a drum Proffessor platypus, Ajebutter- We eat butter

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by brightnelly(f): 10:55am On Jul 26, 2016
Tahhhhh

Ifahia say KEKE Na Yoruba word/phrase sad
Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by Adagba01: 10:56am On Jul 26, 2016
This writer is half-truthful cos many words here were copied from Hausa language. In everyday activities, Yorubas can't stop using many phases derived from Hausa language...ALUBARIKA, SERIKI, etc.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by SaffronSpice: 10:57am On Jul 26, 2016
Landmark225:

It wont change anything, neither will it give me the American visa
I am looking for.

God bless you sir
Bye
It woun't change anything,but don't go about trying to distort a fact.
Since you claim to have a First Class in Yoruba,you should have at least a basic knowledge of the musical instruments used by the people.
When the late Orlando Owoh sang "Aiku egiri laye ko se ni je fi awo e se gbedu"(I hope I didnt eff up the line) he was speaking Pidgin right?LOL.
I pray you get your visa soon,bro.
You really need itwink.

14 Likes

Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by Nobody: 10:58am On Jul 26, 2016
wellmax:

Gbedu is Yoruba. Not pidgin. Go online and be Educated
Won't argue.
Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by Nobody: 10:58am On Jul 26, 2016
Landmark225:

All we have is Orin.

What is ours is ours

Thanks
oga return ur cert,you are well versed in lies.am even disappointed you studied YORUBA? U want to tell me you don't know there is a drum in yorubaland called gbedu? And when people say gbedu,it is actually referring to the instrumental of the song.you should cover ur eyes with a gbedu drum.orin is song,gbedu is referring to the instrumental. Nigerians just decided to generalize both

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by Hemanwel(m): 10:58am On Jul 26, 2016
wizzakosh:
fool, did ur yeye linda respect herself. She got what she bargain for. So shut that ur stinking mouth. Nxt time she will not pokenose in another person's affair.
Then,he should have stated that in Yorubaland,respect for elders is on conditions.Or that Yorubas don't give respect to elders from other tribe..I wouldn't have bothered exposing your double standards..

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by Nobody: 10:59am On Jul 26, 2016
Landmark225:

All we have is Orin.

What is ours is ours

Thanks
oga return ur cert,you are well versed in lies.am even disappointed you studied YORUBA? U want to tell me you don't know there is a drum in yorubaland called gbedu? And when people say gbedu,it is actually referring to the instrumental of the song.you should cover ur eyes with a gbedu drum.orin is song,gbedu is referring to the instrumental. Nigerians just decided to generalize both

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by zicoy6k: 11:02am On Jul 26, 2016
Landmark225:

All we have is Orin.

What is ours is ours

Thanks
Forget about your first class and listen. You are right concerning the fact that gbedu does not mean song but gbedu is a yoruba word meaning a kind of drum beat (or beat). The fact that you have a first class in Yoruba language does not mean you know the language more than our grannies. Some 15 year old kids who grew up in the village will school you when it comes to yoruba words and expression. Peace.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by SaffronSpice: 11:02am On Jul 26, 2016
Adagba01:
This writer is half-truthful cos many words here were copied from Hausa language. In everyday activities, Yorubas can't stop using many phases derived from Hausa language...ALUBARIKA, SERIKI, etc.
Most of the Hausa words used are those influenced by Arabic.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by Hemanwel(m): 11:05am On Jul 26, 2016
laurel03:
Linda ur sister past her boundary...#smellingpool
And this is coming from a crusader of "..respect for elders.." and "one Nigeria".You can not hide it no more; not surprised.
Re: Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) by haffaze777(m): 11:08am On Jul 26, 2016
Adagba01:

Sorry alubarika isn't Hausa language bro,both Hausa and yoruba borrow it from Arabic

5 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Before You Marry A Fulani Lady: 3 Important Things To Know / “I Don’t Give My Instagram To Black People" - White Model To Black Photographer / Emir Sanusi Buys Rolls Royce Phantom (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.