Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,305 members, 7,811,901 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:54 PM

I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed (33732 Views)

Al-hikmah University Lecturer Orders 300 Level Law Students To Kneel Down / Grades For Sex: Nekede Polytechnic Student Begs Lecturer For Help / 7 Reasons Students Graduate With Poor Grades In The University. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by Nobody: 2:55pm On Jul 26, 2016
Stark22:
I don't know where to begin but post this with a sad heart.
Before I started my course, I had this feeling that I wasn't meant to be in that department. I was encouraged by friends and family members to continue that I'll have interest later on. My results kept on getting bad but instead of it motivating me to work harder, it changed me entirely and I am doubting myself cos I know how good I was compared to what I keep seeing on my results.

Does fate really prevent progress or what?

300 level sitting on 1.1 something and I don't expect it to improve cos I think my mindset is really affecting it; meaning no matter the amount of reading I do, it won't really work.

I thought a lot of guys and they're doing pretty well, don't know what's wrong.

it's appalling when people who look up to you are doing better than you.

What if I switched departments back then? I believe things wouldn't have gotten to this stage.

I just need counselling from you guys.

it's really serious and I'm sad.

Even people who used me to brag back then would be shocked to find out about my current situation.

Oga face the fact, your intelligent but not brilliant. Not everyone is brilliant. My dad was a First Class Product, he expected all his kids to attain same, but we all gat Second class lower except ma younger brow who is yet to finish, but he has 2,1 prospect. I spent 7yrs Uni Partly due to Strike and Switching of department but u wasnt dettered. Its not too late to change your departmemt and school if nexessary, because for this life na only u waka come. Failure or success, its only you that will carry your burden. See your parents, explain your predicaments to them, but i will advice you to discover yourself first of all, the sort of course you will like to read.
Meanwhile am a graduate of estate management and valuation, but i dont reay like the course i read, i prefer, psychology, Law or Pol Sci. So am gona have to definitely read one of those in The Nearest future..
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by nairaschool01(m): 2:58pm On Jul 26, 2016
guy hw he tak happen na u tak all your course over for your 100l and 200l
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by DateMynd44(m): 3:05pm On Jul 26, 2016
waynejesus:
Start farming God will bless grin
seconded

1 Like

Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by jeffdaniel(m): 3:05pm On Jul 26, 2016
My friend, i will advise you to finish this program you're studying for now and strife, so that you can come out with at least a third class, cos as it is you can not make a 2.2.

You didn't tell us the course you are studying, but whatever it is i believe you can still make yourself fall in love with it. Like most people have said, coming out with a third class is not a crime, what you can do out there once you finish is what matters. And also there are online courses and certificate programs to enhance yourself after your first degree.

I made a research and i discovered that people that finished with a third class are not doing bad, after all. Most of the guys that finished with 3rd class during my time , years ago are doing very well now. They were even more prepared to face the world more than those of us that came out with better results.

The funny thing is most of us would end up doing something else, contrary to what we read in school. There are a lot of guys that graduated as a lawyers, engineers, accountants etc that are not practicing what they studied but are doing very well in different areas.

I will advise you to take it easy, make yourself happy, weigh your options, if you believe you can start afresh, go for it and if not honestly what you need is not only good grades to survive in the market world. The most important thing is you've gone through the four walls of schools.

1 Like

Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by DateMynd44(m): 3:07pm On Jul 26, 2016
shamecurls:
#BitterTruth

Drop-out and restart! #Simple #FeelYourPain EarlierThanNever# #NotHowFarButHowWell

Excelboi:
School is not for everyone harsh but true. If you still have the zeal to study, I will advise you withdraw from your current school, write another jamb and apply a course you have interest in. Dont let anyone influence you on your choice of course, not even your parent. All the best
had 1.5 in my final year bro i couldn't even defend my project cos i cant summon up courage to tell family and friends that i graduated with a pass.
I dropped out, rewrote jamb and choosed a course i had PASSION FOR and trust me my story'll never be the same again cos ONCE BEATEN, TWICE SHY. I'll now learn from my previous mistakes
Sirmuel1:
If you're not over 28, please start all over!

Your result and the course might discourage you for life.
i didnt even allow my age to deter me from pursuin my dreams though people really tried to wear me down.
I'm 25

1 Like

Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by shamecurls(m): 3:14pm On Jul 26, 2016
FuckMynd44:

had 1.5 in my final year bro i couldn't even defend my project cos i cant summon up courage to tell family and friends that i graduated with a pass.
I dropped out, rewrote jamb and choosed a course i had PASSION FOR and trust me my story'll never be the same again cos ONCE BEATEN, TWICE SHY. I'll now learnt from my previous mistakes

That`s the spirit am talking about.
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by lobiologs(m): 3:14pm On Jul 26, 2016
Before you decide to take another jamb/utme. First look at what you did wrong

If it was a case of getting un serious because of over confidence or just plain un seriousness you have to work on that.

Lastly it could just be the course...
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by friendlyadvice: 3:15pm On Jul 26, 2016
Stark22:

cheesy lol guy no start afresh o, u no happy say u dey sch do u knw hw crazy it is to get admitted into sch these days? Hmmm pipu will kill or die to be in your shoes right now.
I understand your predicament but man sit up forget abt hating the course forget abt pressure from home:

- Pray like craze person trust your problems to God not only will he help but it will boost your confidence knowing someone that mighty gat your back
- guy read even if it will take all day no close that book until e enter ya head, you are almost thru with sch so time don pass to dey "take break if e no enter" stay der crack your head and force it inside
- attend every and any tutorials on campus you'll be surprised what tutorials can do for your life
- ask those guys you teach to tell you how they answer their questions in tests and exams who knows you may be giving weak answers or writing off point
- project time, take your time to study your lecturers and their discipline and pick a topic under the easiest and kindest lecturer in your department I know of people who have skyrocketted from 2'2 to 2'1 because of their projects
- guy you may have to give yourself an extra year, I know its demoralizing but if you focus you go meet your goal life no be race, you no go know where you go meet your mates tomorrow it pays to spend 10 years in sch and graduate with a 2'2 than to spend 4 years and graduate with a 3rd class or pass

I wish you best of luck my guy cheer up life no hard like that

2 Likes

Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by hisawesomeness(m): 3:20pm On Jul 26, 2016
Grades are way too low u need to cut it ✂ cut it! cut it! cut it! cut it! cut it!
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by businesscitadel(m): 3:21pm On Jul 26, 2016
Too much emphasis on University degree certificate! angry angry Oga your brain can not process all those theories they are packing for you in your University. Go and register in a Vocational school/Technical college and learn a handwork vocational skill . University is not for everybody. You will be amazed at how successful you will turn out with your skill.
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by davolas(m): 3:23pm On Jul 26, 2016
my brother is as simply as this, 1.1 am not sure u can end on a 3rd class talk less of a 2.2 but if u can try to make 3rd u can still do a pgd for an upgrade of result but as for pass my brother if Ya sch still awards that it's just as if u didn't attend sch, but my advice it's not based on grade, were I worked we Av graduate with 3rd class doing extremely gr8 only we Wey knw say Na Watin dem carry bdat we with 2.2 self dey shame but it all depends on Ya ability, if u can start again d better but if u must continue try at least to make a 3rd class to still Av a chance but anything apart from that God will lead u. stay brave

1 Like

Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by lakeside3020(m): 3:32pm On Jul 26, 2016
is never too late, to me u have 3 semester left? just have 5.0 in all your remaining semester u can still make 2class lower. u can do it ,be focus and be determined like kanu nwakwo

1 Like

Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by horlumiday(m): 3:39pm On Jul 26, 2016
Turn to God and seek Him diligently.. He knows your Heart, he cant be deceived.. Start reading your Bible and keep His commandments...Keep your Faith... Be hopeful... So if you pray n nothing happens.. search your self, there's prolly a sin you are still holding on to.... and read o, then leave the rest to Him..... You dont have to retake jamb.. you have someone up there willing to help if you ask.. and if you wanna retake jamb... Go ahead.. But put God first...
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by Stark22: 3:40pm On Jul 26, 2016
Thisnut:
start all over again. Contact me when you get the admission, I'll pay your first year tuition , but must be directly to the school and not through you

Choose a more easier discipline to study, it most not be the one with high talking point
Kind gesture sir, I appreciate.

1 Like

Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by eph12(m): 3:44pm On Jul 26, 2016
timilehing:
Start afresh kwa undecided Abegi Op, endure & make sure you graduate this once. Those who ve 1st class self are looking for job. Start a biz or register as an apprentice at a workshop or any skill u desire
Some started afresh and they are doing OK now. Not everybody will be an entrepreneur. He can also learn a skill but if you advise him to continue and finish with a 3rd class, I can assure you that he is wasting his time and money.
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by Nobody: 3:44pm On Jul 26, 2016
Senai:
Brother...lemme tell you my story, I also had great expectations as I was one of the best during my predegree days. I was also given my dream course; Biochemistry. I knew already that anything short of 4:30 as my CGPA at the end of four years meant failure, that was how good I knew I was...but alas! when first semester result came out, my GP was 3.30, with my best course...Bio 101 as a carryover! That was impossible... I cried and was ashamed to even tell people my result...that killed me, and I was never the same, though the Bio 101 was rectified and I had 86, but the damage had be done already. I graduated eventually with a GP of 3.40...I have never stopped regretting...cos I know I am far better. I am working now though, but I always wish I could go back and correct things. My advise, start again...but tell your family first, don't make the mistake of trying to go through it alone, you need them more than ever, a predegree program would be better, as you are already a student and should know some people already who are aware of your story...and brother, pls...don't let low self esteem set in, it killed me...don't let it murder you too. Peace.
funaab Sir?

1 Like

Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by Badtguyy(m): 3:44pm On Jul 26, 2016
Sorry bro, I feel your pain, would have wanted to be part of the first to comment, since am not, My answer is simple. There is [b]nothing like u not having interest in [/b]whatever u are doing, U need to surround yourself with people that would motivate u. Bro u can start afresh and dedicate time for your studies, U would be surprised how intelligent u are. Goodluck bro in the decisions u make. Talk to your mum first if u wanna break the bad news, She sure knows how to handle her husband.

1 Like

Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by eph12(m): 3:44pm On Jul 26, 2016
horlumiday:
Turn to God and seek Him diligently.. He knows your Heart, he cant be deceived.. Start reading your Bible and keep His commandments...Keep your Faith... Be hopeful... So if you pray n nothing happens.. search your self, there's prolly a sin you are still holding on to.... and read o, then leave the rest to Him..... You dont have to retake jamb.. you have someone up there willing to help if you ask.. and if you wanna retake jamb... Go ahead.. But put God first...
Smh
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by Alfred234(m): 3:45pm On Jul 26, 2016
Start what all over? na so e easy? As long as you can graduate just try hard to make a 3rd class before graduation.
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by Sirmuel1(m): 3:46pm On Jul 26, 2016
FuckMynd44:

I dropped out, rewrote jamb and choosed a course i had PASSION FOR and trust me my story'll never be the same again cos ONCE BEATEN, TWICE SHY. I'll now learn from my previous mistakes

i didnt even allow my age to deter me from pursuin my dreams though people really tried to wear me down.
I'm 25

Cool advice.

I like your moniker cheesy
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by Nobody: 3:46pm On Jul 26, 2016
eph12:
I will advice you start afresh. Write ume again and start from 100l. Make sure it's a course that really interests you. If you can't start afresh then I suggest you learn a skill. Something that can fetch you money after school in case the job is not forth coming. It's bad enough for 1st, 2nd class holders not to talk of a 3rd class.
bro pls go for a course u can handle and you like................i am actually talking from experience.............my 2cent....i will soon write my story.
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by davolas(m): 3:54pm On Jul 26, 2016
Alfred234:
Start what all over? na so e easy? As long as you can graduate just try hard to make a 3rd class before graduation.

I tire for the adviser o, like say d admission easy make ehn just make up if ehn go still even fit make d 3rd class.only God can help,nd he will surely help u
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by InfinixMine: 3:56pm On Jul 26, 2016
Stark22:
Before I started my course, I had this feeling that I wasn't meant to be in that department. I was encouraged by friends and family members to continue that I'll have interest later on. My results kept on getting bad but instead of it motivating me to work harder, it changed me entirely and I am doubting myself cos I know how good I was compared to what I keep seeing on my results.

300 level sitting on 1.1 something and I don't expect it to improve cos I think my mindset is really affecting it; meaning no matter the amount of reading I do, it won't really work.

What if I switched departments back then? I believe things wouldn't have gotten to this stage.

Even people who used me to brag back then would be shocked to find out about my current situation.

Have you watched 3 idiots? Aal izz wel

1 Like

Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by gdguy: 3:56pm On Jul 26, 2016
Friend, what you need is God intervention. Most of the time, the grade level you come out of school with is not determined by ability but by forces outside our control. Just as the saying goes, the race or battle of life is not for the fastest or the strongest. You need to know and recognise the irrefutable fact the moment you become a student of higher learning that, ability alone cannot take you far, because there will be lots of unseen forces to contend with; however, the severity of this experience varies from student to student depending on parental backgrounds. I am telling you all this based on my own personal experience while in the University. I was undoubtedly a first class student who would start reading from the first day school resumed till the end of the semester. I was admitted on merit to read a course I desired. And I was determined to make the best grade. My friend, I came out with 2:2 despite all my efforts. I failed in my bid to secure the grade I worked for because I neglected "God factor". I believed I could do it by myself and I was wrong!

Draw closer to God. Become genuinely involved with Him and His works. Let Matthew 6:33 becomes your motto and strives to live righteously. The devil will flee and your grade is sure to soar. Nothing is impossible with God. Also very important is your level of interest. Develop interest in your course and strive to improve you grade by conscious efforts backed by God. All the best.
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by Stark22: 3:58pm On Jul 26, 2016
Justdulla:

Oga face the fact, your intelligent but not brilliant. Not everyone is brilliant. My dad was a First Class Product, he expected all his kids to attain same, but we all gat Second class lower except ma younger brow who is yet to finish, but he has 2,1 prospect. I spent 7yrs Uni Partly due to Strike and Switching of department but u wasnt dettered. Its not too late to change your departmemt and school if nexessary, because for this life na only u waka come. Failure or success, its only you that will carry your burden. See your parents, explain your predicaments to them, but i will advice you to discover yourself first of all, the sort of course you will like to read.
Meanwhile am a graduate of estate management and valuation, but i dont reay like the course i read, i prefer, psychology, Law or Pol Sci. So am gona have to definitely read one of those in The Nearest future..

Well, Dad has never really asked because he believes it's still that boy that always excelled back then. So telling him will be a shocker. Everyone around seems to assume I'm one Smart lad that's perfect and I should be excellent no matter where I am.

Even friends will be telling you you're meant to be doing another cos like computer science.

Like you said, it's my cross.
I appreciate
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by Babysho(m): 4:01pm On Jul 26, 2016
Stark22:

Feels Like You're Talking About Accouting...
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by Originalsly: 4:02pm On Jul 26, 2016
eph12:
I will advice you start afresh. Write ume again and start from 100l. Make sure it's a course that really interests you. If you can't start afresh then I suggest you learn a skill. Something that can fetch you money after school in case the job is not forth coming. It's bad enough for 1st, 2nd class holders not to talk of a 3rd class.
Haven't read all..... but the advice eph12 has given you is right on point. If you are going down the wrong road.... would you prefer continue and hope you somehow reach your destination?.... or go back to point A and restart your journey? On outside pressure.... didn't that play a big part in getting you in this situation? When there are options.... there is no point in doing things you don't like... nor have an interest in... you become a slave. Go after what you have an interest in.... academics or skills and to be frank..... in this century.... having a skill is better than going after pure academics. Try finding out how many are roaming the streets with degrees let alone what you are fussing to achieve.
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by MadCow1: 4:03pm On Jul 26, 2016
Stark22:

Police is still selling forms...
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by Stark22: 4:06pm On Jul 26, 2016
jeffdaniel:
My friend, i will advise you to finish this program you're studying for now and strife, so that you can come out with at least a third class, cos as it is you can not make a 2.2.

You didn't tell us the course you are studying, but whatever it is i believe you can still make yourself fall in love with it. Like most people have said, coming out with a third class is not a crime, what you can do out there once you finish is what matters. And also there are online courses and certificate programs to enhance yourself after your first degree.

I made a research and i discovered that people that finished with a third class are not doing bad, after all. Most of the guys that finished with 3rd class during my time , years ago are doing very well now. They were even more prepared to face the world more than those of us that came out with better results.

The funny thing is most of us would end up doing something else, contrary to what we read in school. There are a lot of guys that graduated as a lawyers, engineers, accountants etc that are not practicing what they studied but are doing very well in different areas.

I will advise you to take it easy, make yourself happy, weigh your options, if you believe you can start afresh, go for it and if not honestly what you need is not only good grades to survive in the market world. The most important thing is you've gone through the four walls of schools.

Okay, it's Engineering.

I do things hearing different voices in my head telling me I'm not meant to be in the department.

Not that I don't like third class but I am really sad that I had to let it go this bad.

Making myself happy as an introvert who revolves around solitude ain't easy.

Finishing the programme when all interest has disappeared like 2 years back? Don't really know if that works for me.
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by Stark22: 4:10pm On Jul 26, 2016
Badtguyy:
Sorry bro, I feel your pain, would have wanted to be part of the first to comment, since am not, My answer is simple. There is [b]nothing like u not having interest in [/b]whatever u are doing, U need to surround yourself with people that would motivate u. Bro u can start afresh and dedicate time for your studies, U would be surprised how intelligent u are. Goodluck bro in the decisions u make. Talk to your mum first if u wanna break the bad news, She sure knows how to handle her husband.

Thanks, I'll use this break to talk with mum though.

I motivated people back then and they wanted to be like me who was always serious. It's going to look ironic seeking help from them cos they respect you.
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by muffyt05: 4:10pm On Jul 26, 2016
I was in the same situation back then I school. Knew I had the brain to grad with a very good result but family issues & a little distraction derailed my target & I graduated with a 3rd class. Mind you,I wasn't a dullard or a did but lecturers failing students on purpose for "runs" or "blocking" played its part as well. Took up a teaching job immediately after service & was paid a paltry sum (#20,000) which I made sure I saved half of it on monthly basis.
My aggressive savings meant I was able to acquire some things for myself while I started a business (buying & selling) which I know I'm very good at with just #20,000 and in less than a year made over #200,000 profit thereby allowing me secure a moderate apartment and furnished as well. Right now,teaching at a much bigger school where the salary is far better than the 1st and I tell you I continued with my aggressive savings by joining the co-oprative society in the school and I tell you I rank among (1-10) highest savers in the cooperative and you know the reason for this mad savings,cos I don't see myself there for too long because of the desire to set up my own business.
So my brother,its only human you feel bad for your situation, but its more important you pick up yourself & fashion out what to do outside school. Nobody says your destiny is tied to your certificate but what you can make out of a terrible situation. By December,I would have saved half a million naira from my teaching job and probably a little more b4 venturing into my personal business.
My advise for you,look inward,determine your God given talent(s) and develop it. This will propel you to the top faster than what certificate can do cos I also had university friends who did "runs" but are no different from illiterates. The Lord is you strength brother and never forget Him in whatever decision you take

2 Likes

Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by aezenkwu(m): 4:12pm On Jul 26, 2016
Bro lemme tell u.. U can still make it... When I was in third year, my gp wasn't up to 1.5 but I put more efforts in final year and wrote some carry overs. Didn't even grad with my mates but I came out with 2, 2. I had one extra year. U can still make it if u want. Just pick it as a challenge. And remember pray and go to church cos I have seen where u wrote u don't partying.. Lol... Niggas wey dey party now we're the best then. When u grad. Make sure u learn something good and try and save up some capital.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

RSUST SUG Official Awards Her Boyfriend For Being The Love Of Her Life (Photos) / Photos Of Osun Model Schools At Night / A School Named After Sir Emeka Offor In Katsina State (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.