Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,324 members, 7,819,107 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:24 AM

I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed (33807 Views)

Al-hikmah University Lecturer Orders 300 Level Law Students To Kneel Down / Grades For Sex: Nekede Polytechnic Student Begs Lecturer For Help / 7 Reasons Students Graduate With Poor Grades In The University. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by Stark22: 6:57pm On Jul 26, 2016
horlumiday:
lol.. You dont Even believe.. For me to say tell you to turn everything to God but study and do your part.. You should know i have a story to tel..Was once in ya shoes.. Mayb mine was worse self..if i tel you, i think u r goin to say, its just luck,but issokay.. You dont Believe.. Fight ya struggles alone then... I cnt argue jawe..
It's not about me believing, it's doubt and the atheists threads I've been reading of late
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by Senai(m): 7:03pm On Jul 26, 2016
[quote author=ennyhola post=47907359]funaab Sir?[/quote I knew someone was going to find me out... Yeah...Funaab...Bch 12....who's you?
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by Dexema(m): 7:07pm On Jul 26, 2016
Stark22:

Crossing from the department has always been ringing in my head even when in exams hall, exactly, like my elder sis, she doesn't want to accept the fact that I've lost interest, she keeps thinking it's all gonna be OK.

I feel I need fresh air, and some family and friends just don't want to understand that I lost interest.

thanks, I appreciate.
you are welcome, but please face reality, it's very unlikely that it will all be "okay" the matric no belongs to you not her. Make hay while the sun shines. Shalom
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by Nobody: 7:16pm On Jul 26, 2016
Stark22:
I don't know where to begin but post this with a sad heart.
Before I started my course, I had this feeling that I wasn't meant to be in that department. I was encouraged by friends and family members to continue that I'll have interest later on. My results kept on getting bad but instead of it motivating me to work harder, it changed me entirely and I am doubting myself cos I know how good I was compared to what I keep seeing on my results.

Does fate really prevent progress or what?

300 level sitting on 1.1 something and I don't expect it to improve cos I think my mindset is really affecting it; meaning no matter the amount of reading I do, it won't really work.

I thought a lot of guys and they're doing pretty well, don't know what's wrong.

it's appalling when people who look up to you are doing better than you.

What if I switched departments back then? I believe things wouldn't have gotten to this stage.

I just need counselling from you guys.

it's really serious and I'm sad.

Even people who used me to brag back then would be shocked to find out about my current situation.

Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by Nobody: 7:17pm On Jul 26, 2016
Stark22:
Before I started my course, I had this feeling that I wasn't meant to be in that department. I was encouraged by friends and family members to continue that I'll have interest later on. My results kept on getting bad but instead of it motivating me to work harder, it changed me entirely and I am doubting myself cos I know how good I was compared to what I keep seeing on my results.

300 level sitting on 1.1 something and I don't expect it to improve cos I think my mindset is really affecting it; meaning no matter the amount of reading I do, it won't really work.

What if I switched departments back then? I believe things wouldn't have gotten to this stage.

Even people who used me to brag back then would be shocked to find out about my current situation.

Am I seein 1.1 abi my eyes are deceivin me.? Bros the truth is that u can't meet up again cos u are almost done and that grade is way too small for that level you are now. I would advise you to quit and start afresh again but this time, go for any of the courses you love. Best of luck
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by Nobody: 7:30pm On Jul 26, 2016
[quote author=Senai post=47912719][/quote]lol boss ..I am currently in funaab and I know what funaab is capable of doing
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by 360command: 7:33pm On Jul 26, 2016
Stark22:

my guy, it is not the end of the world. No b everybody wey finish no watin dem write for school.. I advice you to just graduate with anything. A graduate is a graduate.. You never can tell how life wan take change for you. If you see connections and dem talk say dem need degree, u go kno say u fit provide that one.. Just graduate and focus on your next step.. If na abroad oo, hustle oo, work oo... Just finish first.
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by Anoruo(m): 7:33pm On Jul 26, 2016
Stark22:

Thank you but my psychology has been compromised by the same piece of paper

I just told you the fact. The earlier you realize the better you will become.
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by ugoslique(m): 7:47pm On Jul 26, 2016
Stark22:

See my broda....don't discourage ursef cos u re 3rd year.....strive hard to get a third class.... to get there. u pray God gv ur the right and well connected people to land u ur dreams......Companies will train u on what they want u to do for them...have seen petroleum engrs employed and still does office work in a multinational company company.....all u need is Favor from God....School is important...pls don't try to drop out.. wish u well
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by JohnWriter: 7:50pm On Jul 26, 2016
Dear Stark22,

Is your program a four year course?

Anyway, you can turn your life around even if you can't do same for your results.

There are a couple of important issues you raised, which I will try to address:

1. You never gave yourself a chance from the on-set, that has to end from this minute, start afresh from where you are not minding your current CGPA.

2. You still do not think you are studying the right course but at 300 Level, my friend, that is your right course, start to love and enjoy your program from this moment.

3. You think too much of what your parents, family & friend would say or do, how you have disappointed them; my friend, in the end "it is all man for himself".

From this moment on, be deliberate about loving yourself, your course and finish with the best grade possible.

Good grade makes you attractive to employers but good knowledge makes you the employer, so pursue knowledge!

6. Finally, pray and speak positive words to yourself everyday.

You can reach me on olayinkaolonode@gmail.com, let's talk more.

Cheers.
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by Kirinwa: 7:54pm On Jul 26, 2016
Stark22:

Thanks sir, what about pressure from family and friends?
I really want to set things right.

Dude you really need to watch '3 idiots' an Indian film.
Your parents won't stay with you forever neither will you stay with them forever.
Its good thing you came on Nairaland and be grateful to the MOD that put this thread on front page cos I will give you an advice which you should consider.

1. You need to retake Jamb and choose a course you love.
2.When you secure admission, leave woman mayter , school politics or any activities that will distract you.
3 Attend all lectures, buy relevant textbooks, ask your lecturers questions etc

That's what you should do, tell your parents about the situation and your decision and for once in life be firm about it.

NB: Our dear parents your duty is to guide and pray for your children not to impose courses, life partners etc on us. Please o to avoid future confusion and heartbreak.
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by horlumiday(m): 7:56pm On Jul 26, 2016
Stark22:

It's not about me believing, it's doubt and the atheists threads I've been reading of late
Happened to me too.. Atheists are good when it comes to convincing people.. I was like... Are they saying the truth... But nah... Me n my Bible(kjv) are like 5 an 6...They don't believe in God and they spend their entire life trying to convince others in something they don't believe in.. lol.. You see them lurking around Christian posts.. They dont Believe in Bible.. sayin.. People wrote it... yea.. they wrote it but it was inspired by the Holy Spirit... Nw i am kinda wonderin.. who wrote the text books they are usin, they Believe in text books written by people not inspired by Holy Spirit but cnt Believe in Gods word... Nigga.. All they want is evidence... They are plenty of evidence around them but they are too blind to see.. Deep down you know he is real but you keep doubting... issokay... o..... If you wanna know someone.. sheby you will try and get close to the person.. You wanna know God.. Get close to Him... If you are stil doubting whether He is real or not... ko si wahala... ayaf don my part... Or go to 'gotquestions. org' ... If you wanna know Him...
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by fflamingo(m): 8:16pm On Jul 26, 2016
Stark22:

excuse me, are you me incarcerated?. your story and every of your comment seem like am the one typing.
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by Temitoppe(m): 8:28pm On Jul 26, 2016
maybe you should visit the counselling department in SAD students affairs division
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by Stark22: 9:06pm On Jul 26, 2016
JohnWriter:
Dear Stark22,

Is your program a four year course?

Anyway, you can turn your life around even if you can't do same for your results.

There are a couple of important issues you raised, which I will try to address:

1. You never gave yourself a chance from the on-set, that has to end from this minute, start afresh from where you are not minding your current CGPA.

2. You still do not think you are studying the right course but at 300 Level, my friend, that is your right course, start to love and enjoy your program from this moment.

3. You think too much of what your parents, family & friend would say or do, how you have disappointed them; my friend, in the end "it is all man for himself".

From this moment on, be deliberate about loving yourself, your course and finish with the best grade possible.

Good grade makes you attractive to employers but good knowledge makes you the employer, so pursue knowledge!

6. Finally, pray and speak positive words to yourself everyday.

You can reach me on olayinkaolonode@gmail.com, let's talk more.

Cheers.

It's a five year course (Engineering)

I'll contact you, thanks.
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by Dnnnn(m): 9:18pm On Jul 26, 2016
Esseite:
What ever your result is, you can make it if you are determined. I have seen 2.1 results and 2.2, but trust me they are nothing to write home about.

To me, i actually prefer 3rd class holders on employment with training. Why because, they work like its their last take and as if the coy belongs to them due to less options, they are risk takers.

Work is routine and anybody can learn if he/she is willing and determined as long as you have the basics.

Dont loose hope, their is an enterprising world for you out there to take home. It might just be your path

Can't u read? He was forced, He is not meant for that course. abeg start again jare
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by Stark22: 9:23pm On Jul 26, 2016
fflamingo:
excuse me, are you me incarcerated?. your story and every of your comment seem like am the one typing.
Lol, incarcerated as in imprisoned/confined?
Elucidate sir
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by fretfingers: 9:49pm On Jul 26, 2016
Stark22

If u don't mind what's the course u'r studying presently and the one you will like to Study?
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by Stark22: 10:05pm On Jul 26, 2016
fretfingers:
Stark22

If u don't mind what's the course u'r studying presently and the one you will like to Study?
Chem engine and I thought of Computer science at some point.
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by biafraone: 11:11pm On Jul 26, 2016
Dear OP,

I know how it feels to perform below par especially for a brilliant person like you.
But to be frank with you, education in the Nigerian context do not, i repeat DO NOT favour the brilliant at all. It favours the very smart ones.
I'll tell you a story.

As a "brilliant introvert" during school days, i was struggling with my course (something i had prepared for 3 years before getting into the uni).
At the end of 200 level, i was fighting with a C.G.P.A of 2.6 (0.01 above third class).
I was devastated, the pressure was just too much. First i had just lost my dad and coming from an average family, i knew what staying without basic necessities meant, i just didn't want to join the rat race eventually upon graduation. But alas, i was performing badly and could not understand why.
I was lucky to have a "God sent" who was helping out financially. He was the only one i could talk to about my plight.
You must be smart and you must be the society kind of person willy-nilly he told me.

So you see, if there is anything you must do, you must learn how to become smart.
There is a big difference between studying hard and studying smart. Do not spend your whole time reading a course to understand every little detail rather study with your past question as though your life depends on it.
In this regard, I'd advice you to complete your course. You can always to start afresh later.

Truth is not everybody who graduate with a 1.1 or 2.1 will eventually attain success (whatever success mean), for there would be a time when what we carry as certificates won't just be enough.
Those who attain success are those who first understand themselves and then REALITY.
Some people sometimes get lucky, other times, they just need to walk the opposite direction. Whichever way dear, face reality for it is the first truth you can tell yourself.
Define what you want from life and chart the course towards achieving it.
Employ Dr Ben Carson's best case - worst case analysis to know the next best step to take.
You can find a mini article on it here
I wish you well
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by youngice(m): 11:19pm On Jul 26, 2016
Stark22:

You don't know how to write Nigerian exams
It's very common
Don't be dismayed

1 Like

Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by ugonna1054(m): 11:20pm On Jul 26, 2016
timidapsin:
What the F. is grade... a real Man will never be affected by his grades...
Exams only reward people for what they remember,
Life rewards people for there imaginations and hardwork..

Bro don't mind those saying you should start again... Finish the sh!t and start working hard... start your own biz... and employ those graduates that claim they have good grade...
mhenn wat u remember can take u places oo plus it's the hardwork that ll make u remember in the first place.....
The
@op, idk wat to say but I'd say u start afresh....it's not how far but how well so, just swallow d pride and start allover....this time be determined and more hardworkin, by GOD'S grace u ll succeed.
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by okangisaiah(f): 11:59pm On Jul 26, 2016
Stark22:

My dear I want to use myself as a case study.
I attended one of the federal universities to study Accounting (my choice from secondary school). At the end of 5years of study, I realized I had so many missing scripts and resits. These are courses I had passed. I tried meeting the lecturers for correction but the more I try, the more I discovered other missing scripts.

I was asked to pay 250k for 3rd class. I paid but it did not work out. A pastor introduced me to buy certificate from 'genuine ' source after all the arrangements, the thought of the future if caught brought fear to me. Another exam officer said he is incharged I should pay 200k for 3rd class. My friends, colleagues and hussy advised me to pay get the result and do pgd.

In all this, I know my intellectual capacity and level of intelligence then why should I move about with 3rd class. After 10 years(5yrs for schooling and 5yrs to sought out result, I decided to start afresh though no one stood by me. On the day of making this decision, I almost cried my life out but I took the bold step. Today I am almost graduating with a 1st class result from the same department no soughting, no payment . I'm always praying God to help me achieve that.

DEAR OP IT IS NOT HOW FAST BUT HOW WELL.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by YOLO1(m): 12:08am On Jul 27, 2016
Stark22:

@ OP. 2 things are involved. If you really don't need the grade, you can manage to finish the course by sitting tight and have strong determination. I don't really know the number of courses you have as carry over but if you're sure you can split do it with ur part 4 courses without having extra (or at most a year extra), I would advice you to go for this option but consider this option only if you are business oriented or you have a very strong connection that can fetch you a good job with ur grade.

2. If you know you can't cope with the course, or good grade is more important to you, why not cross to another department or apply for another utme? Do this if you're sure you will cope in this new department and come out with a good grade. I hope this works. Wish you the best.
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by Stark22: 12:15am On Jul 27, 2016
youngice:

You don't know how to write Nigerian exams
It's very common
Don't be dismayed
Lol, lack of focus is what you should say
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by Lrnzjsph(m): 1:49am On Jul 27, 2016
No need for advice again oh, you already said the mindset is poor.

When the mindset improves and you take school serious then your grades will improve but no need to look for 2.1 or even 2.2.
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by MIKOLOWISKA: 3:53am On Jul 27, 2016
Stark22:

enter farm or business
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by adwaani(m): 6:37am On Jul 27, 2016
bigmo1:
@OP, you are on the right part by acknowledging your dire situation and your readiness to change it on matter how hopeless it seems. I was once in your situation back then in unilag. I was offered a course i was not too keen about. I realized how bad my cgpa was after my 3rd year. 2.1 thereabout. I decided to buckle up and made sure I became friends with the first class and 2-1 guys in my class. I was always following them around, sitting in class with them, going to study at night with them, even helping them to book space in the libraries. Never missed tutorials. At the end of the last 2semesters, I made an average cgpa of almost 4.5. This was not enough to push me into 2-2. So I had to take an extra semester even though I had no carryovers. Thankfully my course adviser and other lecturers made it possible because they were impressed with my drastic academic improvement. They even helped encourage my parents to support me when they went to school with me after they found out I was having an extra semester. I have since then bagged a masters in the same field, gotten a job in the same field and I am holding a vital position at my workplace. All hope is not lost yet. Get serious with your studies, forget fellowships , parties and social gatherings. If you have to take an extra year after your 4 regular years, then do it. You can still make a 2-2. It might even be easier than taking jamb again and hustling for a fresh admission. Cheers.

You are simply inspiring sir!!!!.... . your story put a smile on my face, may God give him more testimonies of greatness

1 Like

Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by daxon001(m): 6:42am On Jul 27, 2016
Try using mnemonics to cram your bulky notes,put your mind to it to make sure you remember what every letter stands for, and meet your brainy course mates for those technical and calculative courses. Try it and thank me later. Mnemonics dey sweet sha.
Ma 2cents
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by Sprintson(m): 6:50am On Jul 27, 2016
Good morning dear!
Its not really that bad coz nothing is worse than dying.
Option1: As far as you are living You will get there.
Believe in yourself More,Read more and try to meet up to atleast 3rd class level then you can go ahead with a PGD. (The pain still lingers though)
Option2:
Restart school and go for a programme that you love though your family won't be happy with these options..

Option3: email me I need to talk to you akeredolud@gmail.com...

Option4: Hard to belive but GOD is still GOD
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by wilson1111: 7:15am On Jul 27, 2016
my brother dont let anyone advice you to go for Jamb again just try and maintain the grade you are not because you can never grade more than that in 300L you are now ,you all have to know here in naija will dont get employment on merit ,will get it on whom you know .so come out with your 3th class and face your life ,if you are destine to make it big you will okay forget all those advice that you should rewrite jamb again

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ransome Kuti Memorial Grammar School 1988 Set Celebrates 35th Years Anniversary / Best 8 Pictures Of Buhari That Students Can Relate To / Itodo Anthony Samuel Listed Among Top 50 Teachers In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.