Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,966 members, 7,806,798 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:41 AM

I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed (33687 Views)

Al-hikmah University Lecturer Orders 300 Level Law Students To Kneel Down / Grades For Sex: Nekede Polytechnic Student Begs Lecturer For Help / 7 Reasons Students Graduate With Poor Grades In The University. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by bigmo1(m): 4:13pm On Jul 26, 2016
@OP, you are on the right part by acknowledging your dire situation and your readiness to change it on matter how hopeless it seems. I was once in your situation back then in unilag. I was offered a course i was not too keen about. I realized how bad my cgpa was after my 3rd year. 2.1 thereabout. I decided to buckle up and made sure I became friends with the first class and 2-1 guys in my class. I was always following them around, sitting in class with them, going to study at night with them, even helping them to book space in the libraries. Never missed tutorials. At the end of the last 2semesters, I made an average cgpa of almost 4.5. This was not enough to push me into 2-2. So I had to take an extra semester even though I had no carryovers. Thankfully my course adviser and other lecturers made it possible because they were impressed with my drastic academic improvement. They even helped encourage my parents to support me when they went to school with me after they found out I was having an extra semester. I have since then bagged a masters in the same field, gotten a job in the same field and I am holding a vital position at my workplace. All hope is not lost yet. Get serious with your studies, forget fellowships , parties and social gatherings. If you have to take an extra year after your 4 regular years, then do it. You can still make a 2-2. It might even be easier than taking jamb again and hustling for a fresh admission. Cheers.

1 Like

Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by Stark22: 4:13pm On Jul 26, 2016
lobiologs:
Before you decide to take another jamb/utme. First look at what you did wrong

If it was a case of getting un serious because of over confidence or just plain un seriousness you have to work on that.

Lastly it could just be the course...
Well, I'd say I became unserious after seeing my first semester result in 100L(2.38) I think, can't really recall).
The little interest just vanished.
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by Stark22: 4:20pm On Jul 26, 2016
ramalot:

This here is your issue. Get rid of that mentality, and learn to hold YOURSELF accountable for your outcomes.

NOT fate, NOT "your enemies," but your lack of adequate academic input. Until you do that, your grades will suffer.

The key to academic success is to study the material with genuine interest in the subject matter. Good grades would come as a bonus.
If you're studying only to pass an exam, you're better off not being in school, as you'll forget it all the second you drop your pen anyway.

LOL,enemies?

Your last paragraph, I think it's studying to pass exams I haven't really done. But those studying to pass exams are the one ones even making it these days.
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by aezenkwu(m): 4:27pm On Jul 26, 2016
bigmo1:
@OP, you are on the right part by acknowledging your dire situation and your readiness to change it on matter how hopeless it seems. I was once in your situation back then in unilag. I was offered a course i was not too keen about. I realized how bad my cgpa was after my 3rd year. 2.1 thereabout. I decided to buckle up and made sure I became friends with the first class and 2-1 guys in my class. I was always following them around, sitting in class with them, going to study at night with them, even helping them to book space in the libraries. Never missed tutorials. At the end of the last 2semesters, I made an average cgpa of almost 4.5. This was not enough to push me into 2-2. So I had to take an extra semester even though I had no carryovers. Thankfully my course adviser and other lecturers made it possible because they were impressed with my drastic academic improvement. They even helped encourage my parents to support me when they went to school with me after they found out I was having an extra semester. I have since then bagged a masters in the same field, gotten a job in the same field and I am holding a vital position at my workplace. All hope is not lost yet. Get serious with your studies, forget fellowships , parties and social gatherings. If you have to take an extra year after your 4 regular years, then do it. You can still make a 2-2. It might even be easier than taking jamb again and hustling for a fresh admission. Cheers.

This kind of thing happened to me.
I used to buy them food for them to show me the way. The best in our class then was my paddy. But I hated my class members and on the day of our last paper I deleted their numbers, reasons they didn't show me the way. Here in unn they set either past questions and no body would help during exam time to explain most of thing u need to know. .... When I Understood the way I began to make A's. Just understand how questions r been set in ur school and go tru alot of past questions and it will help u bro.

1 Like

Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by aezenkwu(m): 4:30pm On Jul 26, 2016
truthsayer007:

Oga, Nobody cares if you come out with 3rd Class. Go and Learn something worthwhile.

Do professional courses, thats how you get employed.

You have plenty choice:

1. Learn Accounting: doing ACCA courses.
2. Learn software development: you can start from Andela or Online courses.
3. Fashion Designing: you can learn from Top Fashion design schools like Toscany Academy.
4. Learn Entrepreneur ship: you can start from schools in Ghana - Meltwater Entrepreneurial School of Technology (MEST).

And you won't spend too much.

So stop crying, Who cares about your 3rd class undecided

Where will get all this... WANNA learn more esp on number 2 and 4.
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by Stark22: 4:32pm On Jul 26, 2016
Dexema:

Bros come here let me word you, I never started enjoying "part " of my young life till I realised my life is mine though family and loved ones share a "part" of it.
My advice : cross from that department if you can find a course you love or that is relatively easier, this way you can start afresh get a good grade and chase a better and quality life while at it. I had a friend who did such and I felt sorry for her, I even felt she degraded herself by choosing to go back and pick a "general" course but guess what the next time I saw her was on TV, obviously she had made good grades and pushed herself to achieving her life goals.
Those parents, friends or family you are scared of facing now will blame you and worst of all won't be able to help you. It's a jungle out here after school, guys with good grades are struggling for lil jobs, only grace can help anyone with "not Good enough " grades.
PS: you have a gift, you are not here by mistake, you are better than you ever imagined, but please find that environment where your star can shine. Don't fish in the wrong pond.
Crossing from the department has always been ringing in my head even when in exams hall, exactly, like my elder sis, she doesn't want to accept the fact that I've lost interest, she keeps thinking it's all gonna be OK.

I feel I need fresh air, and some family and friends just don't want to understand that I lost interest.

thanks, I appreciate.
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by Stark22: 4:36pm On Jul 26, 2016
aezenkwu:

This kind of thing happened to me.
I used to buy them food for them to show me the way. The best in our class then was my paddy. But I hated my class members and on the day of our last paper I deleted their numbers, reasons they didn't show me the way. Here in unn they set either past questions and no body would help during exam time to explain most of thing u need to know. .... When I Understood the way I began to make A's. Just understand how questions r been set in ur school and go tru alot of past questions and it will help u bro.

it's even recently I started to relate with some of them.

I have never really been a fan of past questions
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by raindrop99: 4:36pm On Jul 26, 2016
I knw of graduates who are earning a living without their certificate. Education does not guarantee success...Learn a skill, u can become an employer of labour...
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by eyinjuege: 4:36pm On Jul 26, 2016
I'm wondering if the situation will be different ifbyou start afresh with the course of your choice.
Are you sure your grades will be better? Or you'll even get more depressed that your mates have graduated and you're just starting all over.

School is really not for everyone o. Some people find it hard coping in higher institution.

And not everyone who goes to a higher institution succeeds in life.

Anyway, my advice is that you continue with your school , and write jamb at the same time. You don't have to drop out to write jamb. If you pass the jamb and get your choice course of study, then you can leave your present school and start afresh, else just graduate with your pass and go and learn an apprenticeship you like
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by Stark22: 4:38pm On Jul 26, 2016
Anoruo:

A pices of paper cannot determine your future
Thank you but my psychology has been compromised by the same piece of paper
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by Stark22: 4:42pm On Jul 26, 2016
nairaschool01:
guy hw he tak happen na u tak all your course over for your 100l and 200l
Lol, I no fit say how e happen
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by Stark22: 4:48pm On Jul 26, 2016
horlumiday:
Turn to God and seek Him diligently.. He knows your Heart, he cant be deceived.. Start reading your Bible and keep His commandments...Keep your Faith... Be hopeful... So if you pray n nothing happens.. search your self, there's prolly a sin you are still holding on to.... and read o, then leave the rest to Him..... You dont have to retake jamb.. you have someone up there willing to help if you ask.. and if you wanna retake jamb... Go ahead.. But put God first...
You guys and God sha.
I'll create another thread about this God and religion later.
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by VOMOHANDSOME(m): 4:51pm On Jul 26, 2016
I really feel for u dear!.I think dis is the very tym for u to believe dat life is full of impediments and astute difficulties.let's say u eventually graduate with 3rd class......do u know that u av wht it takes inside of u to live a life of 1st class.......its not all about the certificate u hold dear,its all about ur tendency to unleash every potential within.finish d course and try to improve ur grades.one love.
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by jamzzy28(m): 4:59pm On Jul 26, 2016
Go learn business cool
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by Stark22: 5:01pm On Jul 26, 2016
Prebaby93:

your mindset is bringing u down..I once had that problem.. I found my course very difficult comprehending...simple questions I couldn't answer.. one day I decided to make a change..I read n prayed very hard and also put more effort n am making it today.. so dear pls n pls change ur thought n put more effort
It's really brought me down, I think I need a brain reset (lol).

Does prayer really work these days?
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by Stark22: 5:05pm On Jul 26, 2016
Thanks guys, those of you saying school is not for everybody, Sch is for my cos my problem started like 2 years back not that it has always been there.
Things happen and some people lose focus.
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by jayjaysony: 5:08pm On Jul 26, 2016
complete d race man,do ur best 2 salvage d situation.u ar nearer 2 bn a grad dan 2 backout.get ds first weda 2:2 or 1:1.kip d cert and start all over on ur choice course if u hav d resources.i knew bk den i was a product of distinction but managed grad lower credit despite all efforts.later got a job wt LASG ministry and went bk to LASU.2god b d glory i grad wt 2:1
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by viaeny(m): 5:13pm On Jul 26, 2016
I hv experienced such before. Just start from the begining you don't like the course that's just the main factor pulling you back.
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by Nobody: 5:20pm On Jul 26, 2016
Stark22:

Thanks sir but I don't know where to draw motivation from again, just like I'm lost in my own world. And you talked about the God factor, I'm beginning to doubt that he cares or exists, do your best and leave the rest to God, they say. What of people that don't come to class, the ones that don't even grab the concept of a particular course, they make it and it's not pride but I know myself.

What if fate is trying to tell me something?

Writing exams without reading for hours was usually sufficient to an extent.

It hurts when people around you see you as intelligent and your world crashes when you can't show for it via exams.

I've never been tagged dull by anyone but that's what I see in myself with what has been happening.

I don't party, I have few friends, I'm usually on my own so I've got enough time for excellence but it's not working sir.

I will advice you to Think about life from your angle, write down the options you have and work from there, Most times its not the certificate but the person,
Two you need to have friends and go out, I was introverted in my year one, it affected me , pls just make frnds with people Good or bad, don't judge, your progress in life depends on the kinda frnds you make in school.. Life and all diaspora
Pray to God for directions and if you have parents talk to your Dad
. Wish you luck
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by tosyne2much(m): 5:24pm On Jul 26, 2016
Oma307:
permit me to call the attention of tosyne2much
Haha!! Me ke? shocked

I no sabi book too oooo
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by Krasid(m): 5:33pm On Jul 26, 2016
Don't give up or quit like you are being advised to by some folks; getting a first class degree does not guarantee a successful life, likewise getting a 3rd class does not mean you would end up a failure.Moreover, there is no guarantee that starting all over would get you a better result.What you need right now is motivation, focus and most importantly God.You would also need to a mindset reset because I think expectations from your family is weighing you down.
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by Stark22: 5:35pm On Jul 26, 2016
Babysho:

Feels Like You're Talking About Accouting...
Not accounting sir, Engineering.
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by bidak(m): 5:35pm On Jul 26, 2016
I will advise you to start again or better still if your school do allow change of department say like changing from 300l to 200l in another department you should change
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by ExplicitContent: 5:44pm On Jul 26, 2016
Start all over my man. Also use the opportunity of the break to learn a skill and get into business. By the time you in 100l you'd be evenly stable financially
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by gabe: 5:54pm On Jul 26, 2016
Its not fate. U didnt study well, u didnt pass well. Anyway, water under the bridge. Rewrite jamb. Choose a course u really like. Then study like mad. It might feel like u r wasting ur time, but later in life, a 1st class/2:1 u spent 20yrs getting is infinitely more valuable than a pass degree u got in 4yrs. Nobody will ask u when u graduated. Its d color of ur grade that will matter.
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by Cunninlinguist: 6:07pm On Jul 26, 2016
Stark22:
I don't know where to begin but post this with a sad heart.
Before I started my course, I had this feeling that I wasn't meant to be in that department. I was encouraged by friends and family members to continue that I'll have interest later on. My results kept on getting bad but instead of it motivating me to work harder, it changed me entirely and I am doubting myself cos I know how good I was compared to what I keep seeing on my results.

Does fate really prevent progress or what?

300 level sitting on 1.1 something and I don't expect it to improve cos I think my mindset is really affecting it; meaning no matter the amount of reading I do, it won't really work.

I thought a lot of guys and they're doing pretty well, don't know what's wrong.

it's appalling when people who look up to you are doing better than you.

What if I switched departments back then? I believe things wouldn't have gotten to this stage.

I just need counselling from you guys.

it's really serious and I'm sad.

Even people who used me to brag back then would be shocked to find out about my current situation.
Buy a jamb form and start afresh but this time, go for a course you're comfortable with. Stay strong and before you know it will all be over trust me. My story is similar to yours. My folks pushed to do science(wanted me to be a medical doctor) in my secondary school and i went along with it even though I didn't know shit about science. Unsurprisingly,I failed in my ss1. Instead of repeating, i moved along with them. Kasala burst in ss3 when we were registering for Ssce. My mum came to pay my waec fee and they found out that my name was still in ss1.
I am still being haunted by the tears my mum shed that day. That was when I took the decision to start ss1 afresh but this time doing what I love(Art).The road was tough because I had to endure insults(nothing is more insulting that getting flogged by you juniors) but I made it. I finished my service this year.

My reason for writing this epistle is to encourage you to take the right step this time. Cheers and goodluck!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by Princepoint(m): 6:09pm On Jul 26, 2016
we nigerian think about getting grades Which does not garantee us to stardom I belive that their is that special thing in you You need to figure out
Just a've faith in your self
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by Adeyinka1758(m): 6:12pm On Jul 26, 2016
Abeg don't start again o just make sure u clear all and graduate from there because u gat no time to waste.

There are opportunities waiting out there 4 u btw i have friend that didnt further and they are already in millions while i am in my 300l too i never gather anything....

My advice is sha don't start again...
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by horlumiday(m): 6:17pm On Jul 26, 2016
Stark22:

You guys and God sha.
I'll create another thread about this God and religion later.

lol.. You dont Even believe.. For me to say tell you to turn everything to God but study and do your part.. You should know i have a story to tel..Was once in ya shoes.. Mayb mine was worse self..if i tel you, i think u r goin to say, its just luck,but issokay.. You dont Believe.. Fight ya struggles alone then... I cnt argue jawe..
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by janvier27(m): 6:28pm On Jul 26, 2016
Why not seek counsel of your level coordinator or head of department, hoping that they are what I expect them to be.
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by cubicstudeos: 6:33pm On Jul 26, 2016
let me give you this advice. tell your hod to transfer you to a lower department.

you will be returned to 200level.

from there you can prepare your life properly
Re: I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed by cmikel: 6:43pm On Jul 26, 2016
Stark22:
I don't know where to begin but post this with a sad heart.
Before I started my course, I had this feeling that I wasn't meant to be in that department. I was encouraged by friends and family members to continue that I'll have interest later on. My results kept on getting bad but instead of it motivating me to work harder, it changed me entirely and I am doubting myself cos I know how good I was compared to what I keep seeing on my results.

Does fate really prevent progress or what?

300 level sitting on 1.1 something and I don't expect it to improve cos I think my mindset is really affecting it; meaning no matter the amount of reading I do, it won't really work.

I thought a lot of guys and they're doing pretty well, don't know what's wrong.

it's appalling when people who look up to you are doing better than you.

What if I switched departments back then? I believe things wouldn't have gotten to this stage.

I just need counselling from you guys.

it's really serious and I'm sad.

Even people who used me to brag back then would be shocked to find out about my current situation.

ITS BETTER YOU TALK TO YOUR HOD AND DROP ONE YEAR OR TWO IF ITS ALLOWED

YOU WONT GET ANY EMPLOYMENT WITH THAT OOOO... EVEN IF WILL BE A CHICKEN FEE NOT A WELL PAID EMPLOYMENT.

UNLESS A GOVERNMENT JOB OR UR FATHERS COMPANY

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Priscilla Paul-Worika Beats UNIPORT Pharmacy Record, Sets New One, Gets 8 Awards / Abuja Private School Owners Reject Wike’s Fee Hike / Covenant University Vs Uni Ilorin (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.