Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,817 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:38 AM

My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant (22931 Views)

My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help / My Employer Is Taking Advantage Of Me / My Lebanese Boss Promises To Sack Me When Next I Bend Or Try To Collect His Bag (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by OEmiohe: 12:24pm On Jul 26, 2016
I got a job as a school administrator within my area two months ago without knowing I was already pregnant. I enjoy my job and every day I am researching on how I can improve the school but suddenly I observed I was about 2 months pregnant and I told the director due to the fact that I work directly with her as her PA and School administrator .

one major reason I told her was because I felt she was a pastor and she might not be angry but to my surprise after I told her attitude changed towards me she instructed the principal to issue a probation letter of 3 months to me, and also she told me DAT I would go and rest and DAT I would not be benefitical to
them. the worst part is DAT she had be acting cold towards me and has taken off most of my duties from me. I feel bad and I don't know what to do now.
pls do you advice I do especially now secure it a job is only by God's grace.
Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by thorpido(m): 12:26pm On Jul 26, 2016
Was that the rule before you were employed?If they didn't want someone who will be pregnant,they should have told you.
I'm afraid there's nothing you can do if they decide to relieve you of your job.Most companies want newly employed staff to be on ground for a while before taking maternity leaves.

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by OEmiohe: 12:31pm On Jul 26, 2016
No, not at all I was not told anything about that and
they didn't tell me if there was a rule like that or not. she only mentioned that if only I had been working with them long be4 I got pregnant she would have not said anything.

1 Like

Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by Fastpace(f): 1:06pm On Jul 26, 2016
is ur husband not workin?if he is then there is no nd to bother much.u shud nt allow depression in ur condition.ur employer must be one of such people that feels pregnancy make a person ineffective,God can mk anoda way if one way close.pray&have faith.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by NwaNimo1(m): 2:10pm On Jul 26, 2016
That's life I'm afraid.....there is no law in Nigeria that protects pregnant women from discrimination

5 Likes

Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by Drienzia: 2:11pm On Jul 26, 2016
Just resign and go home.
Most persons doesn't encourage working with one who's pregnant. Considering de fact that she will keep taking excuses of going to the hospital for check up during those period of pregnancy. Her taking some duties from you, is a kind of releaf, knowing fully well you pregnant and wouldn't wanno stress you.

But you didn't even tell us if you were impregnated by your husband (married) or your bf undecided . buh if you married, just resign and endure for a year. God will strengthen your husband and you wouldn't lack.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by Nobody: 2:11pm On Jul 26, 2016

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by Nobody: 2:13pm On Jul 26, 2016
My dear, you need Jesus. And it's none of my business. Handle your own matter while I handle mine.

3 Likes

Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by damola1: 2:13pm On Jul 26, 2016
Will you be happy to get a new employee and the person starts getting distracted due to personal committment?

7 Likes

Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by omas1(m): 2:13pm On Jul 26, 2016
Fastpace:
is ur husband not workin?if he is then there is no nd to bother much.u shud nt allow depression in ur condition.ur employer must be one of such people that feels pregnancy make a person ineffective,God can mk anoda way if one way close.pray&have faith.
Seconded.
Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by haconjy(m): 2:14pm On Jul 26, 2016
then abort it....funny
is because u r faithful to him so he believe your pregnant may have negative effect on him..

1 Like

Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by viqueta(m): 2:14pm On Jul 26, 2016
your baby or your job?
Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by skelewu404(m): 2:15pm On Jul 26, 2016
your life ur problem

2 Likes

Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by haconjy(m): 2:15pm On Jul 26, 2016
Fastpace:

so everything should be on her hubby now...
he can't sack u I know that...nothing will happen

1 Like

Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by Orubebe01: 2:17pm On Jul 26, 2016
Op are you married?

5 Likes

Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by Nobody: 2:17pm On Jul 26, 2016
Take it to God in prayer. Ask God to do his will for you

2 Likes

Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by Nobody: 2:19pm On Jul 26, 2016
haconjy:
then abort it....funny
is because u r faithful to him so he believe your pregnant may have negative effect on him..
What the fvck are saying, nigga??

21 Likes

Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by Nobody: 2:19pm On Jul 26, 2016
thorpido:
Was that the rule before you were employed?If they didn't want someone who will be pregnant,they should have told you.
I'm afraid there's nothing you can do if they decide to relieve you of your job.Most companies want newly employed staff to be on ground for a while before taking maternity leaves.

Exactly to some companies it seems like distrust because am assuming once employed you are entitled to maternity leave which involves leave with payment, as also you just got employed and somehow you won't be capable to perform most of the duties you were employed for. In other words the company loses. let's leave sentiments aside that information should have been made known prior to employment.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by Remmyplan(m): 2:20pm On Jul 26, 2016
My Dear Sister, Don't be Afraid or sad, If God could provide for the lilies how much more you. God knows the very end of all human being, just be happy and keep praying for safe delivery, regarding your Job, if they sack you no problem, don't worry a juicy one is on the way, far better, just commit everything to the hand of God, step aside for God to step-in on your behalf.

8 Likes

Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by Oghene2015: 2:20pm On Jul 26, 2016
My dear is even worst with the Lebanese company that am working with,once you re pregnant just count yourself out of work,it's only take the grace if your direct boss liks your work dat you will be return back to work after maternity,just don't Burge yourself with dat,think and thank God for dat miracle you re carrying God in his infinite mercy will provide and supply your needs according to his riches.

1 Like

Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by wandeykul(f): 2:20pm On Jul 26, 2016
Pastor indeed!
Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by nlanded: 2:20pm On Jul 26, 2016
First of all, do you have a letter of employment?
Was there a probation period you have successfully completed prior to you being confirmed as a staff?

From what you said, the owner of the school asked you be given a probation offer letter on knowing you are pregnant.

I don't think you have much to do here, employers always set a three to six months probation for new staff, you are just two months there, so I think legally they have a right to say you haven't successfully satisfied the probation period, that's the harsh truth. If you were given a letter of employment without a probation period then as a confirmed staff you are legally capable to sue them, in this case you can't. Logically as well, I don't think any company would smile at new staff taking a long leave when they just joined the company.

I hope you are given a severance pay package if you are to be laid off though. All the best to you.

7 Likes

Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by ChappyChase: 2:21pm On Jul 26, 2016
Leave the idaiat! Abi you dey consider abortion?
Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by dahmie2013: 2:21pm On Jul 26, 2016
Op, why don't u have a word with ur employer & make her see reason dat ur being pregnant will not affect ur performance. Also, it is logical 4 her 2 behave dat way considering u're new, if u had spent like 2yrs & dis happens she won't mind.

2 Likes

Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by freemanbubble: 2:22pm On Jul 26, 2016
ok. that is why federal job is beautiful. no one threatens you with sack. the money keeps on coming even when the nation economy is bad because the president have no choice! even buhari that is sturborn still pays us on 25th of every month. the females in my working place gets up to four months of maternity leave when they put to bed. this does not include the normal annual leave and the seven days casual leave every staff is entittled to. adding all together they might spend up to six months at home and keep on receiving salary alert.
anyway, don't be afraid of sacking my dear. when one door of happiness closes another one is opened but most often we look too much at the closed door that we don realize the one that has been opened for us. i wish you and your baby happiness. when i have the opportunity i will communicate with you if am giving a slot in my place of work.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by adewumiopeyemi(m): 2:22pm On Jul 26, 2016
cool cool
Re: My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant by greggng: 2:23pm On Jul 26, 2016
OEmiohe:
I got a job as a school administrator within my area two months ago without knowing I was already pregnant. I enjoy my job and every day I am researching on how I can improve the school but suddenly I observed I was about 2 months pregnant and I told the director due to the fact that I work directly with her as her PA and School administrator .

one major reason I told her was because I felt she was a pastor and she might not be angry but to my surprise after I told her attitude changed towards me she instructed the principal to issue a probation letter of 3 months to me, and also she told me DAT I would go and rest and DAT I would not be benefitical to
them. the worst part is DAT she had be acting cold towards me and has taken off most of my duties from me. I feel bad and I don't know what to do now.
pls do you advice I do especially now secure it a job is only by God's grace.

you will not die if you lose that job, Infact u will get a better one. Put your trust in God and keep seeking help from well wishers. By the way you are taking as if your husband ran away. Are you the bread winner? then stop getting pregnant until until ur husband can stand on his feet

6 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

7 Key Office Etiquette You Must Keep To Be A Top Employee / A Female Commercial Motorcyclist (real Definition Of Hustling). Photos. / Nigerian Man Turns Down A 200k Job, Because He Loves His Job Of 50k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.