Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,248 members, 7,811,695 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:25 PM

Parents and potential parents,jump In. - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Parents and potential parents,jump In. (9968 Views)

What Are The Defects That Must Be Disclosed To A Potential Marriage Partner? / Rasul Parents And Offspring / Important For Young Parents And Parents To Be WESTERN EDUCATION "OBSESSION"!!! . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Parents and potential parents,jump In. by Nobody: 5:25am On Jul 28, 2016
I guess I should start by mentioning that this is not an attack on parents, but rather it is something I strongly feel should be discussed based on the incidences I have personally witnessed. A while back, an incident occurred which really hit me hard.
The incident reminded me of the hadiths and advice given by the prophet (may peace and blessing be upon him). I was reminded about the importance of choosing the right spouse, the importance of family, and the importance seeking Islamic knowledge.

As narated by Muslim (145) from Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him): The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: “Islam began as something strange and will revert to being strange as it began, so give glad tidings to the strangers.”

Al-Sindi said in Hashiyat Ibn Majah:

“Strange” refers to the small number of its adherents. The basic meaning of ghareeb (a stranger) is being far from one's homeland. “And will revert to being strange” refers to the small number of those who will adhere to its teachings even though its followers are many. “So give glad tidings to the strangers” means those who follow its commands. “Tooba (glad tidings)” has been interpreted as meaning Paradise or a great tree in Paradise. This shows that supporting Islam and following its commands may require leaving one's homeland and being patient in bearing the difficulties of being a stranger, as was the case in the beginning.

This struck me because this something I witness almost daily as a Muslim. However, what struck me even more was that the youths have become strangers in their homes.

What do I mean?

There is nothing more heartbreaking than when I see youths trying to practice Islam and their parents stand as obstacles on their path. I have seen with my very eyes parents who are meant to be guardians, literally prevent their children from doing good, and in some cases encourage evil. For instance, some parents object to their sons keeping their beards, and their daughters wearing the hijab. How can a father prevent his son from growing his beard? How can parents prevent their daughters from wearing the hijab or niqab? How can parents encourage free mixing in the name of socializing and civilization?

Why have we become so materialistic? Why have we forgotten the true purpose of life, which is to worship Allah? Why have we suddenly forgotten about the hereafter?

There are ABSOLUTELY no justifications for parents or anyone else to advice their children to give up a religious commitment for material things
Allaah says to the believers (interpretation of the meaning):

“O you who believe! Ward off yourselves and your families against a Fire (Hell) whose fuel is men and stones, over which are (appointed) angels stern (and) severe…”[al-Tahreem 66:6]

i.e., enjoin them to do good and forbid them to do evil, and do not neglect them lest they be consumed by the Fire on the Day of Resurrection. Tafseer Ibn Katheer, 5/240
https://islamqa.info/en/45855

I would really like to remind our beloved parents and future parents, including myself, that children are a special trust from Allah. It is never easy raising children especially in this day and age. We should all try to raise children in a manner that is pleasing to Allah and in manner that would benefit us after our deaths.
It was reported that the prophet (peace and blessing be upon him) said "When a human being dies, all of his deeds are terminated except for three types: an ongoing sadaqah, a knowledge (of Islam) from which others benefit, and a righteous child who makhes du'a for him.

I would encourage everyone to be from those who encourage good and forbid evil, those who seek correct Islamic knowledge and those who raise children who will carry the banners of Islam.

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Parents and potential parents,jump In. by Nobody: 6:08am On Jul 28, 2016
I think I can relate to this, anyway jazaki Allaah, may Allaah preserve you and your beneficial knowledge, Ameen.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parents and potential parents,jump In. by Demmzy15(m): 2:11pm On Jul 28, 2016
**Breaks into thread with RPG!!!** angry angry

Cc Rilwayne001, haffaze777, carinmom presbulg, idulesuleown Hdee, et al

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parents and potential parents,jump In. by carinmom(f): 3:00pm On Jul 28, 2016
That is the sad reality, when i was young i detested wearing of hijab with passion even though i grew up in a typical Hausa neighborhood. My parents actually didn't bother especially my dad because i lost my mom when i was only 10 embarassed
The person that encouraged me and made me see the beauty of hijab was my hubby and i'll ever remain grateful to him for that.

Jazakillah khayran Op, many parents are guilty of this, may Allah guide us aright.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Parents and potential parents,jump In. by Nobody: 3:14pm On Jul 28, 2016
^^ sorry about your mum embarassed may Allaah in is infinite mercy grant her jannatul firdaus, Ameen.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Parents and potential parents,jump In. by Presbulg(m): 3:16pm On Jul 28, 2016
Jazakallahu Khayran

It's obvious the only parents who would stop their children from practicing Islam the right way have very little knowledge on Islam.

Education and constant reminder about such issues is what is needed imo.

1 Like

Re: Parents and potential parents,jump In. by Nobody: 3:17pm On Jul 28, 2016
Re: Parents and potential parents,jump In. by Nobody: 3:18pm On Jul 28, 2016
Demmzy15:

Cc Rilwayn.e001, haff.aze777, carinm.om presbu.lg, idulesule.own Hd.ee, et al

Lol @RPG.....you've plaued modern combat gan oo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Parents and potential parents,jump In. by Demmzy15(m): 4:07pm On Jul 28, 2016
lexiconkabir:

Lol @RPG.....you've plaued modern combat gan oo
tongue
Re: Parents and potential parents,jump In. by Demmzy15(m): 4:35pm On Jul 28, 2016
lexiconkabir:
^^ sorry about your mum embarassed may Allaah in is infinite mercy grant her jannatul firdaus, Ameen.
Ameen, Insha'Allah!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Parents and potential parents,jump In. by Nobody: 4:41pm On Jul 28, 2016
Presbulg:
Jazakallahu Khayran

It's obvious the only parents who would stop their children from practicing Islam the right way have very little knowledge on Islam.

Education and constant reminder about such issues is what is needed imo.

I agree with you. What do you think is the best way to educate parents? I feel like it is harder to advice family members. Sometimes parents don't want to listen because they feel they know best and sometimes they actually know the rulings and yet they oppose it.
Re: Parents and potential parents,jump In. by haffaze777(m): 10:42pm On Jul 28, 2016
Demmzy15:

Cc Rilwayne001, haffaze777, carinmom presbulg, idulesuleown Hdee, et al
what's RPG?
Re: Parents and potential parents,jump In. by Demmzy15(m): 11:28pm On Jul 28, 2016
haffaze777:
what's RPG?
Rocket Propelled Grenade, popularly known as 'bazooka'

1 Like

Re: Parents and potential parents,jump In. by busar(m): 8:22am On Jul 29, 2016
A sister is currently going through this. Her father hates her because she decided to start using the hijab, he even told her to count herself out his children he has.. And she's really going through tough time now. May Allah assist her..
This do actually happens to most children that depends on their parents for living because the parents knew he/she can't do without their assistance. A brother told me that a parent once threatens his child (in the university) that she would stop paying his school fees if he continue with his Nisfu sak.
One of the solution i can proffer is that children should always exhibit good character, morals and attitudes at home and towards their parents.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parents and potential parents,jump In. by Presbulg(m): 9:35am On Jul 29, 2016
Contact17:

I agree with you. What do you think is the best way to educate parents? I feel like it is harder to advice family members. Sometimes parents don't want to listen because they feel they know best and sometimes they actually know the rulings and yet they oppose it.

I think they(the parents) would try and listen to other parents who have better understanding of this matter.

2 Likes

Re: Parents and potential parents,jump In. by Nobody: 10:10am On Jul 29, 2016
busar:
A sister is currently going through this. Her father hates her because she decided to start using the hijab, he even told her to count herself out his children he has.. And she's really going through tough time now. May Allah assist her..
This do actually happens to most children that depends on their parents for living because the parents knew he/she can't do without their assistance. A brother told me that a parent once threatens his child (in the university) that she would stop paying his school fees if he continue with his Nisfu sak.
One of the solution i can proffer is that children should always exhibit good character, morals and attitudes at home and towards their parents.

I ask Allah to make the sisters' situation easy for her and everyone else going through similar trials. I always feel that situations like this are tests and Allah never burdens a soul more than it can carry.
Re: Parents and potential parents,jump In. by busar(m): 12:33pm On Jul 29, 2016
Contact17:

I ask Allah to make the sisters' situation easy for her and everyone else going through similar trials. I always feel that situations like this are tests and Allah never burdens a soul more than it can carry.
aameen. Indeed they are tests. She has not even started using khimar and all these is happening. He threatens to curse her if she dares use a full hijab. Allahu musta'an
Situations like this are usually tougher for sisters than brothers

1 Like

Re: Parents and potential parents,jump In. by ilovetheline: 12:39pm On Jul 29, 2016
so how come we believe in Mohammed. what do we say to the infidels?
Re: Parents and potential parents,jump In. by DropShot: 12:41pm On Jul 29, 2016
Contact17:

JazakaLlah Khayran for this beautiful reminder.

It's unfortunate that the world we live now encourages and promotes immorality while discouraging and even criminalizing decency in dressing and strict adherence to principles of Islam.

May Allah guide us, our parents and our children aright.

1 Like

Re: Parents and potential parents,jump In. by Souljaboi1: 1:05pm On Jul 29, 2016
BaarakaLLaahu feek !
Re: Parents and potential parents,jump In. by Nobody: 1:06pm On Jul 29, 2016
DropShot:

JazakaLlah Khayran for this beautiful reminder.

It's unfortunate that the world we live now encourages and promotes immorality while discouraging and even criminalizing decency in dressing and strict adherence to principles of Islam.

May Allah guide us, our parents and our children aright.

Amin
Re: Parents and potential parents,jump In. by usba: 3:01pm On Jul 29, 2016
We should look at the flip side that is parents need to regulate behaviors that might deviate from norms of Islam .... but truth is lots of parents prevent their female child from using the hijab which is a dangerous thing to do.
Re: Parents and potential parents,jump In. by azibit: 6:02pm On Jul 29, 2016
Ohh Allah, help every Muslim trying to get in the right way the Ability and strength to.
We should also try to encourage and talk to others who are still on the wrong path
May Allah help us all
Re: Parents and potential parents,jump In. by Eldahrix(m): 6:36pm On Jul 29, 2016
"And know that your properties and your children are but a trail (Fitinah) and that Allah has with him a greater reward" Qur'an 8:28 SURAH AL-ANFAL (The Spoil of War). May Allah give us more understanding of the Deen and make it easy for us. Ameen

1 Like

Re: Parents and potential parents,jump In. by Midy28(f): 8:20pm On Jul 29, 2016
busar:
I agree with you i am going through the same from my parents, before my mother's demise and after she died my dad still insist on it,Alhamdulilah today Almighty Allah has helped me because i am adhering to Allah's commandments because Allah is greater than my parents

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parents and potential parents,jump In. by hamzeiy: 9:34pm On Jul 29, 2016
Contact17:
I guess I should start by mentioning that this is not an attack on parents, but rather it is something I strongly feel should be discussed based on the incidences I have personally witnessed. A while back, an incident occurred which really hit me hard.
The incident reminded me of the hadiths and advice given by the prophet (may peace and blessing be upon him). I was reminded about the importance of choosing the right spouse, the importance of family, and the importance seeking Islamic knowledge.

As narated by Muslim (145) from Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him): The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: “Islam began as something strange and will revert to being strange as it began, so give glad tidings to the strangers.”

“Strange” refers to the small number of its adherents. The basic meaning of ghareeb (a stranger) is being far from one's homeland. “And will revert to being strange” refers to the small number of those who will adhere to its teachings even though its followers are many. “So give glad tidings to the strangers” means those who follow its commands. “Tooba (glad tidings)” has been interpreted as meaning Paradise or a great tree in Paradise. This shows that supporting Islam and following its commands may require leaving one's homeland and being patient in bearing the difficulties of being a stranger, as was the case in the beginning.

This struck me because this something I witness almost daily as a Muslim. However, what struck me even more was that the youths have become strangers in their homes.

What do I mean?

There is nothing more heartbreaking than when I see youths trying to practice Islam and their parents stand as obstacles on their path. I have seen with my very eyes parents who are meant to be guardians, literally prevent their children from doing good, and in some cases encourage evil. For instance, some parents object to their sons keeping their beards, and their daughters wearing the hijab. How can a father prevent his son from growing his beard? How can parents prevent their daughters from wearing the hijab or niqab? How can parents encourage free mixing in the name of socializing and civilization?

Why have we become so materialistic? Why have we forgotten the true purpose of life, which is to worship Allah? Why have we suddenly forgotten about the hereafter?

There are ABSOLUTELY no justifications for parents or anyone else to advice their children to give up a religious commitment for material things

“O you who believe! Ward off yourselves and your families against a Fire (Hell) whose fuel is men and stones, over which are (appointed) angels stern (and) severe…”[al-Tahreem 66:6]

i.e., enjoin them to do good and forbid them to do evil, and do not neglect them lest they be consumed by the Fire on the Day of Resurrection. Tafseer Ibn Katheer, 5/240

I would really like to remind our beloved parents and future parents, including myself, that children are a special trust from Allah. It is never easy raising children especially in this day and age. We should all try to raise children in a manner that is pleasing to Allah and in manner that would benefit us after our deaths.
It was reported that the prophet (peace and blessing be upon him) said "When a human being dies, all of his deeds are terminated except for three types: an ongoing sadaqah, a knowledge (of Islam) from which others benefit, and a righteous child who makhes du'a for him.

I would encourage everyone to be from those who encourage good and forbid evil, those who seek correct Islamic knowledge and those who raise children who will carry the banners of Islam.

have you made your parent realise the benefits of leabing beards or wearing the hijab?..have you xplained to them with humility and wisdom..if not what use is your knowledge ig you have no wisdom to xplain it..fyi leave your beards or not..if you misbehave to your parents xpecially hlur mum either justly or not..thr posibility you would gain the wrath of Allah is high.
importantly how do you xpect your parent to accept the beards when thats the only thing sunnaic and islamic about you. your character,manners and every other thing is zero.
Dont get me wrong oh..the beards is a grate sunnah virtually a wajib while the hijab is fard too but if thats the only good thing about you. what do you xpect your parent to say.This not to say our parents shouldnt accept the truthbwhen they see it even if its coming from an enemy. but as we sll know..islam is all about knowledge b4 worship. When your parent are yet to get the knowledge how do you xpect them to accept that form of worship.
above all its absolute stupidity to be quoting verses of Allah's wrath on your parent.it shows you lack knowlege and mudt have forgotten your jannah is beneath the feet of your mother. May Allah forgive us and our parents. ameen
Re: Parents and potential parents,jump In. by hamzeiy: 9:43pm On Jul 29, 2016
Contact17:

What do I mean?

have you made your parent realise the benefits of leaving beards or wearing the hijab?..have you xplained to them with humility and wisdom..if not what use is your knowledge if you have no wisdom to xplain it..fyi leave your beards or not..if you misbehave to your parents xpecially your mum either justly or not..the posibility you would gain the wrath of Allah is high.
importantly how do you xpect your parent to accept the beards when thats the only thing sunnaic and islamic about you. your character,manners and every other thing is zero.we are in a generation of knowledge without practice. while our parents where a generation of little knowledge with little practice thus they are even better than most of our so called sunnatic knowledgeable brothers that dont know anything other than declaring muslims even their parents at times as kufar.
Dont get me wrong oh..the beards is a grate sunnah virtually a wajib while the hijab is fard too but if thats the only good thing about you. what do you xpect your parent to say.This not to say our parents shouldnt accept the truth when they see it even if its coming from an enemy. but as we all know..islam is all about knowledge b4 worship. When your parent are yet to get the knowledge how do you xpect them to accept that form of worship.
above all its absolute stupidity to be quoting verses of Allah's wrath on your parent.it shows you lack knowlege and you must have forgotten your jannah is beneath the feet of your mother. May Allah forgive us and our parents. ameen
Re: Parents and potential parents,jump In. by Nobody: 10:57pm On Jul 29, 2016
hamzeiy:

have you made your parent realise the benefits of leaving beards or wearing the hijab?..have you xplained to them with humility and wisdom..if not what use is your knowledge if you have no wisdom to xplain it..fyi leave your beards or not..if you misbehave to your parents xpecially your mum either justly or not..the posibility you would gain the wrath of Allah is high.
importantly how do you xpect your parent to accept the beards when thats the only thing sunnaic and islamic about you. your character,manners and every other thing is zero.we are in a generation of knowledge without practice. while our parents where a generation of little knowledge with little practice thus they are even better than most of our so called sunnatic knowledgeable brothers that dont know anything other than declaring muslims even their parents at times as kufar.
Dont get me wrong oh..the beards is a grate sunnah virtually a wajib while the hijab is fard too but if thats the only good thing about you. what do you xpect your parent to say.This not to say our parents shouldnt accept the truth when they see it even if its coming from an enemy. but as we all know..islam is all about knowledge b4 worship. When your parent are yet to get the knowledge how do you xpect them to accept that form of worship.
above all its absolute stupidity to be quoting verses of Allah's wrath on your parent.it shows you lack knowlege and you must have forgotten your jannah is beneath the feet of your mother. May Allah forgive us and our parents. ameen

Salam alaikum

Let me start by mentioning this was only written as a general reminder to everyone especially parents about the importance of increasing ones' knowledge of Islam as well as the importance of raising children in an Islamic manner. It was not a personal attack on anyone. I made sure to read it before posting and made sure to generalize by using "we" statements.

Without doubt parents have a high status in Islam as well as huge rights over their children.You raised some very important points especially with regards to behavior and character. The prophet ( Peace and blessing be upon him) mentioned that the best from amongst the people are those who are best in character. We have also been commanded by Allah to worship him and obey our parents. We are meant to speak with them with humbleness, humility, and avoid raising our voices on them even when we disagree with matters of the deen. In surah Maryaam Allah gives us an example of a beautiful discussion between prophet Ibrahim (peace and blessing be upon him) and his father. We learn from those verses some etiquette of conversing with parents even when they encourage disobedience to Allah.

That being said, it is not permissible for parents to prevent children from worshiping Allah especially in areas where the acts of worship are obligatory. Growing the beard and wearing the hijab are both obligatory just as performing the salat and giving zakah. It is completely unfair for ANYONE to prevent another person from engaging in an act of worship. Parents have no rights to prevent their children from worshiping Allah and children have the right to disobey them if they do that. Yes, children have the right to disobey whilst being gentle, reminding and informing them of the rulings. Some parents don't have knowledge which is why I felt the need to write this and stress on the importance of increasing ones's knowledge. Some parents know and simply don't care! Whilst some don't simply don't want to listen to their children because they feel they know best. This point was actually raised previously and I asked what are ways children can inform or educate parents. I bring that same question to you.

It is also not right for parents to prevent their children from worshiping Allah because they have a fault in their character. No body is perfect! Everyone starts somewhere. People do not and will not change overnight. If one has faults in his/her character, how is preventing the person from worshiping Allah going to improve that? Rather, I think allowing them to learn and practice the deen will help improve their character because it allows them to get closer to Allah and then perhaps they will learn the etiquette of dealing with people.

Lastly, I think you might have misread the verse of I quoted. The verse simply stated that believers should protect themselves and their families from the fire. I nowhere quoted any verse that talked about punishing parents.

Jazakalluhu kiran
Thank you for your contribution
I say a big amin to your dua'a
Ma salam

2 Likes

Re: Parents and potential parents,jump In. by hamzeiy: 8:36am On Jul 30, 2016
Contact17:

Salam alaikum

Let me start by mentioning this was only written as a general reminder to everyone especially parents about the importance of increasing ones' knowledge of Islam as well as the importance of raising children in an Islamic manner. It was not a personal attack on anyone. I made sure to read it before posting and made sure to generalize by using "we" statements.

Without doubt parents have a high status in Islam as well as huge rights over their children.You raised some very important points especially with regards to behavior and character. The prophet ( Peace and blessing be upon him) mentioned that the best from amongst the people are those who are best in character. We have also been commanded by Allah to worship him and obey our parents. We are meant to speak with them with humbleness, humility, and avoid raising our voices on them even when we disagree with matters of the deen. In surah Maryaam Allah gives us an example of a beautiful discussion between prophet Ibrahim (peace and blessing be upon him) and his father. We learn from those verses some etiquette of conversing with parents even when they encourage disobedience to Allah.

That being said, it is not permissible for parents to prevent children from worshiping Allah especially in areas where the acts of worship are obligatory. Growing the beard and wearing the hijab are both obligatory just as performing the salat and giving zakah. It is completely unfair for ANYONE to prevent another person from engaging in an act of worship. Parents have no rights to prevent their children from worshiping Allah and children have the right to disobey them if they do that. Yes, children have the right to disobey whilst being gentle, reminding and informing them of the rulings. Some parents don't have knowledge which is why I felt the need to write this and stress on the importance of increasing ones's knowledge. Some parents know and simply don't care! Whilst some don't simply don't want to listen to their children because they feel they know best. This point was actually raised previously and I asked what are ways children can inform or educate parents. I bring that same question to you.

It is also not right for parents to prevent their children from worshiping Allah because they have a fault in their character. No body is perfect! Everyone starts somewhere. People do not and will not change overnight. If one has faults in his/her character, how is preventing the person from worshiping Allah going to improve that? Rather, I think allowing them to learn and practice the deen will help improve their character because it allows them to get closer to Allah and then perhaps they will learn the etiquette of dealing with people.

Lastly, I think you might have misread the verse of I quoted. The verse simply stated that believers should protect themselves and their families from the fire. I nowhere quoted any verse that talked about punishing parents.

Jazakalluhu kiran
Thank you for your contribution
I say a big amin to your dua'a
Ma salam
jaxakhaLAHU khairan..i guess i read your write up from the wrong scope.pardon me.
may Allah forgive you,us and our parent.ameen

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Parents and potential parents,jump In. by fasmukol: 4:08pm On Aug 12, 2016
What a good write up. May Allah increase you in knowledge and grant our parents more understanding of the deen.
Re: Parents and potential parents,jump In. by Nobody: 4:10pm On Aug 12, 2016
fasmukol:
What a good write up. May Allah increase you in knowledge and grant our parents more understanding of the seen.

Amin
Re: Parents and potential parents,jump In. by Nobody: 11:38am On Sep 23, 2016

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Death In Islam And Proper Burial Techniques| Part 1 / They Wont Stop Opposing A Sunnah (mut'ah) But Prefer A Bid'ah (misyar) / Why Do Muslims Think That The Comforter Jesus Christ Promised Is Muhammad?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.