Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,809 members, 7,817,346 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:42 AM

Should I Marry This Man? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should I Marry This Man? (34353 Views)

The Woman My Best Friend Is About To Marry This Saturday Has No Womb, Help / Should I Marry A Man With A Low Sperm Count? / Help!!..did I Marry The Wrong Lady? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Marry This Man? by Onegai(f): 5:32pm On Jul 29, 2016
AdaAda1331:
Thank you for all of your responses, I honestly appreciate each of them. Your responses are very similar to my mother's, my brother, his mother and other of my family members. Very different and very honest.

Someone above mentioned that I should treat this as a car sale. You're actually on to something. I still see this in a similar way but not totally. In my mind, he's a Lamborghini but that doesn't mean it's the only Lamborghini I'll see.

Alot of you gave constructive criticism that I may be controlling or I should be mature and I don't have people's skills. I understand that as well. I haven't dismissed my opportunity of growth. I know there's still a lot for me to learn. I also understand that its what youve been able to decipher from my short message. Understand though that I'm not affected by his brother calling me names. I actually laughed when I heard it unintentionally. I didnt take it personal because I knew it wasn't coming from a place of constructive criticism but just plain criticism. My parents are the ones in disbelief, that I haven't even done the introduction but his family are already calling me unnecessary names out of spite.

I made the decision last week to end the relationship. I came on here to see if I did it with the right mindset and heart and I know I did now because I have peace. My point of view is to allow things to run its course. I'll focus on my graduating next year as I have been and I've told him to do the same. Nothing stays the same, I know we will both come out of this. I don't know what will end up happening, but I've decided not to focus on that.

I think you'll be fine. And please don't take the comment about People skills wrongly, almost everyone I know doesn't have it, heck I'm still learning it. That laughter at his comment, that was a reaction. And one day, if you're not in a good mood or having a bad day and he makes another spiteful comment, you will flare up. Because you're human. Trust me, I've been there. And the other party immediately seizes on my reaction and plays it to an attack against me. And later on, it hurt. Because an innocent moment was turned into an opportunity for a goat to be spiteful.

Great people skills means you won't react immediately, not even with laughter. You will go "hmm, okay" in the calmest of voices and continue the conversation. My MiL has mad people skills, I've never seen her truly upset or angry in that she won't react at that possible moment but pass the message along later. Her eyes are always on the end game. The worst thing she has ever said to me, had so little sting in her tone, but I knew she wasn't happy with me. And it is so effortless, it comes off as genuine and sometimes, it only dawns on you a week or month later what she really meant. She knows when to smile, when to be calm, how to be underestimated but still be a juggernaut, when to react, how to always sound sympathetic no matter what, how to pass across a message without getting her emotions and feeling involved and how to code her emotions when she's angry. That is what makes her awesome...and dangerous . grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Marry This Man? by hopeforcharles(m): 5:51pm On Jul 29, 2016
crackhaus:

You're far too kind, welcome bro...
Don't mention bro.
Re: Should I Marry This Man? by AdaAda1331: 5:52pm On Jul 29, 2016
Onegai:

I think you'll be fine. And please don't take the comment about People skills wrongly, almost everyone I know doesn't have it, heck I'm still learning it. That laughter at his comment, that was a reaction. And one day, if you're not in a good mood or having a bad day and he makes another spiteful comment, you will flare up. Because you're human. Trust me, I've been there. And the other party immediately seizes on my reaction and plays it to an attack against me. And later on, it hurt. Because an innocent moment was turned into an opportunity for a goat to be spiteful.

Great people skills means you won't react immediately, not even with laughter. You will go "hmm, okay" in the calmest of voices and continue the conversation. My MiL has mad people skills, I've never seen her truly upset or angry in that she won't react at that possible moment but pass the message along later. Her eyes are always on the end game. The worst thing she has ever said to me, had so little sting in her tone, but I knew she wasn't happy with me. And it is so effortless, it comes off as genuine and sometimes, it only dawns on you a week or month later what she really meant. She knows when to smile, when to be calm, how to be underestimated but still be a juggernaut, when to react, how to always sound sympathetic no matter what, how to pass across a message without getting her emotions and feeling involved and how to code her emotions when she's angry. That is what makes her awesome...and dangerous . grin

This is very good advice. It's something I'll definitely take into account with all my relationships. You've actually given me great advice I know I will practice. If knowing this is the sole reason I felt compelled to write this, it was definitely worth it. I truly appreciate it.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Marry This Man? by AdaAda1331: 6:01pm On Jul 29, 2016
crackhaus:

You can't do anything to improve whatever relationship he has with his family, especially now that they don't even like you - it will only get worse once you force yourself on them...but if for some inexplicable reason your bf is ready to go against them on your behalf, then y'all can sing your Kumbaya as you both walk down the aisle.

Just remember that there will be a lot of I told you so coming from both his family and yours if the going gets tough.

*Cough*

*Clears throat*

*Cough* undecidedundecided

I hear read you Princess, love definitely conquers all.

Let me guess, his parents are wise ONLY when their opinion makes you giddy. cheesy

On the occasion of them not wanting you to become a part of their family, their wisdom in the matter becomes inconclusive because you don't agree with it. gringrin

Me? Conclude? grin

Girl have you been reading your comments about his family so far, you coming off as someone that doesn't even want to dobalé.

If there has been long-standing issues in that family, I wonder what you're even still looking for inside there.
However like I said before, if your man is ready to ride that storm with you, then Kumbaya... cool

There's a fire on the mountain.

Not to burst your bubble, but I think he'll get over you eventually should you decide to scram. grin

Thank you for your response. I don't expect you to be able to understand from brief messages online and be able to give sound advice, but I do appreciate you giving your time to respond.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Marry This Man? by Onegai(f): 6:04pm On Jul 29, 2016
AdaAda1331:

This is very good advice. It's something I'll definitely take into account with all my relationships. You've actually given me great advice I know I will practice. If knowing this is the sole reason I felt compelled to write this, it was definitely worth it. I truly appreciate it.

It's okay, love. I spent my early 20s reacting to things. In almost all situations, I was totally justified but people started using it to pin a label of "controlling, commanding and difficult " etc on me. It didn't matter what I said, if I reacted to something, some manipulative person was there waiting to pick it up and twist it. Manipulative people are a dime a dozen because it is one of the easiest emotions to use to get your way. So you gotta be careful.

1 Like

Re: Should I Marry This Man? by july66: 8:55pm On Jul 29, 2016
AdaAda1331:
I've been in a relationship for 5 years with a great man; we met very young and we're still in school but almost about to graduate. We love each other and things would be easier if family wasn't involved.

His parents are currently divorced and his father, step mother and brother are very difficult people. They are uncompromising and closed minded. His brother has called me selfish and controlling even before the introduction has taken place.

I'm currently in my early twenties and I will be graduating as a doctor next year and I'm from a very peaceful home. I have not been wayward during school and I'm a christian. Seeing that his family doesn't see my value is very disappointing to say the least. I expected much more because I know I'm worth much more.

When you marry in the Nigerian community, you don't just marry the person, the whole family is involved. I have strong feelings for this man. He has refused to adopt his families negative characteristics. His values and character is more than any mother, future wife or friend can ask for. I'm lucky to have even known him.

Now, I'm at crossroads. I've prayed to God and I do have peace, but my parents are telling me to disregard that relationship and move on because of his family. Is it worth it? Is family a rate limiting step to choosing a spouse? How involved are family members in during marriage? Should I move on?
if you ask meeee, na who I go ask?
Re: Should I Marry This Man? by Exponental(m): 8:55pm On Jul 29, 2016
Re: Should I Marry This Man? by adesanya2014: 8:56pm On Jul 29, 2016
saintikechi:
Leave that guy alone, come and marry me, my parents love doctors.
U r a mad man
Re: Should I Marry This Man? by Skmoda(m): 8:57pm On Jul 29, 2016
ferdison:
its two ways now....
If u follow ur heart and things turn out bad, ur family will blame u... And if u follow ur family n end up wit anoda person who gives u hell, then u will not forgive ur family....
i advice u pray more, follow ur heart n take counsel from mayb ur pastor....()
pastor you say, ogbeni pastor kee, pastor will complicate issue. AdaAda1331, pls consult your God and put everything in his care don't go to any fucking pastor.

1 Like

Re: Should I Marry This Man? by saintikechi(m): 9:01pm On Jul 29, 2016
adesanya2014:
i am a mad man
you see your life?
Re: Should I Marry This Man? by replete(m): 9:02pm On Jul 29, 2016
crackhaus:

Seems like someone is already laying the foundation for the only-me-and-my-husband kind of marriage.

His brother called you selfish and controlling because it was revealed to him in a dream, OR is it because of something you did/how he sees you?
Wow! What wisdom is this? Awesome

Hello Princess, the only people you're worth something to by default is your family and your God...for every other person out there, you will have to earn it.

What have you done to prove yourself to his family?

I'm glad you realize that you just don't marry a man without the involvement of his family.

However, don't you think there's a problem somewhere if all you can see in his family are their negative characteristics?

Tell us one thing you like about his family, JUST ONE.

Your parents in all their wisdom and at least 20years of experience in marriage have given you their counsel.

You have just three choices;
1. Try getting his family to change their opinion about you and see you for the awesome & exemplary person you say you are which shouldn't be too hard if you ask me because character speaks for itself.

2. Forget about what his family thinks, pay no attention to your parents, and please go ahead with the marriage - just remember that you may have succeeded in creating a rift between your man and his family which will ONLY be favorable to you, but NEVER favorable to him in the long run.

3. Move on and find love elsewhere.
Re: Should I Marry This Man? by BABANGBALI: 9:02pm On Jul 29, 2016
Lalasticlala when will you marry?
Re: Should I Marry This Man? by replete(m): 9:03pm On Jul 29, 2016
crackhaus:

Seems like someone is already laying the foundation for the only-me-and-my-husband kind of marriage.

His brother called you selfish and controlling because it was revealed to him in a dream, OR is it because of something you did/how he sees you?
Wow! What wisdom is this? Awesome

Hello Princess, the only people you're worth something to by default is your family and your God...for every other person out there, you will have to earn it.

What have you done to prove yourself to his family?

I'm glad you realize that you just don't marry a man without the involvement of his family.

However, don't you think there's a problem somewhere if all you can see in his family are their negative characteristics?

Tell us one thing you like about his family, JUST ONE.

Your parents in all their wisdom and at least 20years of experience in marriage have given you their counsel.

You have just three choices;
1. Try getting his family to change their opinion about you and see you for the awesome & exemplary person you say you are which shouldn't be too hard if you ask me because character speaks for itself.

2. Forget about what his family thinks, pay no attention to your parents, and please go ahead with the marriage - just remember that you may have succeeded in creating a rift between your man and his family which will ONLY be favorable to you, but NEVER favorable to him in the long run.

3. Move on and find love elsewhere.

Wow! What wisdom is this? Great
Re: Should I Marry This Man? by teebillz: 9:05pm On Jul 29, 2016
If you are truly a doctor in the making, then I am ready to ignore all the sampling of your pus5y he has done and marry you. I know it will be a bitter pill for me, but what can man do? I just wanna marry a doctor.
Re: Should I Marry This Man? by Rahym001(m): 9:06pm On Jul 29, 2016
Are u close to the mum? If yes then u have no problem, he is a man with his own authority in his house, his father, steppy or brother can't do him nothing. If you know you are going to be happy with him then Bleep the world. Marry him beeps you are the one going to leave with him

1 Like

Re: Should I Marry This Man? by MmmS(f): 9:07pm On Jul 29, 2016
AdaAda1331:
I've been in a relationship for 5 years with a great man; we met very young and we're still in school but almost about to graduate. We love each other and things would be easier if family wasn't involved.

His parents are currently divorced and his father, step mother and brother are very difficult people. They are uncompromising and closed minded. His brother has called me selfish and controlling even before the introduction has taken place.

I'm currently in my early twenties and I will be graduating as a doctor next year and I'm from a very peaceful home. I have not been wayward during school and I'm a christian. Seeing that his family doesn't see my value is very disappointing to say the least. I expected much more because I know I'm worth much more.

When you marry in the Nigerian community, you don't just marry the person, the whole family is involved. I have strong feelings for this man. He has refused to adopt his families negative characteristics. His values and character is more than any mother, future wife or friend can ask for. I'm lucky to have even known him.

Now, I'm at crossroads. I've prayed to God and I do have peace, but my parents are telling me to disregard that relationship and move on because of his family. Is it worth it? Is family a rate limiting step to choosing a spouse? How involved are family members in during marriage? Should I move on?
aunty you and your future husband need shayo in your life. You are too rigid! Haba!

2 Likes

Re: Should I Marry This Man? by pb99: 9:08pm On Jul 29, 2016
I think you should follow your heart, after all, your family and his won't be the ones to live with him, you have your own life to live, your choices shouldn't be based on anyone's mind set or view of things. You shouldn't be responsible for what others understand, you're only responsible for your words and actions. Good luck.
AdaAda1331:

Re: Should I Marry This Man? by olisaEze(m): 9:08pm On Jul 29, 2016
Young lady marriage is not boyfriend and girlfriend, it's a totally different ball game. If half of his family don't like u, chances are that they always will feel like that. And from what uve said so far it appears ur family is of d same opinion about d union. Now are u ready 2gamble ur future happiness on d off chance that it'll get better with time? but on d other hand, bear in mind that marriage is sustained by understanding rather than love.
Re: Should I Marry This Man? by babyfaceafrica: 9:09pm On Jul 29, 2016
Okay
Re: Should I Marry This Man? by Theoritical(m): 9:09pm On Jul 29, 2016
If presently,he is been controlled or manipulated by his family' take a stroll' cos in future, he might not be able to defend ur interest' But if he is a man of his own principle, girl, uve found ur self a genius' climb the Isle.. pray for God's guidance.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Marry This Man? by Proffdada: 9:10pm On Jul 29, 2016
AdaAda1331: , you're marrying the man to have a FAMILY of YOUR OWN. Don't look back
Re: Should I Marry This Man? by sammyuche(m): 9:12pm On Jul 29, 2016
AdaAda1331:

Med students always have a coma when it comes to relationship issues. let me not even narrate what I experienced. my dear better finish school first and do induction before u tackle this matter. Relationship issues was the number one cause of the resits I had in medschool
AdaAda1331:

Med students always have a coma when it comes to relationship issues. let me not even narrate what I experienced. my dear better finish school first and do induction before u tackle this matter. Relationship issues was the number one cause of the resits I had in medschool
AdaAda1331:

Re: Should I Marry This Man? by yomi007k(m): 9:12pm On Jul 29, 2016
If he has close ties with the people that are against u then u marry him at ur own peril.

Love is not enough.

Ur already thinking right..Emotions aggravate issues.

1 Like

Re: Should I Marry This Man? by abbey621(m): 9:16pm On Jul 29, 2016
Nairaland won't solve all your problems,at times Nairaland can leave you more confused! The fact that you spent 5 years of your life with this guy and are willing to throw it away for things beyond his control is highly concerning. You are still in your early 20s and by the tone of your write up hinting on phrases like "I know my worth" and "my parents want me to move on" shows you've got a long way to go before true enlightenment. I'm going to be frank with you, forget your education and your background. Perception is reality, you've definitely given the family a reason to see you as controlling or difficult. If you truly love this guy,I suggest you speak your mind and have a heart to heart with him instead of relying on strangers. Let him know you want his family to love you and even if he insists everything is okay, be persistent! Whenever you are around his family, be free and not so clingy. Whenever they want to discuss family matter,excuse them and trust in your man. Above all things, always remind your man to be generous towards his family even more than yours. It might seem beneath you or not worth the stress but my sister the end truly justifies the means. Be prayerful, be willing to fight for love and above all be humble!

2 Likes

Re: Should I Marry This Man? by abdeiz(m): 9:16pm On Jul 29, 2016
Question for the op, do you want peace in your life? If yes good, don't marry him. I've known couples that loved each other so much but because one family member doesn't like one of them things got awry for them, not immediately but over the years, ruined their lives including those of the kids who may never know what a normal family would be like. I'm just saying from personal experience that marrying from a family that opposes you would be a huge fvcking problem for you in the future. Take care and I hope whatever decision you make is the best for you.

1 Like

Re: Should I Marry This Man? by nmreports: 9:19pm On Jul 29, 2016
AdaAda1331:

Let me try and help you in a little way.
However, do not take this as a almighty formula.

You do not have any serious problem with them. These are just petty stuff that happens in some families.
I am disappointed that a male can also be as petty as to be saying that to you. He should trust his brothers judgment or at least take his opinion to his brother.

What is important is that your bf is independent in thought and in character. Not easily moved as the waves direct.
So finally, in marriage, it is not usually as we think. Like there would be so much influence from family and all that. Far from it. Those things usually happens only in movies. People have their own life and problems than to put yours on their heads.
If your husband is ready to protect you at all times and if you just continue to be a great woman of character but strong minded too I am sure this will pass. It will pass. The love you both have for each-other is stronger than any limitation.

Those parents enjoyed their life and are probably through with their own marriage, they should let you build and enjoy yours.

Except of course, there is a serious antagonism against both of you getting married by the families.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Marry This Man? by Chinwem(f): 9:21pm On Jul 29, 2016
@AdaAda1331

If you ve prayed to God and you have peace you won't be asking us on nairaland what to do. I would listen to my parents, they are the voice of God most times
Re: Should I Marry This Man? by Nobody: 9:26pm On Jul 29, 2016
You ready for a battle you can't finish?
Re: Should I Marry This Man? by Nobody: 9:27pm On Jul 29, 2016
AdaAda1331:

Sorry but from your post, it's evident that you are bossy and a little self-centred and his family does not like these negative traits.

You obviously need to change your attitude. Do not move on.
Re: Should I Marry This Man? by Toks2008(m): 9:28pm On Jul 29, 2016
AdaAda1331:

Your problem is you.

Go ahead and marry the guy and learn to tolerate his family.

I don't k ow where you got that pooh from that you are marrying his family and not just him. Yoruba adage says "Ko si bi ariwo oja se ma le to, eni ti a n ba na oja ni ama kojusi" meaning no matter the noise in the market, you only need to focus on who you are trading with.

1 Like

Re: Should I Marry This Man? by castrokins(m): 9:28pm On Jul 29, 2016
You Gotta Be Careful Going Forward. Love Wanes Over Time. Your Hubby To Be Will Also Say You're Bossy If You Actually Are. My Thinking Is That You'd Rather Expend This Energy On Bettering Your Reputation. Secure That Elusive Humility And Watch Everything Fall Into Place.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

I Have Phobia For Pregnant Women. / Five Deadly Words Used By Women ;D / My Grandma Still Sends My Dad On Errands

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.