Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,702 members, 7,831,192 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:16 PM

A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A - Autos (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A (17257 Views)

My Very Clean Tokunboh 2005 Mercedes Benz E240 Needs A New Home / Would You Buy This Bicycle For ₦3 Million ? / Mercedes Unveil Their Latest Design “the Myabach Cabriolet”-see The Features. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A by adesanya2014: 10:50pm On Jul 29, 2016
Riding bicycle on the high way is very risky. You will be covering yourself with the blood of Jesus severally before u get to ur destination . Think of relocating ur house closer to ur working place .
Re: A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A by YOLO1(m): 10:56pm On Jul 29, 2016
Princelegacylemoha:
You are good to go with this
Nice looking bicycle you have got.
Please, what's the maker of this one? What are the features and price range
Re: A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A by hemartins(m): 11:08pm On Jul 29, 2016
YOLO1:

Thanks. What's the price range there?

hemartins:

Really can't say. But trying window shopping to get an estimated average.
Re: A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A by YOLO1(m): 11:08pm On Jul 29, 2016
johnshagb:

Are you working at all? How is this "Nonsense" to you? Do you know how hard it is to make #1500 in this harsh economy?
Instead of displaying your childish attitude, why not ignore the thread and move to the next one. angry
All this kids sef undecided
Thanks my brother. It is only in Nigeria we don't value all these. We are all used to the high side of life. Everybody wants to drive a car. No thanks to the yahoo guys that change our mentality and values. Even in the most advanced states, rich and highly influential people ride on bicycles. A year ago, US Secretary of State (John Kerry) was pictured riding a bicycle to his office. He even broke his leg sometimes ago on the bicycle.
Thanks to the people that have contributed so far. Have learnt a lot. Will get the bicycle in the coming weeks after have finished my research and will come and show you on Nairaland.
You are free to celebrate with me

3 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A by YOLO1(m): 11:10pm On Jul 29, 2016
mrsirdam:

I haven't really researched on buying bikes in naija, but o would recommend you buy a road bike considering what purpose you wanna use it for. https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/bicycle.html

PLEASE, ALWAYS USE A HELMET!!! Especially on naija roads, get an insurance on the bicycle considering how expensive it it (because you are looking at roughly $2000 USD).

If you go for the cheaper ones which are about 30k naira, they probably wouldn't last and they are more strenuous on you the rider.
Good luck my man and please don't ever not wear a Helmet riding on naija roads
Thanks so much. I appreciate
Re: A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A by YOLO1(m): 11:24pm On Jul 29, 2016
pdudy:
Here is mine.

Fuji Roubaix 3.0 LE 2015. Changed the tires to 700x23c Continental Gatorskin.
How often do you ride it? And how has been your experience since you started riding?
Re: A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A by YOLO1(m): 11:26pm On Jul 29, 2016
merahki:

Imagine how healthy and fit and beautiful we would all be cool
I bought two bicycles in the UK....one for me, one for a baby relative....refurbished beauties
However the devil lipsrsealed made me not ship them back home at the last minute.....

I regret this
I took bike lessons for a while
I felt sooo alive then

Oh well
Meanwhile @ poster, you should not care what people say to discourage you....any female or male who does not get the bike riding should not look down on you...they are ignorant...so why scoff at you? Lol
If you can shower once you get to your workplace, before working, perfect....if not, bathe before you leave, and wear anti-perspirant deodorant, not perfume please lipsrsealed
And wash up when you return
I like your mind
And the body you are surely gonna have, a great looking and healthy one !
Thanks bro. I appreciate
Re: A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A by YOLO1(m): 11:31pm On Jul 29, 2016
daroz:

If you really need a bicycle that won't be zapping your energy, then buy an electric bicycle (e-bike). Its battery /motor assisted speed it's 25km/hr. It's so efficient and reliable. I presently live in germany and that is what i use in commuting my place of work daily. I only use my car on sunday, and when i am travelling long distance I use public transport.
But do you have the money? I bought mine(brand new) for 2300 euros (approximately 920,000 when converted to naira in black market) wink But you can see far cheaper ones, below 1000 euros, depending on the brand and capacity.

But on a second thought, do we have a developed bicycle route/ road in Nigeria? OP, you have to seriously put ur safety into consideration, especially considering the fact that most motorist don't respect cyclist in Nigeria and many drivers are even untrained.
Thanks so much. I appreciate. Nigeria is not as developed as Germany so no route for bicycles and bikes. But I intend taking the necessary cautions when I get it.
The e-bicycle is on the high side considering my budget.
Re: A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A by Nobody: 11:33pm On Jul 29, 2016
YOLO1:

Thanks bro. I appreciate

Okay, this is serious cheesy
...and did not start on this thread, me being called male, bro, etc
I dunno why you would think otherwise, but, I am a woman...happily so too
Thank you!!!!!
Lol
Seriously, not a bro
Cheers

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A by YOLO1(m): 11:34pm On Jul 29, 2016
Chukzyfcb:
OP forget all these long talk. Here's the real deal.
Go to alaba market if u are in lagos, go to the store of those who sell Uk used bicycle. Buy one, preferably a Hybrid or a Mountain bike. Most of the pics u posted here are road bike, stay away from such bikes coz of your back.
Those bikes shudn't cost you more than 15,000 naira for the Uk used. As for speed, it depends on you set the gear......
Get a Mountain bike, it has shock absorbers, fat tyres for our bumpy roads & its fast enough. I ride one daily for my workout, so I know wtsap
Thanks so much. I appreciate. Like what range of gear would you advice me to get?
Re: A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A by YOLO1(m): 11:36pm On Jul 29, 2016
AgricAgroallied:
May God bless you.You're wonderful!
Why can't you think of motorcycle.It's also of low maintenance cost.
Go for the small size type like super cub(Honda).
Safety is worth considering.Who knows if at the moment your car is the next to be shipped.
Thanks Bro. I appreciate.
Re: A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A by YOLO1(m): 11:41pm On Jul 29, 2016
Emeka71:
Don't mind all those giving you contrary advise about accident and sweating to work; I once reasoned like you and I bought a bicycle for N12,500.00 in November 2014 and I ride to work on daily basis. You don't need helmet to ride a bicycle; what you need is confidence; the truth is that you can't be involved with motorist because bicycle has lane. I even look and feel healthier and the bicycle gives Me pleasure.
Thanks so much. I appreciate
Re: A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A by YOLO1(m): 11:42pm On Jul 29, 2016
Emeka71:
@YOLO1 ; I also want to add that is advisable you buy from an engineers shop (a good bicycle engineer) they can know your needs you can even get a travelling bicycle and they can always fix whatever fault the bicycle has. The bicycle is even the safest means of transportation contrary to what many think that is risky; you just need to adjust your bicycle to your size. The bicycle shall surely save you transport; the thing has saved Me over N700,000.00 because I now use bicycle wherever I'm going. If you buy bicycle; you'll enjoy the bicycle as long as you're the owner.
Thanks so much. I appreciate. Like how long do you ride a day? And don't you get tired when you get to work?
Re: A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A by Chukzyfcb(m): 11:54pm On Jul 29, 2016
YOLO1:

Thanks so much. I appreciate. Like what range of gear would you advice me to get?
Anny gear would do. You are not in a speed competition. Just get a good fitting bike that's strong & you are good to go. Over time u'll select the gear that fits you best.
I like to ride with a selected hard gear (chain is on the Biggest wheel in front & 2nd smallest wheel at the back). I'v been training on it for long, so its my preferred style. A 90RPM (rotation per minute) on that selected gear gets my FLYIIINGGG...I don't need to pedal so hard, but I'll move faster than someone pedalinng faster (like one doing 100RPM) on an easy gear. #so just get a bike with any speed gear, over time u'll find ur comfort zone with the bike #You'll still flyyy when u must hv built ur leg muscles
Re: A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A by Emeka71(m): 8:03am On Jul 30, 2016
YOLO1:

Thanks so much. I appreciate. Like how long do you ride a day? And don't you get tired when you get to work?
I ride from Egbeda to Mongoro; I spend about 18 minutes on the road. I get to work earlier than anbody. I don't get tired; instead I have the desire to continue riding longer distances; sometimes I even go to check other places before others arrive; you can wear a Tea-shirt or sports wear so you don't sweat besides the weather nowadays is cool and favours bicycling. BTW I even travel to Sango-Otta with bicycle and in around 1 hour I have gotten to where I am going I am refreshed and energized. The only thing is eat little good food and drink water.

4 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A by Emeka71(m): 8:21am On Jul 30, 2016
Chukzyfcb:

Anny gear would do. You are not in a speed competition. Just get a good fitting bike that's strong & you are good to go. Over time u'll select the gear that fits you best.
I like to ride with a selected hard gear (chain is on the Biggest wheel in front & 2nd smallest wheel at the back). I'v been training on it for long, so its my preferred style. A 90RPM (rotation per minute) on that selected gear gets my FLYIIINGGG...I don't need to pedal so hard, but I'll move faster than someone pedalinng faster (like one doing 100RPM) on an easy gear. #so just get a bike with any speed gear, over time u'll find ur comfort zone with the bike #You'll still flyyy when u must hv built ur leg muscles
On the highway I do gear 5 level 2 (2nd front wheel); when I want to climb hill I switch to gear2 and afterwards back to gear 5 I also like your style gear 6 level 3.
Re: A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A by glossy6(f): 9:23am On Jul 30, 2016
@Op, come to Alaba Int'l or Alaba Rago and get your choice.
Re: A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A by pdudy: 7:57pm On Jul 30, 2016
YOLO1:

How often do you ride it? And how has been your experience since you started riding?

I ride it at least twice every week. It's a nice bike. Very light but strong. Everything shifts well, and the ride is smooth and very fast. I average about 30km/hr on it and ride about 72 miles every week on it.
Re: A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A by Ninilowo(m): 12:06am On Jul 31, 2016
Why can't you just relocate to an area very close to ur place of work instead of all this bicycle wahala?
Re: A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A by asids55: 8:11am On Jul 31, 2016
Emeka71:
I ride from Egbeda to Mongoro; I spend about 18 minutes on the road. I get to work earlier than anbody. I don't get tired; instead I have the desire to continue riding longer distances; sometimes I even go to check other places before others arrive; you can wear a Tea-shirt or sports wear so you don't sweat besides the weather nowadays is cool and favours bicycling. BTW I even travel to Sango-Otta with bicycle and in around 1 hour I have gotten to where I am going I am refreshed and energized. The only thing is eat little good food and drink water.

mehnn..u dey try ohh..how u dey cope cycling from dopemu to mangoro..dat express dey fear me pass anything..
Re: A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A by Emeka71(m): 8:41am On Jul 31, 2016
asids55:

mehnn..u dey try ohh..how u dey cope cycling from dopemu to mangoro..dat express dey fear me pass anything..
That particular express is what I fear initially with all okada, danfo, molue,BRT running like mad people; in fact that express is the toughest place to ride bicycle. The thing there is you should have confidence and make sure your brakes are working.
Re: A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A by alaskido(m): 11:03am On Aug 02, 2016
Chukzyfcb:

Na lie. My morning workout is majorly cycling. & I cycle on the road, never gotten hit by a car in my 3yrs of cycling. A cyclist needs excellent cordination, before you make a move a good cyclist has already calculated the possible movt of a motorist & taken decision. People who fear cycling on lagos route are those who lack road confidence on bike like you.

My guy, take am easy now. Why your blood dey hot? I guess you cycle only on VGC and Banana Island. Try come cycle for Mushin, Oyingbo and Ikorodu Road. You will know the difference between 6 and half a dozen. I will never be caught on a bike on Lagos roads. grin grin
Re: A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A by Chukzyfcb(m): 1:14pm On Aug 03, 2016
alaskido:

My guy, take am easy now. Why your blood dey hot? I guess you cycle only on VGC and Banana Island. Try come cycle for Mushin, Oyingbo and Ikorodu Road. You will know the difference between 6 and half a dozen. I will never be caught on a bike on Lagos roads. grin grin
Well u'v a point, I cycle within festac. Cars don't move as crazy as it would @ oyingbo or mushin
Re: A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A by pillarmaria(m): 12:07pm On Mar 10, 2018
This thread is quite enlightening ......
please do we have any cycling club in port Harcourt?
Re: A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A by pillarmaria(m): 12:08pm On Mar 10, 2018
This thread is quite enlightening ......
please do we have any cycling club in port Harcourt?
Re: A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A by aolarbaal: 5:16pm On Oct 06, 2018
When you are buying a bicycle, you should look upon something very wisely,
(especially if this is your first bicycle.)
I can tell you some at least as much I have learned from https://sportsreviewpro.com/best-hybrid-bikes-under-500/

Let's see what you should see,
1. If the bicycle is on your size
2.Even If the bicycle is not of your size, if it can refold to your size.
3. Always go for the latest model .
4. Don't judge a bicycle by color.
Re: A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A by okikiosibodu(m): 2:03am On Apr 26, 2020
Princelegacylemoha:
You are good to go with this
Good evening... I am considering changing my bike (size 26).. I don't mind if you can be of help... Is this an hybrid bike quoted?
Also what are the major differences between a mountain bike and hybrid, in terms of performance?
Can you also give tips on factors to consider when choosing between size 26 and 28
What is the price range of hybrid bikes for size 26 and 28?
Cc: Hemartins, MadCow1, Mrsirdam, Guyman02, Chukzyfcb, merahki, Emeka71, everydayperson, daroz, doe
Re: A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A by hemartins(m): 9:37am On Apr 26, 2020
okikiosibodu:

Good evening... I am considering changing my bike (size 26).. I don't mind if you can be of help... Is this an hybrid bike quoted?
Also what are the major differences between a mountain bike and hybrid, in terms of performance?
Can you also give tips on factors to consider when choosing between size 26 and 28
Cc: Hemartins, MadCow1, Mrsirdam, Guyman02, Chukzyfcb, merahki, Emeka71, everydayperson, daroz, doe

Mountain bike are designed for rough terrain, potholes, rails and other urban roads. They are mostly heavy with wide and rough tires. They are built to be roughly used and reliable in all weather. You expend more energy riding a mountain bike.

Hybrid bicycles are the luxury liners of bicycle designs, Some comes with wide tires but not as a mountain bike. It is faster but less stable.
They are suitable for smooth roads and less rough road.
Re: A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A by Nobody: 10:12am On Apr 26, 2020
okikiosibodu:

Good morning
What a sophisticated mention! cheesy
I am ?flattered that someone feels I know about bicycles like this, much rather than the way everyone would think you so intelligent that they would register you for JAMB, meanwhile you are in primary 5 and worried about common entrance the next year! cry or worse even.

I even don’t remember the bikes I bought in the UK. They were refurbished and beautiful is all I know, lol. I took the recommendation of the person that was teaching me how to ride with regards to specifications. I went with him to a shop and I paid. I returned them because the shipping fees were more than what I bought the bikes for. (This consideration I regretted because I could afford to pay that then, now I have no bikes, don’t ride, that “bike” has sailed)
When I don’t even know the components of a car and don’t even know how to gauge the oil and more!
So unfair mentioning me here with men who are machine freaks cheesy shocked
Cheers, and I hope you buy a bike that is both beauty and beast tongue
Re: A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A by Nobody: 10:14am On Apr 26, 2020
YOLO1:

Thanks bro. I appreciate

Oh I see why I got a mention
I am a sis ooo, not a bro
(Runs, no, flies away from this testosterone-ey thread!)
Re: A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A by okikiosibodu(m): 10:21am On Apr 26, 2020
hemartins:

Mountain bike are designed for rough terrain, potholes, rails and other urban roads. They are mostly heavy with wide and rough tires. They are built to be roughly used and reliable in all weather. You expend more energy riding a mountain bike.

Hybrid bicycles are the luxury liners of bicycle designs, Some comes with wide tires but not as a mountain bike. It is faster but less stable.
They are suitable for smooth roads and less rough road.
Pls can you shed more light on how you mean by the bolded part?
Do you have an idea how much tokunbo costs in Nigeria here (so I can know how to bargain with sellers here)
The pix below, is it hybrid or road bike? How does one tell them apart (basically I use the handle to differentiate... The tires could be same in some pix that in have seen, so also their seats).
Also is it okay if we can connect on WhatsApp?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

FREE-COMPREHENSIVE/PREMIUM VEHICLE HISTORY REPORT(VIN CHECK)+ACCIDENT PHOTOS / »»» Neat Mazda 626 99 Model @ N550k Negotiable ««« / Toyota Corolla 2009 Toks For Sale @ 2.6M

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.