Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,367 members, 7,829,935 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:55 PM

A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A - Autos (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A (17254 Views)

My Very Clean Tokunboh 2005 Mercedes Benz E240 Needs A New Home / Would You Buy This Bicycle For ₦3 Million ? / Mercedes Unveil Their Latest Design “the Myabach Cabriolet”-see The Features. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A by okikiosibodu(m): 10:26am On Apr 26, 2020
merahki:

Good morning
What a sophisticated mention! cheesy
I am ?flattered that someone feels I know about bicycles like this, much rather than the way everyone would think you so intelligent that they would register you for JAMB, meanwhile you are in primary 5 and worried about common entrance the next year! cry or worse even.

I even don’t remember the bikes I bought in the UK. They were refurbished and beautiful is all I know, lol. I took the recommendation of the person that was teaching me how to ride with regards to specifications. I went with him to a shop and I paid. I returned them because the shipping fees were more than what I bought the bikes for. (This consideration I regretted because I could afford to pay that then, now I have no bikes, don’t ride, that “bike” has sailed)
When I don’t even know the components of a car and don’t even know how to gauge the oil and more!
So unfair mentioning me here with men who are machine freaks cheesy shocked
Cheers, and I hope you buy a bike that is both beauty and beast tongue
Hehehehe. Your choice of words is an impeccable trait to envy. I enjoyed reading it grin
Thank you for your response though, it is greatly appreciated

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A by hemartins(m): 10:37am On Apr 26, 2020
okikiosibodu:

Pls can you shed more light on how you mean by the bolded part?
Do you have an idea how much tokunbo costs in Nigeria here (so I can know how to bargain with sellers here)
The pix below, is it hybrid or road bike? How does one tell them apart (basically I use the handle to differentiate... The tires could be same in some pix that in have seen, so also their seats).
Also is it okay if we can connect on WhatsApp?

The picture is an electronic bike.
And it's good for road trips.
The wider a tire is, the more stable it is except you are a professional.
You can get something like the picture below but not the electronic version. A brand new electronic version might cost up to 500k.

A tokumbo bike ( not electronic) might range from 25k to 50k in Lagos.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A by okikiosibodu(m): 10:41am On Apr 26, 2020
hemartins:

The picture is an electronic bike.
And it's good for road trips.
The wider a tire is, the more stable it is except you are a professional.
You can get something like the picture below but not the electronic version. A brand new electronic version might cost up to 500k.

A tokumbo bike ( not electronic) might range from 25k to 50k in Lagos.
Are you comfortable with us chatting on WhatsApp?
... Kindly like the post after getting it so I can take it off.
I have quite some questions to ask
Re: A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A by hemartins(m): 12:02pm On Apr 26, 2020
okikiosibodu:

Are you comfortable with us chatting on WhatsApp?
. Kindly like the post after getting it so I can take it off.
I have quite some questions to ask

Take off your number. I'd chat you up in the evening. Kinda busy now.
Re: A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A by okikiosibodu(m): 12:16pm On Apr 26, 2020
hemartins:

Take off your number. I'd chat you up in the evening. Kinda busy now.
Will be expecting. I really appreciate
Re: A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A by Nobody: 9:13pm On Apr 27, 2020
okikiosibodu:

Hehehehe. Your choice of words is an impeccable trait to envy. I enjoyed reading it grin
Thank you for your response though, it is greatly appreciated

Lol
Thanks, and you are welcome.
Of course I have to be visiting the thread from time to time now. To see(read about) what you got, and how, etc
Cheers

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A by okikiosibodu(m): 9:25pm On Apr 27, 2020
merahki:

Lol
Thanks, and you are welcome.
Of course I have to be visiting the thread from time to time now. To see(read about) what you got, and how, etc
Cheers
I am still torn apart between making a pick among this three option... I don't mind you helping out, and stating the reason for the choice

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A by Nobody: 10:57pm On Apr 27, 2020
okikiosibodu:

I am still torn apart between making a pick among this three option... I don't mind yoy helpingniur, and stating the reason for the choice

I will reply as soon as I can, so I can study them well.
Maybe tomorrow?
Take care

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A by okikiosibodu(m): 11:51am On Apr 28, 2020
merahki:

I will reply as soon as I can, so I can study them well.
Maybe tomorrow?
Take care
Tip:
First pix... The bike is light and that translate to more speed though less rugged
3rd pic: his shock absorber (spring) at the rear and then front of the bike, so is good for bumpy ride. It has a solid frame too, which makes it rugged. It however will have more weight which translates to more energy burnt when trying to propel it (eventhough it has gears)
2nd pix is almst like the first
I am avoiding the pix below totally for safety reasons. Upon impact, the "nuts" will experience a colossal collision with the horizontal bar... You don't want me limping home while pushing my bicycle after an "accident" grin

Re: A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A by Nobody: 12:18pm On Apr 28, 2020
okikiosibodu:

Tip:
First pix... The bike is light and that translate to more speed though less rugged
3rd pic: his shock absorber (spring) at the rear and then front of the bike, so is good for bumpy ride. It has a solid frame too, which makes it rugged. It however will have more weight which translates to more energy burnt when trying to propel it (eventhough it has gears)
2nd pix is almst like the first
I am avoiding the pix below totally for safety reasons. Upon impact, the "nuts" will experience a colossal collision with the horizontal bar... You don't want me limping home while pushing my bicycle after an "accident" grin

Good day
Yesterday I was torn between Bikes 1 and 3. Number 2 refused to get in my heart. But with the “expo” you gave I have to choose 3.
Let’s nwayoly (quietly) keep avoiding the one you have been avoiding then, lol!
I choose Bike 3
Let’s read from others too
Re: A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A by okikiosibodu(m): 12:22pm On Apr 28, 2020
merahki:

Good day
Yesterday I was torn between Bikes 1 and 3. Number 2 refused to get in my heart. But with the “expo” you gave I have to choose 3.
Let’s nwayoly (quietly) keep avoiding the one you have been avoiding then, lol!
I choose Bike 3
Let’s read from others too
Hehehehe.
Good afternoon, pardon my manners. After lockdown, I will be on price hunt. I pray they all treat me well, being their first customer in 5weeks grin

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A by Nobody: 12:28pm On Apr 28, 2020
okikiosibodu:

Hehehehe.
Good after, noardin my manners. After lockdown, I will be on price hunt. I pray they all treat me well, being their first customer in 5weeks grin

cheesy
There’s something in this logic! cool
They will be kind, I believe.
Target being really early with the buying, you may get a bonus!

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A by okikiosibodu(m): 10:19pm On May 02, 2020
I think I have finally made up my mind... A mountain bike is a better option for me to the hybrid counter part, owing to the rough terrain I will be plying. I made a few research this evening ont the two, permit me to share some of my findings...
Hybrid bike usually have fixed components, thought some designs come with front suspension and very few come with rear suspension, and this makes them fast coupled with their light weights and narrow wheels which helps with increased surface area (physics). A downside to this however is the tire and more importantly the tube getting damaged when the rider bumps into surfaces with shape edges. The tube can get burst (leaving two openings at on the tube like a snake bite, on the parts that contacts with the rim owing to impact). Their rims are also fragile and Could bend when rider bumps into potholes

https://www.liveabout.com/what-is-a-pinch-flat-365617

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A by okikiosibodu(m): 10:36pm On May 02, 2020
Mountains bikes on the other hand offers more comfort over speed and is ideal for bumpy terrain
Hemartins, its true that mountain bikes are not as fast as hybrid owing the suspension, and this has physics in play. When a rider runs into a bump, the center of gravity is disrupted, but the rear suspension helps the rider regain stability as the rear bounces.. This however has a negative effect on the initial momentum of the bike as pressure gets lifted and added to the rear wheel in quick succession (though for a brief moment). This slows down the bike... For more clarification, you can check out this url
https://www.liveabout.com/shocks-and-suspension-on-my-mountain-bike-365640
I have just two concerns now.... Getting the right size for me... I feel size 26 is quite small for me and feel like upgrading to size 28, I don't know if it won't be too big for me? I have never riden one, so I really can't say. The formula I am seeing online is quite confusing cos Height is taken into consideration but I don't know my height (I am between 160-170cm... I sint knw the precise one unless I improvise (unfortunately, no tape rule at my disposal). I also read online that a mountain bike rider needs more clearance between his crouch area and the horizontak bar, more than an hybrid rider does, nor safety purpose... Any tip for me?
2.... How do I prevent damage to the front suspension, cos that was the beginning of the end for my present bike
Cc: Merahki

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A by okikiosibodu(m): 8:24am On May 09, 2020
merahki:

cheesy
There’s something in this logic! cool
They will be kind, I believe.
Target being really early with the buying, you may get a bonus!
Update..... For that particular bike, I discovered it belongs to the category or "racing bicycle" or "racer bike" as some sellers call it, but e no dey Google. The cheapest I saw it for, was 26k online (jiji), and it is more expensive in offline store, as many sellers insisted on 35k as their last price.
I made enquiries from an offline trader around my place who hinted me that I can get it really cheap at the sea port.... Apapa to be precise.
I went there yesterday to pick up an imported vehicle for sale and made enquires around. I was informed that I can get that precise bike between 7-9k if I happen to see anyone offloading it from container (with 9k being a really neat one), and then my scout was on for it. I didn't see yesterday, as the port workers maintained we got to the port really early and suggested I patronise the aboki starting around there but should be rest assured it won't come cheap
While scouting, I saw one wit deflated tires, no cables whatsoever, nd no mud flaps. But the gear selectors seems to be working (it was rotating with ease and was giving the clicking sound). The paint works were wearing off, and then seller insisted on 15k. He agreed to 14k when someone intervened but when it was time to pay, he insisted on 15k again... It was a risk on my end cos I don't knw if the tube of the tire was good, cos buying a new one to it will shoot up my total cost.
I also noticed a missing "washer" around the pedal side of bicycle and was making it shake
Cc: Hemartins, Merahki, Atheistandproud, Jboixxx, Divinegrace123

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A by okikiosibodu(m): 8:38am On May 09, 2020
I walked away from the deal and tried another one who maintained 17k was his last offer. I walked away as if I was doing shakara but was paying full attention in anticipation that he wil call me back, but he never did.
I did a lil audit in my head and discovered it has mudflap, seat is bad and that can be replaced with that of my old bike, and it had good paint works, I managed to tactically knock off 2k on it, bringing it down to 15k .
Took it to a local repairer at home and bought front basket to it, changed the gear selector around the pedal region (the one there had 7 selectors instead of the conventional 3- gear selectors... It was obviously modified) to the one on my old bike, so also it's bell, and then did general servicing. Everything there costed me 2,500n according to the repairer. I paid 3k however to compensate the time he devoted to it.... More than 2hrs,cos I was there with him in his work shop.

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A by okikiosibodu(m): 8:45am On May 09, 2020
So total cost of acquisition is about 18k as at now... But might need to change the rear gear selector too cos it a lil loose and is not giving off the click sound, so I really can't tell if it has adjusted to the new gear or not, unless I look down or pedal abit.. A pair of gear selector (they don't sell one) is 1,500, and one tire costs 2000... So we can say we are looking at 21,500 as total cost to make it great. The bicycle is in great condition though... The brakes are great, as the brake locks (been ages I last rode a bicycle that locks the rear wheel.... I love the drag sound it makes when I squeeze on the rear brake grin I know it will wear off the tire easily, but let me rock it while offer lasts, since I will be changing it anyways). The brake shoes too are new. Will be getting the upright bar to the edges of the handle, my repairer asked me to check back today
I hope I didn't bore you too much with my details
Here is old vs new bicycle

3 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A by okikiosibodu(m): 9:01am On May 09, 2020
As regards the size, I settled for size 26, instead of 28 I initially wanted to go for cos I discovered size 28 is really big. Once went to price one from a local seller. It was made of carbon-fibre (they are light weightied and yet very strong, but expensive) and the paint works were great, as if it was baked...

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A by princecemo(m): 8:25pm On May 29, 2020
Heavy duty Bicycle
Brand New

Re: A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A by Nobody: 8:34pm On May 29, 2020
Bosses in the house I greet you all.

I also want to acquire a Tokunbo bicycle, I don't know where to get it cheaper other than apapa which I can't be able to go there tomorrow but if anyone can recommend anywhere else to get it I'll be glad.
Re: A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A by NisforNicky: 9:59am On Mar 06, 2021
okikiosibodu:
As regards the size, I settled for size 26, instead of 28 I initially wanted to go for cos I discovered size 28 is really big. Once went to price one from a local seller. It was made of carbon-fibre (they are light weightied and yet very strong, but expensive) and the paint works were great, as if it was baked...

hi bro

I am really interested in getting a bicycle presently. not in Lagos, so I may need your help with aquireing one pls.

can I send a pm request

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A by okikiosibodu(m): 8:49pm On Mar 10, 2021
NisforNicky:

hi bro

I am really interested in getting a bicycle presently. not in Lagos, so I may need your help with aquireing one pls.

can I send a pm request
It's fine bro.. I really don't have a plug for affordable ones, but j can connect you to some ibo guys in Fadeyi that I know when I was there. They are tokunbo nd close to new, and they range from 25k-35k for regular bike, and some nice road bikes with hydraulics brake (not the regular cable) goes for around 95k..
Re: A Nairalander Needs A Bicycle (what Are The Features To Look For When Getting A by Elaine55f: 6:06pm On Apr 28, 2022
How nice that mountain bike, it must be wonderful to ride one after returning from my school!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

»»» Neat Mazda 626 99 Model @ N550k Negotiable ««« / Toyota Corolla 2009 Toks For Sale @ 2.6M / Car Vacuum Cleaner

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.