Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,999 members, 7,814,411 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:28 PM

July 1966 Counter-coup: Fajuyi’s Aides Knew About The Coup But Betrayed Him –sis - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / July 1966 Counter-coup: Fajuyi’s Aides Knew About The Coup But Betrayed Him –sis (28815 Views)

The Palm Tree Where Ironsi, Fajuyi Were Killed • Oyo Govt To Immortalise Them / Murtala As Leader Of The July 1966 Mutiny Wanted The North To Seccede / The Coup Speech That Overthrew Buhari On August 27, 1985… (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: July 1966 Counter-coup: Fajuyi’s Aides Knew About The Coup But Betrayed Him –sis by Floyd45(m): 5:13pm On Jul 30, 2016
[quote author=isnovic post=48028779]

Thanks for the reference.
Just finished devouring the master piece.

How can i also lay my hands on this book. Soft or hard copy? I'll really prefer a hard copy.
Thanks

1 Like

Re: July 1966 Counter-coup: Fajuyi’s Aides Knew About The Coup But Betrayed Him –sis by Deen77: 5:13pm On Jul 30, 2016
specialadviser5:
True picture of Nigerian., igbos the first coup plotters, yoruba stood by igbo president to the point of death and hausas the betrayals.

That is why Ibo called Yoruba coward.
Re: July 1966 Counter-coup: Fajuyi’s Aides Knew About The Coup But Betrayed Him –sis by Floyd45(m): 5:19pm On Jul 30, 2016
isnovic:

This book is a must read, to clear all grey areas of our history and to straighten all attempts to re-write history by these self serving fathers Azikiwe, Awolowo, Sardauna and Tafewa Balewa to claim heroes of our shared history.....

In fact am glad I read the book and thanks.

Fajuyi was a soldier's soldier. You can only follow someone to death if you love him to his/her soul or you are professionally loyal to death.

He was the later and yes he is a Soldier's soldier.

How can i lay my hands on this book? Did you read a soft or hard copy?
Re: July 1966 Counter-coup: Fajuyi’s Aides Knew About The Coup But Betrayed Him –sis by obinoral1179(m): 5:19pm On Jul 30, 2016
[quote author=kettykin post=48018744]If Aguiyi-Ironsi didn’t depend on the advice of Fajuyi if he did not even trust his assurance, he would have lived.
Another lesson learnt here is that the day any President meets for peace with yoruba obas becomes his last in power ask Goodluck Jonathan [/quote ] the day anybody decide to call yorubas elders rascal and rogue, that will be the end of that person. Ask goodluck ebele jonathan....
Re: July 1966 Counter-coup: Fajuyi’s Aides Knew About The Coup But Betrayed Him –sis by Chukazu: 5:26pm On Jul 30, 2016
specialadviser5:
True picture of Nigerian., igbos the first coup plotters, yoruba stood by igbo president to the point of death and hausas the betrayals.

Very interesting... so Nzokwu, from Delta state is an igbo man because it has to do with evil, but when a Delta man does good you call him a Niger Deltan?

2 Likes

Re: July 1966 Counter-coup: Fajuyi’s Aides Knew About The Coup But Betrayed Him –sis by adams009: 5:30pm On Jul 30, 2016
thotsofnaij:

Nigerian nationalistic soldiers from all the country including yorubas and northerners the first coup plotters and and hausas the betrayals

How does the first coup look nationalistic when the arrow heads that plot & executed the coup were Igbos? They target northerns and Yoruba's soldiers and civilians leaders only?
Igbos first introduced ethnicity and tribalism in Nigeria since the Jan 15th 1966 coup. This was the reason why Igbos are behind the Hausa's and the Yoruba's in Nigeria today

2 Likes

Re: July 1966 Counter-coup: Fajuyi’s Aides Knew About The Coup But Betrayed Him –sis by ozoneboy(m): 5:58pm On Jul 30, 2016
seunmsg:

You obviously don't know much about Nigeria and her history. How can a chief of staff turn around and kill his principal and you are here telling me others are the tribalist and not people like Ifeajuna?

Igbos are the most tribalistic folks in this country. They are only loyal to their individual greed and selfishness. Go to any organisation, private or public where an Igbo person is the head, crass favouritism and tribalism is always the order of the day.

there is no tribe in the world more tribalistic than the yaribas.

2 Likes

Re: July 1966 Counter-coup: Fajuyi’s Aides Knew About The Coup But Betrayed Him –sis by adams009: 6:09pm On Jul 30, 2016
MyFlair:

Why call 1966 coup Igbo coup? I think this is simply military coup. Why not call babagida and buhari's coup Hausa coup?

Then, July 1966 coup should simply be called Military coup
Re: July 1966 Counter-coup: Fajuyi’s Aides Knew About The Coup But Betrayed Him –sis by Kc3000: 6:09pm On Jul 30, 2016
Let's get one thing straight; Fajuyi did not ask to be killed with Ironsi. He was also a target of the coup plotters. Thus, he was killed just like Ironsi.
Re: July 1966 Counter-coup: Fajuyi’s Aides Knew About The Coup But Betrayed Him –sis by otitokoroleti: 6:31pm On Jul 30, 2016
Emu4life:
i no sabi wetn u dey talk, therefore d same to u.
lol, obo laagido
Re: July 1966 Counter-coup: Fajuyi’s Aides Knew About The Coup But Betrayed Him –sis by kikies(m): 7:04pm On Jul 30, 2016
gartamanta:
Agu-Iyi Ironsi could have returned to Lagos with the same Helicopter he came with but Fajuyi assured him of his safety and he stayed. No doubt that Fajuyi deserves commendation for standing by his Boss till the end. But the tragedy of Fajuyi's death is that it exposed the Yoruba nation as a people who suffer from a perennial fear of the North. A Yoruba man and Governor of the Western Region is kidnapped and slaughtered but Yorubas did nothing. To this day, not one Yoruba man has ever called out the Northerners for killing Fajuyi. General Danjuma who killed Fajuyi is still highly regarded by Yorubas. 20 years later, again the Northerners kidnapp and slaughter MKO in a repeat performance. What did the Yorubas do? Nothing just as in the case of Fajuyi. Yoruba subservience to the North is so bad that the Yorubas will actually attack anyone who stands up the North such as Ojukwu, FFK and even Fayose. A fine Yoruba Solidier like Fajuyi was killed but his death was drowned out because it was Notherners that did the killing. If it had been Igbos who killed Fajuyi, that's when the Yorubas would have known how to talk.

Bt d IBO's killed Ademulegun in d January coup,did d Yoruba's take offence den?

1 Like

Re: July 1966 Counter-coup: Fajuyi’s Aides Knew About The Coup But Betrayed Him –sis by chilltoo(m): 7:17pm On Jul 30, 2016
The point is " Who started this war " Yoruba,Hausa or Igbogbo? Who started the killings ,maiming and etc.
If there was no 1st coup,will there be any second or third,we will continue to laments these till forever comes. All our leaders except some faithful ones are crooked
Re: July 1966 Counter-coup: Fajuyi’s Aides Knew About The Coup But Betrayed Him –sis by CONFAMA: 7:38pm On Jul 30, 2016
pazienza:

Sorry to disappoint you. We don't play hero worship in Igboland, and even if we did, Ironsi is far from being a Hero. His naivety cost Ndiigbo so much in blood. We will not sit and watch his widow and children trade our history for contracts and political appointments in Nigeria.

Your lack of leaders or succinctly put heros is the main problem of igbos politically today.

There is not one igbo man alive today that can be said re-assuredly to gain unanimous support from his tribesmen to strive for the presidency. You don't trust yourselves. You will rather back a northerner, yoruba or ijaw man as if your lives depended on it.

4 Likes

Re: July 1966 Counter-coup: Fajuyi’s Aides Knew About The Coup But Betrayed Him –sis by CONFAMA: 7:39pm On Jul 30, 2016
chilltoo:
The point is " Who started this war " Yoruba,Hausa or Igbogbo? Who started the killings ,maiming and etc.
If there was no 1st coup,will there be any second or third,we will continue to laments these till forever comes. All our leaders except some faithful ones are crooked

Don't mind those crooked flat headed liars
Re: July 1966 Counter-coup: Fajuyi’s Aides Knew About The Coup But Betrayed Him –sis by CONFAMA: 7:41pm On Jul 30, 2016
chilltoo:

Don't mind those crooked flat headed liars. They don't have the ability to reason past their nose
Re: July 1966 Counter-coup: Fajuyi’s Aides Knew About The Coup But Betrayed Him –sis by naijafox(m): 8:24pm On Jul 30, 2016
MeoClark:

only if they can see the light for once. the most inactive gullible tribe. no notable influence in the history of Nigeria. just betrayal upon betrayal everyday.

Yeah u just nailed it, they keep on deceiving and betraying the interest of us all
Re: July 1966 Counter-coup: Fajuyi’s Aides Knew About The Coup But Betrayed Him –sis by pamcode(m): 8:30pm On Jul 30, 2016
Omoluabi16:
I can't fathom. did Nzeogwu et. al wipe off northern officers without expecting some dire consequences? If I could go back in time, I would.. just to check the mindset and motive of every actor in those perilous times. I hate all these stories, too many contrasting. ojukwu, banjo, ifeajuna, nzeogwu, all dead. Was there really wide spread corruption in the 60's that prompted these actions? We tend to deny and suppress Nigerian history, little wonder the country is stagnant.Mistrust, tribalism is still very present. the loss of 3m lives in the war is extremely unfortunate..how do you kill off a people because you want to bring them back? it just doesn't make sense. so many things don't add up. was banjo really a saboteur? God! lack of technology didn't help us at all. The biafran war is a painful experience no country should go through again, but the conditions capable of triggering such occurrences are still very much present. May God help us all! #NoToTribalism.
I think you should try and read Achebe's There was a country. According to him Major kaduna Nzeogwu plotted the coup to rid the country of corrupt politicians and planned to give an explanation, unfortunately the coup in Lagos failed so they were not able to use the Nigerian broadcasting corp. In fact Achebe made it clear Major Nzeogwu was just Igbo in Name, he actually lived most of his life in the north(kaduna) and behaved like a northerner which was how he got the name kaduna as a nickname.

2 Likes

Re: July 1966 Counter-coup: Fajuyi’s Aides Knew About The Coup But Betrayed Him –sis by VULCAN(m): 8:34pm On Jul 30, 2016
@johnmartus

You have a wicked heart. Coupled with complete ignorance about your country's past. If it is arsenal or so you will know the history.

FYI Ironsi is the reason the first coup(termed Igbo coup failed). He defeated the coupists even though they were fellow igbos.

As someone has said above; he was too weak to execute those officers and that is a major factor in what led to the counter coup and his and fajuyis death. So sad.

That you are commenting on such a sensitive topic without a shred of knowledge that is available on the internet is a mark against you. Go and read

johnmartus:
well I blame fajuyi for entrusted his life to a rebellion soldier when you killed you shall be kill too aguiyi deserve death
Re: July 1966 Counter-coup: Fajuyi’s Aides Knew About The Coup But Betrayed Him –sis by chernest2002: 9:34pm On Jul 30, 2016
If only the south will unite, ibos and Yorubas are more human than the northern beheaders.
Re: July 1966 Counter-coup: Fajuyi’s Aides Knew About The Coup But Betrayed Him –sis by Nobody: 9:41pm On Jul 30, 2016
adams009:

How does the first coup look nationalistic when the arrow heads that plot & executed the coup were Igbos? They target northerns and Yoruba's soldiers and civilians leaders only?
Igbos first introduced ethnicity and tribalism in Nigeria since the Jan 15th 1966 coup. This was the reason why Igbos are behind the Hausa's and the Yoruba's in Nigeria today

I feel your pain. It must be painful being slaves of the dumb northerners. Tinubu's zombie!

1 Like

Re: July 1966 Counter-coup: Fajuyi’s Aides Knew About The Coup But Betrayed Him –sis by Ugik(m): 10:22pm On Jul 30, 2016
quiet sad tale for Gen fajuyi.been caught in the web..unfortunately,the first coup was conspicuously likened as an Igbo coup and somehow the allegation holds sway as there has been reports by a lieutenant then by name Jeremiah useni claimed to ve heard Igbo officers talk about annihilating hausa officers,which is just an accusation...that coup is the bloodiest coup in history and was all for a perceived ethnic vengance.
surprisingly,the hausa we're the first tribe dat demanded secession which was one of the principal aim of the coup...I hope we learn from d past and c dat ethnicity will continue to be the thing line separating every tribe in this country from unity.
Re: July 1966 Counter-coup: Fajuyi’s Aides Knew About The Coup But Betrayed Him –sis by pazienza(m): 10:31pm On Jul 30, 2016
Ugik:
quiet sad tale for Gen fajuyi.been caught in the web..unfortunately,the first coup was conspicuously likened as an Igbo coup and somehow the allegation holds sway as there has been reports by a lieutenant then by name Jeremiah useni claimed to ve heard Igbo officers talk about annihilating hausa officers,which is just an accusation...that coup is the bloodiest coup in history and was all for a perceived ethnic vengance.
surprisingly,the hausa we're the first tribe dat demanded secession which was one of the principal aim of the coup...I hope we learn from d past and c dat ethnicity will continue to be the thing line separating every tribe in this country from unity.

On the contrary, Fajuyi created the web and he and others got trapped in it.

Fajuyi mentored the January coup plotters, he supported their so called revolutionary plan- Ist web

Fajuyi would go on to shield the Jan Coup plotters from getting executed by Ironsi by continuously pleading their case before the SMC, and before Ironsi- Second Web.

Fajuyi is far from being an innocent man or a martyr the Yorubas are painting him as, just to avoid accepting the fact that he was part and parcel of the coup, and that for that he was murdered by Northern soldiers right in Yorubaland.

But never mind, we will always be here to remind you guys of that.

5 Likes

Re: July 1966 Counter-coup: Fajuyi’s Aides Knew About The Coup But Betrayed Him –sis by kossyablaze(m): 10:47pm On Jul 30, 2016
seunmsg:

Another lie you people need to stop spreading. Awolowo did not betray the Ibos in any way. Repeating this lie severally doesn't make it to be the truth.
Mr man learn it's igbo no ibo...Yoruba ain't spelt yorba
Re: July 1966 Counter-coup: Fajuyi’s Aides Knew About The Coup But Betrayed Him –sis by obainosis4real: 10:57pm On Jul 30, 2016
seunmsg:
Unfortunately, our Ibo brothers who are desperately trying to rewrite history keep denying the occurrence of this event because it does not conform to their bigoted narrative that Yorubas are coward.

Kudos to Col. Fajuyi for that act of real bravery, a true Ekiti man in all ramifications. He paid the ultimate price for his uncompromising loyalty.
rite from time I dnt even believe dat Ekiti people are yorubas d cone brains cus they behave differently even till date we liken dem 2 Igbos, they are Igbo like till date and we will die 4 dem too
Re: July 1966 Counter-coup: Fajuyi’s Aides Knew About The Coup But Betrayed Him –sis by Ugik(m): 10:58pm On Jul 30, 2016
pazienza:

On the contrary, Fajuyi created the web and he and others got trapped in it.

Fajuyi mentored the January coup plotters, he supported their so called revolutionary plan- Ist web

Fajuyi would go on to shield the Jan Coup plotters from getting executed by Ironsi by continuously pleading their case before the SMC, and before Ironsi- Second Web.

Fajuyi is far from being an innocent man or a martyr the Yorubas are painting him as, just to avoid accepting the fact that he was part and parcel of the coup, and that for that he was murdered by Northern soldiers right in Yorubaland.

But never mind, we will always be here to remind you guys of that.

this picture of him you are painting is the exact story the federal govt was telling during the Civil war probably to shield away any form of Yorubaland alliance with the east as the east themselves brought up the issue as a tactical way of gaining west alliance,so who do we belive.Gen Fajuyi sister narrated how it all happened and if he was part of the January coup,they would ve called for his head when they had his house surrounded..but he choose to go with his guest and also ironsi's son recanted this same story as well.thete is no military officer I know that has fingered Fajuyi as an accomplice to the earlier coup...that is enough reason to say he had no hand in the coup since it was even clearly termed an "Igbo coup"

Re: July 1966 Counter-coup: Fajuyi’s Aides Knew About The Coup But Betrayed Him –sis by pazienza(m): 11:12pm On Jul 30, 2016
Ugik:

Who termed it an Igbo coup? clearly not the coup plotters, for even Ademoyega one of the coup plotters disagreed it was Igbo coup.

And it was through him we got to know Fajuyi connection to the coup and why he was top of the July coup plotters hit list.

We also have the account of Ironsi's ADC, Lt col Nwankwo, who was arrested together with Ironsi and Fajuyi to back up our story.

Fajuyi and Ironsi were both arrested, Fajuyi was begging for his own life and no other person's own.

5 Likes

Re: July 1966 Counter-coup: Fajuyi’s Aides Knew About The Coup But Betrayed Him –sis by OBAGADAFFI: 11:31pm On Jul 30, 2016
pazienza:

Who termed it an Igbo coup? clearly not the coup plotters, for even Ademoyega one of the coup plotters disagreed it was Igbo coup.

And it was through him we got to know Fajuyi connection to the coup and why he was top of the July coup plotters hit list.

We also have the account of Ironsi's ADC, Lt col Nwankwo, who was arrested together with Ironsi and Fajuyi to back up our story.

Fajuyi and Ironsi were both arrested, Fajuyi was begging for his own life and no other person's own.

Isn't it amazing that the people(Awo and Fajuyi) you're blaming for the coup were no where near the event.

Awo was in jail and Fajuyi at his command.

Fajuyi won't be dead if Ironsi had stayed in Lagos.

1 Like

Re: July 1966 Counter-coup: Fajuyi’s Aides Knew About The Coup But Betrayed Him –sis by pazienza(m): 11:41pm On Jul 30, 2016
OBAGADAFFI:

Isn't it amazing that people(Awo and Fajuyi) you blaming for the coup were no were near the event.
Awo was in jail and Fajuyi at his command.

nigeriavillagesquare.com/forum/main-square/33870-life-times-colonel-adekunle-fajuyi.html

This is an old topic I was a guest in about this topic in Nigerianvillagesquare of those days.

I had been looking for that thread since yesterday, just found it now.

Go through Maxsiollun responses on that thread to understand the role Fajuyi played in the January coup and the origin of the Fajuyi pleading for Ironsi life propaganda the Yorubas want to force down our necks.

On Awo's case, that my deduction is an exact replica of what Yoruba propaganda machine did to arrive at the coup being an Igbo coup.
They made up the "Igbo coup" propaganda and then went about looking for conjectures and half truths to sell the propaganda.

I could do the same for Awo, and it would look plausible, like I just did. It's all about repeating it often and on, until people start accepting them subconsciously as the truth, and the more Yorubas try to exonerate Awo, the more it would implicate him. This was exactly what the Yoruba media propaganda did to the Igbos with their "Igbo coup" propaganda.

I hope you are now cleared.

5 Likes

Re: July 1966 Counter-coup: Fajuyi’s Aides Knew About The Coup But Betrayed Him –sis by gartamanta: 12:46am On Jul 31, 2016
kikies:

Bt d IBO's killed Ademulegun in d January coup,did d Yoruba's take offence den?

Of course they took offence! Many Yorubas still call out Igbos for killing Northern and western leaders, even here on NL. I'm not even sure who killed Ademulegun, under what circumstances and by what directive. The only thing some people want to hear is that " it was an Igbo coup". But rarely will you ever hear a Yoruba man ever call out the Northerners despite the Northerners killing their Governor of the western region and denying a Yoruba man their rightful place as president twice.

1 Like

Re: July 1966 Counter-coup: Fajuyi’s Aides Knew About The Coup But Betrayed Him –sis by Henrodah(m): 7:16am On Jul 31, 2016
thotsofnaij:

Even BABANGIDA has said this. He said it was not an igbo coup just that it was made to look like that. If the greates coup plotter the country has ever produced can say that. Who are the yoruba's to say otherwise. Freaking cowards

Yes truly Babangida agreed on it.

1 Like

Re: July 1966 Counter-coup: Fajuyi’s Aides Knew About The Coup But Betrayed Him –sis by Henrodah(m): 7:18am On Jul 31, 2016
isnovic:

Cured my ignorance largely.

The causative factors that drove the imprisonment of Awolowo.
The division of the west--by 1964 called the wild west.

The botched first coup planned by Awolowo, the first real plan to get us to safety.

Never new that the first parliamentary fight was in the west, by the western premiere.

The real reason why Azikiwe "betrayed" the Yoruba, by forming alliance with Nigerian National Alliance to form a government in 1965.

How is Azikiwe's love for power made him a sellout to the Eastern premiere and the western premiere and why there was a mutual suspicion till today.

The counter punitive plan by his ally who felt betrayed in the civil war.

The origin of Igbo far out indiscretion and arrogance.

This book is a must read, to clear all grey areas of our history and to straighten all attempts to re-write history by these self serving fathers Azikiwe, Awolowo, Sardauna and Tafewa Balewa to claim heroes of our shared history.....

In fact am glad I read the book and thanks.

Fajuyi was a soldier's soldier. You can only follow someone to death if you love him to his/her soul or you are professionally loyal to death.

He was the later and yes he is a Soldier's soldier.

You so on point boss! I see things differently now about our tumultuous history.
Re: July 1966 Counter-coup: Fajuyi’s Aides Knew About The Coup But Betrayed Him –sis by Henrodah(m): 7:21am On Jul 31, 2016
Etinosajay:

When it comes to history, you don't read one particular book and claim you have read the truth.

Different authorities have different accounts of how it happened. So reading all or most of these books will give you a slight agreement on what really or may have transpired that night in January and the night on July
My Broda! I tried reading about the nigerian counter coup again via wikipedia, on its 50years anniversary, I was shocked when Max Siollun's book was used as a reference of the coup....so bro am not the one really hyping it, but the best search engine called wikipedia. Thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Baga Town Goes To Fishing: Aftermath Of Boko Haram Defeat / Dogara Submits Nomination Form At PDP Headquarters (Photos) / Zahra Buhari Idimi Stuns In Makeup Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.