Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,902 members, 7,814,059 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:29 AM

July 1966 Counter-coup: Fajuyi’s Aides Knew About The Coup But Betrayed Him –sis - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / July 1966 Counter-coup: Fajuyi’s Aides Knew About The Coup But Betrayed Him –sis (28807 Views)

The Palm Tree Where Ironsi, Fajuyi Were Killed • Oyo Govt To Immortalise Them / Murtala As Leader Of The July 1966 Mutiny Wanted The North To Seccede / The Coup Speech That Overthrew Buhari On August 27, 1985… (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: July 1966 Counter-coup: Fajuyi’s Aides Knew About The Coup But Betrayed Him –sis by Henrodah(m): 7:24am On Jul 31, 2016
Lifestone:

While I agree with you in substance, the execution was very poor and casualities lopsided. In such circumstances, it's difficult not to read meanings to it and thats exactly what happened. No matter what you had in mind to do, what matter most at the end is what you are seen to have done. The escape of Okpara for instance was too convenient not to raise an eyebrow.

My Broda I understand where you are coming from, but the truth remains they were many northerners/middle beltans that participated in that Jan 15 coup, but because of their affiliation, they were spared and many went ahead to become known and respected in the nigeria army, but what about the igbos

2 Likes

Re: July 1966 Counter-coup: Fajuyi’s Aides Knew About The Coup But Betrayed Him –sis by Etinosajay(m): 7:49am On Jul 31, 2016
Henrodah:

My Broda! I tried reading about the nigerian counter coup again via wikipedia, on its 50years anniversary, I was shocked when Max Siollun's book was used as a reference of the coup....so bro am not the one really hyping it, but the best search engine called wikipedia. Thanks

Wikipedia is not the best search engine or an authority on anything, that is why they provide references to materials, so that you can do your independent verification, and also that they are not liable for any misinformation.

I have also read the account by one Dr Omoigui and another by one Ben Obi in the 5 majors. That's how to read history.

History is a very subtle and complex area to foray into, because if you weren't there when it happened, you can't say which is true or which isn't. You will have to read different accounts to make your own judgments.

A history lesson or lecture will never give an account of an event from one source only. Otherwise it would be pegged with lies and misconstrued to represent the views of a group.

So read The 5 Majors, and read DR Omoiguis version as well, and any other version you find.
Re: July 1966 Counter-coup: Fajuyi’s Aides Knew About The Coup But Betrayed Him –sis by Henrodah(m): 8:05am On Jul 31, 2016
Etinosajay:

Wikipedia is not the best search engine or an authority on anything, that is why they provide references to materials, so that you can do your independent verification, and also that they are not liable for any misinformation.

I have also read the account by one Dr Omoigui and another by one Ben Obi in the 5 majors. That's how to read history.

History is a very subtle and complex area to foray into, because if you weren't there when it happened, you can't say which is true or which isn't. You will have to read different accounts to make your own judgments.

A history lesson or lecture will never give an account of an event from one source only. Otherwise it would be pegged with lies and misconstrued to represent the views of a group.

So read The 5 Majors, and read DR Omoiguis version as well, and any other version you find.

Since we are talking bout books let me tell you how many I have read pertaining the coup!

1 -why we struck - by one of the cult plotist himself Major Ademoyega(yoruba)
2-The Nigerian/biafrian war -Alex Madiebo
3- Dr Nowa Omoiguis articles
4-Gen Obasanjo's book 'an intimate portrait of Major Nzeogwu.
5-Ruth first- barrel of a gun
And my dad fought this same war for complete 2years before he was injured in benin after an air strike....so am no novice to this topic my brother, history is always told by the Victors to suit them, it's left for us having an 'inquisitive mind' to go deeper and get information...for example America wasn't winning the war against Japan before they used 'little boy' (atomic weapon) Infact they were been slaughtered at midway, but americans at home felt they were winning the war. The heriocs of the japanese won't be heard cause they couldn't write the history themselves.

3 Likes

Re: July 1966 Counter-coup: Fajuyi’s Aides Knew About The Coup But Betrayed Him –sis by isnovic(m): 8:49am On Jul 31, 2016
Floyd45:

How can i lay my hands on this book? Did you read a soft or hard copy?
Floyd45 I read a softcopy...was able to download same yesterday.
Re: July 1966 Counter-coup: Fajuyi’s Aides Knew About The Coup But Betrayed Him –sis by Floyd45(m): 8:58am On Jul 31, 2016
isnovic:

Floyd45 I read a softcopy...was able to download same yesterday.
Thanks! Very difficult for me to read a soft copy. Thanks all the same
Re: July 1966 Counter-coup: Fajuyi’s Aides Knew About The Coup But Betrayed Him –sis by Etinosajay(m): 9:09am On Jul 31, 2016
Henrodah:

Since we are talking bout books let me tell you how many I have read pertaining the coup!

1 -why we struck - by one of the cult plotist himself Major Adoyemoga(yoruba)
2-The Nigerian/biafrian war -Alex Madiebo
3- Dr Nowa Omoiguis articles
4-Gen Obasanjo's book 'an intimate portrait of Major Nzeogwu.
5-Ruth first- barrel of a gun
And my dad fought this same war for complete 2years before he was injured in benin after an air strike....so am no novice to this topic my brother, history is always told by the Victors to suit them, it's left for us having an 'inquisitive mind' to go deeper and get information...for example America wasn't winning the war against Japan before they used 'little boy' (atomic weapon) Infact they were been slaughtered at midway, but americans at home felt they were winning the war. The heriocs of the japanese won't be heard cause they couldn't write the history themselves.

Good reads in bold. I found those very expository.

Read the 5 majors also.

And I think it was Ademulegun not Ademoyega
Re: July 1966 Counter-coup: Fajuyi’s Aides Knew About The Coup But Betrayed Him –sis by Henrodah(m): 9:27am On Jul 31, 2016
Etinosajay:

Good reads in bold. I found those very expository.

Read the 5 majors also.

And I think it was Ademulegun not Ademoyega

Major Ademoyega boss!
Re: July 1966 Counter-coup: Fajuyi’s Aides Knew About The Coup But Betrayed Him –sis by kikies(m): 2:03pm On Jul 31, 2016
gartamanta:

Of course they took offence! Many Yorubas still call out Igbos for killing Northern and western leaders, even here on NL. I'm not even sure who killed Ademulegun, under what circumstances and by what directive. The only thing some people want to hear is that " it was an Igbo coup". But rarely will you ever hear a Yoruba man ever call out the Northerners despite the Northerners killing their Governor of the western region and denying a Yoruba man their rightful place as president twice.

Yes dats true doe,d Yoruba's Neva called out the Hausa's for d killing of Fajuiyi and d denial of Awo.

But my Broda d Igbo's didn't help matters too,after d first coup,dey were bin boostful about it......." we killed ur leaders wat can u do".........d Igbo's were saying dis,even to d faces of dier colleagues in d barracks(d military guys), even d wives of d Igbo's military guys were said to b mocking dier Hausa counterparts within d barracks,n dat was y d retaliation was dat bloody, n dats y d Yoruba's didn't call out d Hausa's, because d Igbo's were not bin discrete about the whole coup.

Same reason Nigeria believed dat it was a coup staged mainly by Igbo's to silence other tribes
Even after d first coup Ironsi's appointment into key positions were mainly Igbo's.

That time was jst crazy jare,God help us

1 Like

Re: July 1966 Counter-coup: Fajuyi’s Aides Knew About The Coup But Betrayed Him –sis by TheAlchemist: 4:03pm On Jul 31, 2016
EmeritusMbaM:

That guy is a devil that lie shamelessly. They are ready to blame others for there evil deed. They killed Victor Banjo and still blame the man after fighting for there Biafra crap. Soyinka was jailed cos of Biafra and they still curse and insult the man daily. Awolowo's only sin is refusing to take his own people to slaughter ground, I just hate these people and there lies.

Loved everything you stated... but let us stop all these HATING business! We need to move our nation forward.
Re: July 1966 Counter-coup: Fajuyi’s Aides Knew About The Coup But Betrayed Him –sis by TheAlchemist: 4:04pm On Jul 31, 2016
EmeritusMbaM:

That guy is a devil that lie shamelessly. They are ready to blame others for there evil deed. They killed Victor Banjo and still blame the man after fighting for there Biafra crap. Soyinka was jailed cos of Biafra and they still curse and insult the man daily. Awolowo's only sin is refusing to take his own people to slaughter ground, I just hate these people and there lies.

Loved everything you stated... but let us stop all these HATING business! We need to move our nation forward.
Re: July 1966 Counter-coup: Fajuyi’s Aides Knew About The Coup But Betrayed Him –sis by limpopo: 6:46pm On Aug 01, 2016
All you igbos hating yorubas and you yorubas hating igbos, I hope you've heard of the Fajuyi Ironsi story(A yoruba man who gave his life to protect his ibo guest). Tribalism ain't the answer...
#copied handie

2 Likes

Re: July 1966 Counter-coup: Fajuyi’s Aides Knew About The Coup But Betrayed Him –sis by limpopo: 6:46pm On Aug 01, 2016
All you igbos hating yorubas and you yorubas hating igbos, I hope you've heard of the Fajuyi Ironsi story(A yoruba man who gave his life to protect his ibo guest). Tribalism ain't the answer...
#copied handie

2 Likes

Re: July 1966 Counter-coup: Fajuyi’s Aides Knew About The Coup But Betrayed Him –sis by drestoneokuta(m): 6:55pm On Aug 03, 2016
Henrodah:
Am no igbo or yoruba, but I commend you all to try and read Max Siollun's book 'Nigeria's Military Coup Culture' and get clear information about nigeria's history on 'violence'.....contrary to most people's belief, Jan 15th coup wasn't an ibo coup, it was the most nigerianistic coup since this country's inception. But trust the Victors way of narrating stories, it must suit them....please let's read more and Avoid tribalism in any simple historic news we read bout nigeria.
God bless you for recommending this book, it was indeed informative and a good read as well. Can you please do me a favour by recommending more books especially unbiased once that dealt with the civil war and other coups, wil be expecting. Thanks once again
Re: July 1966 Counter-coup: Fajuyi’s Aides Knew About The Coup But Betrayed Him –sis by Henrodah(m): 7:13am On Aug 04, 2016
drestoneokuta:

God bless you for recommending this book, it was indeed informative and a good read as well. Can you please do me a favour by recommending more books especially unbiased once that dealt with the civil war and other coups, wil be expecting. Thanks once again
No problemo my Broda! Try these books

1-max siollun -Oil, Politics and Violence(Nigeria's Military Coup Culture)
2- Ruth first(South African killed by apartheid ) barrel of a gun.
3-Gbulie -Nigerian Five majors
4- Major Ademoyega- why we struck
5- 13 of military rule - Newspaper article compiled as a book.

Enjoy boss!

1 Like

Re: July 1966 Counter-coup: Fajuyi’s Aides Knew About The Coup But Betrayed Him –sis by DEROX: 7:42am On Jul 28, 2020
lalasticlala Seun pls I want you to re visit this thread tomorrow as it marks July 1966 revenge coup the most bloodiest in Nigerian history

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

'Free Sowore' Massive Global Protests To Be Staged / EndSARS: Nsukka Joins Protest (Photos) / Photos: Suspected Criminals Arrested With Ballot Boxes

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.