Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,327 members, 7,822,579 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:14 PM

High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings (9853 Views)

Dollar Scarcity To Worsen As Security Operatives Clamps Down On BDCs / Despite The Economic Woes You Still Have No Time To Start A Home Based Business? / Fitch Downgrades Credit Ratings Of First Bank, UBA- The Vanguard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by Truth234(m): 6:45am On Jul 30, 2016
Nigerian banks are likely to face more challenges as the nation’s benchmark interest rate continues to rise, global credit rating agency, Fitch Ratings, has said.

The Central bank of Nigeria’s Monetary Policy Committee had on Tuesday increased the interest rate from 12 per cent to 14 per cent in a move to curb inflation and strengthen the naira. The move has been widely criticised by economists.

The CBN’s Monetary Policy Rate (benchmark interest rate), which hovered around six per cent from 2001 to 2011, has risen steeply.

In a statement on Friday, Fitch said, “Rising rates are likely to put additional pressure on banks’ asset quality. Almost all lending is extended at floating rates and banks should be able to reprice their loans quite quickly but borrowers will face more difficulties in servicing their debts.

“Impaired loans are already high in the Nigerian banking sector, where average non-performing loan ratios reached 6.2 per cent at end-March 2016, partly reflecting the impact of currency depreciation on businesses as well as higher oil-related problem loans at some banks.”

Fitch expects loan growth (excluding foreign-exchange translation effects) to slow during the second half of 2016 and into 2017.

Banks have already tightened underwriting standards as economic conditions in the country worsen.

The nation’s Gross Domestic Product contracted by 0.4 per cent year-on-year in the first quarter of 2016 and Fitch forecasts the GDP growth to fall to 1.5 per cent in 2016.

http://investorsking.com/high-interest-ratell-worsen-nigerian-banks-woes-fitch/

1 Like

Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by engrdosmen01(m): 7:06am On Jul 30, 2016
First to comment.

Nice one
Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by oscarnoble(m): 7:06am On Jul 30, 2016
Nearly 2day is gonna be a good day
Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by gbaskiboy: 7:07am On Jul 30, 2016
Third to comment. He go better, that's a typical mantra that keeps us going. We'll get there
Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by onatisi(m): 7:07am On Jul 30, 2016
This government has lost control of the ecomomy

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by Mimisboygreat: 7:08am On Jul 30, 2016
which way naija? una no go succeed in killing us in this country! our economy will soon discover mungo park the way it is going. undecided
Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by peter1994(m): 7:09am On Jul 30, 2016
Even though I respect Naija's decision to refuse IMF's help, I must admit that it is a dumb move. Because it's obvious that things are going bad and what we need are local n foreign investors but if we continue to act like this, we won't get any cos nobody wants to go down with the sinking ship

Thats why I respect people like ATIKU, cos he tries to invest some of his loot in Nigeria (his University, Intel that manage Onne sea Port in PH etc)

4 Likes

Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by grandstar(m): 7:10am On Jul 30, 2016
The country has no choice but to turn to the IMF.

That will help restore global confidence in the economy which has taken a blow due to some unsound economic policies of this administration. The government also needs short term funds to stabilise itself and the economy.

A bailout can not be ruled out

3 Likes

Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by Figs(m): 7:10am On Jul 30, 2016
government of change.them neva see anything.2019 som brainless goons will stil vote clueless politicians to lead them to pits and throw them in

11 Likes

Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by Neduzze5(m): 7:11am On Jul 30, 2016
Kai Buhari!! embarassed

7 Likes

Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by Nobody: 7:11am On Jul 30, 2016
You guys should not just talk, if you're concerned Nigeria may go the Zimbabwe way, pls erect megaphones at Aso rock and shout it into our Deaf President and his trial-and-error economic team's ears

9 Likes

Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by virginboy1(m): 7:12am On Jul 30, 2016
Buhari : my government will pay unemployed Nigerians
5k every month. 
People be like: sai Baba... change is
here..Nigeria will rise again! .

Buhari: I never promised to pay unemployed Nigerians
5k each month. .
People be like: No mind those Jonathanians. With their
fake news. Show us links where he promised that. We
are solidly behind you. Nothing for yam eaters .

Buhari : We have started collection of data to enable us
pay the unemployed graduates 5k. .
People be like : Where are those TANoids that said
Baba is not a promise keeper...shame on all PDP.
Baba till 2023 ! .

Buhari: I wont pay 5k to unemployed youths. Its not a
priority ! .
People be like: Baba is right! Whats the use of 5k?
What can 5k do to anyone. Mr president we love u.
Best president ever! .

I wont be surprised if I wake up tomorrow and hear : .

Buhari: Unemployed Nigerians should pay 5k every
month to the government: .

And still people be like: Think of what u can do for your
country and not what your country can do for you.
Baba is right. But I know those unpatriotic wailers
wont pay

. I don't think this is ordinary

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by Truth234(m): 7:12am On Jul 30, 2016
My post before interest rates was increased

CBN didn't fail to lure local and foreign investors, uncertain global economic outlook after the U.K exit the European Union and unfavorable business environment in Nigeria forced both foreign and local investors to hold back.

So, it will be totally wrong to hike rates in order to attract investors when our consumer spending is weak and consumer price index (Inflation) is at 11 year high. If we need to create jobs to boast spending by stimulating the economy domestically. It will be wrong to raise rate today, because even if they do it won't be effective. And I think MPC are smarter than that.

After interest rates was increased

How does this make sense to you? You are giving investors money without considering real economic growth, what about 25 year high unemployment rate? So is better not to create jobs and give money to oyinbo wey no send you.

Even US that is the most appreciated economy this year, held rate unchanged immediately Britain exit the EU. Global risks and current uncertainty will continue to weigh on growth, especially emerging economies. Why is Japan, third largest economy, UK, New Zealand etc cutting rates to aid growth and Nigeria increasing rates.

The same way they refuse to float naira until last minute.

My new post, 20 percent inflation rate in this third quarter.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by virginboy1(m): 7:14am On Jul 30, 2016
sapiosexual1:
You guys should not just talk, if you're concerned Nigeria may go the Zimbabwe way, pls erect megaphones at Aso rock and shout it into our Deaf President and his trial-and-error economic team's ears

BUHARI is a scam

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by johnstar(m): 7:15am On Jul 30, 2016
undecided
Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by Yian1(m): 7:16am On Jul 30, 2016
You said you raised the interest rate to curb the inflation when much hasn't been done to improve the economy. Every business man is complaining that he doesn't get what he used to get in his business. Raising the interest rate will mostly discourage people getting loans as not much will be gained after deducting your high interest rate from sales.

3 Likes

Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by ayibatari99(m): 7:17am On Jul 30, 2016
Mr. Osinbanjo & your Economic team, I beg you, for God sake change the Economic textbook you guys are glued to, since it's not helping matters at all, I'm sure it most be an old edition.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by virginboy1(m): 7:18am On Jul 30, 2016
"It should be realised that a nation that cannot feed her citizens cannot claim equal partnership with others whose citizens are well fed in addition to possessing economic strength and technology."

They keep fighting one sided corruption at the detriment of the economy.

2 Likes

Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by shawn5ng(m): 7:20am On Jul 30, 2016
We can't keep on blaming the govt at all time when some ppl are financing book haram, Niger Delta Militant, cattle hernsmen, National Assembly in disarray and lotting the nation. All these are distraction to this govt. Revenue has dropped drastically and the little money available is use to fight all these distractions listed above. No one will ever invest in an unconductive environment. So the ppl should hold their leaders responsible rather than supporting them when they are being caught shortchanging the common wealth of us all. Let's speak out and fight all these things now before it is too late.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by Emeka71(m): 7:21am On Jul 30, 2016
2 big criminals in Nigeria are the bank and the telecom.
Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by Lataability(m): 7:22am On Jul 30, 2016
Today is my birthday and I thank God for the gift of new life,new hopes,great opportunities and above all gift of another year.lord you have been good to me all this years.thanks for the blessings I have received but especially for life itself.Happy birthday to me.Gratias.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by Adesiji77: 7:27am On Jul 30, 2016
It always does
Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by Ajusshi: 7:29am On Jul 30, 2016
H
Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by 27naira(m): 7:30am On Jul 30, 2016
Truth234:
My post before interest rates was increased

After interest rates was increased

My new post, 20 percent inflation rate in this third quarter.

I was impressed when I read your analysis.. just yesterday, Bank of Japan unfolded certain economic stimulus package which includes ETF buyback programmes and increased USD swaps but guess what, analysts say that wasn't enough! They expected more rate cuts into the negative territory and an increase in the Monetary Base. BOJ wanted to curtail the rising value of the Yen which is hurting export. They wanted their money to depreciate! We need to drive foreign capital and ordinarily increasing Base rate should have worked but not any more. Investors want to see stability, they want to know their money is safe! That's why after Brexit, German bonds yield moved into negative territory because people were looking for security and not yield. We want our Government to come up with a policy frame work that works and stop peddling rates. As a matter of fact, government need to cut rates! And probably increase provision for USD swaps and borrow from IMF

2 Likes

Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by virginboy1(m): 7:32am On Jul 30, 2016
shawn5ng:
We can't keep on blaming the govt at all time when some ppl are financing book haram, Niger Delta Militant, cattle hernsmen, National Assembly in disarray and lotting the nation. All these are distraction to this govt. Revenue has dropped drastically and the little money available is use to fight all these distractions listed above. No one will ever invest in an unconductive environment. So the ppl should hold their leaders responsible rather than supporting them when they are being caught shortchanging the common wealth of us all. Let's speak out and fight all these things now before it is too late.
Sir, but why are they called government, what is the chief responsibility of the government, what did they promised the citizens?

They promised and swear to protect life and properties, so they do their job rather than giving vain excuses.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by Kakamorufu(m): 7:32am On Jul 30, 2016
e get as e be oooooooooo

2 Likes

Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by adewumiopeyemi(m): 7:32am On Jul 30, 2016
dollAR don rise again.... cool cool cool cool
Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by kaen1317: 7:33am On Jul 30, 2016
Until Nigerians embrace Nigeria and stop bringing religion and tribalism into play we will ever be backward. You can't blame Jonathan for being president. It was circumstance that brought him. Religion and tribalism now gave birth to bono haram. With all the looting and thievery that characterised the Jonathan era, its only right for the only leader known to be astute and upright to lead us, that is, pmb. Religion and tribe now resurfaced in the name of Niger delta militants. For how long will we continue eating ourselves? The whole world is watching and laughing at our foolishness. Some kind of reconciliation has to take place cos war will take all of us back a 100 years whether Muslim or Christian, southerner or northern. Who wants to be a refugee of war? The way things are going that's where we are headed. God save nigeria

1 Like 1 Share

Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by Nobody: 7:35am On Jul 30, 2016
Lord have mercy on us.
Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by Adesiji77: 7:37am On Jul 30, 2016
@Truth234

It always does...

I am not an economist but it is apparent that the rate hike by MPC was just a gamble in the face of stagflation.

The inflationary trend can only go one way, which is north.

2 Likes

Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by Tellemall: 7:42am On Jul 30, 2016
shawn5ng:

You know what's even more pathetic than your Nigerian economy? People who give excuses for blatant lousiness on behalf of lousy people.

Did Niger Delta militancy only turn up in this administration? That is a very lousy excuse , talking about distractions etc.

Was there no distraction of B. Haram? Which is worse, people blowing up pipelines or people going around blowing up people? Who should be more distracting? And you think there are distractions only now ?

Are the herdsmen a problem, really? You have a president who wants to "crush" and destroy pipeline vandals, but he has a soft spot for Libyan herdsmen who have spent months KILLING, DESTROYING and being a menace but he has even given them chunks of federal land on which to multiply and is so caring for his religious brothers and tribesmen enough to let them go unchecked, yet you think there are distractions?

No. Please stop this. You voted in somebody as adept as Mugabe in running down an economy.

I'm surprised that somebody who was gotten rid of in a coup is pulling off the exact same moves and people like you think there is some justification for every wrong move he makes. He was removed for a reason before. What makes him suitable now? Did he get new qualifications?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: High Interest Rate’ll Worsen Nigerian Banks’ Woes –Fitch Ratings by onatisi(m): 7:44am On Jul 30, 2016
27naira:

I was impressed when I read your analysis.. just yesterday, Bank of Japan unfolded certain economic stimulus package which includes ETF buyback programmes and increased USD swaps but guess what, analysts say that wasn't enough! They expected more rate cuts into the negative territory and an increase in the Monetary Base. BOJ wanted to curtail the rising value of the Yen which is hurting export. They wanted their money to depreciate! We need to drive foreign capital and ordinarily increasing Base rate should have worked but not any more. Investors want to see stability, they want to know their money is safe! That's why after Brexit, German bonds yield moved into negative territory because people were looking for security and not yield. We want our Government to come up with a policy frame work that works and stop peddling rates. As a matter of fact, government need to cut rates! And probably increase provision for USD swaps and borrow from IMF
And you honestly think buhari will understand even 10% of what you just wrote
You still don't get the problem Nigeria is having and facing.
You have a president that knows nothing at all about economics, to even make the matter worse he is a stubborn arrogant old man that will never take any sensible advice except those given to him by his fellow fulanis

3 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Segun Agbaje's Performance As Guarantee Trust Bank (GTB) MD / Naira Trades 1,498/$ At Official Market, CBN Tackles Racketeers / Zuckerberg In Nigeria: How “doing Business” Will Change Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.