Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,209 members, 7,953,768 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 05:06 AM

20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries (48112 Views)

Costly Mistakes To Avoid When Travelling Abroad / 11 Mistakes To Avoid When Boarding A Taxicab / 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries by redcliff: 2:44pm On Jul 31, 2016
Kxngstein:
This is so unbelievable. I have to make further enquiries

And after typing this post, he made no further inquiries.

1 Like

Re: 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries by Dottore: 2:47pm On Jul 31, 2016
Interesting
Re: 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries by Nobody: 2:48pm On Jul 31, 2016
The one that sweet me most was preservative
Re: 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries by sesaan(m): 2:48pm On Jul 31, 2016
grin grin if you are IPOB in Lagos please don't say am igbo (weed) Alaye will smoke you dry

1 Like

Re: 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries by xreal: 2:49pm On Jul 31, 2016
Calebosko:
udom is a scam,udom out,akpabio come back

how is this relevant with the thread?

Anyway.....

1 Like

Re: 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries by Emyogalanya: 2:50pm On Jul 31, 2016
And pls be good enough to tell all those countries not to use these two words anytime the visit us here
1 change nigerians will think u are mad or came with a dog cos that word in Nigeria means chains
2 buhari . Nigerians will quickly shout God forbid not my potion. Don't get too worked up they actually think u mean badluck. Mbaka sarcastically captured it when he said nigerian is moving from goodluck Jonathan to badluck buhari

2 Likes

Re: 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries by Nobody: 2:51pm On Jul 31, 2016
Never u use the word "Runs Girl" in naija it means........

2 Likes

Re: 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries by Emyogalanya: 2:52pm On Jul 31, 2016
And pls be good enough to tell all those countries not to use these two words anytime the visit us here
1 change nigerians will think u are mad or came with a dog cos that word in Nigeria means chains
2 buhari . Nigerians will quickly shout God forbid not my potion. Don't get too worked up they actually think u mean badluck. Mbaka sarcastically captured it when he said nigerian is moving from goodluck Jonathan to badluck buhari
i tot since has done a good job why should nigerian be travelling abroad

2 Likes

Re: 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries by ruggedme12345: 2:53pm On Jul 31, 2016
this is weird or kinda serious .
Re: 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries by Shabib(m): 2:55pm On Jul 31, 2016
See how pple plenti for this thread
Re: 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries by stchinedu: 2:58pm On Jul 31, 2016
Raydos:
Don't Say "SAI" In Nigeria, It Means """Beat Me Up"".

That's Why Many Innocent People Were Beaten Up In A Petrol-Station For Saying ""SAI-baba""

So Avoid This Word!!!!!!
grin

3 Likes

Re: 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries by Stanbeto: 3:02pm On Jul 31, 2016
Knowledge good o
Re: 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries by Johnpaul09(m): 3:11pm On Jul 31, 2016
ejovwovincent:

Source:

http://www.careeraddict.com/avoid-these-20-english-words-when-in-other-countries?utm_source=&utm_medium=&utm_campaign=Social-Hootsuite?utm_source=&utm_medium=&utm_campaign=Social-Hootsuite
'ompa' which is name for the 'Hero Larger' beer here in Nigeria, but in Korean language, 'oppa' mean 'older brother'. So avoid going to a bar in Korea and start requesting for a bottle of 'ompa'.
Re: 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries by akigbemaru: 3:18pm On Jul 31, 2016
Words to avoid
Re: 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries by Damianking(m): 3:21pm On Jul 31, 2016
In Arabic Language zip means "dick"
Re: 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries by optimusprime2(m): 3:30pm On Jul 31, 2016
In Turkey don't say the word "Sick" rather use ill as Sick connotes the "F" word.
Re: 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries by Securedlife(m): 3:32pm On Jul 31, 2016
OLUJOSHINS:
hmmm

See the kind thread wey U dey create on Sunday afternoon

OP na wa for U ooooo
abeg make una educate me on how to create a thread, please, i have bin trying but no head way, where and how do i start from, thanks
Re: 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries by Movicq(m): 3:33pm On Jul 31, 2016
undecided

Re: 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries by musicwriter(m): 3:34pm On Jul 31, 2016
This's why a people should make their native language a priority over any othe foreign language. Its such a pity we gave up our native African languages in favour of English and French.
Re: 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries by NovusHomo(m): 3:36pm On Jul 31, 2016
France
Bra. Do you sell luxury underwear? Whilst you and I might initially understand the word to mean a garment that covers the breasts, if you’re in France your French colleagues might think you’re selling arms. Literally.

Sorry, but "Bra" in the french language means arm; the body part from your elbow to your wrist. It does not mean "Arm", the weapon. Just saying.
Re: 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries by charlsecy(m): 3:50pm On Jul 31, 2016
ejovwovincent:
20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries
Not really. You are speaking English, not their language.
Re: 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries by engrhorla(m): 3:54pm On Jul 31, 2016
wonderkid619:
which one should they not say when they come to naija

Sai Baba it means 'beat me up' in SS & SE
'shut up' in SW
And in North, it means 'waka'

grin grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries by Engrobiorah(m): 3:56pm On Jul 31, 2016
shoyemiayodeji:
Help in Dothraki means "kill me"......
Are you a Khal?
Re: 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries by Kxngstein(m): 3:58pm On Jul 31, 2016
redcliff:

And after typing this post, he made no further inquiries.

You haven't heard of "research"?
Re: 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries by Kakayaraznits(m): 4:00pm On Jul 31, 2016
Russia
Governor - a state executive officer.
Avoid using that word in Russia cos it literally means "shit"
Re: 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries by samhay: 4:17pm On Jul 31, 2016
I remember singing loudly

Moti mu dogoyaro
And monkey tail
Aro bami gbe klaro
I WANT TO DO SHINA TODAY

In 1 of the Arabic speaking country

Thank God some1 came to my rescue and warned me SHINA is coined from Arabic meaning fornicate

I for hear am

Olamide for put me in trouble

1 Like

Re: 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries by koxi: 4:22pm On Jul 31, 2016
In other words, keep mute, shut up when you are abroad
Re: 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries by NZAGHA(f): 4:44pm On Jul 31, 2016
You hate bubu ooo grin chaii. But wait, u use the right word shaa cool coz if u try that eeeh o boy... grin

Raydos:
Don't Say "SAI" In Nigeria, It Means """Beat Me Up"".

That's Why Many Innocent People Were Beaten Up In A Petrol-Station For Saying ""SAI-baba""

So Avoid This Word!!!!!!
Re: 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries by Holysholay: 4:47pm On Jul 31, 2016
Most importantly, never say u want to go and buy drugs (as we often refer to all medications in Naija). Simply say u wanna buy tablets, medicine or medications. Or else, they gonna think u doing drugs nd u know u be Nigerian (they suspecting u)

2 Likes

Re: 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries by Raydos: 4:49pm On Jul 31, 2016
NZAGHA:
You hate bubu ooo grin chaii. But wait, u use the right word shaa cool coz if u try that eeeh o boy... grin

i no hate bubu oo. but that's just the truth

if u see how dem beat my neigbor for saying "sai-baba"

up till now, the guy still dey hospital. grin grin grin grin
Re: 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries by OLUJOSHINS(m): 4:58pm On Jul 31, 2016
Securedlife:
abeg make una educate me on how to create a thread, please, i have bin trying but no head way, where and how do i start from, thanks

Click the section Ur proposed thread belong to/ fall under.

Click create new topic.

Fill in the blank spaces.
Re: 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries by currency10(m): 5:18pm On Jul 31, 2016
Hmmm na WA o.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

5-Junction In Benin City When It Rains: See What It Looks Like (Photos) / London-bound Nigerian Passenger Dies Aboard Egypt Air, Corpse ‘dumped In Cairo' / Flair Aviation: Nigeria Impounds UK Aircraft Conducting Commercial Flights

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.