Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,528 members, 7,826,981 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 02:16 AM

Why Can't We Feel The Earth Spin? - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Why Can't We Feel The Earth Spin? (2514 Views)

The Mysterious And Unexplored Corners Of The Earth(Photos) / The Earth Is FLAT. Discuss! / Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Can't We Feel The Earth Spin? by Nobody: 4:44am On Aug 01, 2016
There was a time when I'd glare at anyone who asked me this question with absolute condescension. But I've come to realize that genuinely not everyone knows. Some people don't know why people "At the bottom of the sphere" don't fall off.

Anyway, I'm here to put all doubts to rest, So put on your thinking cap. In All things, Science requires you use your brains at least a little.

So what is really going on here?

The problem.

Imagine a carousel. It's going round and round. the fact is, if you close your eyes, you can feel the carousel spinning. you can CLEARLY feel something happening. the logic then is, why can't we liken the earth to a carousel? after all, it rotates, and at a much faster rate. why? why why why can't we feel the spin? are scientists actually lying to us? is the world not really round and spinning, but instead flat?

Some useful Terms

Before we jump in, We should define some things. these are the things that will help later.

Vectors

You'd be surprised, Vectors actually make all the difference. Vectors are probably one of the most important things in the world. Simply a quantity with Not only Magnitude, But Direction, think of an archer, he's pulling a bow. at that point, the string exerts a force on the arrow. the magnitude of the rope is roughly equal to negative of the distance it is pulled back, and the force is pointed in the direction of the arrow. Did you get that mental picture? it's super important!

Inertial Reference frames.

Don't let the long name scare you. You are simply in an inertial reference frame if and when you are either at rest, or you are moving in a straight line.

The Solution

Alright, So they say the earth is speeding around at 1675km/h. That's pretty fast. if a mattress were to slam against you at that speed, you'd probably die. but you need to realize something, you are also moving at that speed! think about the mattress we said, imagine it's coming for you, and you ran in the opposite direction at that same speed. It wouldn't hurt you. It would just be behind you forever. Exactly like it would be if you weren't moving at all. This is what is known as an inertial reference frame. I'm moving, you're also moving. how are we going to know if we're moving? well, we can't. since we're both in the same inertial frame.

Now, you claim, BUT the earth is not moving in a straight line! It's continuously turning over and over, I should feel the turn!
It is at this point that I point out Vectors.

The force of gravity is a vector that is always pointing towards the center. That force is pulling you towards a center, that center never changes. but you are also moving perpendicularly to that center, so, the force then continues to BEND you around that center, Also, there is a very small, but definite centrifugal force that's trying to get you out, and through the rules of vector addition, they produce a new force, the one you've been experiencing all this while. And it's that force that you feel anytime you jump or do literally anything . . . well, except die.

[img]http://www.ukm.my/rahim/gravity%20lecture%28MSc%29_files/image021.jpg[/img]
Illustrated here

In normal life, we feel turns, this is because when we turn, we feel a NEW force. One that is bending us towards this new direction. Our body quickly realizes that this new force isn't gravity, and decides that it must be because we're turning . . . or something else. For example, When a bus turns, we feel the seat of the bus twisting us along that route AND, most importantly, we feel the air going against our faces. Our brains take the force into context and determines "Hey! we must be turning!"

The Gist

1. As far as we are concerned, we are not moving, because we, the air we breath, and almost every other thing we come in contact with, are in the same inertial reference frame.
2. As far as the universe is concerned, we ARE moving, in a circle, because a force is bending our constant velocity in space around a center.
3. We do not feel any sideways force because there is no force sideways. All the forces acting on us on a normal day are pointing downwards.
4. because we are in an inertial reference frame, everything seems perfectly still.
5. Our brains take a lot of things into context when deciding what force is what. Hence, it can readily differentiate between non-gravity forces.

And that's it!

http://www.gdevit.com/topic382/why-cant-we-feel-the-earth-spin#gdevit-post-2180

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Can't We Feel The Earth Spin? by Nobody: 4:57am On Aug 01, 2016
Insightful.
Re: Why Can't We Feel The Earth Spin? by Thukzee01(m): 3:24pm On Aug 01, 2016
Nice one Teempakguy, still finding it hard y you never went 4 mr nairaland.
I notice it that when a bus tends to turn either left or right in a sharpbend, we happen to go in the opposite direction.
Dunno why ?

This writeup is subject to correction , by my Ogas.
Cc: Teempakguy, Johnnydon.
Re: Why Can't We Feel The Earth Spin? by kazyhm(m): 3:26pm On Aug 01, 2016
Re: Why Can't We Feel The Earth Spin? by Nobody: 3:49pm On Aug 01, 2016
Thukzee01:
Nice one Teempakguy, still finding it hard y you never went 4 mr nairaland.
I notice it that when a bus tends to turn either left or right in a sharpbend, we happen to go in the opposite direction.
Dunno why ?

This writeup is subject to correction , by my Ogas.
Cc: Teempakguy, Johnnydon.
we're simply moving in a straight line, and the bus is turning. The bus turns, our body continues to move in a straight line, by the time our body catches up to what is going on, the bus has already turned and our bodies, which are going in a straight line, hit the side of the bus. It's actually by hitting the bus that we get to turn around. If the bus doesn't have any walls, we would just keep moving in a straight line, and fly out of the bus. Superman style.

Also, I thought the Mr Nairaland was for guys who actually looked good? grin
Re: Why Can't We Feel The Earth Spin? by hahn(m): 4:11pm On Aug 01, 2016
Teempakguy:
we're simply moving in a straight line, and the bus is turning. The bus turns, our body continues to move in a straight line, by the time our body catches up to what is going on, the bus has already turned and our bodies, which are going in a straight line, hit the side of the bus. It's actually by hitting the bus that we get to turn around. If the bus doesn't have any walls, we would just keep moving in a straight line, and fly out of the bus. Superman style.

Also, I thought the Mr Nairaland was for guys who actually looked good? grin

Ugly people can participate. You have to be proud of your looks. Regardless smiley
Re: Why Can't We Feel The Earth Spin? by Nobody: 4:25pm On Aug 01, 2016
hahn:

Ugly people can participate. You have to be proud of your looks. Regardless smiley
why compete for something if you don't have a chance of winning

And meanwhile, I don't hold my looks in high esteem. Not as much as hold my intellectual faculties.

Yeah, I'm that typical disheveled absentminded professor grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Can't We Feel The Earth Spin? by hahn(m): 5:04pm On Aug 01, 2016
Teempakguy:

And meanwhile, I don't hold my looks in high esteem. Not as much as hold my intellectual faculties.

'

Guy bone. You na fine guy na.

From the inside grin
Re: Why Can't We Feel The Earth Spin? by Nobody: 3:01am On Aug 02, 2016
Nice one. You made a lot of sense.
Re: Why Can't We Feel The Earth Spin? by Thukzee01(m): 6:04am On Aug 02, 2016
Teempakguy:

Teempakguy, you are the combination of intellect and charisma.
Ive known you on nairaland for over 2years. Dont let next year pass you by.
Re: Why Can't We Feel The Earth Spin? by Dawdy(m): 6:44am On Aug 02, 2016
Teempakguy, What triggered The Earth's spin?
Re: Why Can't We Feel The Earth Spin? by ELYMAXiimus(m): 11:07am On Aug 02, 2016
Well done, Tim. Keep up the good work.

Okay, uhm ... just a few inquiries and contribution:

1) Aren't we moving in the same direction as the earth? The analogy of 'you and the mattrass' got me lost.

If two things move in opposite directions, then definitely there will be a very conspicuous change in position of the two bodies with respect to eachother. Except they move in the same direction and at the same speed.

2) I get the gravity and centrifugal forces action which give a net gravity force. However, I don't get how it explains why we can't discern that the EARTH IS SPINNING. (spinning and revolving -- I hope you aren't mixing up the two?).

3) I think the summary of your discourse of why we cannot feel the earth spinning is that our brain cannot just detect the spinning of the earth. This, to me, is a vague explanation.

Why can't our brain detect that the world we're STANDING ON is spinning/rotating ( and also revolving -- I have an explanation for this, though. smiley)?

Imagine the earth as a ginormous ball, and you're standing on it. And the ball is spinning while going round a fixed circle (just an instance though. We know the earths orbit isn't a circle).

Now, that's the earth's movement.
Let's focus on the spinning effect alone.

How is it possible that our brain can't detect it?
Re: Why Can't We Feel The Earth Spin? by Nobody: 12:18am On Aug 03, 2016
hahn:
'

Guy bone. You na fine guy na.

From the inside grin
grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Can't We Feel The Earth Spin? by Nobody: 12:26am On Aug 03, 2016
Dawdy:
Teempakguy, What triggered The Earth's spin?
I'm sorry, but this is a complex question. it presupposes that the earth was, in fact, at some time, stationary, and that it "suddenly" began to spin. That is not true. The particles that form the earth have been spinning billions of years before earth was formed. Angular momentum is always conserved. the fact that they formed into a huge ball doesn't take away their spin. And five billion years into the future, when the earth has completely disintegrated, the particles that make it up, will still continue to spin.

"Spin is forever" - Dave Consiglio

Why Were these particles even spinning in the first place? Well, that is simply answered, The Strong force bends their path at the nuclear level, the Electromagnetic Force bends their path at the atomic and molecular level, and on the cosmic level, Gravity bends their path into circles and Ovals.
Re: Why Can't We Feel The Earth Spin? by Nobody: 12:57am On Aug 03, 2016
Thukzee01:

Teempakguy, you are the combination of intellect and charisma.
Ive known you on nairaland for over 2years. Dont let next year pass you by.
Ha . . . shocked two years? shocked
Alright then, I'll see what I can do about that. smiley

ELYMAXiimus:
Well done, Tim. Keep up the good work.
Okay, uhm ... just a few inquiries and contribution:
1) Aren't we moving in the same direction as the earth? The analogy of 'you and the mattrass' got me lost.
If two things move in opposite directions, then definitely there will be a very conspicuous change in position of the two bodies with respect to eachother. Except they move in the same direction and at the same speed.
I used the mattress to illustrate what is actually fatal to humans. it's not speed. you can move as fast as you want. the problem is a difference in speed. if two objects with different speed interact, catastrophe results. however, if two objects interact while they are moving at the same speed, there's no difference between when they are at rest. If we weren't moving in the same direction as the earth, it would be obvious that the earth was spinning because the ground would be rushing past us at speed U where U was the speed relative to the surface of the earth. however, Since we are moving at the same speed of the earth, our speed, U = 0, and so, we can't notice the earth spinning.
2) I get the gravity and centrifugal forces action which give a net gravity force. However, I don't get how it explains why we can't discern that the EARTH IS SPINNING. (spinning and revolving -- I hope you aren't mixing up the two?).
by spinning, I mean rotating, like a disc in a DVD player, revolution means going around some other object. like a stone being spun around the fingers via a string.
The point here is that the gravity and centrifugal forces give a net force that points in the direction of the gravitational force. humans can't feel components of forces. except the resultants. for example, when you carry a bucket, there are actually two forces, one is pulling the bucket straight up, and one is pulling it to your body. the x and y components. but you don't feel those. you only feel the resultant along your arm. in the same way, the resultant force we feel doesn't point sideways, it instead points down. hence, every force we feel is towards the center of the earth. that, coupled with the fact that we are spinning with the earth, makes it impossible for us to know that the earth is spinning, because all our human senses have been tricked into believing
1. we're stationary, because everything we can see is moving at the same speed as us.
2. we're being pushed downwards, despite the fact that we're also getting pushed sideways, because the resultant force points downwards.
3) I think the summary of your discourse of why we cannot feel the earth spinning is that our brain cannot just detect the spinning of the earth. This, to me, is a vague explanation.
Why can't our brain detect that the world we're STANDING ON is spinning/rotating ( and also revolving -- I have an explanation for this, though. smiley)?
Imagine the earth as a ginormous ball, and you're standing on it. And the ball is spinning while going round a fixed circle (just an instance though. We know the earths orbit isn't a circle).
Now, that's the earth's movement.
Let's focus on the spinning effect alone.
How is it possible that our brain can't detect it?
You'd be surprised, the bolded is a scientific principle, and is one of the conditions for special relativity.

It impossible to devise any equipment, any experiment, or any organ, that is capable of detecting constant velocity without referencing another body.

If you're freaked out, be calm, so was I. here are some more equally "ridiculous" scientific laws and principles that almost make no sense.

The highest local speed attainable in the universe is the speed of light. It is impossible for any object to surpass this speed.

The lowest temperature attainable in the classical universe is -273.15, It is impossible to achieve lower than this speed.

It is impossible to simultaneously know the position and momentum of an electron

The ratio of the circumference to the diameter of a circle is 3.14159265359

in most of these cases, we have absolutely no Idea why.

In other words, our brains cannot detect because there is a scientific principle that prohibits it from doing so. Now, there is actually a way for our brains to know that the earth is spinning.

If we look at the stars, we will notice that they are changing position with time. If you allow for stationary stars, there's only one explanation. We're moving. if you allow for very distant stars, there is only one explanation, we're spinning. This is the only way I know of that doesn't break that principle.
Re: Why Can't We Feel The Earth Spin? by Nobody: 10:39pm On Aug 04, 2016
....If gravity is a vector; is there an "upward" gravitational pull An anti-graviton; so to speak
Re: Why Can't We Feel The Earth Spin? by Geofavor(m): 10:47am On Aug 05, 2016
SirWere:
....If gravity is a vector; is there an "upward" gravitational pull An anti-graviton; so to speak
Gravity is a field. Let's put it this way: if gravitational force is a vector, is there an opposing force to it? As in a PUSH or REPULSION between bodies acting against the pull or attraction between them.

According to newton's third law of motion, there is.
Re: Why Can't We Feel The Earth Spin? by Nobody: 12:31pm On Aug 05, 2016
Geofavor:
Gravity is a field. Let's put it this way: if gravitational force is a vector, is there an opposing force to it? As in a PUSH or REPULSION between bodies acting against the pull or attraction between them.

According to newton's third law of motion, there is.

Fascinating. To be honest, I just crammed the three laws of motion.....I didn't really think deep on what they meant gringrin

and so what is the opposing force to gravity, the "push" resisting earth's pull, if I may ask?
Re: Why Can't We Feel The Earth Spin? by dorox(m): 9:33pm On Aug 05, 2016
Nice one Teempakguy. The gist in layman terms is that the rotation of the earth creates a force that is pushing us away from the earth, that force is called centrifugal force. If this was the only force acting on us, we would all be thrown into space. But luckily, there is another even bigger force acting in the opposite direction that is pinning us to the ground, this force is called gravitational force.

Another reason why we don't feel the rotation of the earth despite the fact that it is spinning at the equator at a speed of 1,674.4 km/h is because the angular velocity is very low compared to what you might get from driving through a roundabout.
Re: Why Can't We Feel The Earth Spin? by bqlekan(m): 7:44pm On Sep 22, 2016
wow! nice one op..
Re: Why Can't We Feel The Earth Spin? by Nobody: 6:32pm On Jun 25, 2018
bqlekan:
wow! nice one op..
Thanks, i have a new ongoing science thread.

(1) (Reply)

Please Where Is Jumia Pickup Station In Owerri? / photo:The Remains Of Romeo And Juliet Entangled Together Found / Japanese Scientists Plan To Drill Through Earth's Crust To The Molten Mantle.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.