Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,595 members, 7,816,471 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:38 AM

Lagos Doctors Forget Towel In Patient’s Abdomen After Surgery - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Lagos Doctors Forget Towel In Patient’s Abdomen After Surgery (34103 Views)

The Doctors Forgot A Gauze Bandage Inside Me After Surgery (Disturbing Photo) / Man Who Had Neurofibroma Smiles After Surgery To Remove Huge Tumor On His Face / 15 Years After Abortion, Indian Woman Finds Aborted Baby In Her Abdomen (Graphic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Doctors Forget Towel In Patient’s Abdomen After Surgery by DBestDoc(f): 2:33pm On Aug 03, 2016
jrusky:
What a nonsesnse is this for God sake how can you a doctor I mean qualify doctor forget towel in someone stomach what is all these nonsense oh heaven and now he will say its devil that caused it. How could you do surgery and stich up without 100% sure all is clear This was a friend elder sister was killed 3 years ago the doctor forget his wedding ring inside the woman stomach before the family the woman already turned pale and becoming white in a matter of few hours she was gone in attempt to remove the wedding ring from her belly.

This is very bad error please.
My brother, please stop posting dumb stories here in an attempt to portray the Doctors in a bad light.

Before any Doctor enters an OR to operate on a patient, the basic requirement is that he scrubs properly and that entails wearing of surgical gloves et al

How could he forget his ring inside a patient when his hands were gloved?

Did he operate on the patient with his bare hands?
Nowhere in the world will a Doctor perform a surgical procedure whether bloody or not without wearing gloves. Provided it's within a hospital facility.

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Doctors Forget Towel In Patient’s Abdomen After Surgery by Awoofawo(m): 2:59pm On Aug 03, 2016
igraman:
I initially taught it was a joke...

I detest the lackadaisicals...
They should have been sued for manslaughter and not murder.

The duo should be given euthanasia, subsequently there vital organs be donated to the needy and the remains bed fed to sniffer dogs.
Thing like happened elsewhere aroung the world not juet in Nigeria alone cool
Re: Lagos Doctors Forget Towel In Patient’s Abdomen After Surgery by vislabraye(m): 3:12pm On Aug 03, 2016
nnamdiokere45:
na dis kind doctors wey pay
hundreds of thousands before dem
get admission. medicine is a
profession dat u dnt mke mistakes
bcus any little one cn cus loss of
live.

I bow oh. After dem go come dey protest poor pay
Re: Lagos Doctors Forget Towel In Patient’s Abdomen After Surgery by nelszx: 3:28pm On Aug 03, 2016
DBestDoc:
The theatre nurse didn't do his/her job well.
He was supposed to take record of every single surgical instruments, guazes/towels used for the operation and he failed.

It's his job to count and recount them to make sure he got them all back before the patient is closed up...

The only mistake those Doctors made was failing to double check and ask, unfortunately it cost the patient his life.

Food don don for people who know nothing about how an operating room is being run or organized, they will start shouting quacks angry. The real culprit here is the Nurse, but as usual the Doctor is charged for every mistake that goes on under his watch.

RIP to the dead.

This is a private establishment you know how many of these so called private hospital can afford a surgical nurse? What they know to do best is to train quacks who doesn't know the rudiments (auxiliary)

In most privates its a one man show instead of team work. If truly they have a surgical nurse he/she should also be arrested. They have licenses too and are not above the law. So stop painting it like its only doctors who face litigation. Every professional in the health sector are licensed and any form of malpractice don't go unpunished.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Doctors Forget Towel In Patient’s Abdomen After Surgery by SirVintageCock: 3:42pm On Aug 03, 2016
You people always fail to read and interpret. How many private hospitals can afford to pay a professional perioperative nurse per surgery.? Cry me a river. Next time they won't substitute rather they will employ those whose job it is to manage a theatre, well, only when they get away from this.
DBestDoc:
The theatre nurse didn't do his/her job well.
He was supposed to take record of every single surgical instruments, guazes/towels used for the operation and he failed.

It's his job to count and recount them to make sure he got them all back before the patient is closed up...

The only mistake those Doctors made was failing to double check and ask, unfortunately it cost the patient his life.

Food don don for people who know nothing about how an operating room is being run or organized, they will start shouting quacks angry. The real culprit here is the Nurse, but as usual the Doctor is charged for every mistake that goes on under his watch.

RIP to the dead.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Doctors Forget Towel In Patient’s Abdomen After Surgery by SirVintageCock: 3:47pm On Aug 03, 2016
Oh yeah bro, they have already started with their sob stories. Isn't it obvious that their "theatre nurse" is a quack or he/she would've been arrested alongside this duo.The auxiliary ain't got nothing to lose undecided
nelszx:

This is a private establishment you know how many of these so called private hospital can afford a surgical nurse? What they know to do best is to train quacks who doesn't know the rudiments (auxiliary)

In most privates its a one man show instead of team work. If truly they have a surgical nurse he/she should also be arrested. They have licenses too and are not above the law. So stop painting it like its only doctors who face litigation. Every professional in the health sector are licensed and any form of malpractice don't go unpunished.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Doctors Forget Towel In Patient’s Abdomen After Surgery by armadeo(m): 4:16pm On Aug 03, 2016
jrusky:
What a nonsesnse is this for God sake how can you a doctor I mean qualify doctor forget towel in someone stomach what is all these nonsense oh heaven and now he will say its devil that caused it. How could you do surgery and stich up without 100% sure all is clear This was a friend elder sister was killed 3 years ago the doctor forget his wedding ring inside the woman stomach before the family the woman already turned pale and becoming white in a matter of few hours she was gone in attempt to remove the wedding ring from her belly.

This is very bad error please.

Let me get this straight. The wedding ring slipped of his fingers, punctured two gloves and landed in an abdomen.

Do you guys even read what you write. Any tale is told and you just believe.

Oh name the person it happened to since it's your friends sister.

Back to topic.

A mistake was made a bad one but it was a mistake. Let's not go into who should know how many gauze or mops were used.

I don't think Th he charge should be murder more like negligent homicide/ manslaughter.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Doctors Forget Towel In Patient’s Abdomen After Surgery by armadeo(m): 4:20pm On Aug 03, 2016
Onegai:

Well, if you say you are at the top of the medical profession, you have to also be willing to take the largest responsibility. Because it happened under his watch, so he's to blame. I am responsible for my workers doing the wrong thing.

I agree. Hes the head and its his fault. Nobody is above mistakes but he made a terrible one.

So sorry that a life was lost.
Re: Lagos Doctors Forget Towel In Patient’s Abdomen After Surgery by armadeo(m): 4:22pm On Aug 03, 2016
DBestDoc:

My brother, please stop posting dumb stories here in an attempt to portray the Doctors in a bad light.

Before any Doctor enters an OR to operate on a patient, the basic requirement is that he scrubs properly and that entails wearing of surgical gloves et al

How could he forget his ring inside a patient when his hands were gloved?

Did he operate on the patient with his bare hands?
Nowhere in the world will a Doctor perform a surgical procedure whether bloody or not without wearing gloves. Provided it's within a hospital facility.

Thank God someone else noticed the dumb story. Imagine the tale...

Haba. Some people sef??

1 Like

Re: Lagos Doctors Forget Towel In Patient’s Abdomen After Surgery by Natotogokillme: 4:37pm On Aug 03, 2016
What kind of doctor does that?
Re: Lagos Doctors Forget Towel In Patient’s Abdomen After Surgery by Codes151(m): 4:38pm On Aug 03, 2016
See market! Chaii.. Naija! If na yanke now this victim don hamma
Re: Lagos Doctors Forget Towel In Patient’s Abdomen After Surgery by maasoap(m): 5:01pm On Aug 03, 2016
Juxtified:
Shame on all of you here on Nairaland shouting negligence, murder and manslaughter! The only thing that is clear from this story is that a patient died during surgery. No where is it stated with any modicum of certainty or proof that the death was the fault of the doctors. For all I care the towel story could have been a figment of the imagination of any of the relatives or bloggers. I'm embarrassed for all of you who refuse to use your brains.
And you Shameless thought that the investigators would present the case to the judge based on what the victim's relatives said and not finding out what really caused the death.
Re: Lagos Doctors Forget Towel In Patient’s Abdomen After Surgery by jack00000: 5:03pm On Aug 03, 2016
To the illiterates ranting nonsense........dont u make mistakes in ur profession? Do u know how many lives they have saved? Do you know how many patients they have saved that day and if they are stressed? No doctor will forget gause or pad or whatsoever deliberately. Did they conduct autopsy or relative insinuation
Re: Lagos Doctors Forget Towel In Patient’s Abdomen After Surgery by Luckymay(f): 5:45pm On Aug 03, 2016
I don't believe this
Re: Lagos Doctors Forget Towel In Patient’s Abdomen After Surgery by Nobody: 6:17pm On Aug 03, 2016
I have said it several times in this forum. 90% of Nigerian doctors are quacks and butchers. None of them can practice their so called profession abroad because they can't even pass the mandatory exam over here. Many of them ended up as cab drivers and morticians or cleaners in London. Many of those who passed the exam and practiced for a while had their licenses seized and others ended up in prison because of litigations from patients' relatives due to unprofessional conducts and gross negligence that led to harm, loss or injury to the patients. Local champions are what most Nigerian doctors are in Nigeria
Re: Lagos Doctors Forget Towel In Patient’s Abdomen After Surgery by Nobody: 8:04pm On Aug 03, 2016
If true,then it is outright neegligence
Re: Lagos Doctors Forget Towel In Patient’s Abdomen After Surgery by squad03: 8:29pm On Aug 03, 2016
Juxtified:
Shame on all of you here on Nairaland shouting negligence, murder and manslaughter! The only thing that is clear from this story is that a patient died during surgery. No where is it stated with any modicum of certainty or proof that the death was the fault of the doctors. For all I care the towel story could have been a figment of the imagination of any of the relatives or bloggers. I'm embarrassed for all of you who refuse to use your brains.

That's d first person who actually added 1+1 together.This story has made me rethink some of these stories dished out on social media.Op,please quote your source.There's no info about the type of surgery that was done,the facility that the autopsy was done at or the qualification of the person who conducted it. Allow me correct some details though.
The patient in question was a woman,not a man as was stated and the name given is slightly wrong.
The 'towels' a.k.a abdopacks in question did not match any of the ones which are used routinely at the hospital's theatre and the locations they were found were awkward in relation to the part of the body the index surgery was performed.I strongly believe that autopsy report was influenced by people who are desperate for quick money by way of some compensation from the hospital.
The hospital could have decided to sue the asses of the individuals who influenced that report but I guess they thought it better to take the christian way out and let sleeping dogs lie.If this case is followed up properly,it'll boomerang so bad in the faces of those behind that report.
Let's endeavour to think outside the box,so many people are condemning those dutiful doctors when they know nothing about it has all played out so far.
Re: Lagos Doctors Forget Towel In Patient’s Abdomen After Surgery by stanbillion200(m): 8:29pm On Aug 03, 2016
What a costly mistake.
Re: Lagos Doctors Forget Towel In Patient’s Abdomen After Surgery by squad03: 8:52pm On Aug 03, 2016
Kcinho:
it is the duty of the scrub nurse to count all the materials used for the surgery before closing the patient up to avoid this kind of situation. maybe the didn't use one. very poor practice in that case. still trying to figure out exactly what they mean by towel.

They meant abdopack.
Re: Lagos Doctors Forget Towel In Patient’s Abdomen After Surgery by Juxtified(m): 9:02pm On Aug 03, 2016
squad03:

That's d first person who actually added 1+1 together.This story has made me rethink some of these stories dished out on social media.Op,please quote your source.There's no info about the type of surgery that was done,the facility that the autopsy was done at or the qualification of the person who conducted it. Allow me correct some details though.
The patient in question was a woman,not a man as was stated and the name given is slightly wrong.
The towels in question did not match any of the ones which are used routinely at the hospital's theatre and the locations they were found were awkward in relation to the part of the body the index surgery was performed.I strongly believe that autopsy report was influenced by people who are desperate for quick money by way of some compensation from the hospital.
The hospital could have decided to sue the asses of the individuals who influenced that report but I guess they thought it better to take the christian way out and let sleeping dogs lie.If this case is followed up properly,it'll boomerang so bad in the faces of those behind that report.
Let's endeavour to think outside the box,so many people are condemning those dutiful doctors when they know nothing about it has all played out so far.

I take it you are privy to info not previously released to the media.
As soon as I read the report I knew it sounded suspicious. I had to read it two more times to be sure. People always try to whip up public sentiments in anything that involves doctors and hospitals.
But I do not like the issue of the hospital trying to go "the Christian way". Its about time that medical professionals begin to show they know their rights, otherwise they will forever be subject to the whims and caprices of these charge and bail lawyers and police officers. If they have any concrete evidence that the autopsy was manipulated then they should fight back by suing everyone involved, including the pathologist who did the autopsy! Someone has to send a message: "we are here to serve you, but we won't take such nonsense from anybody!"
Re: Lagos Doctors Forget Towel In Patient’s Abdomen After Surgery by squad03: 9:47pm On Aug 03, 2016
Juxtified:

As soon as I read the report I knew it sounded suspicious. I had to read it two more times to be sure. People always try to whip up public sentiments in anything that involves doctors and hospitals.
But I do not like the issue of the hospital trying to go "the Christian way". Its about time that medical professionals begin to show they know their rights, otherwise they will forever be subject to the whims and caprices of these charge and bail lawyers and police officers. If they have any concrete evidence that the autopsy was manipulated then they should fight back by suing everyone involved, including the pathologist who did the autopsy! Someone has to send a message: "we are here to serve you, but we won't take such nonsense from anybody!"

That's if that pathologist isn't a cleaner at the path lab or an auxillary of sorts.
In my opinion,the doctors were magnanimous not to have dragged the individuals involved to court first after they noticed a foul play but now they should expect thunder and brimstone if our judiciary system can be trusted.
Let me say for the record that the surgery was huge and they did their very best.
Shout out to all the doctors who work tirelessly,their families miss them while they work awkward hours.They miss their kids' first everything trying to give second chances to other people's kids.They are unsung heroes.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Doctors Forget Towel In Patient’s Abdomen After Surgery by sainty2k3(m): 11:59pm On Aug 03, 2016
squad03:

That's if that pathologist isn't a cleaner at the path lab or an auxillary of sorts.
In my opinion,the doctors were magnanimous not to have dragged the individuals involved to court first after they noticed a foul play but now they should expect thunder and brimstone if our judiciary system can be trusted.
Let me say for the record that the surgery was huge and they did their very best.
Shout out to all the doctors who work tirelessly,their families miss them while they work awkward hours.They miss their kids' first everything trying to give second chances to other people's kids.They are unsung heroes.
sounds to me like they are trying to secure haemostasis or left it there as a drain. mdcn or magistrate who actually should handle this case?
Re: Lagos Doctors Forget Towel In Patient’s Abdomen After Surgery by SirVintageCock: 4:39am On Aug 04, 2016
sainty2k3:

sounds to me like they are trying to secure haemostasis or left it there as a drain. mdcn or magistrate who actually should handle this case?
Is MDCN a court where suits are filed?
After court, both guys should be sanctioned by their boards. Medical negligence is a case that is established by court.
Re: Lagos Doctors Forget Towel In Patient’s Abdomen After Surgery by nwamehn: 6:21am On Aug 04, 2016
Juxtified:

So, u believe for sure that the patient died during surgery as presented in the story but u don't believe the towel story part also presented in the same story? Interesting!!!
Re: Lagos Doctors Forget Towel In Patient’s Abdomen After Surgery by Juxtified(m): 7:11am On Aug 04, 2016
nwamehn:

So, u believe for sure that the patient died during surgery as presented in the story but u don't believe the towel story part also presented in the same story? Interesting!!!
Yes. Because I know what goes on in the industry.
Re: Lagos Doctors Forget Towel In Patient’s Abdomen After Surgery by Jok3r(m): 8:17am On Aug 04, 2016
annnikky:

http://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2016/08/02/doctors-forget-towel-inside-patient-after-surgery./

nma pls look into dis mater.. minister of health make sure u penelise dem well
Re: Lagos Doctors Forget Towel In Patient’s Abdomen After Surgery by rhajaan(m): 9:46am On Aug 06, 2016
I have had chance to meet the first doctor mentioned....and in fact he recently performed a surgery on my son,successfully... He comes across as a very refined professional.... top notch.... So all those passing the guilty verdict should wait and let the proper investigation take its course...

1 Like

Re: Lagos Doctors Forget Towel In Patient’s Abdomen After Surgery by rhajaan(m): 9:50am On Aug 06, 2016
Juxtified:

On point

1 Like

Re: Lagos Doctors Forget Towel In Patient’s Abdomen After Surgery by nwamehn: 8:44am On Aug 07, 2016
Juxtified:

Yes. Because I know what goes on in the industry.

OK, u mean it's not possible for doctors to forget a towel inside someone after surgery?
Re: Lagos Doctors Forget Towel In Patient’s Abdomen After Surgery by Juxtified(m): 2:42pm On Aug 07, 2016
nwamehn:

OK, u mean it's not possible for doctors to forget a towel inside someone after surgery?
Is the human body a bathroom?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Doctors Forget Towel In Patient’s Abdomen After Surgery by nwamehn: 9:08pm On Aug 07, 2016
Juxtified:

Is the human body a bathroom?

hahahahahaha. Guy, abeg, no kill me with laugh.
But, on a more serious note, haven't u heard of cases where doctors forget scissors inside patients?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Turning 30 And Feeling Depressed! / Santa Claus Collapses And Dies In Front Of Children At School Christmas Party / ‘My Brother Died In My Arms Due To LUTH's Negligence’, Man Reveals. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.