Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,966 members, 7,814,260 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:04 AM

These 10 Things On Your CV Could Be The Reason You’re Not Getting Hired - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / These 10 Things On Your CV Could Be The Reason You’re Not Getting Hired (35960 Views)

Applicant Tracking System: A Possible Reason You’re Still Unemployed / 12 Reasons You’re Not Getting Job Offers (Even Though You’re 100% Qualified) / These 10 Things On Your CV COULD Be The Reason You’re Not Getting Hired (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: These 10 Things On Your CV Could Be The Reason You’re Not Getting Hired by Snaaz(m): 9:41am On Aug 06, 2016
adewumiopeyemi:
2. Education Background
If you are a university graduate or have a college diploma then you do not need to include all your other education details. Your university degree is your highest level of education and that’s all that matters. If you are yet to graduate, you can include both the secondary school and the university where you’re currently enrolled and for which course.

This is totally wrong. Your secondary school is an integral part of your educational background.

I got a job some years ago simply because of the name of my secondary school ( I attended Fed Govt Academy , Suleja) which became a plus for me. I actually think this is where you can sell yourself as a fresh graduate as you dont have experience.
Re: These 10 Things On Your CV Could Be The Reason You’re Not Getting Hired by Snaaz(m): 9:43am On Aug 06, 2016
adewumiopeyemi:

3. Grades
Related to number 2, if you got a D- in your final exams or a GPA of 1.88, why! oh why would you include that in your resume? No offense but no one will hire a dimwit. Remove that shame on your resume and show the employer that you’re smart beyond your grades at the interview.

Well this one is for the people that didnt do so well. If u had 9 A1s in WAEC or made a first class. Please flaunt it on your CV. If possible paint it red. What if you never get the opportunity to show your smartness at an interview
Re: These 10 Things On Your CV Could Be The Reason You’re Not Getting Hired by Snaaz(m): 9:47am On Aug 06, 2016
adewumiopeyemi:
These 10 Things On Your CV Could Be The Reason You’re Not Getting Hired Coming up with a well written, concise CV is one of the hardest tasks ever.
HR Managers and recruiting officers have thousands of CVs to go through. Therefore, your CV can be disqualified simply because of small mistakes here and there and maybe, just maybe, that is why you are not getting call backs from potential employers.cc lasticala

Here’s how to come up with the perfect CV: 1. Unnecessary personal information
Anything besides your name, email address and contact information should not be included on your CV. Details such as your tribe, age, height, weight and religion are minor details that no one cares about.

This is still Nigeria where even our presidency and ministerial appointments is zoned. Same goes for employment too. Your state of origin and LGA are still important. Though this could make or mar u....as employers still use sentiment. When I was employed, we were 4....a Yoruba guy, an igbo guy, a Rivers guy, and a Hausa babe. Coincidence? I think not.

Gender is also very important.
Re: These 10 Things On Your CV Could Be The Reason You’re Not Getting Hired by francotunsco: 9:49am On Aug 06, 2016
dovetark:
We are not getting hired because no jobs period!!!
Gbam! One can actually get a job seamlessly without a CV!
Re: These 10 Things On Your CV Could Be The Reason You’re Not Getting Hired by Snaaz(m): 9:59am On Aug 06, 2016
adewumiopeyemi:
10. Career objective
Rather than writing a summary of what you want, tell the employer what you’re capable of and if hired, what you will bring to the table.

Your objectives should contain 3 fundamental things....The skills you possess....what you can offer.....and what you want in return

" I want to work for an organisation that offers a stimulating environment for career growth and development". This is not too much to ask from a company that "U are willing to work to your limits in order to contribute your own quota to achieving company's objectives and goals"
Re: These 10 Things On Your CV Could Be The Reason You’re Not Getting Hired by Khingz(m): 10:33am On Aug 06, 2016
Educating!
Re: These 10 Things On Your CV Could Be The Reason You’re Not Getting Hired by Swtnancy(f): 11:14am On Aug 06, 2016
Thanks for the information
These 10 Things On Your CV Could Be The Reason You’re Not Getting Hired Coming up with a well written, concise CV is one of the hardest tasks ever.
HR Managers and recruiting officers have thousands of CVs to go through. Therefore, your CV can be disqualified simply because of small mistakes here and there and maybe, just maybe, that is why you are not getting call backs from potential employers.cc lasticala

Here’s how to come up with the perfect CV: 1. Unnecessary personal information
Anything besides your name, email address and contact information should not be included on your CV. Details such as your tribe, age, height, weight and religion are minor details that no one cares about.[/quote]
Re: These 10 Things On Your CV Could Be The Reason You’re Not Getting Hired by charles009(m): 11:14am On Aug 06, 2016
enough of these cv writing tips. My friend has a pass, but he has changed 2 bank jobs and currently a big boy in road safety. pray for the connect, that's all.

Also learn to send unsolicited emails to hiring managers. it helps too
Re: These 10 Things On Your CV Could Be The Reason You’re Not Getting Hired by Akinola660: 11:47am On Aug 06, 2016
Educative, Informative , tongue
Re: These 10 Things On Your CV Could Be The Reason You’re Not Getting Hired by Shukran(f): 12:00pm On Aug 06, 2016
adewumiopeyemi:
9. Photograph
This is a debatable point. Some people argue that it’s good to include your photo, others are of the opinion that you should leave it out. Some companies prefer that you not to include a photograph so they can safely adhere to the Equal Employment Opportunity legislation. Hey, unless it’s a modelling, acting, flight attendant or any other job that requires applicants to attach their photographs, then it’s probably better to leave it out.

It depends on the standard, in the UAE is compulsory that is their standard.
Re: These 10 Things On Your CV Could Be The Reason You’re Not Getting Hired by toprealman: 12:08pm On Aug 06, 2016
Re: These 10 Things On Your CV Could Be The Reason You’re Not Getting Hired by toprealman: 12:09pm On Aug 06, 2016
lisimmo:
Good points

For Job winning CV builder, check this thread

https://www.nairaland.com/3204006/build-standard-cvs-8-templates/

Or follow my signature. You'd be glad you did.
How can you be best graduating student in 2010 yet according to your profile, you enrolled for a degree programme in 2008 and graduated 2013.
Avoid any unnecessary inconsistency by all means....I won't listen to your explanation if I spot it in an interview panel. You could run the business down!
Re: These 10 Things On Your CV Could Be The Reason You’re Not Getting Hired by spendm: 12:25pm On Aug 06, 2016
Yes! It will be beneficial to many. thanks op
Re: These 10 Things On Your CV Could Be The Reason You’re Not Getting Hired by Infoay: 1:45pm On Aug 06, 2016
It's well with CV. Good points by the op.
Re: These 10 Things On Your CV Could Be The Reason You’re Not Getting Hired by Loonyy(m): 1:51pm On Aug 06, 2016
What if you don't have experience in the role DAT is advertised? How do you present your work experience ?
Re: These 10 Things On Your CV Could Be The Reason You’re Not Getting Hired by greggng: 2:20pm On Aug 06, 2016
Chai make I go resave my cv with my real name cos b4 na koko master cv I saved it with. No wonder the employer use to take me for dbanji
Re: These 10 Things On Your CV Could Be The Reason You’re Not Getting Hired by vinosweet(f): 7:11pm On Aug 06, 2016
Really well said
Re: These 10 Things On Your CV Could Be The Reason You’re Not Getting Hired by temiyato(m): 7:55pm On Aug 06, 2016
charles009:
enough of these cv writing tips. My friend has a pass, but he has changed 2 bank jobs and currently a big boy in road safety. pray for the connect, that's all.

Also learn to send unsolicited emails to hiring managers. it helps too
Pls can you kindly elaborate more on the use of unsolicited emails and how to get hiring managers.I need a job badly.
Re: These 10 Things On Your CV Could Be The Reason You’re Not Getting Hired by Kolsity(m): 11:30pm On Aug 06, 2016
NICE ONE
Re: These 10 Things On Your CV Could Be The Reason You’re Not Getting Hired by stanisbaratheon: 9:21am On Aug 07, 2016
adewumiopeyemi:
10. Career objective
Rather than writing a summary of what you want, tell the employer what you’re capable of and if hired, what you will bring to the table.

In what format should a CV be saved and sent??

Is it Doc. pdf or Jpeg?? Thanks for your response.
Re: These 10 Things On Your CV Could Be The Reason You’re Not Getting Hired by Chicagoesontop: 1:19pm On Aug 07, 2016
A Very Good And Helpful Thread !!! Thanks OP ..
Re: These 10 Things On Your CV Could Be The Reason You’re Not Getting Hired by adewumiopeyemi(m): 1:45pm On Aug 07, 2016
doc will be ok bro dont try save it on pdf or jpeg
stanisbaratheon:

In what format should a CV be saved and sent??

Is it Doc. pdf or Jpeg?? Thanks for your response.
Re: These 10 Things On Your CV Could Be The Reason You’re Not Getting Hired by lisimmo(m): 10:09pm On Aug 07, 2016
toprealman:
How can you be best graduating student in 2010 yet according to your profile, you enrolled for a degree programme in 2008 and graduated 2013.
Avoid any unnecessary inconsistency by all means....I won't listen to your explanation if I spot it in an interview panel. You could run the business down!

The contents of the CV sample I posted are just space holders. Take a look at the name Hamza Temitayo Chinyere. Who bears an Hausa, Yoruba and Igbo name all at the same time?
Re: These 10 Things On Your CV Could Be The Reason You’re Not Getting Hired by toprealman: 10:33pm On Aug 07, 2016
lisimmo:

The contents of the CV sample I posted are just space holders. Take a look at the name Hamza Temitayo Chinyere. Who bears an Hausa, Yoruba and Igbo name all at the same time?

Nnamdi Azikiwe's children. Google it. Would have done same cause I love naija toh badth. Sighted the discrepancies and signed off from the CV......like your typical HR would have done! No time for solving CV puzzle.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

N-Power Announces Enrolment Process For Batch C / WAEC Coordination Thursday, May 25, 2017 / Npower 2017 Pre-selected Applicant Who Has Done Physica Verification Successfuly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.