Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,991 members, 7,821,459 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:16 PM

A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To (8650 Views)

Private Job Or Govt. Job (advise Pls) / Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada / HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by learoce(m): 5:41am On Aug 04, 2016
I hold a good degree in a science field that has nothing to do with mass communication, but I am interested in a TV broadcasting Job. Please any advise on how to go about this? Or any useful links that can brush and acquaint me with the skill set and know how of such job?
Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by tushchic: 3:04am On Aug 05, 2016
Get NIPR certification and u're good to go.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by veekid(m): 6:15am On Aug 05, 2016
Here to read comments from eggheads
Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by lielbree: 6:15am On Aug 05, 2016
grin
Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by jazinogold(m): 6:16am On Aug 05, 2016
hmm... na buhari go fit advice u bro!
Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by dexpotter(m): 6:16am On Aug 05, 2016
Nairalanders good morning ooooooo. Abeg who know how this post take make front page with only one comment? Oga go and write Jamb
Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by ironheart(m): 6:18am On Aug 05, 2016
Tv college jos will be a good starting point while you could join any tv station and work for free. You get to learn on the job

6 Likes

Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by CeoMoses(m): 6:18am On Aug 05, 2016
god morni
Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by Pavore9: 6:19am On Aug 05, 2016
Enrol for a program in that. I think a College in Jos offers that.
Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by Donald3d(m): 6:20am On Aug 05, 2016
Kindly state your inclination with science ,engineering,medicine ,please let us know sir cool cool,it would be difficult to give advise or words of encouragement if we dont know

1 Like

Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by ironheart(m): 6:22am On Aug 05, 2016
dexpotter:
Nairalanders good morning ooooooo. Abeg who know how this post take make front page with only one comment? Oga go and write Jamb
cos nairaland is a place where help can be rendered. This is not a post about a yeyebrity showing her buubs in public. If you don't have an advice or a clue as to what he could do, just read comments

16 Likes

Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by moscobabs(m): 6:24am On Aug 05, 2016
register for school of journalism in Ikeja

op hope u fine sa?
we no want to dey see ugly faces on our TV station again o

1 Like

Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by Luukasz(m): 6:26am On Aug 05, 2016
You know what "Follow your heart,passion and let it guide you".
Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by femi4: 6:27am On Aug 05, 2016
I guess your parent forced Sciences into your throat
Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by justicejay(m): 6:28am On Aug 05, 2016
Good morning nairalanders.
Its unfotunate that I can't contribute to this topic because am also in your shoe.
A political sci student that is now intrested in science and agriculture

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by Ymodulus: 6:31am On Aug 05, 2016
@learoce

[b]Your question is an age old question cropping daily by those who wish to get into the broadcasting field, however in your case this time your question comes with a digital angle:- Which if properly rephrased would be, Does a Journalist/ TV Presenter/ Radio Presenter, today still need a degree in journalism? Truth be told most Journalist, Presenters, broadcasting professionals are not really on same page as to if a journalism degree (Mass come and other professional exams ) are needed to practise in the broadcasting world.

Asking several much more of the public will go with there is no nee, however how true is the reply?

You must understand that, in all generality The bridge between the academic community and the professional community has been burnt down burned down. Every discipline is facing a dramatic change due to technology, so too is the broadcasting industry. It's not going to be immune to this disruption.

However the Nigerian certificate factor comes to play, and this is the question on if mass communication degree holding graduates are more appealing candidates in a job recruitment process to the non mass communication graduates.
[/b]

[b]My Personal Experience:I never studied mass communication, i studied something way different, in my 200level i got into a radio station and worked as a webdeveloper, then got to be an On Air presenter, as time went on i fell in love with new editing and reporting/ writing, i was schooled then by the head of news for the radio station and reported several news on some few occasions.

In my final year, final semester i got to meet this man in one of the APC functions, and something happened, i rewrote a speech meant to be read by an Aspirant, a certain word drew his attention to me and that was the word "Hegemony". Several were impressed with my writings and from there on i got a job and began working at one of Nigeria's leading Newspaper company in Nigeria as a reporter.

Note, that in all this i never read mass communication or something related, Graduating from the university last year i applied to a well known tv station and got a job however did not get to go on due to career decisions such as following money path- Business and neglecting the monthly pay.

Do one been a Mass communication graduate matters in been a Tv Presenter? No it does not.
Live experience? Several experience. Several Channels Tv Presenters are not Mass comm grads, Sound-City, and even reputable international Tv Presenters likes of Mason of CNN MONEY etc.

O do i need tell you that i even scaled through the Aljazeera correspondent quest? In the end, you just have to ask yourself if Broadcasting job gives you joy or the money does.

At my present for me now the money does brings the JOY, not the career. When i get older after i must have achieved what i set as my goals then i can begin to go after my passion.

So brother if you really and truly wants to be a TV presenter, you can achieve your dreams without having a mass comm cert.
[/b]

“If we fail, we need to try again. That’s what startups do, Let’s take something and just try it. We need more failures. We need more failures to teach us what we need to do.”

44 Likes 10 Shares

Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by adewumiopeyemi(m): 6:33am On Aug 05, 2016
cool cool cool coolu course of study doesnt matter u can also work in the bank with ur couse of study
Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by MEGAdime(m): 6:34am On Aug 05, 2016
Am in same shoes. I am an Engineer, But i want be Radio presenter. I will resign from my Job today If i know How to go abt it.
Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by seunakin231(m): 6:50am On Aug 05, 2016
If u speak impeccable english, av a good diphthong, try out a radio station, tell them u wanna work for free for 2months, they shuld give u a shot
Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by babyfaceafrica: 6:55am On Aug 05, 2016
Enrol for a PGD at the National institute ofjournalism Ogba,near WAEC office..you are good to go
Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by 4ward(m): 6:59am On Aug 05, 2016
ok
Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by wolexanda(m): 7:05am On Aug 05, 2016
You can go to frcn in GRA around adekunle fajuyi Rd, they run certificate courses on department on broadcasting. Minimum of 3-6 month you aren't true and you will be fix up in any radio company. Most the Wazobia presenters too are science and engineering people, omotunde Lolo is loyal by profession egos is an engineer by profession, even yoh. You can call me on this number for more enquiry 08098786893

1 Like

Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by uckennety(m): 7:06am On Aug 05, 2016
MEGAdime:
Am in same shoes. I am an Engineer, But i want be Radio presenter. I will resign from my Job today If i know How to go abt it.

Can wee switch degrees?
Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by sathel(m): 7:07am On Aug 05, 2016
undecided undecided undecided
Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by uckennety(m): 7:07am On Aug 05, 2016
MEGAdime:

Can we switch pls I desperately need an engineering degree
Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by OgidiOlu3(m): 7:07am On Aug 05, 2016
Apply for Unilag's PGD in Mass Comm. Form is still available. Or go to NIJ to make enquiries.
Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by Nobody: 7:20am On Aug 05, 2016
Start broadcasting your science related knowledge na wink
Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by Longman6(m): 7:21am On Aug 05, 2016
seunakin231:
If u speak impeccable english, av a good diphthong, try out a radio station, tell them u wanna work for free for 2months, they shuld give u a shot
Best Advice, no need for schooling just do some private reading and brush up your skills.

2 Likes

Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by ifycelebrity(f): 7:30am On Aug 05, 2016
Op, broadcasting is no joke. Currently, nigerian broadcasters earn very little. It takes a very long time before you earn much from broadcasting, but if your passion for broadcasting is unshakable, I can help you. Questions you must answer first are: (a) do you want to work a nine to five job for an already existin organisation or do you want to work for yourself and (b) do you want to work in front or behind the scenes? If you supply me with those answers, I can help you better.

Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by Nobody: 7:35am On Aug 05, 2016
Y dont u consult d IFA oracle,he knows all.. he will tell u how to go about it.. peace grin
Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by TOEZOFFICIAL(m): 7:41am On Aug 05, 2016
Ehiz read computer science.. same with many other presenters...if u re good, you're good!
Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by oglalasioux(m): 7:49am On Aug 05, 2016
learoce:
I hold a good degree in a science field that has nothing to do with mass communication, but I am interested in a TV broadcasting Job. Please any advise on how to go about this? Or any useful links that can brush and acquaint me with the skill set and know how of such job?

You can channel all you know in your field to tv broadcasting job. Email me for how you can do that.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Salary After IPPIS CAPTURING / BREAKING NEWS: Nigerian Army Short Service (DSSC and SSC) 2014 List is Out!! / Job Terminated B/c I Refuse To Date My Boss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.