Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,028 members, 7,956,811 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 07:42 PM

A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To (8783 Views)

Private Job Or Govt. Job (advise Pls) / Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada / HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by MEGAdime(m): 7:55am On Aug 05, 2016
uckennety:

Can we switch pls I desperately need an engineering degree

U're funny... Do u ve pasion for Engineering? Thats what matters.
Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by Gabrendo(m): 8:02am On Aug 05, 2016
Stick to Science And Live the Arts For Us...
Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by aalangel(f): 8:11am On Aug 05, 2016
learoce:
I hold a good degree in a science field that has nothing to do with mass communication, but I am interested in a TV broadcasting Job. Please any advise on how to go about this? Or any useful links that can brush and acquaint me with the skill set and know how of such job?

Most of us in my office didn't study Mass Communication, but we're all good in media. Start with training. If you're in Lagos, go to Radio Nigeria for the training. Moreover, who works with course of study these days? My friend that is a Newscaster with Galaxy TV read Biochemistry.
Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by uckennety(m): 8:19am On Aug 05, 2016
MEGAdime:

U're funny... Do u ve pasion for Engineering? Thats what matters.

If I studied engineering and not dz useless mass comm I won't be unempLoyed by now!

1 Like

Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by Lionofdjungle: 8:22am On Aug 05, 2016
In addition to what others have said, you have to
1. Look for someone in the field who is willing to help you master the art of broadcasting be it radio or TV presenter. You will understudy the person for some time and he will render assistance.
2. You must have what it takes to be a broadcaster because it is an art.
I know a number of broadcasters who didn't study anything related to it.e.g. FUNMI iyanda who is a TV presenter in Lagos studied Geography in university. There is a radio presenter in Ibadan, he works with Splash FM. His name is Edmond Obilo. The guy read elect elect but he's making waves there because many listen to the station purposely because of the guy. Also, Rolake Bello at Fresh FM, Ibadan read Law. etc. The field has to do more with your talents and passion although studying journalism on part time in any recognized institution cannot also be underestimated.

2 Likes

Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by chccho(m): 8:27am On Aug 05, 2016
Ymodulus:
@learoce

[b]Your question is an age old question cropping daily by those who wish to get into the broadcasting field, however in your case this time your question comes with a digital angle:- Which if properly rephrased would be, Does a Journalist/ TV Presenter/ Radio Presenter, today still need a degree in journalism? Truth be told most Journalist, Presenters, broadcasting professionals are not really on same page as to if a journalism degree (Mass come and other professional exams ) are needed to practise in the broadcasting world.

Asking several much more of the public will go with there is no nee, however how true is the reply?

You must understand that, in all generality The bridge between the academic community and the professional community has been burnt down burned down. Every discipline is facing a dramatic change due to technology, so too is the broadcasting industry. It's not going to be immune to this disruption.

However the Nigerian certificate factor comes to play, and this is the question on if mass communication degree holding graduates are more appealing candidates in a job recruitment process to the non mass communication graduates.
[/b]

[b]My Personal Experience:I never studied mass communication, i studied something way different, in my 200level i got into a radio station and worked as a webdeveloper, then got to be an On Air presenter, as time went on i fell in love with new editing and reporting/ writing, i was schooled then by the head of news for the radio station and reported several news on some few occasions.

In my final year, final semester i got to meet this man in one of the APC functions, and something happened, i rewrote a speech meant to be read by an Aspirant, a certain word drew his attention to me and that was the word "Hegemony". Several were impressed with my writings and from there on i got a job and began working at one of Nigeria's leading Newspaper company in Nigeria as a reporter.

Note, that in all this i never read mass communication or something related, Graduating from the university last year i applied to a well known tv station and got a job however did not get to go on due to career decisions such as following money path- Business and neglecting the monthly pay.

Do one been a Mass communication graduate matters in been a Tv Presenter? No it does not.
Live experience? Several experience. Several Channels Tv Presenters are not Mass comm grads, Sound-City, and even reputable international Tv Presenters likes of Mason of CNN MONEY etc.

O do i need tell you that i even scaled through the Aljazeera correspondent quest? In the end, you just have to ask yourself if Broadcasting job gives you joy or the money does.

At an age of 23 for me now the money does brings the JOY, not the career. When i get to 29 after i must have achieved what i set as my goals then i can begin to go after my passion.

So brother if you really and truly wants to be a TV presenter, you can achieve your dreams without having a mass comm cert.
[/b]

“If we fail, we need to try again. That’s what startups do, Let’s take something and just try it. We need more failures. We need more failures to teach us what we need to do.”
Só after u were trained and worked at media house u still have all this typo/grammatical errors.pls i want to know where and who trained u o..u can t even construct a proper sentence,gosh!!!!!
Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by Mosesoly(m): 8:37am On Aug 05, 2016
I am interested in this topic also, people should come out with advice, I read a Science related course also, am presently a serving corps member,i anchor a programme on ABS,i will like to follow this path after my service year. Please I need useful advice. Thanks
Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by winj3: 8:57am On Aug 05, 2016
And how many mass communication degrees in Nigeria have produced competent employees?

Majority of people on the planet are not working today in their fields of study, a Degree is supposed to provide commonsense, expand your education mindset while leaving you open to explore your ideas and knowledge in any area you later take an interest in.

There are more Lawyers running businesses than there are people with business degrees for example!

Half the Nigerian army generals have yeye degrees that have nothing to do with defence and war!

Na only useless country like Nigeria people are still studying sociology and mass comm in 2016 when the world has moved on to areas that promote technology and science.
Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by Agbaletu: 9:05am On Aug 05, 2016
learoce:
I hold a good degree in a science field that has nothing to do with mass communication, but I am interested in a TV broadcasting Job. Please any advise on how to go about this? Or any useful links that can brush and acquaint me with the skill set and know how of such job?
One of the TVC guys that you mostly see on screen daily studied Geology. You can do it also but i don't know how you can go about it.
Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by Emmatdayo(m): 9:20am On Aug 05, 2016
dexpotter:
Nairalanders good morning ooooooo. Abeg who know how this post take make front page with only one comment? Oga go and write Jamb

Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by Nobody: 9:37am On Aug 05, 2016
learoce:
Just do PGD in broadcasting and a certification course along side a professional course of say 3-6 month and u r good to go
Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by Cryxtal(f): 10:17am On Aug 05, 2016
I rarely comment on Nairaland. Your questions made me login which I haven't done for a year. I am an On- Air Personality/ broadcaster in one of the most reputable stations in Southern Nigeria. And by God's grace, I have had merit awards in this career. Interestingly, I never studied Mass Communication. I have a B.Sc in Biotechnology, (currently taking a PGD in Mass Com tho). I had no idea I could even broadcast. Till I met someone who saw the gift in me I had no idea I had. I was taken as an intern without pay into AIT/Raypower Fm where I got trained on the job. I developed a passion for broadcasting and so I stuck without the pay. But today, I have 4 years experience and I am highly paid for it.

If you are really passionate about this, you may have to pay the price. Get yourself attached to a station and learn, while you work a part-time job. When you eventually gain the experience and develop a unique talent, stations will bid for you. Sometimes we do things not for the present and an instant reward, but for the future with huge opportunities and gain.

learoce:

4 Likes

Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by eddy4naija: 10:23am On Aug 05, 2016
Abeg dear, it doesn't matter the course you read at school. At times people are forced to take courses they are not interested in just becos they never met the jamb cut off mark or or have a deficiency in waec.

Please go for where your passion lies. period.
Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by learoce(m): 10:28am On Aug 05, 2016
tushchic:
Get NIPR certification and u're good to go.

Tnx 4 d info... I am grateful
Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by learoce(m): 10:31am On Aug 05, 2016
Donald3d:
Kindly state your inclination with science ,engineering,medicine ,please let us know sir cool cool,it would be difficult to give advise or words of encouragement if we dont know

BSc Biochemistry.
Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by learoce(m): 10:34am On Aug 05, 2016
aalangel:

Most of us in my office didn't study Mass Communication, but we're all good in media. Start with training. If you're in Lagos, go to Radio Nigeria for the training. Moreover, who works with course of study these days? My friend that is a Newscaster with Galaxy TV read Biochemistry.

You totally nailed it down to me. I studied biochemistry. Tnk u very much for your contribution.

1 Like

Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by flokii: 10:36am On Aug 05, 2016
@OP there should be certifications & trainings available to that effect.. Or betterstill take post graduate diploma in d field (if atal it's necessary) #cheers
Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by learoce(m): 10:59am On Aug 05, 2016
Cryxtal:
I rarely comment on Nairaland. Your questions made me login which I haven't done for a year. I am an On- Air Personality/ broadcaster in one of the most reputable stations in Southern Nigeria. And by God's grace, I have had merit awards in this career. Interestingly, I never studied Mass Communication. I have a B.Sc in Biotechnology, (currently taking a PGD in Mass Com tho). I had no idea I could even broadcast. Till I met someone who saw the gift in me I had no idea I had. I was taken as an intern without pay into AIT/Raypower Fm where I got trained on the job. I developed a passion for broadcasting and so I stuck without the pay. But today, I have 4 years experience and I am highly paid for it.

If you are really passionate about this, you may have to pay the price. Get yourself attached to a station and learn, while you work a part-time job. When you eventually gain the experience and develop a unique talent, stations will bid for you. Sometimes we do things not for the present and an instant reward, but for the future with huge opportunities and gain.

Tnx very much ma'am.
Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by sweetilicious(f): 11:10am On Aug 05, 2016
Ymodulus:
@learoce

[b]Your question is an age old question cropping daily by those who wish to get into the broadcasting field, however in your case this time your question comes with a digital angle:- Which if properly rephrased would be, Does a Journalist/ TV Presenter/ Radio Presenter, today still need a degree in journalism? Truth be told most Journalist, Presenters, broadcasting professionals are not really on same page as to if a journalism degree (Mass come and other professional exams ) are needed to practise in the broadcasting world.

Asking several much more of the public will go with there is no nee, however how true is the reply?

You must understand that, in all generality The bridge between the academic community and the professional community has been burnt down burned down. Every discipline is facing a dramatic change due to technology, so too is the broadcasting industry. It's not going to be immune to this disruption.

However the Nigerian certificate factor comes to play, and this is the question on if mass communication degree holding graduates are more appealing candidates in a job recruitment process to the non mass communication graduates.
[/b]

[b]My Personal Experience:I never studied mass communication, i studied something way different, in my 200level i got into a radio station and worked as a webdeveloper, then got to be an On Air presenter, as time went on i fell in love with new editing and reporting/ writing, i was schooled then by the head of news for the radio station and reported several news on some few occasions.

In my final year, final semester i got to meet this man in one of the APC functions, and something happened, i rewrote a speech meant to be read by an Aspirant, a certain word drew his attention to me and that was the word "Hegemony". Several were impressed with my writings and from there on i got a job and began working at one of Nigeria's leading Newspaper company in Nigeria as a reporter.

Note, that in all this i never read mass communication or something related, Graduating from the university last year i applied to a well known tv station and got a job however did not get to go on due to career decisions such as following money path- Business and neglecting the monthly pay.

Do one been a Mass communication graduate matters in been a Tv Presenter? No it does not.
Live experience? Several experience. Several Channels Tv Presenters are not Mass comm grads, Sound-City, and even reputable international Tv Presenters likes of Mason of CNN MONEY etc.

O do i need tell you that i even scaled through the Aljazeera correspondent quest? In the end, you just have to ask yourself if Broadcasting job gives you joy or the money does.

At an age of 23 for me now the money does brings the JOY, not the career. When i get to 29 after i must have achieved what i set as my goals then i can begin to go after my passion.

So brother if you really and truly wants to be a TV presenter, you can achieve your dreams without having a mass comm cert.
[/b]

“If we fail, we need to try again. That’s what startups do, Let’s take something and just try it. We need more failures. We need more failures to teach us what we need to do.”
Thanks so much for this. I needed people like you around me. People that can motivate others, people that are not selfish, people that likes to see others succeed. Am following bro. Let me get motivated the more.
Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by learoce(m): 11:20am On Aug 05, 2016
Donald3d:
Kindly state your inclination with science ,engineering,medicine ,please let us know sir cool cool,it would be difficult to give advise or words of encouragement if we dont know

Biochemistry
Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by learoce(m): 11:23am On Aug 05, 2016
moscobabs:
register for school of journalism in Ikeja

op hope u fine sa?

we no want to dey see ugly faces on our TV station again o

Tnx 4 d blend of info and humour. grin
Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by EmmyDe25(m): 9:30pm On Aug 06, 2016
tushchic:
Get NIPR certification and u're good to go.
What does NIPR has to do with TV broadcast?
Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by tushchic: 9:13am On Aug 16, 2016
EmmyDe25:

What does NIPR has to do with TV broadcast?

Because its so broad that u can use it in journalism, broadcasting, advertising, public relations, e.t.c
Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by EmmyDe25(m): 8:11am On Aug 18, 2016
tushchic:

Because its so broad that u can use it in journalism, broadcasting, advertising, public relations, e.t.c
No. There are specific courses you can do in Broadcast media(print or electronic), APCON is tailor-fitted for advertising. NIPR is for people in the PR field. So your assertion doesn't jive.
Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by tushchic: 8:34am On Aug 18, 2016
EmmyDe25:

No. There are specific courses you can do in Broadcast media(print or electronic), APCON is tailor-fitted for advertising. NIPR is for people in the PR field. So your assertion doesn't jive.

U're just talking like a layman bro. With Nipr certification, one can go n study Mass comm from 3rd year or go for masters in advertising and broadcasting. So i knew what i was talking about when i said he should get Nipr cert
Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by EmmyDe25(m): 5:00pm On Aug 18, 2016
tushchic:

U're just talking like a layman bro. With Nipr certification, one can go n study Mass comm from 3rd year or go for masters in advertising and broadcasting. So i knew what i was talking about when i said he should get Nipr cert
I am not a layman, sir. Communication is my field. As a matter of fact, i major in media and advertising so i know what i'm talking about as well. NIPR isn't a requisite for Broadcast media or advertising.
Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by royalty295(f): 8:10pm On Aug 18, 2016
wolexanda:
You can go to frcn in GRA around adekunle fajuyi Rd, they run certificate courses on department on broadcasting. Minimum of 3-6 month you aren't true and you will be fix up in any radio company. Most the Wazobia presenters too are science and engineering people, omotunde Lolo is loyal by profession egos is an engineer by profession, even yoh. You can call me on this number for more enquiry 08098786893
Hi, pls do u know if FRCN has a branch in PH? I really want to be an OAP but cnt find any broadcasting school down here in PH. Thanks as u reply.
Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by tushchic: 8:44am On Aug 19, 2016
EmmyDe25:

I am not a layman, sir. Communication is my field. As a matter of fact, i major in media and advertising so i know what i'm talking about as well. NIPR isn't a requisite for Broadcast media or advertising.

Are u serious, tell me about it cos am a practising PR who's currently doing masters in Public relatons and advertising
Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by EmmyDe25(m): 11:15am On Aug 19, 2016
tushchic:

Are u serious, tell me about it cos am a practising PR who's currently doing masters in Public relatons and advertising
lol.. I just did. I work in the same field as well.
Re: A Science Related Degree But Interested In TV Broadcasting Job, Advise On How To by jswagg4(m): 10:09am On Nov 01, 2016
Mosesoly:
I am interested in this topic also, people should come out with advice, I read a Science related course also, am presently a serving corps member,i anchor a programme on ABS,i will like to follow this path after my service year. Please I need useful advice. Thanks
I am exactly in your shoes. Although I passed out in October. I also anchored a programme in a radio station. I can think of doing anything else. Maybe try for free radio or tv internship?

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Indispensable Role Of The Laboratory Scientist In The Health Sector / Ican To Release November 2017 Diet Exam Result January 18th, 2018 / How To Earn The Respect Of Your Employer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.