Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,432 members, 7,815,976 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:39 PM

Should A Christian Restitute? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should A Christian Restitute? (15275 Views)

How Do We Restitute Forgotten Sin?? / Why A Christian Girl Converted To Islam (Photo) / 5 Reasons Why You Should Not Restitute (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should A Christian Restitute? by Jeel: 12:50pm On Aug 05, 2016
Restitution basically is paying for your wrongs.

So as a Christian today should we restitute?

Pls support your stand with cogent reasons and scriptures if possible. Thank you!
Re: Should A Christian Restitute? by promise10: 2:12pm On Aug 05, 2016
Jeel:
Restitution basically is paying for your wrongs.

So as a Christian today should we restitute?

Pls support your stand with cogent reasons and scriptures if possible. Thank you!
Thanks so much for opening up this thread on this issue! God bless you!

This issue of restitution is something that is getting out of hand. Restitution is GOOD. But the problem is ON WHAT GROUND are you doing the restitution.

My problem with restitution arises each time some ignorant people make it look like a requirement for salvation. And they would always use zacheus(sorry, if not spelt well) to preach it to look like a requirement for salvation, not knowing that zacheus did it FOR A REASON. And they would mischievously shy away from the criminal at the cross, woman with issue of blood, woman of samaria(the prostitute), woman of adulterer who never restituted. This is shameful!

RESTITUTION IS NOT A REQUIREMENT FOR GETTING SAVED!

If I am saved because I restituted, then I AM THE SAVIOUR and not jesus christ because it is MY OWN GOODNESS. But if I am saved because Jesus died ON MY BEHALF, took the punishment of my sins ON MY BEHALF and FREELY declare HIS PERSONAL righteousness on me, then there is no doubt that he TOTALLY SAVES! We have to agree on one thing, which is that restitution is a GOOD WORK.

The bible makes it clear that salvation/eternal life/righteousness of God is NOT by grace + good works, rather it is evident in the scriptures that it is all about 100% grace OR 100% perfect good works.

Romans 11:6;6 And IF by grace, then is it NO MORE OF WORKS(including restitution): OTHERWISE GRACE IS NO MORE GRACE. But if it be of works, then is it NO MORE GRACE: otherwise work is no more work.

In the above verse, paul was not saying that we should not do good works(including restitution), rather he was saying that if we receive salvation/eternal life/God's righteousness by relying on 100% God's grace, it is NO MORE by relying on our 100% perfect good works(even though no man can attain this). And that if we try to add good works to grace; as a means of getting saved, then GRACE IS NO MORE GRACE.

Why did paul say "...OTHERWISE GRACE IS NO MORE GRACE."? To answer this you have to know that the grace of God, only through which we were saved is a gift, not a reward for good work.

Eph 2:8-9;"8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: IT IS THE GIFT OF GOD:
9 NOT OF WORKS(including restitution), lest any man should boast."

Misinformed christian may say that I am preaching hyper-grace, but they don't know that God's grace on it's own is hyper. That's why it passes all understanding and imaginations, it makes one imagine. How can God...?

The grace of God which is a gift is NOT a cheap gift(which means you offered something little to EARN it), but a FREE GIFT!

Romans 5:15;"15 But not as the offence, so also is the FREE GIFT. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the FREE GIFT BY GRACE, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many."

So, in roms 11:6, paul was saying that if a FREE GIFT(grace) should demand your goodness, then the free gift is NO MORE a free gift.

So, if salvation/eternal life/God's righteousness/justification is given to us a FREE GIFT(grace), then it is NO MORE because of how good you are(even if you restitute). Your goodness adds NOTHING to your salvation.

I will leave you with this:
Romans 3:24 "Being justified(made righteous, saved) FREELY(not demanding your goodness/good works) by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:"

THE REASON FOR RESTITUTION:
The only reason why one should restitute if HE WILLS, is for the reason of self-satisfaction and not as a means of getting saved. Because salvation of the lord is a free gift. Jesus NEVER told zacheus to restitute. Zacheus did it for the reason of self-satisfaction, to prove his salvation before men. And him proving his salvation before men through restitution adds NOTHING to his salvation, because Jesus gives it out FREELY.

46 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Should A Christian Restitute? by Scholar8200(m): 2:52pm On Aug 05, 2016
Of course, in order to have a conscience void of offence toward God and toward men!

Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee;

24 Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.
Matthew 5:23,24

If we dont do this, Jesus said we are building on sand!

5 Likes

Re: Should A Christian Restitute? by Jeel: 3:22pm On Aug 05, 2016
Scholar8200:
Of course, in order to have a conscience void of offence toward God and toward men!

Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee;

24 Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.

Woww! brilliant contribution

http://kevinashwe.com/did-zacchaeus-restitute/

1 Like

Re: Should A Christian Restitute? by Jeel: 3:26pm On Aug 05, 2016
promise10:

This issue of restitution is something that is getting out of hand. Restitution is GOOD. But the problem is ON WHAT GROUND are you doing the restitution.

My problem with restitution arises each time some ignorant people make it look like a requirement for salvation. And they would always use zacheus(sorry, if not spelt well) to preach it to look like a requirement for salvation, not knowing that zacheus did it FOR A REASON. And they would mischievously shy away from the criminal at the cross, woman with issue of blood, woman of samaria(the prostitute), woman of adulterer who never restituted. This is shameful!

If I am saved because I restituted, then I AM THE SAVIOUR and not jesus christ because it is MY OWN GOODNESS. But if I am saved because Jesus died ON MY BEHALF, took the punishment of my sins ON MY BEHALF and FREELY declare HIS PERSONAL righteousness on me, then there is no doubt that he TOTALLY SAVES! We have to agree on one thing, which is that restitution is a GOOD WORK.

The bible makes it clear that salvation/eternal life/righteousness of God is NOT by grace + good works, rather it is evident in the scriptures that it is all about 100% grace OR 100% perfect good works.

Romans 11:6;6 And IF by grace, then is it NO MORE OF WORKS(including restitution): OTHERWISE GRACE IS NO MORE GRACE. But if it be of works, then is it NO MORE GRACE: otherwise work is no more work.

In the above verse, paul was not saying that we should not do good works(including restitution), rather he was saying that if we receive salvation/eternal life/God's righteousness by relying on 100% God's grace, it is NO MORE by relying on our 100% perfect good works(even though no man can attain this). And that if we try to add good works to grace; as a means of getting saved, then GRACE IS NO MORE GRACE.

Why did paul say "...OTHERWISE GRACE IS NO MORE GRACE."? To answer this you have to know that the grace of God, only through which we were saved is a gift, not a reward for good work.

Eph 2:8-9;"8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: IT IS THE GIFT OF GOD:

Misinformed christian may say that I am preaching hyper-grace, but they don't know that God's grace on it's own is hyper. That's why it passes all understanding and imaginations, it makes one imagine. How can God...?

The grace of God which is a gift is NOT a cheap gift(which means you offered something little to EARN it), but a FREE GIFT!

Romans 5:15;"15 But not as the offence, so also is the FREE GIFT. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the FREE GIFT BY GRACE, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many."

So, in roms 11:6, paul was saying that if a FREE GIFT(grace) should demand your goodness, then the free gift is NO MORE a free gift.

So, if salvation/eternal life/God's righteousness/justification is given to us a FREE GIFT(grace), then it is NO MORE because of how good you are(even if you restitute). Your goodness adds NOTHING to your salvation.

Romans 3:24 "Being justified(made righteous, saved) FREELY(not demanding your goodness/good works) by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:"

The only reason why one should restitute if HE WILLS, is for the reason of self-satisfaction and not as a means of getting saved. Because salvation of the lord is a free gift. Jesus NEVER told zacheus to restitute. Zacheus did it for the reason of self-satisfaction, to prove his salvation before men. And him proving his salvation before men through restitution adds NOTHING to his salvation, because Jesus gives it out FREELY.

This is quite strong. Your points are solid

1 Like

Re: Should A Christian Restitute? by Scholar8200(m): 3:39pm On Aug 05, 2016
Jeel:

Woww! brilliant contribution
Glory to God!

1 Like

Re: Should A Christian Restitute? by promise10: 3:41pm On Aug 05, 2016
Scholar8200:

Firstly, as a christian, it is fundamental to know that the finished work of christ is the genesis of our walk with God, and learn to stay away from our emotions in order not to rate our emotions above the finished work of man's redemption.

You said this;"Of course, in order to have a conscience void of offence toward God and toward men!"

Please I would like you to explain more on this! I would only support this, in the case of before men alone, which points to self satisfaction in righteousness BEFORE MEN(alone). If I should support "towards God", then it simply means that our conscience can not be void of offence towards God when we hear that God punished his son for our sins on our behalf and believe it. It is unscriptural, because it brings the finished work of christ to no effect.

Are you talking about self satisfaction which adds nothing to our salvation? Or are you saying that it's a requirement for salvation?

Are you saying that restitution makes us void of offence before God? That's to say that restitution makes us guiltless before God. If yes, are you saying that restitution is the payment for sin? If yes? Why then did Jesus die? If restitution clears our offences before God, then is the death of christ on our behalf not something stupid?

If restitution clears our sins before God, then christ's death does not wash away sin.

Mind you, it is christ's death OR restitution!

According to your verse, Jesus said this BEFORE he took the punishment of our sins at the cross on OUR BEHALF. Don't judge "AFTER THE CROSS" with "BEFORE THE CROSS". There is a huge difference!

So right now, God's righteousness doesn't function on laws but on faith, the faith of christ.

Phil 3:9;" And that I may [actually] be found and known as in Him, NOT HAVING ANY [SELF-ACHIEVED] righteousness that can be called MY OWN, based on MY OBEDIENCE TO THE LAW'S DEMANDS(ritualistic uprightness and supposed
right standing with God thus acquired), but possessing that [GENUINE RIGHTEOUSNESS] which comes through faith in Christ (the Anointed One), the [truly] right standing with God, which comes from God by [saving] FAITH.

6 Likes

Re: Should A Christian Restitute? by Jeel: 4:02pm On Aug 05, 2016
Thanks for your contributions. I'm working on project with this topic. All contributions are trully appreciated
Re: Should A Christian Restitute? by Lordgel: 11:36pm On Aug 05, 2016
Promise10 Stop this so called "hyper-grace" teaching. Do you know that even forgiveness has conditions to be met? Remember when Jesus said "if you forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your heavenly Father forgive your trespasses." Even Paul said that he should have a conscience void of offence toward God and men. Restitution is a requirement for complete salvation and repentance.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should A Christian Restitute? by Fairgodwin(m): 7:24am On Aug 07, 2016
Absolutely

1 Like

Re: Should A Christian Restitute? by sommy03(m): 7:26am On Aug 07, 2016
I'm following meticulously...
Re: Should A Christian Restitute? by freecocoa(f): 7:26am On Aug 07, 2016
There's no need for that when you can just pray to the air and be forgiven in your imagination.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should A Christian Restitute? by Ugo2039(m): 7:26am On Aug 07, 2016
Here to read and learn......

PS: Nairaland is highly educative, and one can get any material or tool one desires
Re: Should A Christian Restitute? by holluphemydavid(m): 7:28am On Aug 07, 2016
@OP if u read ur Bible very well and always attend Sunday schools, u will knw it's important as a Christian
Re: Should A Christian Restitute? by Fairgodwin(m): 7:29am On Aug 07, 2016
promise10:

Sincerely, you create more confusion with your point than enlightenment. No, restitution is not a prerequisite for salvation but it is a complement of/to salvation.

3 Likes

Re: Should A Christian Restitute? by izzou(m): 7:30am On Aug 07, 2016
promise10:

Wow

So restitution is a choice according to you?

Well done. Keep misleading people.

It is a must.

Lets look at it this way.
I steal someone's property. I then beg God for forgiveness of which he forgives me, then if i LIKE, just as you said, i could go and return it or apologise.

Does this makes sense to you? Jesus said if you dont forgive others, he would never forgive you.

Why does Christ need your forgiveness in order to forgive you?

Restitution is a must. Its such a pity our super mega churches dont preach this .

6 Likes

Re: Should A Christian Restitute? by Florblu(f): 7:30am On Aug 07, 2016
I will simply say restitution should be based on personal conviction.

1 Like

Re: Should A Christian Restitute? by Fairgodwin(m): 7:31am On Aug 07, 2016
Scholar8200:

May God bless you jare. In fact, restitution is a must for every genuine born again Christian.

4 Likes

Re: Should A Christian Restitute? by holluphemydavid(m): 7:31am On Aug 07, 2016
freecocoa:
There's no need for that when you can just pray to the air and be forgiven in your imagination.
If u read Bible frequently, u will knw it's important, but not easy to do, as I said as a Christian is wot u nid to do

1 Like

Re: Should A Christian Restitute? by DozieInc(m): 7:32am On Aug 07, 2016
Re: Should A Christian Restitute? by freecocoa(f): 7:33am On Aug 07, 2016
holluphemydavid:

If u read Bible frequently, u will knw it's important, but not easy to do, as I said as a Christian is wot u nid to do
The most important thing is to ask for forgiveness. if I can do just that and be forgiven, why waste time/resources with restitution?
Re: Should A Christian Restitute? by Pvin: 7:34am On Aug 07, 2016
Perhaps restitution will emancipate one from psychological bondage caused as a result of his or her sin.
Re: Should A Christian Restitute? by Assistance(m): 7:35am On Aug 07, 2016
Yh he or she should
Re: Should A Christian Restitute? by Ajusshi: 7:35am On Aug 07, 2016
go
Re: Should A Christian Restitute? by Nobody: 7:35am On Aug 07, 2016
hmmm..

i will reae that epistle when am back from church.

by the way, check my signature
Re: Should A Christian Restitute? by Ajusshi: 7:37am On Aug 07, 2016
freecocoa:
That's if the air is your god.

1 Like

Re: Should A Christian Restitute? by holluphemydavid(m): 7:37am On Aug 07, 2016
To restitute Is not easy though, but it's somtin as a Christian nid to do, for instance, u had caused somebody somtin dat willl neva forget in his or her lifetime, hw we someone go to such person to make restitution(in a case dat death is involved and dey neva knw u were d caused)

1 Like

Re: Should A Christian Restitute? by MadCow1: 7:38am On Aug 07, 2016
Even non Christians should.
Re: Should A Christian Restitute? by BobUg28(m): 7:38am On Aug 07, 2016
_
Re: Should A Christian Restitute? by Lexxyburg(m): 7:39am On Aug 07, 2016
sad sad Christians in the house let's hear your views.

grin
Re: Should A Christian Restitute? by Nobody: 7:40am On Aug 07, 2016
Restitution is restoring back what one has stolen, giving back where one has defrauded, paying debts, Making right lies told where someone has been offended and where the Spirit of God points to us specifically to make rights in our day to day human living and interactions.

NOTE: It is done when a person is genuinely saved from sin.

Luke 19:8 And Zacchaeus stood, and said unto the Lord; Behold, Lord, the half of my goods I give to the poor; and if I have taken any thing from any man by false accusation, I restore him fourfold.

Acts 24:16 And herein do I exercise myself, to have always a conscience void of offence toward God, and toward men.

As a real born Again Christian,

The Spirit of God guides and brings to our remembrance sins that we need to make restitution for through his word or The Spirit leading.

Restitution is a REQUIREMENT for making heaven. Making restitution is following peace with our fellow human.
Hebrews 12:14 Follow peace with all men, AND holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:

Prepare to meet the Lord. Restitution is important with salvation to make heaven, don't be deceived

3 Likes

Re: Should A Christian Restitute? by DevGuru: 7:40am On Aug 07, 2016
Hmm

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? / What Is The Difference Praying For Your Enemy To Die In Church Or Shrine? / Why Is Apostolic Faith Church So Quiet Among The Pentecostal Churches?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.