Stats: 3,153,638 members, 7,820,236 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:57 AM

Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics (20635 Views)

CBN To Banks: Sell Forex To BDCs - Nairametrics / Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics / Ten Banks Pay 143 Directors N7.6bn In 2015 (2) (3) (4)

Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by magnetik(m): 10:18pm On Aug 05, 2016
ayoolanr:

What's my privilege if I'm not a Christian or a Muslim?

You may not get one in that case.. it's a mere privilege not a right.
Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by stchinedu: 10:53pm On Aug 05, 2016
Ghost447:
Two good heads

Are you insinuating... grin
Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by FatPreek(m): 11:45pm On Aug 05, 2016
undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by ceeethru(m): 11:50pm On Aug 05, 2016
Nicur:
Oga both are so wrong!!! how come you did not create a thread then since you were aware??
How do you expect a bigot to create a thread?

Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by Nobody: 11:53pm On Aug 05, 2016
Buhari is meant to be an Emir and not a president. Nigerians hope you people are watching? Islamizing Nigeria Continues.

We watch religion thrive at the expense of the growth of the economy. People can still worship their allah in their houses now.

Mtchew, I rest my case, see you in 2019.

Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by Godsate: 11:57pm On Aug 05, 2016
True color of Buhari is now coming out.

I'm a strong supporter of the present Government expecialy in the area of fighting corruption. I just lost interest in Buhari and the party with this development.

Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by Reference(m): 12:07am On Aug 06, 2016
What is all this noise about. Pilgrimage has always been subsidized in Nigeria as long as I can remember, in good and bad times and this is certainly not the first recession this country has faced.
America is just out of one, Britain is falling back into one, Japan has been more or less in recession for the past 20 years, yet their citizens don't go around in sack clothes and ashes, rolling on the floor in cynical delurium. Haba, Nigerians.
Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by Ligxy(f): 12:19am On Aug 06, 2016
eph12:
School fees is not important enough to be subsidized but hajj is?
Medical bills nko?
Chai
You forgot to mention Nepa bills

Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by Nobody: 12:19am On Aug 06, 2016
magnetik:

They are Nigerians bro.. there should be some privileges in such case
these are hard times my brother, we have to set our priorities right, travelling for religious purposes adds no financial or economic growth to our economy. its not a matter of been a Christian or Muslim, but a case of putting Nigeria's needs first..

if the economy keeps getting worse, don't you know the crime rate , unemployment, etc will increase?

Religion has done more harm than good in Africa, cause its really blinding our sense of judgement.

Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by Reference(m): 12:20am On Aug 06, 2016
Godsate:
True color of Buhari is now coming out.

I'm a strong supporter of the present Government expecialy in the area of fighting corruption. I just lost interest in Buhari and the party with this development.

Pally, it is not new so don't lose your shirt while going balistic. When oil prices were a mere 13 dollars and our foreign reserves was a paltry 9 billion dollars with a debt overhang of 32 billion dollars, pilgrimage was subsidized. I repeat. This is not the worst recession in Nigeria's history.....although I do admit I had previously never seen an Acura MDX TP and a Merc E350 at a taxi stand loading passengers to Berger/Wuse....I was stunned.
Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by kk4kiss(m): 12:24am On Aug 06, 2016
President Buhari is too selective and if he didn't change from his bayas ruling towards a certain set of people , heavenly fire may come to dia rescue and you know what heavenly fire can do? Incase u don't know ask and I will tell u on a private chat

Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by Nobody: 12:24am On Aug 06, 2016
Reference:
What is all this noise about. Pilgrimage has always been subsidized in Nigeria as long as I can remember, in good and bad times and this is certainly not the first recession this country has faced.
America is just out of one, Britain is falling back into one, Japan has been more or less in recession for the past 20 years, yet their citizens don't go around in sack clothes and ashes, rolling on the floor in cynical delurium. Haba, Nigerians.

these countries you called are they not exporting something?
Nigeria is an import dependant country, so we have to buy enough time by spending wisely, before we can be diverse in the right areas.

In England only the premier league pumps billions into their economy, what can Nigeria boost of except for crude oil?

Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by DedeNkem: 12:31am On Aug 06, 2016
Keep religion out of government! Government should not involve itself with any religion!!
Northerners created this nonsense, using public money to sponsor their sick religion!!

Nigerian is a secular nation, not an islamic republic!!! Keep religion out of government. If we want religion in government, then we must include all other regions!

Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by Nobody: 1:23am On Aug 06, 2016
magnetik:
If the same was done for Christian pilgrimage.. so what's wrong to do the same for Muslims...?
Why was it done in the first place?

Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by Sixfootah(m): 1:39am On Aug 06, 2016
mutvy:
A dollar was sold for 100 naira to Christians during their pilgrimage to Jerusalem,nobody raised his or her eyebrows. Why the noise now?What the fuss about this? Please noisemakers, learn how to be tolerant.
you religious fanatic with no common sense, we are not talking Christians vs Muslims here.. after all, these are foreign religions .. we are talking economy and the need for govt to stop funding pilgrimages.. it's more or less tourism.. govt don't subsidize the dollar for you when you want to Holliday in Dubai or Ibiza.. so why Jerusalem or Meka

Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by Nusaf: 2:44am On Aug 06, 2016
Sixfootah:
you religious fanatic with no common sense, we are not talking Christians vs Muslims here.. after all, these are foreign religions .. we are talking economy and the need for govt to stop funding pilgrimages.. it's more or less tourism.. govt don't subsidize the dollar for you when you want to Holliday in Dubai or Ibiza.. so why Jerusalem or Meka
But why didn't u say this when it was done for the Christians. And unnecessary insult can be kept out of this.
Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by ose2me: 5:54am On Aug 06, 2016
Please allow the pilgrims to go and pray for Buhari.

Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by sademola: 6:36am On Aug 06, 2016
fiercehillz:
This is unfair to importers...what have we gained from this pilgrimage?

We should do away with govt subsidy to religious pilgrimages but wait, what are we even importing?
We should develop ourselves

Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by Bigmind(m): 8:25am On Aug 06, 2016
The CBN should explain to Nigerians what economic implication this move will have on the Nigerian economy. I thought our constitution explicitely outlined that the state should not in anyway, both directly and remotely, support any religion. This is the highest level of hypocrisy.
Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by Tundeiab(m): 8:31am On Aug 06, 2016
magnetik:
If the same was done for Christian pilgrimage.. so what's wrong to do the same for Muslims...?
I have 2 questions for you
- was Nigeria in recession then
- How much was the exchange rate then and how much was subsidized?
Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by Nobody: 9:09am On Aug 06, 2016
This is a move by government that favours the rich. Have you seen any poor person going for hajj or jerusalem ?

I dont know why this govt has chosen not to reason..
Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by HammerTheirPapa(f): 10:53am On Aug 06, 2016
decency123:
Omenka will definitely like this grin grin

ofcourse he's muslim parading himself as a "christian middle-beltan". He thinks everyone is m0ronic. grin grin
Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by Nobody: 12:06pm On Aug 06, 2016
gists:
First, it is hypocritical to lament about the amount of money being lost because of the subsidy for Hajj pilgrims even though you kept quiet when the Christian pilgrims were also subsidised by the same government last year.

But having said that, this government campaigned that they will stop wastages. What better/bigger example of wastage can you think of than subsidizing pilgrimage - be it muslims or christians. The money being used for this purpose will go a long way in solving some of our pressing needs.

We should always talk and speak out when the government does something wrong. It is very silly and childish (to say the least) when you speak only when it favor you or while trying to pull down the other. It reminds me of Jibrin and Dogara.

Grow up sir, is it 1994 in your calendar? If the economy was stable i dont thin anyone would bat an eye lid... but we are staring a recession in the face and this is how best to spend the scarce forex? anyway i am heading to the nearest bank on Monday to get me some forex and sell to the black market making a profit of over 100% so yeah!!!
Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by Sixfootah(m): 5:42pm On Aug 06, 2016
Nusaf:

But why didn't u say this when it was done for the Christians. And unnecessary insult can be kept out of this.
be it Christian or Muslim.. govt shld hand off sponsorship.. govt doesn't finance holiday makers... Na fanatism abt foreign religions go kill una..
Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by gists: 7:15pm On Aug 06, 2016
jenigurl:

Grow up sir, is it 1994 in your calendar? If the economy was stable i dont thin anyone would bat an eye lid... but we are staring a recession in the face and this is how best to spend the scarce forex? anyway i am heading to the nearest bank on Monday to get me some forex and sell to the black market making a profit of over 100% so yeah!!!

Tundeiab:

I have 2 questions for you
- was Nigeria in recession then
- How much was the exchange rate then and how much was subsidized?
Are you people kidding me?
Have you guys been living in pluto or something?
Which economy was stable in 2015?
The Naira was pegged at 199 to a usd before the elections in 2015. As at that time the dollar was selling for like 230 in the black market. Is that a sign of stable econmoy? Knowing the evil that they have caused they told us through aunty Nogzi (NOI) that we should tighten our belt as they slam us with austerity in 2014. To you guys that is a sign of stable economy abi? There was nothing stable about the economy that was handed over to this administration. The more reason some of us have never asked PMB to work miracle. But we ask him to keep his promise on stopping wastages like this (be it muslim or christian pilgrimages). To make matters worse, even though the official rate for the naira was N199/usd, the exchange rate approved for pilgrims to Israel was N160/usd. That was at a time when the parallel market was selling usd for waaayyyy above N200. Yet you fanatics didn't put on your economic cap at that time.

So I maintain my point. Though I don't support it as I have clearly stated, I still say it is hypocritical to start crying wolf because it is now Hajj pilgrims. When the same WASTEFUL gesture was extended to christian pilgrims, you were all ok with it.
Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by basadenet: 9:34am On Aug 07, 2016
I hope same will be applicable to our Christian folks

FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste / CBN Sells Dollars To BDCs Below Market Rate At ₦‎1,101/$1 / How Realiable Is Www.myus.com