Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,016 members, 7,953,030 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 09:32 AM

I Am About Making A Decision That Would Cost Me My I.T Placement: Advice - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Am About Making A Decision That Would Cost Me My I.T Placement: Advice (14900 Views)

What Decision You Made That Made Or Marred Your Career? / Boost Your Career With I.T Training + Certification / How To Improve On Your Career With I.T (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am About Making A Decision That Would Cost Me My I.T Placement: Advice by yusscity(m): 11:10pm On Aug 07, 2016
Chiscomax:
I got a placement on the Last week of June, 2016 for my industrial training having completed 3years and a semester of Mechanical Engineering in a prominent Federal University. The I.T placement I got happen to be a project which I believe a lot of money is involved in( this is not my concern anyway).

I have worked with them through some mechanical stages until the site engineer insisted I work with him on electrical engineering jobs which I had to join him because he is a senior colleague after all. 3weeks into the electrical job it started to occur to me that I am;
1. Not gaining mechanical Experience
2. I am being used for most of the work(electrical) by this site engineer since I happen to learn fast and do more than my other colleagues even when they are getting paid and I am not and it is going to 2 months now

I have discussed the issue with the site manager and he promised to talk to the site engineer which I am not certain of he did.

I am fed of everything and the training is becoming frustrating since I am neither Learning what I came for nor getting any pay for doing electrical jobs.

I intend meeting the site manager on Monday to quit if they insist I do the electrical jobs which hectic and comes along side with other mini jobs like digging to lay Cables, climbing of tanks. Please I need your advice

pls guy how can u link me up av bin searching for IT placement for over a month now I study electrical engineering in one of fed unis.....pls my contact 08165884529
Re: I Am About Making A Decision That Would Cost Me My I.T Placement: Advice by yomz1e(m): 1:54am On Aug 08, 2016
No knowledge is a waste, yes you not gaining anything, but believe me it will look good on your CV and make you standout from other jobseekers.

1 Like

Re: I Am About Making A Decision That Would Cost Me My I.T Placement: Advice by Chiscomax(m): 2:08am On Aug 08, 2016
daylife7:

Continue with with gallivanting in NL......... ur carryover will overwhelme u.... u might beg to graduate with pass... wise up... even 2.1 is fyning it difficult to get job.. Small boy

I spit on you. A big boy with a small sense of reasoning.
Re: I Am About Making A Decision That Would Cost Me My I.T Placement: Advice by Chiscomax(m): 2:11am On Aug 08, 2016
victme1:
What gave you the idea that after your schooling and corpertion you will get work as a mechanical engineer olodo. Quit na and tell your unborn child why you are poor or you did not have work idiot.

Better go and learn perseverance and stay put with the electrical work. Include it in your CV that you have a stint on electrical engineering. This will definitely give you an edge when looking for work lazy bones.
Yeye, na una type d say Oga d use una. U want to earn before learning. Smallbtimebu GI say u get experience..... Maka who teach u... I de vex self

I still believe a sensible adult can make a point without cursing you know well, thanks for commenting
Re: I Am About Making A Decision That Would Cost Me My I.T Placement: Advice by iguita: 5:52am On Aug 08, 2016
While I understand your hunger to learn, I am beginning to think it's pride that is pushing you. Your background is mechanical and you are 'learning' electrical, don't you see yourself as a better expert than a pure mechanical person? Do you forget that in 10 years, you could own your own firm and you ca close electrical deals despite been mechanical? Do you know that when you review projects with your subordinates in the next 15 years, the electrical guys cannot bamboozle you with stories and big words from the electrical dictionary? My brother (or sister as the case may be), submit yourself to learn. Learn like an hungry and angry dog, eat all of the knowledge they have to offer you, let them keep their change, whatever they want to pay you cannot buy you more than a couple of Jean trousers. In the next 10 years, you will look back, smile and try calculate how much this 'IT' that students usually carry file about when they do it has earned you and your calculator will scream 'error, error ' because it will surpass your imagination. Learn my bro, learn.
Chiscomax:
I got a placement on the Last week of June, 2016 for my industrial training having completed 3years and a semester of Mechanical Engineering in a prominent Federal University. The I.T placement I got happen to be a project which I believe a lot of money is involved in( this is not my concern anyway).

I have worked with them through some mechanical stages until the site engineer insisted I work with him on electrical engineering jobs which I had to join him because he is a senior colleague after all. 3weeks into the electrical job it started to occur to me that I am;
2. I am being used for most of the work(electrical) by this site engineer since I happen to learn fast and do more than my other colleagues even when they are getting paid and I am not and it is going to 2 months now

I have discussed the issue with the site manager and he promised to talk to the site engineer which I am not certain of he did.

I am fed of everything and the training is becoming frustrating since I am neither Learning what I came for nor getting any pay for doing electrical jobs.

I intend meeting the site manager on Monday to quit if they insist I do the electrical jobs which hectic and comes along side with other mini jobs like digging to lay Cables, climbing of tanks. Please I need your advice

1 Like

Re: I Am About Making A Decision That Would Cost Me My I.T Placement: Advice by iguita: 6:01am On Aug 08, 2016
Dear Chiscomax,

After dropping my advice, I started reading through other people's advises and I see a trend, almost everyone leaned to the Same side. But I thought this guy's post was instructive, a graduate and what set him aside was that he could drive a manual car. Think Driver. Now if the dude because of this decided to leave, his post will tell you what he would have missed. Be wise bro.

jnizzle:
My advice goes thus....u r very lucky to even learn the electerical aspect that you r currently doing.....wen u finish school, you might not even study wat u learnt in sch......wen I did my IT, I did mine wit a movie production company, my knowledge of driving a manual vechicle was put to use as I was d only 1 who could drive a manual car, I came to learn editing but I learnt more things dan I can imagine.....I still get called by dem years after to do jobs for dem and I get paid for it, let's just say am part of their family nw. So endure.

1 Like

Re: I Am About Making A Decision That Would Cost Me My I.T Placement: Advice by Chiscomax(m): 6:43am On Aug 08, 2016
iguita:
Dear Chiscomax,

After dropping my advice, I started reading through other people's advises and I see a trend, almost everyone leaned to the Same side. But I thought this guy's post was instructive, a graduate and what set him aside was that he could drive a manual car. Think Driver. Now if the dude because of this decided to leave, his post will tell you what he would have missed. Be wise bro.

I understand his point
Re: I Am About Making A Decision That Would Cost Me My I.T Placement: Advice by Chiscomax(m): 6:59am On Aug 08, 2016
iamprestige:
End time I.T student.
Peter i humbly advice you give your life to Christ and turn from your wicked ways and the only the shall you find favour and your land be healed.

Lol... Gerraway quagmire
Re: I Am About Making A Decision That Would Cost Me My I.T Placement: Advice by delishpot: 8:12am On Aug 08, 2016
Chiscomax:

Tell them the expectations of your shool and ask that they kindly place you in the department that will help you gain more experience. In as much as no knowledge is a waste, I understand your desire to have hands on training in your chosen field. Don't quit, talk to the person in charge and keep talking. Don't stop after just one talk. Talk every time you see him or call ever so often to talk. You may even strike a deal to rotate work (a week or two ) in each department. Be calm and genuinely open when talking. Do not keep resentment even if he says no.

1 Like

Re: I Am About Making A Decision That Would Cost Me My I.T Placement: Advice by Chiscomax(m): 8:29am On Aug 08, 2016
delishpot:

Tell them the expectations of your shool and ask that they kindly place you in the department that will help you gain more experience. In as much as no knowledge is a waste, I understand your desire to have hands on training in your chosen field. Don't quit, talk to the person in charge and keep talking. Don't stop after just one talk. Talk every time you see him or call ever so often to talk. You may even strike a deal to rotate work (a week or two ) in each department. Be calm and genuinely open when talking. Do not keep resentment even if he says no.

Thanks alot
Re: I Am About Making A Decision That Would Cost Me My I.T Placement: Advice by evelynakin: 8:42am On Aug 08, 2016
MY CANDID ADVICE FOR YOU IS TO STICK TO IT AND LEARN A LOT. THAT MIGHT BE ALL U NEED FOR A GREAT FUTURE TO COME AND ALSO IT MIGHT BE THE BIGGEST RECOMMENDATION YOU WILL EVER NEED. DONT PLACE MONEY BEFORE KNOWLEDGE SINCE ITS JUST AN IT PROGRAM. YOUR DESTINY IS DIFFERENT FROM OTHERS MAKING MONEY NOW.

1 Like

Re: I Am About Making A Decision That Would Cost Me My I.T Placement: Advice by EZEBEL: 3:15pm On Aug 08, 2016
dudet:
I don't understand why young people are always in a hurry, particularly when it comes to making money via their profession. The industrial training period is exactly what it says, industrial training. In other countries, are you aware that they don't even pay students during IT? Why not just focus and learn all you can during this period. Remember, the knowledge you gain now can still come in useful to you in the future. Just calm down and learn.

Guy oh sorry bae you said it all. the guy dey para too much. ordinary I.T person, wey men dey trek street find work.

him think say he is too good. na when him come out of school him go know Buhari regime and people losing their job is like 5&6.
Re: I Am About Making A Decision That Would Cost Me My I.T Placement: Advice by Chiscomax(m): 3:41pm On Aug 08, 2016
EZEBEL:

Guy oh sorry bae you said it all. the guy dey para too much. ordinary I.T person, wey men dey trek street find work.

him think say he is too good. na when him come out of school him go know Buhari regime and people losing their job is like 5&6.

The school has it's expectations and does not consider who rules. I am concerned more about my defense.
Re: I Am About Making A Decision That Would Cost Me My I.T Placement: Advice by olumyde5(m): 4:11pm On Aug 08, 2016
Kindly stay and sap as much knowledge as you can, at this stage that is worth much more than the money. You might really not know that now but trust me it is worth more.
Re: I Am About Making A Decision That Would Cost Me My I.T Placement: Advice by Chiscomax(m): 4:21pm On Aug 08, 2016
olumyde5:
Kindly stay and sap as much knowledge as you can, at this stage that is worth much more than the money. You might really not know that now but trust me it is worth more.

Dats My conclusion

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ican Professional Examination Result Is Out / How Do I Help My Mum Retrieve Her Pension / 5 Tips On Making Extra Cash Besides Your Salary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.