Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,855 members, 7,817,529 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:49 PM

Military Officers Shot Dead In Niger State - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Military Officers Shot Dead In Niger State (27380 Views)

Two FRSC Officers Shot In Abia By Security Aides Of Top Govt Official's Wife / The First 30 Nigerian Military Officers, June 1959 (Throwback Photo) / Full List Of Retired Military Officers Released (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Military Officers Shot Dead In Niger State by BeeBeeOoh(m): 12:25am On Aug 07, 2016
•8 suspected bandits also killed, 57 arrested

By Kingsley Omonobi, Abuja

An army officer, eight soldiers and two airforce men were killed, yesterday, when suspected armed bandits and gun runners opened fire on them as they went on a search and recovery operation in three communities in Niger State.

During the confrontation, eight suspected bandits and gun runners were shot dead by troops while 57 others were arrested. Two soldiers were missing in action.

A statement on the operation, signed by Col. Sani Usman, Acting Director, Army Public Relations, last night, said the battle ensued following covert surveillance and intelligence reports on the activities of some gun runners and armed bandits in Kopa, Dagma and Gagaw villages of Bosso Local Government Area, Niger State. Consequently, according to him, troops of 31 Artillery Brigade, 1 Division Nigerian Army, in conjunction with Nigeria Air Force detachment on Internal Security Operation MESA, went on “quick cordon and search in the affected areas to recover suspected weapon cache and arrest” the suspected persons and the armed bandits.

“Contrary to statements attributed to some questionable vested interests, the troops were on legitimate official duty aimed at safeguarding lives and property in the area”, Usman said.

The army spokesman narrated: “While approaching and deploying to carry out their lawful duty, the troops came under simultaneous and sporadic shootings in all the three locations. “They, however, responded as necessary in line with the rules of engagement.

“Sadly, an officer and eight soldiers of the Nigerian Army and two airmen of the Nigeria Air Force lost their lives in the line of national duty.

“Additionally, one soldier is still missing while two of their colleagues were seriously wounded. “The suspected gun runners and armed bandits also burnt down four operational vehicles and vandalized two others.

According to Usman, the troops also carted away four AK-47 rifles and one Fabrique Nationale (FN) rifle belonging to the deceased soldiers. He went on: “The troops also killed eight of the armed bandits and arrested 57 others. “They also recovered large quantity of arms and ammunition. The recovered items include three AK-47 rifles,10 Local AK-47 rifles, 9 locally made pistols, six revolver guns, which fires 7.62mm (special ammunition), 45 loaded dane guns, 10 clubs and cudgels, 41 arrows, 18 bow cases, 122 cutlasses and machetes as well as 20 daggers.

“ Other items recovered include 31 axes, 63 rounds of 7.62 (special) ammunition, 10 Bajaj motorcycles, assorted charms and amulets, two vehicles, 38 mobile telephone handsets, a wristwatch, 5 identity cards, passport photographs, cash sum of N23,870.00k, 5 Japanese Yen and 35 different denominations of old Nigerian currency.

“Also recovered were 15 catapults, eight torch lights, two gun powder bottles, 4 empty cases of ammunition and 41 cartridges.

“The troops also seized a military waist belt and a pair of military combat boots.

“It is important to stress that the nefarious activities of the gun runners and the armed bandits has direct bearing with the influx of weapons and general insecurity in some parts of the Federal Capital Territory and the North-West geo-political zone of the country. “The same gun runners have been confirmed to be the suppliers of arms to armed robbery gangs that were involved in series of armed robbery attacks along Minna-Bida Road and environs”. The Army spokesman disclosed that although the situation is under control, the military will not rest on its oars until all those involved are arrested and brought to justice.

“ The military will continue to deal with any violent threat to our national security”, he stated. “ All law abiding citizens are enjoined to go about their lawful duties as the cordon and search operation continues in the general area and if necessary expand to other identified areas to keep our people safe

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/08/niger-battle-gun-runners-army-officer-8soldiers-2-air-force-officers-shot-dead/

3 Likes

Re: Military Officers Shot Dead In Niger State by madridguy(m): 12:31am On Aug 07, 2016
So many armed bandits everywhere.[b][/b]

5 Likes

Re: Military Officers Shot Dead In Niger State by amuokuko: 1:27am On Aug 07, 2016
If Buhari ve supported GEJ when he lost the 2011 election, I am very sure the issue of armed bandits would ve been reduced to its barest minimum..

Now Buhari is reaping from where he sowed..

I just pity our soldiers that re at the receiving end...

61 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Military Officers Shot Dead In Niger State by Nobody: 4:59am On Aug 07, 2016
angry
Re: Military Officers Shot Dead In Niger State by lovere: 5:21am On Aug 07, 2016
Nigeria a country at war with itself.

6 Likes

Re: Military Officers Shot Dead In Niger State by tempest01(m): 5:31am On Aug 07, 2016
This is madness....

The federal government cannot disarm the herdsmen, cannot even rise up against tribalism to condemn their activities, cannot do what they swore by the holy book to do - protect lives and properties. when communities stock pile arms in self defense, then intelligence report comes in, and the military becomes effective. They can now cordon and search .

They will then release statements that are favourable to them.

A storm is brewing in the teacup.

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Military Officers Shot Dead In Niger State by koladebrainiac(m): 5:32am On Aug 07, 2016
Na wa ooo
Arms n amunitions everywhere..
How did we get here

1 Like

Re: Military Officers Shot Dead In Niger State by Adminisher: 5:39am On Aug 07, 2016
amuokuko:
If Buhari ve supported GEJ when he lost the 2011 election, I am very sure the issue of armed bandits would ve been reduced to its barest minimum..

Now Buhari is reaping from where he sowed..

I just pity our soldiers that re at the receiving end...

To support a clueless and corrupt nonenitty?. The arms everywhere are a legacy of PDP 16 years in power if you blame Buhari for that you will die a moral coward.

PDP had local conflicts going in all George political zones in Nigeria. Every ethnic nationality had a militia.
One of the Western countries' support for Buhari was based on the fact that only him could disarm these militias. Jonathan was too confused, weak and corrupt

37 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Military Officers Shot Dead In Niger State by mynduu44: 5:56am On Aug 07, 2016
Adminisher:

To support a clueless and corrupt nonenitty?. The arms everywhere are a legacy of PDP 16 years in power if you blame Buhari for that you will die a moral coward.

PDP had local conflicts going in all George political zones in Nigeria. Every ethnic nationality had a militia.
One of the Western countries' support for Buhari was based on the fact that only him could disarm these militias. Jonathan was too confused, weak and corrupt

I am sure u re dead already.....
Buhari was Bokoharam, unfortunately he does not not have control of it again and reaping from where he sowed.

He wanted to make GEJ administration ungovernable but today, his administration is worse off..

Ozu calling me a moral coward..

Ozu what is moral coward
Ozu what is George political zone
Gworo chewing Ozu..

79 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Military Officers Shot Dead In Niger State by abumeinben(m): 6:37am On Aug 07, 2016
An army officer, eight soldiers
and two airforce men were killed, yesterday, when suspected armed bandits and gun runners opened fire on them as they went on a search and recovery operation in three communities in Niger State.

You mean vanguard wrote this? I blame GEJ for that grammatical misdirection.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Military Officers Shot Dead In Niger State by bomasek(m): 8:01am On Aug 07, 2016
abumeinben:

You mean vanguard wrote this? I blame GEJ for that grammatical misdirection.
Commissioned officer(Officer) and Non commissioned officers(soldiers)

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Military Officers Shot Dead In Niger State by abumeinben(m): 8:24am On Aug 07, 2016
bomasek:
Commissioned officer(Officer) and Non commissioned officers(soldiers)

would this be damage control?
Re: Military Officers Shot Dead In Niger State by bomasek(m): 8:40am On Aug 07, 2016
abumeinben:

would this be damage control?
Guy in uniform parlance,its called Officers and Men of the Armed Forces to distinguish between the CO and NCO.

2 Likes

Re: Military Officers Shot Dead In Niger State by PaulIdu: 8:47am On Aug 07, 2016
tempest01:
This is madness....

The federal government cannot disarm the herdsmen, cannot even rise up against tribalism to condemn their activities, cannot do what they swore by the holy book to do - protect lives and properties. when communities stock pile arms in self defense, then intelligence report comes in, and the military becomes effective. They can now cordon and search .

They will then release statements that are favourable to them.

A storm is brewing in the teacup.

Its good you know this had nothing to date with gun running ..The Army came Inn defence of herdmen and it turned bloody

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Military Officers Shot Dead In Niger State by Onahsundaymark: 8:56am On Aug 07, 2016
[quote author=abumeinben post=48

You mean vanguard wrote this? I blame GEJ for that grammatical misdirection.[/quote] Go and find out the difference between an officer and a soldier in military parlance please.
Re: Military Officers Shot Dead In Niger State by abumeinben(m): 8:57am On Aug 07, 2016
bomasek:
Guy in uniform parlance,its called Officers and Men of the Armed Forces to distinguish between the CO and NCO.

Oga, I be barrck boy...and I did collective noun in use of English.

1 Like

Re: Military Officers Shot Dead In Niger State by TheFreeOne: 10:18am On Aug 07, 2016
I hope Nigerians discerning enough knows what's going on in this country.

Buhari's presidency is never a blessing and has become a stoke for a conflagration that may consume all if stakeholders failed to do the needful asap.

I believe we've not heard the real truth behind the invasion by the military and it won't surprise if it's to safeguard vested interests.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Military Officers Shot Dead In Niger State by bomasek(m): 10:21am On Aug 07, 2016
abumeinben:

Oga, I be barrck boy...and I did collective noun in use of English.
Guy I no get ya strength, been a barracks boy isn't an achievement. I stay in a flat n I won't raise my kids in the barracks,thanks.

17 Likes

Re: Military Officers Shot Dead In Niger State by DabuIIIT: 10:45am On Aug 07, 2016
Where be the 'concerned' niger delta environmental activists and zoogerian afonja warriors when u need them?
Oh i get it,their beloved ipob is not mentioned

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Military Officers Shot Dead In Niger State by 7lives: 11:19am On Aug 07, 2016
Adminisher:

If you see the kinds of ammunitions they brought to my hood in the name power, you go weak.

1 Like

Re: Military Officers Shot Dead In Niger State by abumeinben(m): 12:50pm On Aug 07, 2016
bomasek:
Guy I no get ya strength, been a barracks boy isn't an achievement. I stay in a flat n I won't raise my kids in the barracks,thanks.

I only read the "I don't have ya strength" part of your reply. Let's leave it that way... Peace cool

2 Likes

Re: Military Officers Shot Dead In Niger State by Onyejiuwaokoh: 1:36pm On Aug 07, 2016
I commend the villagers for boldness and bravery, the herdsmen went there last month and slaughtered as many as they wanted. The military did not respond nor went after the murderers(herdsmen) but immediately the villagers armed themselves to avoid subsequent attacks, the herdsmen patron(pmb) directed the soldiers to go and disarm the innocent villagers so that the herdsmen will not be resisted during attacks .

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Military Officers Shot Dead In Niger State by Bantino(m): 2:19pm On Aug 07, 2016
Na wah ooo

Meanwhile on Aisha Buhari's visit to America, see what I found on Facebook from a concerned Nigeria living in United States. Please don't quote me yet, call the number and confirm first.

Posted 18 hrs ago·
I can authoritatively say it that Fayose has not been proved wrong.

Lemme ask you yes you. Is it possible for the first lady of any country to visit another country without being received by even an ambassador? I'm here in America and there is no airport in America with that number of black people. What about her itinerary, don't we deserve the right to know? Why the clandestine movement? Was she smuggled in and out of the USA?

I just called the United States Institute of Peace in Washington DC. They have no Itinerary schedule for Aisha B. The phone number is 202-457-1700. You can also call yourself.

Where is Aisha Buhari?
Concerned Nigerian Living in the USA

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Military Officers Shot Dead In Niger State by Sunnycliff(m): 2:19pm On Aug 07, 2016
Trouble Everywhere!
But our military should always take more time on intelligence reports to minimize casualties in our armed forces!

2 Likes

Re: Military Officers Shot Dead In Niger State by MadCow1: 2:20pm On Aug 07, 2016
So sad.
Re: Military Officers Shot Dead In Niger State by GlorifiedTunde(m): 2:22pm On Aug 07, 2016
And some dumb people were saying the gun runners are villagers protecting themselves.

I wonder the kind of generation we're in. People are so quick to judge the NA all because GEJ did not win the election.

Ndi ara ! angry angry angry

sCun:
They bought those weapons to defend themselves against fulani herdsmen, something which our military and police have blatantly refused to do. No amount of spinning will change the truth. Now they have gone to disarm the community paving way for another fulani attack.
PaulIdu:

This is one of the saddest stories in modern Nigeria ,a sleepy Niger village decides to arm and mobilize it self after multiple Fulani raids and suddenly the Nigerian Army appears as usual to disarm them just to pave way for the Murderous fulanis ..when will Nigeria Army even attempt to disarm just a single Fulani man
realjoker:
NA are nothing but as$holes, I don't know when locals being in possession of locally made pistol turn to gun running. This villagers were attacked by the FULANI Herdsmen some weeks ago, without the assistance of the NA, now they are stockpiling arms to defend themselves,they called it gun running.
Re: Military Officers Shot Dead In Niger State by afanide: 2:23pm On Aug 07, 2016
today Sunday
Re: Military Officers Shot Dead In Niger State by Sermwell(m): 2:23pm On Aug 07, 2016
This is sad! May God help us undecided
Re: Military Officers Shot Dead In Niger State by Rhotiz: 2:23pm On Aug 07, 2016
Damn..sad news..Rip to d dead

Re: Military Officers Shot Dead In Niger State by kaen1317: 2:24pm On Aug 07, 2016
Crime wave in the north is now comparable to Iraq or Afghanistan

1 Like

Re: Military Officers Shot Dead In Niger State by qualityovenbake(m): 2:24pm On Aug 07, 2016
RIP to the fallen Soldiers. I hope the 3 communities won't experience a reprisal attack from the Nigeria Army.
Re: Military Officers Shot Dead In Niger State by Oildichotomy(m): 2:29pm On Aug 07, 2016
They are now Gun runners and not Fulani herdsmen.

If you are smart enough, you will understand clearly that the government is focusing on the media to achieve its selfish aim instead of facing the core responsibility of governance, People are hungry and being killed unjustly for crying out loud.

The trend has been one-week one news talk-point and gradually the media is so influenced that they have remove the Fulani to incorporate the idea that it is a Columbia Mafia-like gun-cartel of some sort. You can believe all you want!!

I know the Zombeic elements will continue to cheer them on, but there is a African proverb that says
"The grass that the goat like eating often times will apparently be it's poison when it wants to be killed"

#IgiveUpOnThisCountry

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buhari With Ita-Giwa: Says, "2017 Budget Will Not Be Padded Under My Watch" / 400 Years After, Descendants Of Slave Merchant Say They’re Proud / Senate Gives Obama's Admin 7-day Utimatum To Remove Nigeria From The Black List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.