Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,169 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:17 AM

American-born Nigerian Talents Featuring At The Rio 2016 Olympics - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / American-born Nigerian Talents Featuring At The Rio 2016 Olympics (39619 Views)

Ogenyi Onazi To Donate Boots To Nigerian Talents On His Return Home / Nigeria Vs Honduras: Rio 2016 Olympics 3rd Place (3 - 2) On 20th August 2016 / Rio 2016: Egyptians Wear Hijab While Playing Volleyball With Germany (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: American-born Nigerian Talents Featuring At The Rio 2016 Olympics by Slimflame(m): 5:33pm On Aug 08, 2016
Junior66:
@OP OKOLO is a name common to the Igalas or igala-igbo border areas. The Igbos bear Okoro while the Igalas bear Okolo, both names are the same but one was corrupted by the borrowee tribe. Originally an Igala name i think.
Guy go siddon
Re: American-born Nigerian Talents Featuring At The Rio 2016 Olympics by Junior66(m): 5:33pm On Aug 08, 2016
RedboneSmith:

The Igbo bear both Okolo and Okoro depending on the dialect. I didn't even know the Igalas use it until now. But if there was a borrowing, the Igbos were definitely not the ones who did the borrowing.

Okolo/Okoro has a definite meaning in Igbo. It means 'young man'. There is no other word for young man in Igbo that I know. What does Okolo mean in Igala?
Actually i dn't know what Okolo means in Igala. Okolobia means youngman in Igala though. Okolo is a common Igala name. My cousin's surname is Okolo and dey are not even close to the igbo border areas.
Re: American-born Nigerian Talents Featuring At The Rio 2016 Olympics by Slimflame(m): 5:36pm On Aug 08, 2016
Junior66:

Actually i dn't know what Okolo means in Igala. Okolobia means youngman in Igala though. Okolo is a common Igala name. My cousin's surname is Okolo and dey are not even close to the igbo border areas.
if nah drug matter nw....u will not knw ur cousin name..hypocrites
Re: American-born Nigerian Talents Featuring At The Rio 2016 Olympics by YINKS89(m): 5:38pm On Aug 08, 2016
amolak:
And you will also be named as omo ale
if dats what it takes @least i'll b made tongue wink wink
Re: American-born Nigerian Talents Featuring At The Rio 2016 Olympics by ugolucas: 5:39pm On Aug 08, 2016
I hail them! Most times, talent shine when you're out the zoo!

http://ng.pexbank.com/user-profile/acumenexchangers/
Re: American-born Nigerian Talents Featuring At The Rio 2016 Olympics by socialmediaman: 5:43pm On Aug 08, 2016
Re: American-born Nigerian Talents Featuring At The Rio 2016 Olympics by socialmediaman: 5:44pm On Aug 08, 2016
niyi123:

They are not Nigerians, after all, they were born and brought up in America.

Yes, born and raised in the US, with Nigerian roots. They didn't throw away their names as you can see, they can trace their roots. Don't be surprised if they attend Nigerian meetings and are members of Nigerian associations in the US

2 Likes

Re: American-born Nigerian Talents Featuring At The Rio 2016 Olympics by RedboneSmith(m): 5:44pm On Aug 08, 2016
Junior66:

Interesting. But I am not surprised as I already knew about this.

Igbo people also use Okolobia/Okorobia to mean young man. It's either you say Okolo/Okoro or you say Okolobia/Okorobia. Young woman is Agbogho or Agboghobia. Notice the similar format with 'bia'. I'll like to know what you guys call young woman in Igala.

Okolo/Okoro as a name is so deeply entrenched in Igbo naming culture that it has several derivatives apart from just plain Okolo.

Nwokolo/Nwokoro = son of the youth.

Okoroafor = young man born on Afor day.

Okorocha = Light-skinned young man.

Okolobu = young man born in his father's reception hall (obu/obu)

Etc.

2 Likes

Re: American-born Nigerian Talents Featuring At The Rio 2016 Olympics by ooshinibos: 5:49pm On Aug 08, 2016
don't blame them , who want to represents a country that don't have basic infrastructures like electricity and portable water , Nigeria is just noise
Re: American-born Nigerian Talents Featuring At The Rio 2016 Olympics by kikies(m): 5:52pm On Aug 08, 2016
FemiFaniKayode:
Is this for info or "run it in their face" purposes?

OP and lala una eat foofoo with fried egg??

I'm sure u min fufu with fried egg
My bro,na so dem dey chop am for Ghana ooo
Re: American-born Nigerian Talents Featuring At The Rio 2016 Olympics by Sprintson(m): 5:56pm On Aug 08, 2016
Junior66:
@OP OKOLO is a name common to the Igalas or igala-igbo border areas. The Igbos bear Okoro while the Igalas bear Okolo, both names are the same but one was corrupted by the borrowee tribe. Originally an Igala name i think.

Don't say wat u don't know..
Okolo is an igbo name

1 Like

Re: American-born Nigerian Talents Featuring At The Rio 2016 Olympics by nijanigga: 6:12pm On Aug 08, 2016
YINKS89:
awon omo ale ......... bt i dont blame dem sha..... if am in deir shoes ill copy also.
indirectly you just called yourself a bastard.Jealousy, don fry your brain.
Re: American-born Nigerian Talents Featuring At The Rio 2016 Olympics by YINKS89(m): 6:15pm On Aug 08, 2016
nijanigga:

indirectly you just called yourself a bastard.Jealousy, don fry your brain.
wch 1 b ur own.......... u wan make dem ban mi again ba.............. it wont work.
Re: American-born Nigerian Talents Featuring At The Rio 2016 Olympics by Ivoryred(f): 6:19pm On Aug 08, 2016
Junior66:
i have a friend whose name is okolo chimezie from imo state .so don't say what u dnt know....igala/igbo-( brothers/sisters)one-people!
Re: American-born Nigerian Talents Featuring At The Rio 2016 Olympics by piagetskinner(m): 6:22pm On Aug 08, 2016
una just dey claim wetin no dey claimable....

do u think these guys give a horse sh1t about Nigeria
Re: American-born Nigerian Talents Featuring At The Rio 2016 Olympics by nijanigga: 6:46pm On Aug 08, 2016
YINKS89:
wch 1 b ur own.......... u wan make dem ban mi again ba.............. it wont work.
you be wayo man? dem ban you open another account.
Re: American-born Nigerian Talents Featuring At The Rio 2016 Olympics by YINKS89(m): 6:52pm On Aug 08, 2016
nijanigga:

you be wayo man? dem ban you open another account.
i dnt do dat.
Re: American-born Nigerian Talents Featuring At The Rio 2016 Olympics by OdenigboAroli(m): 7:02pm On Aug 08, 2016
Shym3xx:

But Igala founded Nri and a lot of the Eboes from Anambra are actually of Igala descent e.g Odenigbo Aroli lol.

And since you lot are at loggerheads - you might as well slice the chic into two, with Eboe taking one half, while Igala can get the other half lol.

Deal or no deal?

LMAO...Nigga, I thought you are through with this shit. Nri has no record of a dead Igala language.However,we have always been good neighbors. I double dare you to point out an Igala or Igbo out when they sit together. Igala are very cool and we love them.
Re: American-born Nigerian Talents Featuring At The Rio 2016 Olympics by Nobody: 7:17pm On Aug 08, 2016
fippycbk:

First the Binis claimed the name, then the Urhobos and now Igala. Na to do research sure pass for this name.
Okolo is an idoma name... The popular Gospel singer Steve crown is idoma by tribe... And his full name is Steve Okolo.
Re: American-born Nigerian Talents Featuring At The Rio 2016 Olympics by Shym3xx: 7:54pm On Aug 08, 2016
OdenigboAroli:

LMAO...Nigga, I thought you are through with this shit. Nri has no record of a dead Igala language.However,we have always been good neighbors. I double dare you to point out an Igala or Igbo out when they sit together. Igala are very cool and we love them.

Looool.

Was Eri the founder of Nri not one of Igala's Onoja princes? Lol. Heck, there are even Igbos who bear the name "Onoja" today and the name is an ancient Yoruboid name acquired into Igbo via Igala. Ditto Olisa.

You lot can rewrite history all you want, but Nri was Igala lol.
Re: American-born Nigerian Talents Featuring At The Rio 2016 Olympics by loloone: 10:46pm On Aug 08, 2016
Na igbo name joor. Igbos bear okolo too
Re: American-born Nigerian Talents Featuring At The Rio 2016 Olympics by scarred9jan(m): 10:54pm On Aug 08, 2016
Junior66:

Okolo is definitely Igbo. My flatmate is an Okolo and she is 103% Igbo.
Re: American-born Nigerian Talents Featuring At The Rio 2016 Olympics by preciousMI1(f): 5:43am On Aug 09, 2016
Abiagirl777:

come on you r bigger than this sis,if guys do this you shouldn't.we r women,we have dignity .

and men don't have dignity
Re: American-born Nigerian Talents Featuring At The Rio 2016 Olympics by mikolo80: 8:20pm On Aug 10, 2016
CHANNELStv2020:
They are Americans period don't associate them with Nigeria, cus as it stands now Nigeria is a shame and a bad omen to be associated with.
Americans that couldn't make dream team ba
Re: American-born Nigerian Talents Featuring At The Rio 2016 Olympics by Junior66(m): 1:23pm On Aug 27, 2016
scarred9jan:

Okolo is definitely Igbo. My flatmate is an Okolo and she is 103% Igbo.
The traditional ruler of Anyigba town in dekina lga of kogi state, an Igala man bears Shaibu Okolo (Ogohi 1 of Anyigba). Is he an Igbo? What's your point? The owner of the name could be Igala of Igbo as far as I care. Maybe even Idoma.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Dennis Emmanuel Bonaventure Helps Club Brugge Break 21-Year-Old "Curse" / Algerian National Team Arrives Uyo For World Cup Qualifier (Photos) / Arsenal Announce Mikel Arteta As Their New Head Coach

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.