Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,924 members, 7,814,105 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:54 AM

The Proposed 4th Mainland Bridge: Top 10 Facts You Should Know - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Proposed 4th Mainland Bridge: Top 10 Facts You Should Know (31392 Views)

The Proposed Oshodi-Abule Egba BRT Route: 11 Things To Know (PHOTOS) / The Proposed MKO Abiola International Airport Osogbo, Osun State (Photo) / The Proposed Umueri International Cargo Airport: 8 Facts To Note (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Proposed 4th Mainland Bridge: Top 10 Facts You Should Know by charlesucheh(m): 11:41pm On Aug 09, 2016
LEGUS DEY VEX!!! Can you just imagine this kind of break through in Nigeria's mega city When controversial senators are been accused of budget padding, lagos is busy padding bridges to make life comfortable for her citizens!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: The Proposed 4th Mainland Bridge: Top 10 Facts You Should Know by Strongfaze(m): 12:40am On Aug 10, 2016
prosperity2016:
the worst injustice in the hx of mankind is the failure of FEDERAL GOVERNMENT OF THE NORTH TO CONNECT BONNY ISLAND TO PORT-HARCOURT.
despite raking billions of naira yearly from the place.
Why didn't GEJ construct the bridge with his 6 years as the son of the soil?

1 Like

Re: The Proposed 4th Mainland Bridge: Top 10 Facts You Should Know by MizTyna(f): 4:06am On Aug 10, 2016
opalu:
There is no wisdom in saving thousands of houses thereby resulting in the project cost running into hundreds of billions!!
As a Civil Engineer, I understand that when you alter the alignment of the highway leading to the bridge, you automatically increase of decrease the cost of construction. In this case, I could advise the state government to reduce the length of this bridge! There are certain points of closest proximity whereby the 4th Mainland bridge could be the shortest. It is called line of best fit.

I just want to be sure contractor or financier is short-changing the government. My M.Sc project was on the Extension of the Structural Lifespan of the 3rd Mainland bridge. I discovered several troubling issues that both my professors or the professionals representing the FG on the project did not know. Truth is that the 4th Mainland doesn't have any business being that long or that costly. I am entitled to my views. No govt person should call my number!

God help Nigeria.

Why don't you try write to the ministry of works? You never can tell!

And I'm a government person,calling you right now :p

2 Likes

Re: The Proposed 4th Mainland Bridge: Top 10 Facts You Should Know by totorimi: 4:54am On Aug 10, 2016
Bold idea, the governor should try to make it real. Do what ever it takes even if it requires concessionaire but achieve it within your two terms.
Re: The Proposed 4th Mainland Bridge: Top 10 Facts You Should Know by Waspy(m): 5:44am On Aug 10, 2016
Raydos:

Lemme Enlighten You

This Project Is Funded By Investors And Not The Lagos State Government.

So Are You Telling Me Investors Are Responsible For The Penury In Nigeria?

844billion Is Not Gonna Be Used For The Construction Of The Bridge Alone, Part Of It Will Be Used To Compensate Those Who Are Affected, I Mean Those Who Their House Will Be Demolished.
These doesn't still make it a better project for these times. ....Like it said, how is it gonna rake in money to the state coffers?
Re: The Proposed 4th Mainland Bridge: Top 10 Facts You Should Know by Waspy(m): 5:56am On Aug 10, 2016
Harwoyeez:
I share your sentiments too but according to the commissioner, its at no cost to the state government that's d reason so many finance houses key into the said project. D cost would have reduced if d various realignments was not done which would have seen d bridge shorter than d said km. Anyhow n anyway, its a good development
The state govt can advise Its financiers that some projects are more sensible than one.
I have a car, if someone wants to buy one for me or dash/lend me money to buy a bigger or better car that will over the decades need to be replaced by the 5th mainland car, I'll ask the person to build a house for me or start a nice venture.
To be honest with my thoughts, all parties involved in this.. ..State govt, consortium bodies, financial houses, all...are just there for the loot .No Cynism

Imagine that money going into Real estates, the government will make back that capital in a few years and the city will be better structurally economically and aesthetically

1 Like

Re: The Proposed 4th Mainland Bridge: Top 10 Facts You Should Know by tubolancer(m): 6:36am On Aug 10, 2016
There is money for everything, this money for bridge. Lagos never tell una say she broke. Biko leave Lag make she build im bridge if time for real estate come,go take your portion.
Re: The Proposed 4th Mainland Bridge: Top 10 Facts You Should Know by Myself2(m): 6:37am On Aug 10, 2016
Zico5:
Personally I don't believe in party system but individual sagacity. Ambode antecedent will be the greatest in lagos state if he could achieve this feat. He has shown himself to be someone that mean business. 4th mainland bridge will portray lagos as the mega city in Africa and world at large. Let's keep the ball rolling.

Ambode's got big balls
Re: The Proposed 4th Mainland Bridge: Top 10 Facts You Should Know by frakdon(m): 6:42am On Aug 10, 2016
Horlufemi:

Bridge business is serious business
how is that so?
Please I need to know
Re: The Proposed 4th Mainland Bridge: Top 10 Facts You Should Know by SIRTee15: 6:59am On Aug 10, 2016
Waspy:
For that amount (N844 billion) and the present economic conditions of the country, I would prefer if a power plant or refinery or functioning industries or at least a Mega rail project is done

Long term Revenue generating and Job creating projects are what we as Nigerians should be thinking of.. .Not some fancy bridge that will take up little available monies and huge loans/ debts

But then, what do I know. When we get to the bridge. ..

the bridge is important......
it will foster the opening up and development of the ikorodu-lekki axis.
it will also reduce the length of time people get stuck in Lagos traffic.....
the bridge also has a rail line for future use....

govt has no business building industries.....
they should leave that to private investors....
dangote is already building a refinery which is a better alternative to the govt comatose ones.....
it's not all the time we exhibit cynicism.

however, I believe the cost is somewhat on the high side.....
that amount is like 3 billion dollars.....
that should be one of the most expensive bridges in the world....
and for a 37km length bridge, that's pretty expensive.....
the cost should be reviewed but the project should not be abandoned.
Re: The Proposed 4th Mainland Bridge: Top 10 Facts You Should Know by deeonemayana(m): 7:14am On Aug 10, 2016
"MOU was signed in May 2015
In May 2015, Governor Akinwunmi Ambode took a bold step by signing a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with a consortium of firms and finance houses for the construction of the 4th mainland bridge."

Hmmmm....
Pls wen did Ambode resume office

1 Like

Re: The Proposed 4th Mainland Bridge: Top 10 Facts You Should Know by Nobody: 8:02am On Aug 10, 2016
SIRTee15:

the bridge is important......
it will foster the opening up and development of the ikorodu-lekki axis.
it will also reduce the length of time people get stuck in Lagos traffic.....
the bridge also has a rail line for future use....

govt has no business building industries.....
they should leave that to private investors....
dangote is already building a refinery which is a better alternative to the govt comatose ones.....
it's not all the time we exhibit cynicism.

however, I believe the cost is somewhat on the high side.....
that amount is like 3 billion dollars.....
that should be one of the most expensive bridges in the world....
and for a 37km length bridge, that's pretty expensive.....
the cost should be reviewed but the project should not be abandoned.

I actually agree with him
For a start it is so expensive that it may end up as an abandoned project, causing hardship to people living in the area
We need power
With power, manufacturing can be revived and things begin to work again

A lot of go slow is caused by bad roads and illegal bustops
Let them fix the bad roads and see traffic flow freely
We all remember the hours of gridlock on the Lagos ibadan express way due to that pot hole just before MFN
Once roads are fixed, a lot of congestion will be eliminated/reduced
Re: The Proposed 4th Mainland Bridge: Top 10 Facts You Should Know by otipoju(m): 8:08am On Aug 10, 2016
opalu:
There is no wisdom in saving thousands of houses thereby resulting in the project cost running into hundreds of billions!!
As a Civil Engineer, I understand that when you alter the alignment of the highway leading to the bridge, you automatically increase of decrease the cost of construction. In this case, I could advise the state government to reduce the length of this bridge! There are certain points of closest proximity whereby the 4th Mainland bridge could be the shortest. It is called line of best fit.

I just want to be sure contractor or financier is short-changing the government. My M.Sc project was on the Extension of the Structural Lifespan of the 3rd Mainland bridge. I discovered several troubling issues that both my professors or the professionals representing the FG on the project did not know. Truth is that the 4th Mainland doesn't have any business being that long or that costly. I am entitled to my views. No govt person should call my number!

God help Nigeria.

I know that they will call your number but when they do suggest that they put light train rail tracks in the middle for mass transit.
Re: The Proposed 4th Mainland Bridge: Top 10 Facts You Should Know by stonemasonn: 8:08am On Aug 10, 2016
Waspy:
For that amount (N844 billion) and the present economic conditions of the country, I would prefer if a power plant or refinery or functioning industries or at least a Mega rail project is done

Long term Revenue generating and Job creating projects are what we as Nigerians should be thinking of.. .Not some fancy bridge that will take up little available monies and huge loans/ debts

Honestly a 844billion naira power plant will benefit Lagos more. That bridge is too costly.
Re: The Proposed 4th Mainland Bridge: Top 10 Facts You Should Know by Nobody: 8:08am On Aug 10, 2016
erico2k2:

Wel done for the insults, but get sense STEALING IS NOT CORRUPTION, 2016 still you this ignorant angry angry angry
If the shoes fit,lace it.
Re: The Proposed 4th Mainland Bridge: Top 10 Facts You Should Know by nicefaze: 8:16am On Aug 10, 2016
Hypocrisy is when this thread has not made front page up till now and unproductive threads about celebrities would have been on the front page by now.. undecided sad

Lalasticalala kindly do the needful..
Re: The Proposed 4th Mainland Bridge: Top 10 Facts You Should Know by texazzpete(m): 8:39am On Aug 10, 2016
prosperity2016:
the worst injustice in the hx of mankind is the failure of FEDERAL GOVERNMENT OF THE NORTH TO CONNECT BONNY ISLAND TO PORT-HARCOURT.

That would be a colossal waste of resources.
Re: The Proposed 4th Mainland Bridge: Top 10 Facts You Should Know by kobenol(m): 8:54am On Aug 10, 2016
opalu:

God help Nigeria.
You're very correct sir.
Shallower depths also increase savings in bridge construction. The third mainland bridge was erected along the shallows of the lagoon.
Longer spans greatly reduce number and cost of pilings and construction time.
I feel compensation for demolitions is such a huge chunk of cost at times even.
When Kainji dam was constructed in mid sixties, the lake formed would flood the thousands inhabitants of Busa, they were compensated and relocated with a quarter of the Project cost of over $200 million.
Re: The Proposed 4th Mainland Bridge: Top 10 Facts You Should Know by SIRTee15: 8:56am On Aug 10, 2016
tearoses:

I actually agree with him
For a start it is so expensive that it may end up as an abandoned project, causing hardship to people living in the area
We need power
With power, manufacturing can be revived and things begin to work again

A lot of go slow is caused by bad roads and illegal bustops
Let them fix the bad roads and see traffic flow freely
We all remember the hours of gridlock on the Lagos

ibadan express way due to that pot hole just before MFN
Once roads are fixed, a lot of congestion will be eliminated/reduced

the construction of that bridge will accelerate the development of eastern part of Lagos.....

what Lagos need is decongestion, there's so much pressure on infrastructure in Lagos mainland and the island. adding more infrastructure to those areas will only worsen the situation as more population will move in to utilize such facilities.

beside Lagos mainland is poorly planned and very disorderly. any attempt at proper urbanisation of these areas will come at enormous cost n sacrifice that neither the govt nor the citizen can bare.

the solution is redirecting the development of new Lagos from those areas towards virgin places in Lagos, n that's exactly what the bridge will do to the ikorodu-epe axis of Lagos.

it's a new area thus it can be planned properly, giving it a befitting modern aesthetic look. people will stop waking up at 4am because they work on the island. there will also be less pressure on infrastructure in Lagos generally since there will be a balance distribution of people in the state.

construction of the Lagos-ibadan is already ongoing so I don't get your point about gridlock at mfm.
besides, that will not prevent the traffic jam btw mainland n the island. what can put an end to that is either construction of a new bridge or a railway system.

u and the other guy are both looking at the present, it's imperative we start focussing on the future. there's nothing so special about the present Lagos.... when foreigners visit Lagos, they are mostly dissapointed. that's why laudable project like this and eko Atlantic City should be supported.

the UK govt used the 2012 Olympics to develop the swampy area of east London......
when I visited the place early this year, I was very impressed.

I find all these noise about power, industries, refinery, manufacturing, bla.... bla... bla... at mere attempt at playing to gallery.

people always raise this dust anytime somebody wants to do something real that they disagree with.
open a thread on power, then we can discuss it, this thread is about 4th mainland bridge.

and for ur info Nigeria has spent over a trillion naira on darkness since the inception of these republic. so there's no guarantee that if the 800 billion is diverted to power u will witness any 24 hrs electricity.
Re: The Proposed 4th Mainland Bridge: Top 10 Facts You Should Know by mapet: 9:20am On Aug 10, 2016
Waspy:

1. The bolded captures it
2. This project captures different value streams from the ones you mentioned. All are needed to complement each other
Re: The Proposed 4th Mainland Bridge: Top 10 Facts You Should Know by mapet: 9:23am On Aug 10, 2016
prosperity2016:

1. So it is not instructive to you that this is a state project, funded by state and private sector. You must always wait for FG to spoon-feed you because you have oil?
2.Unfortunately, if your senseless rants and emotion are a reflection of your leaders, then I'm afraid 25-40years from now, other states would be long gone in developing their cities through their self effort and yours will still be lamenting as you're doing now
Re: The Proposed 4th Mainland Bridge: Top 10 Facts You Should Know by mapet: 9:29am On Aug 10, 2016
tplacid:
I think with N845 billion a lot can be done to Lagos that will bring about rapid economic development that with dwarf the development of major cities of the world.

In scale of preference construction of a bridge that will cost that much shoudn't even be on the list.
A lot of roads can be tarred with that amount ( remeber we have a lot of untarred roads in Laogs)
The housing industry can be developed with that amount such that quality houses will be available to all at a reasonable cost, this excludes the employment that will be generated through this eg developers, furniture experts, construction engineers and a whole lot more
Transport industry will have a huge turnaround with that kind of money.

This is just my candid opinion.
\

Bros,

Your candid opinion is so limited. It would have been credible if you were addressing a state where all you mention is not currently being done. If you broaden your horizon, you will see the impact and value of the bridge. Cities needs to be built. Cities are not static monuments, they need to develop. When you build bridges, you connect people. There is a huge span of industries you open up by connecting people. Imagine how many industries, houses, trades and commerce you open up in Ikorodu - Langbasa axis just because of this bridge
Re: The Proposed 4th Mainland Bridge: Top 10 Facts You Should Know by Nobody: 10:10am On Aug 10, 2016
SIRTee15:

the construction of that bridge will accelerate the development of eastern part of Lagos.....

what Lagos need is decongestion, there's so much pressure on infrastructure in Lagos mainland and the island. adding more infrastructure to those areas will only worsen the situation as more population will move in to utilize such facilities.

beside Lagos mainland is poorly planned and very disorderly. any attempt at proper urbanisation of these areas will come at enormous cost n sacrifice that neither the govt nor the citizen can bare.

the solution is redirecting the development of new Lagos from those areas towards virgin places in Lagos, n that's exactly what the bridge will do to the ikorodu-epe axis of Lagos.

it's a new area thus it can be planned properly, giving it a befitting modern aesthetic look. people will stop waking up at 4am because they work on the island. there will also be less pressure on infrastructure in Lagos generally since there will be a balance distribution of people in the state.

construction of the Lagos-ibadan is already ongoing so I don't get your point about gridlock at mfm.
besides, that will not prevent the traffic jam btw mainland n the island. what can put an end to that is either construction of a new bridge or a railway system.

u and the other guy are both looking at the present, it's imperative we start focussing on the future. there's nothing so special about the present Lagos.... when foreigners visit Lagos, they are mostly dissapointed. that's why laudable project like this and eko Atlantic City should be supported.

the UK govt used the 2012 Olympics to develop the swampy area of east London......
when I visited the place early this year, I was very impressed.

I find all these noise about power, industries, refinery, manufacturing, bla.... bla... bla... at mere attempt at playing to gallery.

people always raise this dust anytime somebody wants to do something real that they disagree with.
open a thread on power, then we can discuss it, this thread is about 4th mainland bridge.

and for ur info Nigeria has spent over a trillion naira on darkness since the inception of these republic. so there's no guarantee that if the 800 billion is diverted to power u will witness any 24 hrs electricity.

Please don't compare the Uk with Nigeria

I'm being realistic. The island is the island and people who want to live or do business on the island will continue to do so and will not move out regardless of any 4th bridge
The bridge is mostly only going to benefit commuters who live in these areas and work on the island

East London is still East London. What they mostly built in the areas you mentioned was housing for Londons growing population

The mfm traffic i refer to was a couple of years ago
In a way you have buttressed my point without realising it
How long did the Lagos ibadan expressway take to complete?
That road has been in progress since I was a kid.
The badagry Mile 2 road had been under construction for years
Last week I spent 2 hours from volks to trade fair, which is ordinarily a 5 minute journey because of pot holes in the road
If the govt has money they should Fix the existing roads rather than build a road that will only serve an area assuming the road ever gets finished. An unfinished abandoned project is hell for the people who have to ply that road.
The ona baba ona Oshogbo-Gbongan road is a good example.

Building a road does not always change the status of a place.
What is the state of security in Ikorodu?
What is the road from Ikorodu to other major towns like? E,g Ibadan

Next time you are caught in traffic take time to work out what actually caused it.
It's bus stops or pot holes
Re: The Proposed 4th Mainland Bridge: Top 10 Facts You Should Know by kizzle4eva(m): 10:49am On Aug 10, 2016
I am shocked that in 2016 we are still thinking of 4-lane anything.
If we estimate an increase in population thus an increase in traffic won't an 8-Lane either side bridge with rail and BRT inclusive be better?
I feel we shd do things that are globally standard and perish these mediocre ways.
Re: The Proposed 4th Mainland Bridge: Top 10 Facts You Should Know by Waspy(m): 12:06pm On Aug 10, 2016
mapet:

1. The bolded captures it
2. This project captures different value streams from the ones you mentioned. All are needed to complement each other
Seems you are in the know of this project... ..can you please shed more light on the different value streams, cos such info is the beauty of democracy.
Re: The Proposed 4th Mainland Bridge: Top 10 Facts You Should Know by ben1daEbiri(m): 12:58pm On Aug 10, 2016
prosperity2016:
Forget it bro,it ain't possible!
Re: The Proposed 4th Mainland Bridge: Top 10 Facts You Should Know by mapet: 3:02pm On Aug 10, 2016
Waspy:
Seems you are in the know of this project... ..can you please shed more light on the different value streams, cos such info is the beauty of democracy.

1. http://www.nleworks.com/case/4th-mainland-bridge-masterplan/ - Savour the pictorial depiction of the project

There is no gainsaying the fact that huge benefits will be derived from this project but most importantly, make life more comfortable for Lagosians .....

A modern and efficient transport system for the movement of people, materials and finished products is a key requirement for the sustenance of economic growth in a State like ours.

We shall therefore continue to leverage on our endowments to explore opportunities to make ours an efficient, effective and integrated transportation system.- Ambode
http://dailypost.ng/2016/05/25/full-text-of-governor-ambodes-remarks-at-signing-of-mou-for-4th-mainland-bridge/

peaking at the signing of the MoU held at the Banquet Hall, Lagos House, Ikeja, State Governor, Mr. Akinwunmi Ambode, said that the need for the bridge had become imperative following the phenomenal growth of the State with a population of over 21 million people, which has in turn increased commercial activities and traffic gridlock.

“This has made it imperative for us to have a 4th Mainland Bridge that will serve as an alternative route to the Eastern axis and decongest traffic in the State.

“More importantly this bridge will provide the required transportation compliment to the rapidly growing industrial activities on the Eti-Osa – Lekki – Epe corridor of the State,” he said.
http://www.lagosstate.gov.ng/2016/05/25/lagos-signs-n844bn-mou-on-4th-mainland-bridge/

The present Lagos transportation system is unarguably chaotic but it is comforting that a 14-year-old dream targeted at relieving intra-state travel pains is coming to reality. With the proposed 38 kilometre-long Fourth Mainland Bridge which will also complement the rapidly expanding industrial activities in the Eti Osa-Lekki-Epe corridor of the state, life should be better for Lagosians.

This is a milestone for Lagos in its bid to live up to its status as West Africa’s business hub and to adequately plan for its ballooning population, at present estimated at 21 million. Coming especially at a challenging time like this for the Nigerian economy, it is a laudable move. This pure economic decision is the stuff a thinking and forward-looking, service-oriented government is made of and it is hoped that none of the parties would renege on the agreement for any reason. - OP-ED Guardian
Re: The Proposed 4th Mainland Bridge: Top 10 Facts You Should Know by nicefaze: 10:08pm On Aug 10, 2016
God bless my Governor
Re: The Proposed 4th Mainland Bridge: Top 10 Facts You Should Know by tplacid: 5:51pm On Feb 11, 2017
tplacid:
I think with N845 billion a lot can be done to Lagos that will bring about rapid economic development that with dwarf the development of major cities of the world.

In scale of preference construction of a bridge that will cost that much shoudn't even be on the list.
A lot of roads can be tarred with that amount ( remeber we have a lot of untarred roads in Laogs)
The housing industry can be developed with that amount such that quality houses will be available to all at a reasonable cost, this excludes the employment that will be generated through this eg developers, furniture experts, construction engineers and a whole lot more
Transport industry will have a huge turnaround with that kind of money.

This is just my candid opinion.

Enough supporting PDP or APC.

These Old corrupt men do not care about anyone else.

We also are not helping the matter by supporting corruption.

There is an emergence of revolution - *The New Nigeria Vanguard!*

While many of us are sitting down by our keyboards complaining, other young, intelligent and resourceful Nigerians have begun taking steps.

*We have no affiliations or sponsors*

We are young Nigerians who will defy the anomaly.

Do not be left out

THE REVOLUTION IS HERE!!!

Check my signature

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Ten Worst Places To Live In The World / Top 10 Most Visited Cities In Africa / Reno Omokri Shares Picture Of Port Hacourt-Enugu Bound Train

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.