Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,521 members, 7,826,959 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 12:52 AM

My Cucumber Farm! Wonders Of Creation!! - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Cucumber Farm! Wonders Of Creation!! (9423 Views)

Lady Shows Her Cucumber Farm In Anambra As She Goes For Harvest (Photos) / Pictures Of My Cucumber Farm From Land Preparation To Harvest / My Cucumber Farming Experience In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Cucumber Farm! Wonders Of Creation!! by REUBEN010(m): 8:17pm On Aug 23, 2016
Mercie123:
I wonder if I'll be able to cope with the conventional way of farming. I just feel sack farming is everything...lol...I know that's myopic but don't blame me, this is my first attempt at farming. I'm thinking herbs and other veggies like lettuce, cabbage, carrot etc later. Do you know about growing strawberry in Nigeria at all??
Once learnt from Pavore9 that it can grow [del]in the cold regions up North[/del] even in hot Sokoto. I've not tried growing it.
Re: My Cucumber Farm! Wonders Of Creation!! by Pavore9: 8:31pm On Aug 23, 2016
REUBEN010:

Once learnt from Pavore9 that it can grow in the cold regions up North. Obudu may also support its cultivation owing to the cold weather over there.

There is mix up in what you learnt regarding strawberries because there was a thread where l posted a video where strawberries are being grown in a place that is as hot as Sokoto state. One can also grow it in sacks.

1 Like

Re: My Cucumber Farm! Wonders Of Creation!! by REUBEN010(m): 8:38pm On Aug 23, 2016
Pavore9:

There is mix up in what you learnt regarding strawberries because there was a thread where l posted a video where strawberries are being grown in a place that is as hot as Sokoto state. One can also grow it in sacks.
Thanks for the enlightenment. It is well noted sir.
Re: My Cucumber Farm! Wonders Of Creation!! by Mercie123(f): 9:12pm On Aug 23, 2016
Pavore9:

Thanks for coming over here boss. Do you think it can grow in Lagos/Ibadan without a greenhouse

1 Like

Re: My Cucumber Farm! Wonders Of Creation!! by Mercie123(f): 9:19pm On Aug 23, 2016
REUBEN010:

Once learnt from Pavore9 that it can grow [del]in the cold regions up North[/del] even in hot Sokoto. I've not tried growing it.
I really want to try it out. Thanks for drawing our oga's attention here smiley
Re: My Cucumber Farm! Wonders Of Creation!! by RayRed16: 10:39pm On Aug 23, 2016
Mercie123:
Nah that's not good. I noticed the large leaves too though but thank God my plants are fruiting already but I so won't make that mistake again. Yes, they're big feeders and they love been 'pampered'. Why? Just a day absence, they look like you've left them for a week...lol

Hmm. Lol. Pampering? Ok na. Not doing cucumber oo. I'm doing sweet pepper instead. It appears it would be easier.
Re: My Cucumber Farm! Wonders Of Creation!! by Mercie123(f): 11:06pm On Aug 23, 2016
RayRed16:

Hmm. Lol. Pampering? Ok na. Not doing cucumber oo. I'm doing sweet pepper instead. It appears it would be easier.
Lol...maybe I'm too emotional.
Re: My Cucumber Farm! Wonders Of Creation!! by Mercie123(f): 9:08am On Aug 24, 2016
kikies:

Thinking of trying out with cucumber too
Do the stems of the plant grow out tru d holes by d sides of d sacks?
Some folks actually plant their seeds on the side of the sacks but I haven't tried it before. I only planted mine on top.
Re: My Cucumber Farm! Wonders Of Creation!! by RayRed16: 9:16am On Aug 24, 2016
Mercie123:
Lol...maybe I'm too emotional.
Lol. Ok.

Pls one quick question. How r the fruits sold? As in how do farms sell the fruits? In bags? In kgs? Or what? And like how much are they sold? Wanna know the profit potentials of that crop. Meanwhile, it would be great to have u on whatspp... Love sharing farming ideas. 07065641055.
Re: My Cucumber Farm! Wonders Of Creation!! by endyme(m): 11:25am On Aug 24, 2016
plz can i use this method to grow watermelon?
Re: My Cucumber Farm! Wonders Of Creation!! by topnedu(m): 2:27pm On Aug 24, 2016
[quote author=RayRed16 post=48741012][/quote] Did you use the cow dung fresh? Or how long did you keep it before using it for the mixture?
Re: My Cucumber Farm! Wonders Of Creation!! by Mercie123(f): 6:03pm On Aug 24, 2016
RayRed16:

Lol. Ok.

Pls one quick question. How r the fruits sold? As in how do farms sell the fruits? In bags? In kgs? Or what? And like how much are they sold? Wanna know the profit potentials of that crop. Meanwhile, it would be great to have u on whatspp... Love sharing farming ideas. 07065641055.
I'm sorry for responding so late, I've been on the farm since morning. Ok, you've to hold on till next week, when I'll be due for my first harvest by God's grace, to answer this question. I still have them unanswered too but the bosses that have harvested sold in bags. Too bad my Whatsapp is on and off but I've saved your number and I could beep you soon.
Re: My Cucumber Farm! Wonders Of Creation!! by Mercie123(f): 6:15pm On Aug 24, 2016
endyme:
Yes, you can but getting it on the rope would be the struggle.
Re: My Cucumber Farm! Wonders Of Creation!! by Mercie123(f): 6:20pm On Aug 24, 2016
topnedu:
Did you use the cow dung fresh? Or how long did you keep it before using it for the mixture?
In fact, my brother I got it directly as the cows were dropping it in pile...lol. Yes, that's some joke but really I used it fresh.
Re: My Cucumber Farm! Wonders Of Creation!! by Nobody: 9:13pm On Aug 24, 2016
endyme:

You can grow watermelon in sacks but there won't be need to string them as the fruits would be too heavy to hang on them.
Re: My Cucumber Farm! Wonders Of Creation!! by REUBEN010(m): 11:19pm On Aug 25, 2016
Mercie123:
In fact, my brother I got it directly as the cows were dropping it in pile...lol. Yes, that's some joke but really I used it fresh.
It's not advisable to use fresh manure from livestocks. The ammonia content will be high and can burn you tender plants. You should at least compost it. The fear of zoonotic diseases is the beginning of sound health.

1 Like

Re: My Cucumber Farm! Wonders Of Creation!! by Mercie123(f): 11:42pm On Aug 25, 2016
REUBEN010:

It's not advisable to use fresh manure from livestocks. The ammonia content will be high and can burn you tender plants. You should at least compost it. The fear of zoonotic diseases is the beginning of sound health.

Hmmm...how long am I to compost it for?
Re: My Cucumber Farm! Wonders Of Creation!! by REUBEN010(m): 11:57pm On Aug 25, 2016
Mercie123:

Depends on your compost mix. Between 3-6months.
Re: My Cucumber Farm! Wonders Of Creation!! by REUBEN010(m): 11:58pm On Aug 25, 2016
Mercie123:

Depends on your compost mix. 3months is preferable to me.
Re: My Cucumber Farm! Wonders Of Creation!! by ishaqteejay(m): 1:38am On Aug 26, 2016
kikies:

Do you engage in vertical farming?
I'm interested that's my reason for asking n I want some lessons on it
ok we are watching,may the almighty help us.
Re: My Cucumber Farm! Wonders Of Creation!! by vanpeele: 5:39pm On Sep 04, 2016
Madam, you've been silent. No more updates or pics?
Re: My Cucumber Farm! Wonders Of Creation!! by Mercie123(f): 11:19am On Sep 06, 2016
vanpeele:
Madam, you've been silent. No more updates or pics?

My bad! I started harvesting since last week and I've been all about marketing my fruits. Most days I'm knackered but the annoying part is my camera battery is out and I've not been able to find it around here. So far so good, I harvest on daily basis and it's been great, I'm still nursing the plants though.
Re: My Cucumber Farm! Wonders Of Creation!! by Pavore9: 12:32pm On Sep 06, 2016
Mercie123:

My bad! I started harvesting since last week and I've been all about marketing my fruits. Most days I'm knackered but the annoying part is my camera battery is out and I've not been able to find it around here. So far so good, I harvest on daily basis and it's been great, I'm still nursing the plants though.

You began harvesting and went silent on us, diaris God o! cheesy cheesy
Re: My Cucumber Farm! Wonders Of Creation!! by Mercie123(f): 1:12pm On Sep 06, 2016
Pavore9:

You began harvesting and went silent on us, diaris God o! cheesy cheesy

I'm so sorry my oga. I've been all up so many things.
Re: My Cucumber Farm! Wonders Of Creation!! by Pavore9: 1:22pm On Sep 06, 2016
Mercie123:

I'm so sorry my oga. I've been all up so many things.

So how is sales going? Are you selling in sacks as others do?
Re: My Cucumber Farm! Wonders Of Creation!! by Mercie123(f): 1:44pm On Sep 06, 2016
Pavore9:

So how is sales going? Are you selling in sacks as others do?

I'm not selling in sacks oo. Fortunately, I got a temporary deal with some supermarkets and some roadside fruitsellers since Shoprite said I should hold on for awhile. I sell per piece based on the size, meanwhile the smallest of my fruit is about 10inches, so I range the price between #60 - #100.

However, my first fruits are not so impressive due to pest infestation caused by the constant rain but I'm giving them the fight.

1 Like

Re: My Cucumber Farm! Wonders Of Creation!! by Pavore9: 2:33pm On Sep 06, 2016
Mercie123:

I'm not selling in sacks oo. Fortunately, I got a temporary deal with some supermarkets and some roadside fruitsellers since Shoprite said I should hold on for awhile. I sell per piece based on the size, meanwhile the smallest of my fruit is about 10inches, so I range the price between #60 - #100.

However, my first fruits are not so impressive due to pest infestation caused by the constant rain but I'm giving them the fight.

I am glad you are not selling with bags, l just hate seeing that!

After sorting and grading your harvests, have them delivered to your clients in plastic crates.

Re: My Cucumber Farm! Wonders Of Creation!! by babakk2(m): 6:04pm On Sep 06, 2016
@everyone in the house,
Thanks for the info I just started mine at my backyard. In sack and with chicken dumbs mixed with sawdust and it was mixed with top soil and it 10days old today
Re: My Cucumber Farm! Wonders Of Creation!! by babakk2(m): 6:08pm On Sep 06, 2016
Pix

Re: My Cucumber Farm! Wonders Of Creation!! by babakk2(m): 6:10pm On Sep 06, 2016
Another

Re: My Cucumber Farm! Wonders Of Creation!! by Refraction(m): 6:46pm On Sep 06, 2016
God will indeed bless ur effort. pls can excess rainfall cause a cucumber plant 2 have yellow spots on d leaves which later shrinks n causes d crop 2 die before time of production. what would u prescribe 4 disease control?
Re: My Cucumber Farm! Wonders Of Creation!! by FarmTech(m): 10:55pm On Sep 06, 2016
Mercie123:

Pls tell me how one can sell to shoprite. Is their price better?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Medication And Vaccination Program For Layers / Let's Build A Professional Website For Your Agric Business, No advance payment / Intensive Mass Production Of Catfish/Tilapia Seed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.