Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,392 members, 7,815,835 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:12 PM

English Borrowed So Much From Igbo Language than French and Latin. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / English Borrowed So Much From Igbo Language than French and Latin. (4614 Views)

"I Paid N4.8M For My Master's Program, I Starved And Borrowed" - Young Man / Igbo Language School In South Africa Inaugurated / 15 Words English Borrowed From Arabic (Dailytrust) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

English Borrowed So Much From Igbo Language than French and Latin. by stansaintly(m): 6:59pm On Aug 11, 2016
''Before English there was Igbo. Igbo is the lost tribe of Israel''

Igbo kwenu! I always feel like crying whenever I see teachers or parents flog their children because they were speaking Igbo language. They want their children to speak English not knowing that the English they want their children to speak was borrowed from Igbo. Do you know that there are more than a thousand words in English, French, Latin, Hebrew and other languages that were borrowed from Igbo Language. Did I just hear you say ''na lie'' ? Ok. Because of space, let me only give you 25 English words stolen from Igbo language. If you need more, you can contact me.

1. Cherubim – Borrowed from Igbo phrase ‘’chere ubim’’ which means ‘’guard my home’’

2. Book – Borrowed from Igbo phrase “bu uka’’ meaning ‘’carries the facts’’

3. Water – Stolen from Igbo word ‘’wuta’’ which means ‘’pour’’

4. Nurse – Coined from the phrase ‘’noro nso’’ meaning ‘’stay near’’

5. Animal – Coined from the Igbo phrase ‘’anu malu’’ which when translated means ‘’meat that knows’’ or ‘’flesh aware of life’’ or ‘’meat is conscious’’

6. Bank – Got from the phrase ‘’uba na aka’’ meaning ‘’wealth at hand’’

7. Harlot – Coined from ‘’ha laa otu’’ meaning ‘’they had sex’’

8. Say – stolen from Igbo word ‘’Si’’ which means say

9. Answer – got from ‘’nsa’’ which means ‘’response’’

10. Carpenter – coined from the phrase ‘’ka apita’’ which means ‘’carve out’’

11. News – got from ‘’nu zuo’’ which means ‘’hear it all’’

12. Soccer – coined from ‘’oso ka’’ which means ‘’running is greater’’ or “there is more running done’’ or ‘’greater at running’’

13. Patrol – got from ‘’puta uli’’ meaning ‘’come out for strolls’’

14. Sabbath – coined from ‘’Asaa bu taa’’ which means ‘’today is seventh’’ or ‘’seventh is this day’’

15. Amen – got from ‘’ya mee nu’’ which means ‘’may it be done’’

16. Genesis – coined from the phrase ‘’jee na isi isi’’ meaning ‘’go to the very beginning’’

17. Conquer – got from ‘’nku ka’’ which means ‘’break down’’

18. Queue – borrowed from ‘’kwih’’ or ‘’kwunye’’ meaning ‘’join in’’

19. Music/Musical – got from ‘’mee uzu ka’’ which means ‘’make the greatest noise’’

20. Quote – got from ‘’kwute’’ which means ‘’make mention’'

21. Page – coined from ‘’pia jie’’ meaning fold

22. Boy – got from ‘’bu oyi’’ which means ‘’be friend’’

23. Girl – coined from ‘’ga alu’’ meaning ‘’will marry’’

24. Embassy – coined from the phrase ‘’mba zie’’ which means ‘’nations message’’ or nation send

25. Catastrophe – coined from the phrase ‘’akata asi tufia’’ meaning ‘’when mentioned the Igbos eject saliva from the mouth and say ‘tufia’ ‘’

Hope you are now convinced that before English there was Igbo and Igbo is the lost tribe of Israel. For those who don't know, Igbo is a tribe from south eastern part of Nigeria. Read more about them here. How una see am. Igbo Kwezuo nu! Let's go

22 Likes 5 Shares

Re: English Borrowed So Much From Igbo Language than French and Latin. by Destined2win: 7:01pm On Aug 11, 2016
Hahahahahaha. These your translations are so funny

3 Likes

Re: English Borrowed So Much From Igbo Language than French and Latin. by hakunajay(m): 7:03pm On Aug 11, 2016
Hahahahahaha... LAWKMD!!! Wake me up when you're done smoking

10 Likes

Re: English Borrowed So Much From Igbo Language than French and Latin. by stansaintly(m): 7:04pm On Aug 11, 2016
hakunajay:
Hahahahahaha... LAWKMD!!! Wake me up when you're done smoking

Not at all, if u are done smoking then go and marry your bed to avoid going kolo kiss

2 Likes

Re: English Borrowed So Much From Igbo Language than French and Latin. by omololu2020(m): 7:19pm On Aug 11, 2016
Nonsense

1 Like

Re: English Borrowed So Much From Igbo Language than French and Latin. by mycar: 7:22pm On Aug 11, 2016
No 7 got me rolling on the floor. grin
Re: English Borrowed So Much From Igbo Language than French and Latin. by stansaintly(m): 7:26pm On Aug 11, 2016
mycar:
No 7 got me rolling on the floor. grin

Badoo, na that one ya eyes go see.

1 Like

Re: English Borrowed So Much From Igbo Language than French and Latin. by babyfaceafrica: 7:34pm On Aug 11, 2016
Hahahahahahahaha.....
Re: English Borrowed So Much From Igbo Language than French and Latin. by iamodenigbo1(m): 7:40pm On Aug 11, 2016
funny guy very very. Nice and fune

1 Like

Re: English Borrowed So Much From Igbo Language than French and Latin. by mankan2k7(m): 7:51pm On Aug 11, 2016
Flatt-ies always clamming to develop every sectors of human race

8 Likes

Re: English Borrowed So Much From Igbo Language than French and Latin. by johnwizey: 8:16pm On Aug 11, 2016
grin grin grin
Re: English Borrowed So Much From Igbo Language than French and Latin. by Nobody: 8:21pm On Aug 11, 2016
cheesy
Re: English Borrowed So Much From Igbo Language than French and Latin. by Nobody: 8:35pm On Aug 11, 2016
nothing this ibo people no go claim.

2 Likes

Re: English Borrowed So Much From Igbo Language than French and Latin. by falcon01: 8:45pm On Aug 11, 2016
Re: English Borrowed So Much From Igbo Language than French and Latin. by onyidon21: 8:45pm On Aug 11, 2016
Did u take Akure weed, or are u a Yabaleft escapee

2 Likes

Re: English Borrowed So Much From Igbo Language than French and Latin. by Nobody: 8:47pm On Aug 11, 2016
grin They've started again.
Cc:Lalasticlala,FP things....Yolubas should see this.They developed English language cheesy.

2 Likes

Re: English Borrowed So Much From Igbo Language than French and Latin. by warrah(m): 9:19pm On Aug 11, 2016
@Op .......isi adighi gi mma 4 real.......LWKMD!!!!!!!
Imagine.........

3 Likes

Re: English Borrowed So Much From Igbo Language than French and Latin. by marshborn(m): 9:19pm On Aug 11, 2016
Lol
Re: English Borrowed So Much From Igbo Language than French and Latin. by XCLUX(m): 9:25pm On Aug 11, 2016
Land.... brb
Re: English Borrowed So Much From Igbo Language than French and Latin. by Oahray: 10:16pm On Aug 11, 2016
Lolz... grin

"I built this hut" said the Lizard to the Man. "Can't you see that the walls are rough like my skin?" smiley

6 Likes

Re: English Borrowed So Much From Igbo Language than French and Latin. by garyaustin(m): 10:22pm On Aug 11, 2016
Ubi in Igbo language means GARDEN or FARM. Ubim means my GARDEN or my FARM;Che means guard.
Cherubim= Guard my Garden or Farm.
Remember that God installed The Cherub (Cherubim) to guard the tree of life at the Garden of Eden.
op your are great!

Genesis 3:24 says, “He drove out the man, and at the east of the garden of Eden he placed the cherubim and a flaming sword that turned every way to guard the way to the tree of life.”. According to this verse, only one side of Eden was guarded—the east side and you find the Igboman in the EAST!

Chere= wait, stay, keep watch
Ubim= my GARDEN or my FARM
Which ever way you look at it CHERUBIM in Igbo language simply means Keeper of my Garden ( as in Garden of Eden )

4 Likes

Re: English Borrowed So Much From Igbo Language than French and Latin. by Nobody: 10:24pm On Aug 11, 2016
Let me help you a bit

26. Church..... Coined from "Choo Chi" ... Which means look for God

27. Occupation coined from "Aka Oku" your handiwork.

28. Yoruba coined from "Yoro Uba" meaning scoop your wealth.

29. Land coined from "Ala ndi" meaning there is land

30. Fly coined from.. "Felie" meaning fly up

7 Likes

Re: English Borrowed So Much From Igbo Language than French and Latin. by Presbulg(m): 11:09pm On Aug 11, 2016
Lost tribe of Israel, who started this shii
Re: English Borrowed So Much From Igbo Language than French and Latin. by eistien(m): 12:44am On Aug 12, 2016
Patiently waiting for my Yoruba brothers to invade this thread.

2 Likes

Re: English Borrowed So Much From Igbo Language than French and Latin. by hakunajay(m): 2:02am On Aug 12, 2016
Okikiki:
Let me help you a bit

26. Church..... Coined from "Choo Chi" ... Which means look for God

27. Occupation coined from "Aka Oku" your handiwork.

28. Yoruba coined from "Yoro Uba" meaning scoop your wealth.

29. Land coined from "Ala ndi" meaning there is land

30. Fly coined from.. "Felie" meaning fly up

Origin of the word church

Origin
Old English cir(i)ce, cyr(i)ce, related to Dutch kerk and German Kirche, based on medieval Greek kurikon, from Greek kuriakon (dōma) ‘Lord's (house)’, from kurios ‘master or lord’. Compare with kirk.

Etc etc...

2 Likes

Re: English Borrowed So Much From Igbo Language than French and Latin. by fr3do(m): 4:30am On Aug 12, 2016
Igbo is not lost tribe of anybody!
Igbos have always been in this part of the world.

2 Likes

Re: English Borrowed So Much From Igbo Language than French and Latin. by GossipGirl1(f): 6:46am On Aug 12, 2016
Lmao"op u no well,dat no 7 no be for here
Re: English Borrowed So Much From Igbo Language than French and Latin. by gulfer: 7:02am On Aug 12, 2016
The entire english vocabulary was coined out of Igbo words grin cheesy grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: English Borrowed So Much From Igbo Language than French and Latin. by stansaintly(m): 7:27am On Aug 12, 2016
GossipGirl1:
Lmao"op u no well,dat no 7 no be for here

Badosky! cheesy grin na that one ya eyes quick see. Badosky de badoo
Re: English Borrowed So Much From Igbo Language than French and Latin. by jeremylawrence(m): 8:28am On Aug 12, 2016
lol.... am seriously laughing my tears out...
this thread should move to FP for others to learn that d entire English was coined from Igbo.
Buh come to think of it ooo, d British colonised naija, xo DAT simply means dey borrowed our IGBO language to rule us...
o.p nice one

2 Likes

Re: English Borrowed So Much From Igbo Language than French and Latin. by cr7lomo: 8:36am On Aug 12, 2016
As an igbo boy that I am, if a thread is opened about other tribes especially Yoruba, I wudnt even venture to open the thread....but y is it that u c lots of Yorubas flocking into igbo threads to condemn our topics...y are yorubas so insecure towards the igbos...u wudnt even c other tribes condemning igbos but Yoruba's alone...which kyn jealousy tribe b these people

3 Likes

Re: English Borrowed So Much From Igbo Language than French and Latin. by MutantMetahuman: 8:59am On Aug 12, 2016
*chest beating mode*

I knew it.

We develop English language for the English.
In fact 90% of English words are from Igbo language.
No wonder the yoloba are jealous of us. grin

#niceone op for the comic relief .. Ha laa otu grin

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Female Student Writes Love Letter To Corper To Be His Sugar Girl (Photos) / ASUU Sends A Shocking Message / Expo Wap

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.