Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,950 members, 7,814,226 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:20 AM

Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? (3676 Views)

Poll: Are Nigerians truly religious?

Yes, they are!: 36% (18 votes)
No, they are mere pretenders.: 63% (31 votes)
This poll has ended

Question Of The Day:- Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? / Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? / Violent Christians,"turn-the-cheek" Pretenders Burning London And Other Cities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by sleekmike(m): 4:24pm On Dec 10, 2006
Are Nigerians truly good Christians or mere pretenders putting into consideration the
rate of corruption in this country? The rate of evil in this country leaves one in doubt.
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by Eurphoria(f): 4:33pm On Dec 10, 2006
lol listen Many Nigerians are RELIGIOUS and it means thesame thing as PRETENDERS if you know what i mean. Being religious should be a crime. I believe in God but i aint going to be hipocritical and say i don't lust after a nice butt on a man. Many go to church the religious ones and not only look at the brother with the cute butt on the front pew but then crucify the next sister who made the mistake of saying ''hi to thesame brother'' . I don't want to go on and on but those you get what i mean will and those who don't will preach thoughout the lifespan of this thread.

[center]WHAT CAN I SAY? I AM FLAWED AND I AM A WORK IN PROGRESS[/center]
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by mrpataki(m): 4:43pm On Dec 10, 2006
What a topic,
I hate religion with a passion, and Religion is not an all embracing definition to your worship to God.
To add my view i will say being truely(throughly) Religious and mere pretenders you are still saying the same thing.
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by jagunlabi(m): 6:44pm On Dec 10, 2006
They are mostly pretenders. cool
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by edygirl(f): 7:04pm On Dec 10, 2006
This is a silly question for you cannot talk about all of them when you only know yourself.
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by angelz(f): 7:40pm On Dec 10, 2006
Nt al of dem. Bt a gud no of dem r hypocrites just has Jesus denounce d religions leaders wu claim 2 b righteous bt r evil.
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by ThoniaSlim(f): 8:31pm On Dec 10, 2006
i personally think its none of your business if they pretend or are devoted.it is not in our place to judge,salvation is a personal thing.everyone's got their own lives to live.
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by mamaput(f): 9:21am On Dec 11, 2006
They pretend.
Church is all about to see and be seen.
Every one calls on God,But the more people i know call on god and swear the more i fear them.
Now i under stand what it means to say a simple yes or no
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by macalurs(m): 2:13am On May 10, 2007
Religion is the third-world sedative. To the poor/hopeless, religion is all they have. It's not necessarily a Nigerian thing, it's every where.

To answer your question, the most alleged "religious" aren't necessarilly pretenders, especially when they have very few other options.
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by thesilent1(m): 1:44pm On May 10, 2007
religion is the 3rd world sedative?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

then what about america?!?!?!?!?!?!?! would you say the USA is more religious than nigerians?!?!? God knows i would!!!!

i have a very simple view on this:

RELIGION - HATERED FOR OTHERS, RULES, FOCUS ON OUR EFFORTS!!!

FAITH - LOVE, RALTIONSHIP, FOCUS ON GOD'S EFFORT FOR US AND BEING AT PEACE WITH THAT!!!!

so, to answer your question; No! i do not think nigerians are more religious! We are just like any other race or group of people; we have the fake ones and the real ones!!!

peace!

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by macalurs(m): 6:39pm On May 10, 2007
thesilent1:

religion is the 3rd world sedative?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

then what about america?!?!?!?!?!?!?! would you say the USA is more religious than nigerians?!?!? God knows i would!!!!

I don't really get your point. But if I do, I think it's almost ridiculous to say the US is (even half) as religious as nigeria or any "3rd" world-- not to talk of being more religious. Even logic presents no reason as to why the "rich" needs religion. Yes religion is the opium of the poor. (karl marx)
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by thesilent1(m): 2:41pm On May 11, 2007
dude,
if you take a look at the politics geographically in the US, you will see the influence religion has on america.
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by macalurs(m): 4:36pm On May 11, 2007
All you know about the US is what you see on TV. You don't live in the US firsthand-- or do you? The US politics has nothing to do with religion. The white house speaks of "God" once in 3decades. The english percieves americans as "religious"-- the word is hypocritical. If you watch from far off, you wont know this. You have to live in the US to witness certain things.

US is the most materialistic country functioning. I said it.
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by Eurphoria(f): 8:50pm On May 11, 2007
@TOPIC

yes many Nigerians are truly religious and when i say religious, it has nothing to do with a higher power, more about hypocrisy and self adulation.
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by RedLips3(f): 8:53pm On May 11, 2007
back for good, Eurphoria?

as for the topic at hand

Majority of them are just self righteous hypocrites.
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by Eurphoria(f): 8:56pm On May 11, 2007
Red_Lips:

back for good, Eurphoria?

as for the topic at hand

maybe undecided  . i don't remember you are you a friend or foe?
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by GNature(m): 9:01pm On May 11, 2007
Red_Lips:

Well said @ Red_Lips. Couldn't agree with you more.
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by Eurphoria(f): 9:03pm On May 11, 2007
what religion do you belong? Gnature?
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by GNature(m): 9:06pm On May 11, 2007
[s]I'll tell you for a little surcharge[/s]

I'm a christian. Why do you ask ?
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by Eurphoria(f): 9:10pm On May 11, 2007
just curious and had this same discussion a few days ago and majority of us saying most Nigerians are religious and sanctimonious happened to be Christians (supposedly)
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by GNature(m): 9:15pm On May 11, 2007
in my opinion, nigerian christians are the most sanctimonious, no doubt, but we are such hypocrites that it is mind boggling. its really sad to say this because like i said, i'm a xtian, but its so true.
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by RedLips3(f): 9:15pm On May 11, 2007
aka ThiefOfHearts, Eurphoria.

anyway just funny how these same people call for God to have their enemies perish in fire when the same God says love your enemies, hmm
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by Eurphoria(f): 9:18pm On May 11, 2007
huh
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by RedLips3(f): 9:29pm On May 11, 2007
lol, nevermind.
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by nazzyon(m): 10:16pm On May 11, 2007
I can only speak for myself. I am trying the best I can when it comes to worshipping and other necessities.
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by samsilo(m): 10:50pm On May 11, 2007
If by pretenders you mean people who pray , talk ,shout God all the time but in their day to day life show nothing of the teaching of their religion( both Christian and Muslims).
I would have to agree, most Nigerians go to church or mosque all the time and always drop God into their talk but their lifestyle is totally devoid of love ,compassion and good will towards their fellow humans. All the rogues from Alami to Babangida cannot talk without saying by the grace of God or insha Allah.
I feel the pretence is getting worse as the years go by because I believe people were more sincere a couple decades ago.
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by 1k001(m): 11:28pm On May 11, 2007
A general theme running through this thread is hypocrisy, however i think one very valid point has yet to be highlighted. Religion or religious institutions are not rest homes for the already perfected, they are avenues for imperfect people (every human being in other words) to gain the impetus to live a better life. I don't go to church to show others i'm perfect, i go because i'm imperfect and need the Lord's mercy to carry on, by acknowledging my imperfections, his existence and his power to make me better. If i were perfect i wouldn't set my feet in any religious institution.

I'm Nigerian, i'm religious, am i a hypocrite, yes i am, but at least i acknowledge that i am and try as much as i can to practice what i profess. I believe i stand a better chance of becoming a better person by being religious than by not being so in the name of not pretending. Notice i speak for myself and for no one else cuz that's all i can do. Every man for him sef in this thing called life.

I AM NOT PERFECT, I AM A WORK IN PROGRESS. RELIGION IS THE CATALYST THAT SPEEDS UP THE WORK!
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by RedLips3(f): 11:31pm On May 11, 2007
Most of these so called religious people that attend church 24/7 hardly ever show what they learn. That is the problem
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by 1k001(m): 11:34pm On May 11, 2007
Red_Lips:

Most of these so called religious people that attend church 24/7 hardly ever show what they learn. That is the problem

Chances are that they are more likely to 'show what they learn' eventually by going 24/7 rather than by not going at all!
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by mrmayor(m): 11:35pm On May 11, 2007
Nigerian are Self Righteous Hypocrites,all over the place you will hear from Nigerians shout about God this and God that and we have nothing to show for it,well except the huge bank balance of Naija churches.
Last year,called my sister morning only to hear that she went to Morning Devotion at Rivers State government house and guess who was the preacher?no other than Peter Odilli the governor.Its only in Nigerian you see corrupt politicians leading prayer section and of course everyone would praise and shout with him,saying amen to this and that.
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by RedLips3(f): 11:38pm On May 11, 2007
1k001:

Chances are that they are more likely to 'show what they learn' eventually by going 24/7 rather than by not going at all!

If by showing you mean gossiping to others about what Madam so and so wore to church last week or how much they put down for tithe then sure.

It's funny when you see most people who sit and read the Bible by themselves act better than those who go to church looking like peacocks.
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by 1k001(m): 11:39pm On May 11, 2007
mrmayor:

Nigerian are Self Righteous Hypocrites,all over the place you will hear from Nigerians shout about God this and God that and we have nothing to show for it,well except the huge bank balance of Naija churches.
Last year,called my sister morning only to hear that she went to Morning Devotion at Rivers State government house and guess who was the preacher?no other than Peter Odilli the governor.Its only in Nigerian you see corrupt politicians leading prayer section and of course everyone would praise and shout with him,saying amen to this and that.

Well like i said b4, chances that he'll change from his corruption (if he is corrupt) are much higher if he keeps going to church as compared to if he stopped. Ever thought what would be the case if he wasn't religious at all that perhaps he would be even more corrupt than he is at the moment (that is if he is). You never can accurately measure the impact religion has on people's lives.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What If There Is No Afterlife? / Yvonne From Girlfriends Now An Evangelist / T.b Joshua Miracle Scam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.