Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,010 members, 7,817,977 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:19 AM

Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? (3680 Views)

Poll: Are Nigerians truly religious?

Yes, they are!: 36% (18 votes)
No, they are mere pretenders.: 63% (31 votes)
This poll has ended

Question Of The Day:- Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? / Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? / Violent Christians,"turn-the-cheek" Pretenders Burning London And Other Cities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by macalurs(m): 11:43pm On May 11, 2007
1k001:

Chances are that they are more likely to 'show what they learn' eventually by going 24/7 rather than by not going at all!
sometimes what matters more than 'what' one does is 'Why' one does. Could the act of perpetuating places of worship have its reasons in deciet? Or denial? Or perhaps even delusion? Maybe one just  frequents church to silence a voice in ones head--

There's  no real reason for frequenting church, except one has psycho/emotional problems--or needs ther kinds help.
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by samsilo(m): 11:47pm On May 11, 2007
@ Red lips U got it for real

@1K00!, man I don't know where youlive or how long you've been away from Nigeria.That your statement "if Odili is corrupt must qualify as the greatest joke ever on Nairaland.
@ Topic note . I am a Christian and I try my best to be a good Christian. This post is not about whether it is good to go to church or Mosque but what the reality of the life of people who who claim to be holier than others is.
The sooner one realises how imperfect your life is then you can make amends
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by mrmayor(m): 11:51pm On May 11, 2007
1k001,

Sir,you fail to see my point.My logic is this,why would all those people attend all those morning services when they know that Mr Governor would be stealing them blind that day?some of those people attending that service have their Super Inflated Contracts tucked in their handbacks waiting for Mr Governor's signature.yes that includes my sister.when I asked her if she had inflated the figures in her contract papers,she said yes,her defense was that if you can't beat them join them,she preaches to me and even speaks in tongues yet she is lieing in her contract papers.
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by mrmayor(m): 11:54pm On May 11, 2007
samsilo:

@1K00!, man I don't know where youlive or how long you've been away from Nigeria.That your statement "if Odili is corrupt must qualify as the greatest joke ever on Nairaland.

Bros,thank you jare smiley
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by 1k001(m): 12:05am On May 12, 2007
Red_Lips:

If by showing you mean gossiping to others about what Madam so and so wore to church last week or how much they put down for tithe then sure.

It's funny when you see most people who sit and read the Bible by themselves act better than those who go to church looking like peacocks.

I'm sorry but i don't suscribe to your thinking. maybe those who read their bibles at home are good but i assure u they can be better by going to church. Those who seem not to gain from church going would be worse without it. If a thief goes to church everyday but still steals then happy days cuz perhaps without church he'd be killing as well as stealing, u get my point.

@ samsilo, i understand where you are coming from but my argument is that being religious would make the realization of ones follies quicker and easier. Everybody is a pretender of some sort9some may be more than others) so don't point fingers at any body. And as far as i know Odili is not corrupt as i've not heard any court of competent jurisdiction convict him. Innocent until proven guilty what ever happened to that!

@ mr mayor, well at least your sister knows that it isn't exactly honest. How does she know that, well i think it's because she's religious. Those who aren't religious don't regard dishonesty as being wrong and that's worse than pretending. Don't get me wrong i don't like to see situations like you've described but i'd rather they were in church every week than 'who knows where else they may be instead'.
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by samsilo(m): 12:18am On May 12, 2007
@1K001 ,I will agree with you on one point .If I did not have a Christian upbringing or did not go to church I know I would definitely be a much worse person than I am.But I am talking here about people who are outwardly very religious(not only Christians, mark this. )but who do not show it in any way in their personal lives.
There is no way to look into the heart of any person ,but you can tell by their fruits (actions)what they are.
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by 1k001(m): 12:34am On May 12, 2007
Well it is sad that it doesn't reflect in their lives, it should and might just eventually. Thats why I'd still encourage them to be religious.
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by redsun(m): 1:20am On May 12, 2007
Religion is a way of life,you got to be the propagator,it is not something some body teaches you like you have in africa,it is a way you connect to what is,everything that makes sense,your whole being in relation to everything.What we have in africa as religion is mere indoctrination,people don't understand what they believe in because they are not intuned to it,you got to be the one that is for you to be,just like Christ.
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by Boston(f): 2:17am On May 12, 2007
i don't think nigerians are pretenders. they are more like a religious based country. i mean wen i waz dere i luved the enviroment and how ppl valued the presence of God but here in America, nobody cares, dey juss do dere own thing and enjoy lyfe but one thing i luv bout naija is the fact that dey wanna kno God in a very obsessed way where as in U.S, dere are laws dat states dat u can't preach the word of God in a specific enviroment like schools and etc, thus makin dat enviroment to care less bout God. ma point is dat,many ppl might view naija as pretenders, well i totally disagree grin
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by macalurs(m): 2:20am On May 12, 2007
1k001:

I'm sorry but i don't suscribe to your thinking. maybe those who read their bibles at home are good but i assure u they can be better by going to church.
It's a 50/50 chance

Those who seem not to gain from church going would be worse without it. If a thief goes to church everyday but still steals then happy days because perhaps without church he'd be killing as well as stealing, u get my point.
you can't prove this. Quite ridiculous logic I might add.

. . . being religious would make the realization of ones follies quicker and easier.
how?

@ mr mayor, well at least your sister knows that it isn't exactly honest. How does she know that, well i think it's because she's religious.
I'm beginning to suspect you think religion is like some High-Definition goggles. I'm also suspecting you're using "christian" for "religious". They're two different words.

Those who aren't religious don't regard dishonesty as being wrong and that's worse than pretending.
One swooping generalization after another. What's your evidence for this?

Don't get me wrong i don't like to see situations like you've described but i'd rather they were in church every week than 'who knows where else they may be instead'.
I've heard that before. Are you a pastor?
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by Okejazz(m): 3:19am On May 12, 2007
Sleekmike, thanks for this thread and I wish to add to the discussion by first saying ”all this una gra gra and talk talk so tay spit don full my computer, QUIET!!!” Please at ease on the personal joust.

This leads no where. Listen, until there is a renewal of the mind in every Nigerian; man, woman, boy, girl, even babies we will continue to be “mere pretenders” irrespective of our religious beliefs.

I called my distant relative in Nigeria (still in elementary school) months ago and in our conversation he said he wanted to be a politician in future. I asked why, he replied “ so he can eat his national cake”.

Sadly but true, you don’t have to be a politician to be a “pretender” or fake in Nigeria. The ubiquity of this stench is everywhere; churches, mosques, banks, governmental positions, traditional leaders, policemen, etc whatever, u name it, u can actually SEE it. And as long as we decide to shelve these issues rather than deal with them squarely, we can not make any headway. I mean look at our last election.

I for one, personally have no moral right to point accusing fingers on anyone; PDP, EFCC, Atiku, and so on. But I do think what we need in our country is a stronger judiciary so we can curb these nonsense.

My people have a saying that (s)he who speaks the truth will live long.

My hats off to those Nigerians living the truth.
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by otokx(m): 6:30am On May 12, 2007
"mere pretenders" will be quite economical, how about "self delusion" , "increasing confusion" . This days when I am filling a form I tick religious beliefs as "others" because to be a christian or muslim in Nigeria is an insult to injury.
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by donbomb(m): 6:38am On May 12, 2007
nigerians are pretenders, have anyone ever noticed the decadence in
the way women dress to church these days? i dont know why a woman will
come to church showing men half of her breast. or maybe come to church
putting on a mini skirt such that once she sits down, the guy next to her can
never concentrate. even mothers do the same . attimes i feel so ashamed of
christians. and most of the girls who are saying that are politician are corrupt
on this thread are guilty of what am saying.
in my own understanding, no man is perfect.
but i still believe that it is easier for one to dress properly to church than to
lead justly. so ladies please stop leading us into temptation in the house of God.
NO POLITICIAN HAS EVER STOLEN MONEY IN THE HOUSE OF GOD, THEY FEAR GOD.
LADIES THAT DRESS IMPROPERLY TO CHURCH DONT FEAR GOD.
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by mrmayor(m): 10:27am On May 12, 2007
@don-bomb,

Of course no politicians can steal from churches because Naija Churches are Private Enterprise where members (sic) congregation pay 10% TAX tithe owner pastor everyday.
The bottom line is for such a country where people would kill and die for their religious believes these same people would accept bribes,plunder public coffers,confer titles to people of questionable character but at the same time shout praise the lord and Allah Ku bar louder than original owners of the said religions.

I have seen the way people I know in Naija treat their domestic workers like animals,shout at them,beat them etc but yet claim to assured of their place in heaven.Being Born Again and Fanatical Muslim is fashionable in Nigeria.I can't stand when Nigerians drop the name of their God in every thing they say,from God is in Control to Ins ha Allah,I get so pissed off.
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by spora(m): 11:19am On May 12, 2007
Nigerians are mere pretenders.

It is very hard to find religious people in Niegrai of today.

If you see an overzealous brethren, chances are that they want something from God.

If you dont ave dough in the church, you are never reckoned with.

Have you seen any yuppy pastor with one-legged wife.

Nay nay nay, they will go for the most beautiful sister in the church.

Na condition make cray fish bend.

If not for condition you for no see anybody for church.

Nigeria! Nigeria!! Nigeria!!! - The land where money dictates everything
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by 1k001(m): 11:55am On May 12, 2007
@macaluars
I'm not exactly a pastor, don't like to see pretenders, but would rather they were religious than anything else.

The effect of religion cannot be quantitatively measured but all one needs to do is compare religious countries with not so religious and a difference in morals is evident. Also compare the values of someone who has never been influenced by religion to one who has and a difference again is observed

@okejazz, mrmayor, donbomb
So are yiz all suggesting that much less people be religious for there 2 be less religious pretenders?
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by Seun(m): 12:15pm On May 12, 2007
all one needs to do is compare religious countries with not so religious and a difference in morals is evident.

The USA is the most religious first world country. It also has the highest murder rate in a first world country.

Nigeria is the most religious African country. It is also the most famously corrupt African country. Religion corrupts?
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by mrmayor(m): 12:28pm On May 12, 2007
k1001,

The problem with Nigerian is we love to live in denial of what is happening in our society.Take the example of Naija Pastors who collect "Aduro Money" but at the same time doing "Dagbo Work" at the side and yet every sunday they tell all their customers to pay their tithes.Where is the tithe coming from Aduro,dagbo.
Please don't forget that "dagbo" is illigal,a crime and of course a sin.If the pastor and is members are rushing from sunday service after confessing their sins and speaking and shaking in tongues to their "dagbo jab" then who is fooling who
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by sophienwa(f): 4:43pm On May 12, 2007
first of all we have to understand what religion is. religion is not Christianity as some are assuming.it is basically a belief in someone or something(supernatural) hence i will say that Nigerians are indeed religious. i guess the reason why there is so much emphasis on xtianity is cos it is in the forefront and more people r turning to God cos of their situations. indeed Karl max was right when he said 'religion is the opium of the masses'. anyway the point i am trying 2 make is that it would be wrong to call what they do pretense cos it is more like - they love God and even though they want 2 live right they are only human hence still have their failings. no one is perfect and we can only work 2wards perfection; so the bible says. my own 2 cents
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by 2old4that(m): 5:59pm On May 12, 2007
Nigeria! Nigeria!! Nigeria!!! -  The land where money dictates everything

Nigerians are just religious pretenders, period!

A Nigerian will become a clergyman overnight just to get a visa,
Can pretend to be a faithful just to marry a sister in the Church,
Can go to Bible school just to get certificate in other to boost his CV as being trustworthy; what can they possibly not pretend to be?

I mean even armed robbers hold prayer sessions before checking out for operations!
Going to Church is just routine/religious obligation!
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by mrpataki(m): 6:24pm On May 12, 2007
When we begin to see religion as the answer to all of our problems, we get it all wrong! Christianity is not a religious duty, as you are made to see it. It is a call to developing a personal relationship with God and loving him for his mercies on your life.
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by samsilo(m): 6:33pm On May 12, 2007
Some people are still not getting the question.Are they pretenders or not ?
This is not "gist".Last year armed robbers came to my street in Calabar and after robbing one govt. official of some money meant for official duty the following morning( he collected several hundred thousand very late taht day).They stood in the street sang song of praise gave a tesimony and prayed for forgiveness before leaving.
This is a true story and anyone who lives there will know what I am talking about.
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by sophienwa(f): 7:01pm On May 12, 2007
samsilo:

Some people are still not getting the question.Are they pretenders or not ?
This is not "gist".Last year armed robbers came to my street in Calabar and after robbing one govt. official of some money meant for official duty the following morning( he collected several hundred thousand very late taht day).They stood in the street sang song of praise gave a tesimony and prayed for forgiveness before leaving.
This is a true story and anyone who lives there will know what I am talking about.
so,  what r u saying cos u haven't answered d ? and moreover what does that story prove.sorry d story is a bit difficult to believe even as in after robbing, they stayed 2 pray, dance and give testimony in the street shocked they might just as well have called the police theselves 2 come and get them.which kain robber b dat abeg!
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by samsilo(m): 7:46pm On May 12, 2007
@Sophienwa, read my earlier posts on this thread.
As for the story,hypocrisy and pretending are almost the same thing,thats what i was trying to show.
I said this is not gist,last July I was not told ,I was on the street.I don't know where you live but robbers commonly operate for hours not minutes in Nigeria.
I don't do jokes on a serious thread.
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by achinu(m): 12:00am On May 13, 2007
i am of the opinion that nigerians are not truly religious but a bunch of hypocrites!! this is my opinion!
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by thesilent1(m): 12:10am On May 13, 2007
you lot talk like other races and countries do not have people that do the same, if not worse than our own people so.

just like saying nigerians are criminals! so no other country has criminals, right?!
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by achinu(m): 12:47am On May 13, 2007
thesilent1:

you lot talk like other races and countries do not have people that do the same, if not worse than our own people so.

just like saying nigerians are criminals! so no other country has criminals, right?!

The question was specifically "Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders" no need to get excited ma guy! grin grin
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by pmdaboh(f): 6:05am On May 13, 2007
I am African American and married a Nigerian man in January this year.  I received my Approval Notice for him and my stepson to come to the states, and they should join me next month (prayerfully).

Now we both are a Christian, but the churches we worship at (his in Nigeria and mine in the states) differ--especially in the areas of women ministry, women's roles in the church, and how women and men interact with one another in the service.  I believe he is very sincere in his love towards the Lord.

One thing I am curious about, and if someone will address this I would greatly appreciate it.  Why are Nigerians so harsh about themselves?  I mean just because Nigeria is known,  right now,  to be a very corrupt place, does not mean all Nigerians are corrupt (No they are not).  Yet, it seems as though many Nigerians say, "I know how we are!", as if to imply that they are all dubious, crooked, and not good.  Why do Nigerians "put down" themselves continually because of inappropriate actions of some others?  When I was coming to Lagos, Nigeria to get married, I sat near a Nigerian man that said, "I know how Nigerians are.".  We were talking about my upcoming marriage.

We Americans realize that corruption, schemers, good and bad people dwell within every country, yet we will proclaim that we live in one of the best countries on the face of the earth.  You will not hear us quote something about America that needs to improve without saying, almost in the same breath, it is the land of "freedom, opportunity, and liberty for all men!"

Please do not put your own selves down, unless you will balance out the negative statements with something positive about Nigeria.  For if you do not view yourself positively, why should you expect someone else to?   Nigeria is not all bad, and all Nigerians are not all pretenders.  Some really serve God with their whole heart, mind, and soul.  My husband and his family serves God with all their hearts, and I believe many others do.

Why should I, an African American woman, wo is married to a Nigerian man, be one of Nigeria's greatest defenders?   Where are the Nigerians that defend their own country? Surely something is good about Nigeria.
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by mrmayor(m): 8:28am On May 13, 2007
@Pmdaboh,

There is nothing wrong in being Self Critical,the worst thing you can do is to bury your head in the sand,wish the problem goes away or worst blame someone else.Nigerians are coming to the realization of admitting the wrongs going on our country rather than sweep it under the carpet like what older generation did.

Some people believe that we (Nigerians) shouldn't wash our dirty linen in public,I think that's a recipe for disaster.
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by Rottweiler(m): 1:10pm On May 13, 2007
I would say that Nigerians are truly religious (ONLY WHEN THEY ARE IN WITHIN THE SIGHT OF THEIR PASTORS/PRIEST/CHURCH LEADERS). Just go to any church and watch them when they are leaving at the end of each service, they are so impatient, hunking for the car in front of them to just vanish, they see church members trekking under the rain but choose to just zoom off.
I have always said it that a lot of us are hypocrites.
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by Aniomaman(m): 2:45pm On May 13, 2007
They are religious and also very pretentious as well! cry
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by mrpataki(m): 2:56pm On May 13, 2007
pmdaboh:

I am African American and married a Nigerian man in January this year. I received my Approval Notice for him and my stepson to come to the states, and they should join me next month (prayerfully).

Now we both are a Christian, but the churches we worship at (his in Nigeria and mine in the states) differ--especially in the areas of women ministry, women's roles in the church, and how women and men interact with one another in the service. I believe he is very sincere in his love towards the Lord.

One thing I am curious about, and if someone will address this I would greatly appreciate it. Why are Nigerians so harsh about themselves? I mean just because Nigeria is known, right now, to be a very corrupt place, does not mean all Nigerians are corrupt (No they are not). Yet, it seems as though many Nigerians say, "I know how we are!", as if to imply that they are all dubious, crooked, and not good. Why do Nigerians "put down" themselves continually because of inappropriate actions of some others? When I was coming to Lagos, Nigeria to get married, I sat near a Nigerian man that said, "I know how Nigerians are.". We were talking about my upcoming marriage.

We Americans realize that corruption, schemers, good and bad people dwell within every country, yet we will proclaim that we live in one of the best countries on the face of the earth. You will not hear us quote something about America that needs to improve without saying, almost in the same breath, it is the land of "freedom, opportunity, and liberty for all men!"

Please do not put your own selves down, unless you will balance out the negative statements with something positive about Nigeria. For if you do not view yourself positively, why should you expect someone else to? Nigeria is not all bad, and all Nigerians are not all pretenders. Some really serve God with their whole heart, mind, and soul. My husband and his family serves God with all their hearts, and I believe many others do.

Why should I, an African American woman, wo is married to a Nigerian man, be one of Nigeria's greatest defenders? Where are the Nigerians that defend their own country? Surely something is good about Nigeria.

God bless you for your postings here.
Really the truth of the matter is that until we begin to realise and discuss what the issue with us, we will never get to solve our problems!

There are millions of decent Nigerians out there who are doing it the honest as well we have the bad eggs. But when we share the problem and make the noise out of it, we are already looking for a way out of the mess.

Believe you me, Nigeria is coming to be great! It is just a product of time. If we get the right leader, we will sky-rocket into greatness that we are truly meant to be!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Insignificant/significant Are We? / Jesus Christ Is Coming In A Couple Of Days / 3 Things God Would Tell Someone Who Watches 'game Of Thrones'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.