Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,110 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:09 AM

Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? (3681 Views)

Poll: Are Nigerians truly religious?

Yes, they are!: 36% (18 votes)
No, they are mere pretenders.: 63% (31 votes)
This poll has ended

Question Of The Day:- Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? / Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? / Violent Christians,"turn-the-cheek" Pretenders Burning London And Other Cities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by Okejazz(m): 10:27pm On May 13, 2007
The word Nigeria across the world is often synonymous with “419”, ”dubious”,  “cheats”,  “money hungry“ and  “political unrest”. But we have all these all over the world and the sins of a few does not make all sinners (pretenders). Besides it is proven that it is much easier to do wrong/evil than to act accordingly in truth.

You can’t tell me we don’t have the religious-acting in the US or UK that is supposedly a better country. They are just better at it.

With Nigeria our country, we shouldn’t see the cup as half empty but half full.

What we are going through, believe me has happened in other countries in some form, if not going to happen, or currently happening. If you do some further research on America (mentioned earlier) that seeming is religious and purports freedom, you'll find out the waters of the vices in this country run really deep. They just have some measures to curb their negatives. 

I believe Nigeria will be great again. It will. But it would take us the people to put aside our differences and really work together "in truth" to build our country.
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by seun001(m): 5:26pm On May 14, 2007
yes,nigerians are mere pretenders.

why?

most atrocities emanate from our churches here in nigeria,am sure if i start listing now i wont finish easily cos once i start writing another one comes to mind.in fact am itching to write but i'll prefer to exercise some restraint.

pastors also feed fat on peoples emotions that you tend to wonder about their motivation.am not saying everybody is a culprit and of course you cant be a saint but nigerian christians,abeg.

i do go to church but i have refused to mingle with church members even the pastor cos i prefer to keep my image of them intact.once you start moving close you start to see the stench emanating from them and you start to wonder,isnt it this sister that when she sings,anointing flows,then you start to question if anointing really is flowing or it is in fact an illusion.

you see,i believe in having a personal relationship with GOD,and am not really interested in anybody praying for me,i will do it myself,thank you.cheers
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by afolayangs(m): 8:19am On May 15, 2007
To me a see religion as a way of life(culture) christianity/islam is alien to our culture and that is why we are not doing things right and probrably doing it wrongly because we are just trying to be like them (colonial masters).

Let us practice what are forefathers taught us.
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by dreamnaira(m): 12:10pm On May 15, 2007
in any country of d world there re pretenders nd devoted. pretence is nt Nigerian invention.
One thing we must knw, is dat Nigeria is nt d worst country in d world, just dat we Nigerians devalue ourselves, condmn ourselves because of judias among us.
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by thesilent1(m): 1:14pm On May 15, 2007
does not mena that what our forefathers taught us was right though.
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by dumi(f): 3:46pm On May 15, 2007
On a general ground we nigerians are both and also very riligeous too
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by cgift(m): 8:00pm On May 15, 2007
the question in itself is flawed,
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by mrmayor(m): 10:30pm On May 18, 2007
cgift:

True talk,that's why I didn't vote.
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by 2old4that(m): 4:08pm On May 19, 2007

Isnt the topic precise enough? What's ur suggestion, then?
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by AlRaheem(m): 5:30am On May 27, 2007
ok
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by mazaje(m): 2:45pm On May 27, 2007
where there is povery they will be religion and the belief in many gods.
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by Godsgirl(f): 1:05am On Jul 26, 2007
I agree with CGIFT!! The question is flawed. For me. 1. It is too general-not specific! 2. What is your own definition of religion?

"ORGANIZED RELIGION" KILLS! so I could easily use "religion and pretender" interchangeably. As for me, I am a follower of Christ and since God is Spirit, I worship Him in Spirit and in Truth. This makes me a Christian. Not "religious"

Christ's intention was not religion. Religion requires "works" and requires "perfection". True Christians know that salvation is free, lest any man should boast and no one is perfect but God. We are only righteous through Christ. Therefore, I choose not to "box" Him in that category. Jesus Christ is a category of His own and His followers are called: CHRSITIANS.

I am Christian first, Nigerian second. I am a God pleaser and not a people pleaser. My answer is:" religious people are pretenders and expect them to do the very worst. I cannot say "Nigerians" as a whole-This is too general. Assumptions are dangerous.
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by MP007(m): 8:49am On Sep 20, 2007
Its just so sad,
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by TOO4: 7:00pm On Jan 17, 2008
Eurphoria:

what religion do you belong? Gnature?
[/color][color=#550000]
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by waleab: 12:59pm On Apr 10, 2008
mostly God users
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by Nobody: 9:04pm On Apr 10, 2008
There is a big difference between SPIRITUALITY and RELIGION.
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by Jenna1(f): 6:32pm On Feb 21, 2010
I think that in the same way some use flattery and kindness to scam and use, some also use religion as such. It is what is being taught as something to do in order to achieve what your goal is.

Personally I pray to thank not to ask, but that's just me.

I live in Canada and even in a whole church full of people their are only some there who practice what they preach and give it back to their community. I have recently been through a rough time and it definately makes you notice who the saints and the sinners are. The saints will embrace you and the fakes will wave their finger in your face and read and spread your thoughts as gospel!! It is what it is, some are genuine and some are fakes!! Fakes won't last long though. God is the word and the word is truth!!
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by mrmayor(m): 9:46pm On Feb 21, 2010
Jenna, Jenna

What are you smoking? shocked shocked You had 2 threads all to yourself and you are resurrecting dead threads embarassed.
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by Jenna1(f): 9:49pm On Feb 21, 2010
You just came to life!! tongue wetin dey do you?!? Your followin me?
Re: Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? by afiq(m): 11:54pm On Feb 21, 2010
Religious folks and pretenders are everywhere. Church has its own politic and drama. Enough said

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Jesus Christ The Incarnation Of Adam - Bible / Truth, Fabrications, Or Fallacies? / TB Joshua Predicted The Resignation Of The Pope!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.