Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,734 members, 7,824,081 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:13 PM

Biblical Contradictions: What should we believe - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Biblical Contradictions: What should we believe (7451 Views)

Contradictions Analyzed:bible And Quran. / 8 Men Of God, Different 2015 Revelations – What Do We Believe? / Great Bible Contradictions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Biblical Contradictions: What should we believe by layi(m): 8:45pm On Nov 30, 2005
Christianity is a way of Life not a Religion. If you are not a christain what are you rhoda ?
Re: Biblical Contradictions: What should we believe by Nobody: 9:49pm On Nov 30, 2005
truth rhodarose, may the Lord stand up for you when you need Him as you have chosen to do for him.

Christianity is much more than filling the "religion" gap on a form. Remeber, the early apostles were called christians becos;
they acted, thought and behaved just like Christ that the unbelievers were forced to label them Christ-like from which we get the name Christians today. Acts 11:24-27

unfortunately we cannot say the same for all "christians" today. many are "christians" only becos they are neither muslims and do not agree that they are animists .
Christianity is not a religion but a relationship! matt 12: 46-50! whoever doeth the will of God, the same is my brother.
What we practice today in nigeria is nothing short of Churchianity in the name of God. my church is bigger than yours, my pastor has two aircrafts... all in the name of God!

forgetting that Christ himself set the standard for those who would be called His own:

Galatians 3:28 - There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
Re: Biblical Contradictions: What should we believe by RhodaRose(f): 12:17am On Dec 01, 2005
layi,

Those who follow Paul and his gospel are called christians.

All seven churches spoken of in Rev were Paul's churches and none of them were perfect and most of them were far from perfect. They were all warned that they must become "Overcomers' to come into eternal Life.

I follow Jesus and belong to His Church where Jesus calls us Friends and the Father calls us Sons. I am an Overcomer to man made "religion" with it's denominations and "name calling",
such as "christian".

So, I guess I am a Son of God and you just can not put another "label" on me or it.

Let me know if this helped, layi, because I want you to understand what I am trying to show you.

Blessings,
RhodaRose
Re: Biblical Contradictions: What should we believe by elbaron(m): 12:25am On Dec 01, 2005
RhodaRose, the followers of Paul are not called christians. I dont know of anybody who is called a follower of paul. However, christians are followers of christ not paul. Otherwise they will be called "Paulstians"
Re: Biblical Contradictions: What should we believe by RhodaRose(f): 12:31am On Dec 01, 2005
David,

Thank you for stepping in with me and God cares for me daily, much more than I have to defend Him.  But I love the opportunity to speak his Truth in Love and I do it any chance I get. Lately, I have had many chances on this forum!!

You quote this verse:
matt 12: 46-50! whoever doeth the will of God, the same is my brother.

If Jesus says that whoever does the will of God is His Brother and Jesus is our Brother then  His Father is our Father and we are the Father's Sons.  wink

Let me weight this:

right hand: Son of God
left hand: christian

which would I rather be

as I pick myself off the floor by instantly falling to my right...

WOW that was tough but I have decided which is best,  have you...?

RhodaRose

...my church is bigger than yours, my pastor has two aircrafts... all in the name of God!

forgetting that Christ himself set the standard for those who would be called His own

(How can you say this, Jesus set the standards, and thenquote Paul )

Christ sure did, but are they listening?

They are more interested in gaining material, earthly temporal things

than things of the Kingdom of God which is eternal
Re: Biblical Contradictions: What should we believe by RhodaRose(f): 12:32am On Dec 01, 2005
Elbaron,

RhodaRose, the followers of Paul are not called christians. I don't know of anybody who is called a follower of paul. However, christians are followers of christ not paul. Otherwise they will be called "Paulstians"

Are you blonde, too rolleyes
Re: Biblical Contradictions: What should we believe by elbaron(m): 12:35am On Dec 01, 2005
RhodaRose, what you are asking in simple terms is if I am stupid as well? Well, you will need to convince of the fact that followers of Paul are called Christians. I never heard it before and since you are the first to tell me, I think the onus lies on you to prove it.
Re: Biblical Contradictions: What should we believe by RhodaRose(f): 12:40am On Dec 01, 2005
Elbaron,

Ac 11:25
Then departed Barnabas to Tarsus, for to seek Saul:

Ac 11:26
And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.

Don't blame me if the people called themselves christian rather than paulstians

All I know is they were disciples of Paul's and not Christs otherwise they wouldn't have "labeled" themselves anything like they did.

christian=christ like=like christ but only a good like[/b]ness and not the real thing=kind of[b] like anti-christ, wouldn't you say?
Like anti-freeze is not-freeze as anti-christ is not-christ
Christ means "the Anointed" so anti-chist means not the anointed

RhodaRose
Re: Biblical Contradictions: What should we believe by elbaron(m): 9:04am On Dec 01, 2005
RhodaRose, those were desciples of Jesus not Paul. Barnabas went to seek paul the same way you can go to see your friend. Paul had no followers. Otherwise, he would have been hypocritical. I disagree with your definition of Christ like. In my dictionary, it is walking and living and behaving like Christ did. You define it as a likeness as in picture or image likeness. The bible was talking about likeness in behaviour, believes and practices. Ask your pastor
Re: Biblical Contradictions: What should we believe by RhodaRose(f): 2:46pm On Dec 01, 2005
Elbaron,

Paul had no followers. Otherwise, he would have been hypocritical.

Oh, really?!!    rolleyes

Ac 15:21
For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every sabbath day.

So does Paul...

Joh 1:17
For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

I notice that Jesus didn't add Paul's name to the Grace and Truth side....

I disagree with your definition of Christ like. In my dictionary, it is walking and living and behaving like Christ did. You define it as a likeness as in picture or image likeness. The bible was talking about likeness in behavior, believes and practices. Ask your pastor

Oh, since God sees the inside and not the outside wouldn't the "behavior, beliefs and practices" be what He sees?

1Co 13:12
For[b] now [/b] we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face:
now I know in part;
but then shall I know even as also I am known

Jesus says,

Joh 15:14-15
Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.
Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.

Doesn't seem that His Friends look though a "glass darkly" but "know all things"!

Sounds like if you are you are not His Friend, doing "whatsoever He commands us" then you are" looking through a glass darkly" as Paul is and says.

but Paul also says that when you are not "looking through this dark glass" you will see face to face and know, not in part, but in full.

and he (Paul) will know in full[b] as "he (Paul) will be known" to us[/b]

How can you read and learn from a man who admits he doesn't know in full but only in part?

and admits he "adds" his own ideas into the mix:

after a long explanation about "hair" he says this:

1Co 11:16
But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God

Seems he goes on and on and in the end he says this may not be anything you need to believe.... what a waste of time...

I will go to Jesus who has the Truth and not be "bogged down" with Paul's assumptions.

As far as "asking my pastor" you know I don't have one but am taught by the Holy Spirit of God with His Truth on all matters.

Blessings,
RhodaRose
Re: Biblical Contradictions: What should we believe by goodguy(m): 5:37pm On Dec 02, 2005
RhodaRose, you're talking as if Paul was not doing the will of Christ. Have you forgotten it was his encounter with Jesus that made him a new creature? A man who was never a disciple of Christ wrote about 45% of the new testament, preaching about Jesus. Or have you forgotten that holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost. So what are u saying?
Re: Biblical Contradictions: What should we believe by nferyn(m): 7:26pm On Dec 02, 2005
goodguy:

RhodaRose, you're talking as if Paul was not doing the will of Christ. Have you forgotten it was his encounter with Jesus that made him a new creature? A man who was never a disciple of Christ wrote about 45% of the new testament, preaching about Jesus. Or have you forgotten that holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost. So what are u saying?

Paul has never encountered Jesus.
Re: Biblical Contradictions: What should we believe by layi(m): 8:07pm On Dec 02, 2005
He had.. He was formerly Saul.
Re: Biblical Contradictions: What should we believe by goodguy(m): 8:19pm On Dec 02, 2005
nferyn:

Paul has never encountered Jesus.

Acts 9

1 ¶ And Saul, yet breathing out threatenings and slaughter against the disciples of the Lord, went unto the high priest,
.2 And desired of him letters to Damascus to the synagogues, that if he found any of this way, whether they were men or women, he might bring them bound unto Jerusalem.
.3 And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly there shined round about him a light from heaven:
.4 And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?
.5 And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.
.6 And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do.
.7 And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice, but seeing no man.

What do u call that?? rolleyes
Re: Biblical Contradictions: What should we believe by nferyn(m): 9:57pm On Dec 02, 2005
goodguy:

[SNIP]

What do u call that?? rolleyes

A vision. You can just as well see Jesus in a vision as Paul did.
Re: Biblical Contradictions: What should we believe by goodguy(m): 10:11pm On Dec 02, 2005
Paul didn't see Jesus. He heard him. That was an encounter.
Re: Biblical Contradictions: What should we believe by nferyn(m): 10:15pm On Dec 02, 2005
Ok, an apparition. Wrong choice of words.
Re: Biblical Contradictions: What should we believe by layi(m): 10:46am On Dec 03, 2005
@nferyn
Read this again
.7 And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice, but seeing no man.
It wasnt no ordinary vision. It was an encounter. Saul became blind afterwards and was healed in d city.
Re: Biblical Contradictions: What should we believe by elbaron(m): 7:10pm On Dec 03, 2005
All according to the bible. Any external unrelated document proving all these?
Re: Biblical Contradictions: What should we believe by layi(m): 7:24pm On Dec 03, 2005
Is there any special document out there to show ur own itenary as t 14 months ago?
Why do we keep divertin to unrealistic proofs to beat down debates. So if i cant get another book wit Pauls history then i've lied?
Just say scriptures is fake and we'll understand ur standpoint bro.
Re: Biblical Contradictions: What should we believe by prettyH(f): 9:04pm On Dec 03, 2005
elbaron, if u do not believe the bible, is it external sources u will believe?
Re: Biblical Contradictions: What should we believe by elbaron(m): 10:56pm On Dec 03, 2005
Pretty H, you need other sources of evidence to prove historical documents. You need hard evidence that can be directly related to the said issues to be able to authenticate them.

Layi, my ittinary 14 months ago does not claim to be the way of life. It does not make assumptions to having come from God. If it did, I am sure it will at least other pieces of hard evidence to authenticate it. I have not told you that I do not believe in the bible, neither have I said that I do believe in it as a matter of fact. All I am saying is that there ought to be sufficient proof to support both your arguements and the bible itself. As to what I believe, I believe there is a superior intelligence existing that supercedes all and other forms of intelligence and powers. Now, whether this intelligence is the same as the Christian God and if He is, whether He authorised or provided inspiration for the writting of the bible is another issue entirely and it is this issue that I seek explanation for from people like you.

Does this simplify it?
Re: Biblical Contradictions: What should we believe by trisha: 1:26pm On Dec 19, 2005
i think the bible does not contradict at all wink
Re: Biblical Contradictions: What should we believe by Ajisafe: 7:51pm On Dec 22, 2005
What actually seems like contradictions to us aren't actually contradictions. The devil tries as much as possible to make people believe that the word of GOD is not true by making us see vivid examples of where there seems to be contradictions. So unto those that are without, they will never understand these things, no matter how hard they try to input science or logic.

There actually aren't logical ways to explain things like these. That's why it's called MYSTE

Blame it on the Devil again! My friend, the bible is not God's word -- it's full of thousands of contradictions!
Re: Biblical Contradictions: What should we believe by chrisd(m): 7:53pm On Dec 22, 2005
That was long text
Re: Biblical Contradictions: What should we believe by goodguy(m): 8:10pm On Dec 22, 2005
@Ajisafe,

2Timothy 3:16 - All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness

People read it and get saved.
Re: Biblical Contradictions: What should we believe by nferyn(m): 9:04pm On Dec 22, 2005
goodguy:

2Timothy 3:16 - All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness

It must be fantastic to be a Christian. You can pick anything from the bible you like and the things that don't suit you[i] [are] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness[/i]

The most flexible religion on earth (except of course for the Temple of the Sacred Coconut - https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-1989.0.html) grin
Re: Biblical Contradictions: What should we believe by Ajisafe: 10:24pm On Dec 22, 2005
It must be fantastic to be a Christian. You can pick anything from the bible you like and the things that don't suit you [are] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness

You got that right, my European brother! The Christians are known for just that! They scavenge through their so-called "word of God" and pick and choose whatever suits them.
Re: Biblical Contradictions: What should we believe by nuru(m): 10:51am On Dec 23, 2005
One should not be afraid of acknowledging facts even if you do not follow it. Truthful Chriatians can see all these contradictions and they never argue that they do not exist.
Re: Biblical Contradictions: What should we believe by prettyH(f): 5:15pm On Dec 23, 2005
Ajisafe:

You got that right, my European brother! The Christians are known for just that! They scavenge through their so-called "word of God" and pick and choose whatever suits them.
nuru:

One should not be afraid of acknowledging facts even if you do not follow it. Truthful Chriatians can see all these contradictions and they never argue that they do not exist.

Oh so u guys think we choose what suits us to believe and hold on to. Anyways i want to tell u we do not. Its either u believe the word of God or u don't . Been a Christian is accepting all or none.

Anyways even if we do as u say Ajisafe what is it to u. Let God be our judge on the day of judgement abi. And for your information the WORD OF GOD IS TRUTH AND LIFE.

@ nuru
which truthful christians admit the contradictions . See u shouldn't be telling us ......we should tell u. And point of correction the contradictions u see, ain't contradictions to us.........they are true.
Re: Biblical Contradictions: What should we believe by Ajisafe: 9:15pm On Dec 23, 2005
prettyH, you wan start again o; make you no ta si mi; me a no send you ooo.
Re: Biblical Contradictions: What should we believe by prettyH(f): 10:01pm On Dec 23, 2005
Start what........Pls move aside let me see jo.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

9 Signs Of Cult Church And How To Recognize It / What Happened To Jesus Of Oyingbo? / Atheism Is A False Belief, Evil And Dogmatic . Why Is It Being Propagated ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.