Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,790 members, 7,810,054 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:37 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 - Travel (388) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 (670907 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (385) (386) (387) (388) (389) (390) (391) ... (405) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by biikeys(m): 3:26pm On Jan 14, 2017
Olayinka15:

I shouldn't rely on them niyen oooo

At your peril..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Afam4eva(m): 3:37pm On Jan 14, 2017
I think it has come a time when i need to consider a masters program in America. I need suggestions with schools in the IT/Technology/Information systems field. Pls, no IVY league or anything close. I'm not that intelligent. I just want an average school.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by justwise(m): 3:41pm On Jan 14, 2017
sirRiddy:

Lol. Sorry for derailing...
Just too many funny posts ni jare.
Pardon my overzealousness sir.

Far from that..no need for apology at all.

I never read such post from you before grin

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Teedawg: 3:47pm On Jan 14, 2017
Afam4eva:
I think it has come a time when i need to consider a masters program in America. I need to suggestions with schools in the IT/Technology/Information systems field. Pls, no IVY league or anything close. I'm not that intelligent. I just want an average school.
grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by paulbets: 4:16pm On Jan 14, 2017
sirRiddy:

I have not seen any pm
Ok bro, I have sent the pm grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Drocks: 4:20pm On Jan 14, 2017
Saintpee1:
Hello fam,Am so sorry my success story is coming late have been so busy trying to see how i could arrange myself and meet up the time on my i20.
i got my visa on the 4th of January 2017 at the Abuja embassy 8am,was so favored by the vo and i was only i asked 3 questions below is the conversation between me and the vo

me:good morning and happy new year ma
vo:good morning ,could you please pass me your i20 and passport
me:passed her my my i20 and passport with a smile on my face
vo:How did you get to know about the school
me:i knew about the school through a friend who did his masters there and his back to Nigeria
vo:who is your sponsor and where does he work
me:my dad is sponsoring me and his working with the Nigeria national petroleum company warri

that was her she told me to come for my passport in two days time i greeted her with smile on my face i left
congratulations
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by abbeYhart(m): 4:23pm On Jan 14, 2017
The " I am not that intelligent" part got me laughing
Afam4eva:
I think it has come a time when i need to consider a masters program in America. I need suggestions with schools in the IT/Technology/Information systems field. Pls, no IVY league or anything close. I'm not that intelligent. I just want an average school.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Olayinka15(f): 4:25pm On Jan 14, 2017
please where can one get dollar now and at what rate ...if u know wia to get it at a cheaper rate...pls holla me
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Olayinka15(f): 4:29pm On Jan 14, 2017
Afam4eva:
its better u say u are not dah brilliant rather than saying u are not intelligent....cos brilliancy is quite different from intelligence, u might be intelligent and not brilliant, but all brillant people seem to be intelligent.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by happyday: 4:51pm On Jan 14, 2017
Olayinka15:

its better u say u are not dah brilliant rather than saying u are not intelligent....cos brilliancy is quite different from intelligence, u might be intelligent and not brilliant, but all brillant people seem to be intelligent.
Na joke sis. He's too humble.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by jamoyakz: 10:24pm On Jan 14, 2017
I don't know why people keep on derailing this thread about discouraging people who want to travel about falling out of status... do you know how many Nigerians work at home in difficult and dehumanizing conditions? ? I know alot of people who used the escape route and are living ok in US. please let stop all these act cause the truth of the matter is that not everyone is brilliant to get funding. and the rate nigeria is going and young graduate who have till or nothing going for them in Nigeria should take their destiny into their own hands and look for a way to liberate themselves from the mirage of problems plaguing the country if it maybe crossing the Mediterranean Sea. I greet you all my comrades in the hustle

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by LagosismyHome(f): 11:24pm On Jan 14, 2017
jamoyakz:
I don't know why people keep on derailing this thread about discouraging people who want to travel about falling out of status... do you know how many Nigerians work at home in difficult and dehumanizing conditions? ? I know alot of people who used the escape route and are living ok in US . please let stop all these act cause the truth of the matter is that not everyone is brilliant to get funding. and the rate nigeria is going and young graduate who have till or nothing going for them in Nigeria should take their destiny into their own hands and look for a way to liberate themselves from the mirage of problems plaguing the country if it maybe crossing the Mediterranean Sea. I greet you all my comrades in the hustle

The reality is that its very difficult living outside of Nigeria be it US or in Europe if you are out of status and ilegal.... also life abroad there is little support from anywhere because everyone has their load their carrying... dont downplay it by your comment in bold and make it seem like its easy

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by bublin(m): 11:28pm On Jan 14, 2017
Hushee:

Bro, pm me. I'm also applying for the same.
Alright Bro, hoping to get someone studying already at any US uni.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by bublin(m): 11:39pm On Jan 14, 2017
bublin:
Hi all, Been enjoying this thread from part 1,its really making my days...pls anyone here is doing or about to enrol for MSc in Animal Science or Animal breeding n Genetics ? Pls quote me,i would like to knw ur sch n fees...still researching Good sch with funding n GA position in US. Thanks in advance @walspring , lagosismyhome, justwise et al., help needed..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by TWoods(m): 12:17am On Jan 15, 2017
jamoyakz:
I don't know why people keep on derailing this thread about discouraging people who want to travel about falling out of status... do you know how many Nigerians work at home in difficult and dehumanizing conditions? ? I know alot of people who used the escape route and are living ok in US. please let stop all these act cause the truth of the matter is that not everyone is brilliant to get funding. and the rate nigeria is going and young graduate who have till or nothing going for them in Nigeria should take their destiny into their own hands and look for a way to liberate themselves from the mirage of problems plaguing the country if it maybe crossing the Mediterranean Sea. I greet you all my comrades in the hustle

No one is discouraging you. There are two problems as I see it:

1. There are way too many people here who want to travel... but that's it. They have zero clue what it takes to survive LEGALLY where they are going. Preparation is zero, no idea of how to get to their destinations or the ramifications of the decisions they take. As far as I'm concerned, getting a visa is the easiest part of travel.

Maybe it's me but the vast majority of the interaction here is amazing with regard to the sheer ignorance and intellectual laziness displayed. I took this same journey many years ago and it took 3 years of careful planning.

First I had to figure out a major I was interested in, what schools, admissions requirements and necessary tests, cost of tuition, living expenses and how I intended to cover it without working. Next it was important to know - what was the mode of education like in the US, curriculum, how exams are structured. You'd be surprised to find many graduate schools post actual lecture videos, lecture notes and mock exams on the web. Next what did I want to do after school? Where would I likely work? Job prospects for the foreign worker (including visas I would need to apply for and how)? Average salary and it's relation to cost of living in the state I would eventually choose. All these required tons of emails, phone calls, trips to the US consulate to ask questions... it really isn't that hard folks!

2. Even if you're going to disgrace yourself abroad and be a menace here, please consider those coming behind you. Your actions directly impact them. Years ago, getting visas used to be so easy, but thanks to the frauds, the drug pushers, the illegals, the corrupt... You now need 7 days fasting and prayer.

By all means come to America... but leave the Nigerian mentality behind you.

12 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Drocks: 12:21am On Jan 15, 2017
Believe it or not or even say whatever. America is the last hope of millions of enslaved people. They look to it as their second fatherland and in it lies their hopes and prayers. #decode#

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by TWoods(m): 12:21am On Jan 15, 2017
jamoyakz:
I don't know why people keep on derailing this thread about discouraging people who want to travel about falling out of status...

Falling out of status in the US is a life of hell and it's going to get worse with Donald trump and a fully republican US government. Imagine a life where you are constantly hiding from the law, unable to obtain a drivers license, cannot rent or buy a house, cannot open a bank account, limited to odd jobs alone... that is a life worse than anything you would get in Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by TWoods(m): 12:24am On Jan 15, 2017
Drocks:
Believe it or not or evening say whatever. America is the last hope of millions of enslaved people. They look to is as their second fatherland and in it lies their hopes and prayers. #decode#

They are welcome. Be smart... come with a skill, education... or marry an American. As much as America is the hope for many, it is also hell on earth for the illegal.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Drocks: 12:36am On Jan 15, 2017
TWoods:

They are welcome. Be smart... come with a skill, education... or marry an American. As much as America is the hope for many, it is also hell on earth for the illegal.
of course there will always be a way out for the smart ones.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by teepee4Him(m): 2:58am On Jan 15, 2017
anikemoses:
Hey, I understand your point, In my short stay here i have been privilege to meet a couple of students from Nigeria that are going through hardship as a result of the "blind zeal" of getting a visa and coming down to US without proper planning.

My pathing shot will be for anyone coming here to plan very well before coming , else you will be frustrated and homeless moving from pillar to post with no help in sight, if your dream is to marry a per hour paid "akata" just for the sake of papers and you had no other choice, then just know you chose to settle for less, you are worth more than that and be ready for more frustration when you guys starts living together, a night with her will be like a night in hell.. I usually do not like to comment here for reasons best known to me but if y'all see anyone here still taking time out to give an honest advise, please appreciate he/she without resorting to name calling.Remember that no matter how smart you think you can beat this system, with the slightest of hard luck if you the true meaning of all man for himself, God for all..Good luck to y'all in your pursuit of your dreams.. Peace out.

Well said bro.I appreciate and understand your points.

Thanks a great deal.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Nobody: 3:19am On Jan 15, 2017
TWoods:

No one is discouraging you. There are two problems as I see it:

1. There are way too many people here who want to travel... but that's it. They have zero clue what it takes to survive LEGALLY where they are going. Preparation is zero, no idea of how to get to their destinations or the ramifications of the decisions they take. As far as I'm concerned, getting a visa is the easiest part of travel.

Maybe it's me but the vast majority of the interaction here is amazing with regard to the sheer ignorance and intellectual laziness displayed. I took this same journey many years ago and it took 3 years of careful planning.

First I had to figure out a major I was interested in, what schools, admissions requirements and necessary tests, cost of tuition, living expenses and how I intended to cover it without working. Next it was important to know - what was the mode of education like in the US, curriculum, how exams are structured. You'd be surprised to find many graduate schools post actual lecture videos, lecture notes and mock exams on the web. Next what did I want to do after school? Where would I likely work? Job prospects for the foreign worker (including visas I would need to apply for and how)? Average salary and it's relation to cost of living in the state I would eventually choose. All these required tons of emails, phone calls, trips to the US consulate to ask questions... it really isn't that hard folks!

2. Even if you're going to disgrace yourself abroad and be a menace here, please consider those coming behind you. Your actions directly impact them. Years ago, getting visas used to be so easy, but thanks to the frauds, the drug pushers, the illegals, the corrupt... You now need 7 days fasting and prayer.

By all means come to America... but leave the Nigerian mentality behind you.
Even though sometimes i don't agree with the way you pass across the information but what you wrote up there is very insightful. You passed across your information in a very matured manner.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by LagosismyHome(f): 4:46am On Jan 15, 2017
Walspring:

Lol... Nah next week i dey GH my bonus

But i don GH for some of my DL and while some will wait since is batch by batch in order to sustain the system.

Tell people around you and your DL to PH ooo

U still dey dream of MMM....... it might never recover ooo.

The strategy to freeze was a terrible idea as it has damaged consumer confidence. ... who in their right mind will put in money at this time
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by OluDare01(m): 5:08am On Jan 15, 2017
TWoods
This is the first time I totally agree with you.
But our people don't wanna hear the bitter truth.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by acadollar(m): 6:03am On Jan 15, 2017
Pls is there anyone here studying Safety engineering, graduate level?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by TWoods(m): 6:17am On Jan 15, 2017
OluDare01:
TWoods
This is the first time I totally agree with you.
But our people don't wanna hear the bitter truth.

Well if they don't wish to, that's their problem.

Just a few notes for the "hustlers"... I would guarantee that 100% of folks ultimately wish to live and work permanently in the US, well keep these in mind:

1. Never go out of status! When you finally apply for LPR status, you will be interviewed and this might hurt you. If at all you go out of status, never pass 180 days in illegal status. That is an automatic 3 year ban once you leave.

2. NEVER commit a crime! I can't stress this one enough.

3. NEVER EVER EVER claim to be a US citizen to get a job. This is the only offense for which there is no waiver of inadmissibility under the law. You will never be granted a visa ever again.

4. Never take government benefits as a non-immigrant. If you do, good luck explaining that to the VO at your adjustment of status interview.

5. In grad school, 1 C is automatic probation. 2 in a semester is good night.

6. Don't drink and drive. There is a new law... your visa is revoked automatically the moment you are arrested for a DUI. Note that refusing a sobriety test is the same as pleading guilty to a DUI.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by dramaka(m): 6:48am On Jan 15, 2017
anikemoses:
Hey, I understand your point,likewise a few others here i suppose, but there are just some risks that are not worth it, for me as a person, i prefer the blunt truth than for anyone to "romance" truth to me. You should know that some of us that has been here for a while are actually irked when we see our fellow country men going through hardships that could have been avoided if only they heed to advice. No one is against anyone coming down here as majority of people in Nigeria always think, but it is out of love that people do give first hand infos and advises of what is obtained here when one doesn't have funding or tuition fees for at least a year. I wouldn't go into personal details of how i was able to scale through until my final semester here without funding.It's really a tough experience to wish on anyone,That's the major reason none of you should view a blunt advise as been wicked or whichever name y'all terms it. In my short stay here i have been privilege to meet a couple of students from Nigeria that are going through hardship as a result of the "blind zeal" of getting a visa and coming down to US without proper planning.

I can go ahead and list some few scenarios that played out here, just last week an Indian student was trailed by the authorities to an outside campus job she was doing, they stormed her work place on plane clothes an after a couple of interrogation, she also implicated 2 other Indian students that are working there with her as well,they were all moved to their school ISO and instructed to terminate their service record and take whichever important belonging they have and there goes the free ticket to Bombay. I can go on and on to site some other experiences here with International students just to buttress my point. In order words. It is not worth the stress if you don't have fundings or tuition. My heart still bleeds for a classmate of mine, whom had no tuition and works all his days just to afford tuition and this last semester, he got the shock of his life, 3Cs, which is an automatic withdrawal from graduate school,he just kept weeping and they wouldn't even allow him transfer his credit to another school to start afresh. So y'all should know that this is America where there isn't short cuts to things, you can't serve 2 masters at a time.

My pathing shot will be for anyone coming here to plan very well before coming , else you will be frustrated and homeless moving from pillar to post with no help in sight, if your dream is to marry a per hour paid "akata" just for the sake of papers and you had no other choice, then just know you chose to settle for less, you are worth more than that and be ready for more frustration when you guys starts living together, a night with her will be like a night in hell.. I usually do not like to comment here for reasons best known to me but if y'all see anyone here still taking time out to give an honest advise, please appreciate he/she without resorting to name calling.Remember that no matter how smart you think you can beat this system, with the slightest of hard luck if you are caught, that will be the end of you and your generation ever making it here except the Law changes. A word they say is enough for the wise....Note that I'm in no way taking sides or discouraging anyone to come here,one of the few things I've learnt with people here over the years is that for every honest advise one dishes out, there is always one cousin or childhood friend giving them a counter fictitious advise to discard, but when you get here you will get to understand the true meaning of all man for himself, God for all..Good luck to y'all in your pursuit of your dreams.. Peace out.

Thanks for this.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by EZEIGBO1OFIMO: 10:27am On Jan 15, 2017
TWoods:

The Chinese and Indians, and even Mexicans possess higher populations, and statistically more vices, how come they don't need Fasting and prayer. smh; same way people like you constantly think Nigeria is the world's biggest scam nation, when we are not even in top 10.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by brightify: 10:33am On Jan 15, 2017
jamoyakz:
though Nigeria is really difficult right now,but in terms of crossing Mediterranean sea na no go area o,at least when there's life there's hope,staying and hustling in naija is better than taking the decision to cross Mediterranean sea, though a lot of people are taking the route and few are making it,and if you could investigate about people making it to Italy,you will discover they're ready to die because is a decision where by the chance of your surviving is very low,not even upto5%,before some people got to Libya to cross the sea they've lost their life and some are beaten up and killed,so in terms of been out of status in the US;going to a country you know nothing about is really gonna be difficult, unless things are planned of you been out of status before u got here, I have a friend who came to US last year January, the first day he got to America he registered his self as an illegal immigrant,though he collected his drivers license and state ID before the school terminated his sevis ID,so definitely he can drive and as a state ID,so this actually make things easy a little bit,he later got a job and bought a car, now he already has his green card, and his now in school back,though he really suffered, but things are now very easy for him,because his eligible to get grants that can cover his school fees,America is a country that is really full of opportunity for the serious ones and is still better than naija,though is not easy as people thinks,because you need to work for any dime u spend here,and no uncle or brother is ready to give u any money,because everybody got their own responsibility and problems to solve, so Yankee is like a jungle for everyone,is very difficult now but still there's still hope for a brighter future,those that came here for during the 80s na them enjoy Yankee pass,though it was difficult then but u can work off campus for you to pay up your bills and tuition fees, but now things as really change,and bills here no be play play matter, not that u wanna go and beg baba sikira to give u some days to pay it up most especially apartment, you must pay it unless they gonna throw u out of the house, we have a lot Nigerians that are homeless here,I've meet a lot of them here,a naija man that is homeless told me this past Sunday at my work place that things is really difficult for him,his regretting for him coming here,he got no job for good 2yrs since he came,he has made his decision to go and meet immigration for deportation to naija, so pls guys when coming here you have to lay your plans well especially when u don't have anyone here,or any family, and even though u have family like your uncle or brother, you don't have to rely on them much because they can only help u for a limited time and as time goes on they will surely get tired of you,na for Yankee we dey see brother dey throw sister commot for house because no body got time for shit,America is an independent country
That's my own advice.

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by brightify: 10:47am On Jan 15, 2017
EZEIGBO1OFIMO:

The Chinese and Indians, and even Mexicans possess higher populations, and statistically more vices, how come they don't need Fasting and prayer. smh; same way people like you constantly think Nigeria is the world's biggest scam nation, when we are not even in top 10.
just chill,his saying the truth,some Nigerians as really messed here up,and this as really tarnished our country image,some Nigerians deny their nationality here, and about the Mexicans you see here not all of them came here with visa,75% of them swimmed to cross here,in Houston I think this was last here 3 Nigerians caught for credit card fraud,ABC news took it and they showed them on TV,and that's very bad,gradually they're tanishng our image,especially when it comes to green card level,naija don really mess that stuff up,there's an akata lady I do work with, was telling he can let any mother f***ker Nigerian marry her daughter because we're all after papers,even though you're for real they will also think you're after papers.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by EZEIGBO1OFIMO: 10:57am On Jan 15, 2017
brightify:
just chill,his saying the truth,some Nigerians as really messed here up,and this as really tarnished our country image,some Nigerians deny their nationality here, and about the Mexicans you see here not all of them came here with visa,75% of them swimmed to cross here,in Houston I think this was last here 3 Nigerians caught for credit card fraud,ABC news took it and they showed them on TV,and that's very bad,gradually they're tanishng our image,especially when it comes to green card level,naija don really mess that stuff up,there's an akata lady I do work with, was telling he can let any mother f***ker Nigerian marry her daughter because we're all after papers,even though you're for real they will also think you're after papers.
Then you clearly haven't seen people of the Baltic and the russians face worse for their light fingered ways; I wasn't denying the fact that there aren't criminal Nigerians in the US of A, but alleging that the crooked ways of a few Nigerians who don't even make up to 10% of black people in american and 1℅ of the American populace will hinder future visas, is just illiterate thinking. The department of state isn't like the naija civil service, their work is thorough enough, visa or no visa; and when they feel their immigrant intake capacity is beyond capacity, legal migration is slowed , simple!.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by TWoods(m): 10:59am On Jan 15, 2017
EZEIGBO1OFIMO:

I'm not sure how saying we are not as bad as the Indians is of any use at all. India and Mexico may possess more vices but they are also technologically more advanced countries. What do we export, other than oil and 419? Shame on us. Arguments like this make me despair for the black race in general. We make excuses for crime and mediocrity and offer absolutely zero to the rest of the world.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Afam4eva(m): 11:01am On Jan 15, 2017
Can someone direct me to a thread about admission into American schools because it seems i'm in the wrong place.

Afam4eva:

(1) (2) (3) ... (385) (386) (387) (388) (389) (390) (391) ... (405)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.