Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,332 members, 7,819,137 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:47 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 (673475 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (405) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Neyoalao(m): 12:08pm On Aug 14, 2016
imperiouxx:

There is GA scholarship for NP's and few other healthcare fields but those schools are very few. The scholarship is not really much like that for other fields outside healthcare.
Thank you for the info sir
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by dickoflife(m): 12:43pm On Aug 14, 2016
imperiouxx:

Where in Brooklyn are you?
sorry just saw this had a hangover.. just woke.. was on ralph.. went for a party around moda gaston blvd.. hows u?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by dior2016: 12:46pm On Aug 14, 2016
Please anyone currently schooling at minot state university? If yes can an international student work outside campus? Please someone reply me
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by ponpon(m): 12:55pm On Aug 14, 2016
kenniez26:
Please guru in the house Femi 321, lagosismyhome,Bigfracis ,walspring, sureboy how much will PayPal charges par dollar to naira am paying through access card using PayPal.

Your bank rates... Almost similar with what you'll see on abokifx

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by thacokeboy: 1:17pm On Aug 14, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Lmao. Such a funny experience. One of the first things that hits you when you arrive in America is the accent. Suddenly, the English spoken all around you is soo different from what you've heard all your life. You struggle to hear the American accent, especially the core black american accent. In class, you squeeze your ears to make sure you get all your lecturer says, and initially you'd probably get about 80% to 85% of what was said. Also initially, you will be asked to repeat yourself a lot when you speak. Chai. I remember when flying from Lagos to Dubai on Emirates (Emirates was the cheapest and best flight option back then in late 2013 and early 2014 when I bought dollars for N154, and I was still complaining it was high. You can imaginecheesy. My one-way flight from Lagos to Maryland on Emirates was N180,000, but nowadays people are paying twice or thrice that amount), I told the flight attendant who was passing by repeatedly that I wanted malt but she still did not understand me. undecided I just settled for juice and water then. cry When almost everybody says 'sorry come again' when you speak, you suddenly begin to wonder if you really know English or if it is not the same English you are speaking that they speak too. grin I got told this a lot when I was new and I really hated having to repeat myself severally. I had to blend in very fast. Fast forward to 2.5 years after, I don't remember when last I was told to repeat myself. Now I easily switch accents between US and Naija depending on where I am at. At work or outside, I rap in the american accent and get what I want easily and while at home or on the phone with friends, family or relatives I switch to my naija accent, which they still say sounds 'American' to them. grin I guess my 'naija accent' has been mixed with the American one. grin Guys, it is effing awesome knowing how to switch between accents, and I've pranked my friends in Naija before by phone calls using my american accent and they could never tell a tad it was me.grin I understand both the general (or 'white' accent) and the black american accent perfectly now, though there is a very concentrated black English or 'ebonics', laced with real ghetto/hood slang and talk, which they speak mostly within themselves that I still struggle to understand. For the blacks, I would say that is their pidgin English and the general black american accent is their main English (more easily understood). It's good to look back sometimes and remember some issues you had to deal with in the past which you no longer have to anymore.

In all, welcome to America. You're in for a life changing experience. America has a way of changing or modifying somebody. Don't get lost in the blending in though. wink
. sounds interesting
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by kenniez26: 1:29pm On Aug 14, 2016
@ ponpon thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by LagosismyHome(f): 1:33pm On Aug 14, 2016
dior2016:
Please anyone currently schooling at minot state university? If yes can an international student work outside campus? Please someone reply me

The rules are d same for everyone regardless of if u go to minor state or anyother school. ...you can only work on campus for a max of 20 hours during term time and 40 during holiday. So NO NO NO outside campus is not allowed

In some cases F-1 student may request employment authorization based on severe economic hardship which can then allow u work anywhere (off campus) but that only given after one year of f1 study
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by OluDare01(m): 1:42pm On Aug 14, 2016
imperiouxx:

Cold in summer? OluDare, this must be a joke, right?
The weather fluctuates
Like the day I travelled here, I was shivering with my cardigan on.
But the afternoon is hotter than maiduguri

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by oloriStella: 1:45pm On Aug 14, 2016
Hi Good people, I need assistance. I am currently processing admission to a school in US, on which I will need a $50 for submission of the application. I have the Naira equivalent at any rate. All I require is someone who can make this payment for or a method of transfer I can use to make the payment in Naira please. I have been to my bank Zenith, but they said the CBN policy restricts they.
Please help a brother!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by OluDare01(m): 1:47pm On Aug 14, 2016
Bigfrancis21
I find it easy communicating with the whites but the blacks are giving me headache.
like you said, it takes time to blend.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by LagosismyHome(f): 1:51pm On Aug 14, 2016
oloriStella:
Hi Good people, I need assistance. I am currently processing admission to a school in US, on which I will need a $50 for submission of the application. I have the Naira equivalent at any rate. All I require is someone who can make this payment for or a method of transfer I can use to make the payment in Naira please. I have been to my bank Zenith, but they said the CBN policy restricts they.
Please help a brother!

Try GTB card. They dont have restrictions yet

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by lobito007(m): 2:01pm On Aug 14, 2016
mrchemist:

Hi thank for your urgently respond. I'm I'm graduate of chemistry I want apply for MBA. I'm going to send my transcript to eduusa in lagos Next month. But my aim is to switch to nursing. How easy can switch happen When landed . Also What is meaning of "lor". My gre will also be next month,
OMG! RIP, English! haha

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by OluDare01(m): 2:13pm On Aug 14, 2016
lobito007:

OMG! RIP, English! haha
Free the guy na
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by lobito007(m): 2:45pm On Aug 14, 2016
Guys, a quick one. I am trying to book a flight on etihad airways. The quoted fare is $615. On wakanow, it is $630. Yes, I should normally book on the website of etihad airways. However, $630 converted to naira by wakanow itself on their website is N198,744. This corresponds to an exchange rate of N323 to $1. Etihad does not display the naira equivalent before I make payment. So, I may be charged at a rate higher than N323 of wakanow's. Anyone's got an idea what the rate of etihad usually is?

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by brightify: 2:54pm On Aug 14, 2016
lobito007:
Guys, a quick one. I am trying to book a flight on etihad airways. The quoted fare is $615. On wakanow, it is $630. Yes, I should normally book on the website of etihad airways. However, $630 converted to naira by wakanow itself on their website is N198,744. This corresponds to an exchange rate of N323 to $1. Etihad does not display the naira equivalent before I make payment. So, I may be charged at a rate higher than N323 of wakanow's. Anyone's got an idea what the rate of etihad usually is?
I dont think ethihad will have an initial rate,it depends on the bank card you actually use for the payment
And each bank as their own exchange rate
I'm very sure bank rate will actually be higher than Wakanow own,you can check abokifix website for ATM rate
Really high

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by OluDare01(m): 3:00pm On Aug 14, 2016
lobito007:
It's either you book with wakanow or you call etihad's customer care.
Don't pay with your atm card to avoid stories that touch the heart.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Nobody: 4:07pm On Aug 14, 2016
lobito007:

OMG! RIP, English! haha

Lol. Pardon him. English is not his first language or mother tongue, so you can understand that.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Nobody: 4:16pm On Aug 14, 2016
OluDare01:
Bigfrancis21
I find it easy communicating with the whites but the blacks are giving me headache.

There are three kinds of English in America, the real English, ghetto English and the other one which is kind of mixed.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by OluDare01(m): 4:41pm On Aug 14, 2016
DeeTus:

There are three kinds of English in America, the real English, ghetto English and the other one which is kind of mixed.
So which one is Ebonics
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by dicapino: 4:44pm On Aug 14, 2016
sureb0y:

Lmao, "bagging that Master's with good grades" means I shouldn't look at girls or enjoy my life? People are different, some people need to shut out all the flexing in their life, sleep in libraries, read materials over and over to succeed. Some people know as e dey go, they grab things easily and look at yansh! they still pass. cheesy cheesy cheesy I'm fine bro, I know what works for me. Thanks for your advice tho. Cos I post things here doesn't mean I'm an olodo o. I get plan and I'm not thinking in one direction. I'll be fine. thanks.

With yu bro
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Nobody: 5:45pm On Aug 14, 2016
So a Whole JFK airport does not have free Wifi..sigh
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Nobody: 5:48pm On Aug 14, 2016
OluDare01:

So which one is Ebonics

American black English and is also kind of mixed.

This type of English is "cool" among nigga.s but it's no no for academic settings.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by OluDare01(m): 5:53pm On Aug 14, 2016
femi321:
Abi your phone no connect
I connected for an hour
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by OluDare01(m): 5:54pm On Aug 14, 2016
DeeTus:

American black English and is also kind of mixed.

This type of English is "cool" among nigga.s but it's no no for academic settings.
Na this one I no dey hear
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Nobody: 6:02pm On Aug 14, 2016
OluDare01:

Abi your phone no connect
I connected for an hour
Where and whats the name? The one i am using now is that nonsense Boingo hotspot which is free for 30mins..my 30mins go soon finish
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by OluDare01(m): 6:04pm On Aug 14, 2016
femi321:
Where and whats the name? The one i am using now is that nonsense Boingo hotspot which is free for 30mins..my 30mins go soon finish
Can't remember the name but there are lots of different WiFi na.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by ponpon(m): 6:08pm On Aug 14, 2016
oloriStella:
Please help a brother!
use your card ma, it'll work Mastercard or visa
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Nobody: 6:17pm On Aug 14, 2016
OluDare01:

Na this one I no dey hear

Don't let that bring you down, the more you stay, the more you automatically adjust to the new environment.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by imperiouxx(m): 8:07pm On Aug 14, 2016
OluDare01:

The weather fluctuates
Like the day I travelled here, I was shivering with my cardigan on.
But the afternoon is hotter than maiduguri

I understand you feel a bit cold, it's normal because you just acclimatizing to change in weather from Nigeria to US. What you experienced was high speed windy day. The real cold is still coming when it will be -ve cold 24/7, day or night, no one will tell you then that the season is unique. Enjoy!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by imperiouxx(m): 8:09pm On Aug 14, 2016
femi321:

Most airports don't have free wifi from what I have observed.

They make money with it but you can always connect for free at your flight gate.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by imperiouxx(m): 8:14pm On Aug 14, 2016
OluDare01:
Bigfrancis21

It's always like that at first. The blacks are different but a time is coming that you would catch up with them at least. Even with this, don't try the Louisiana folks. Their English is slang, unclear, vague and short forms.

Welcome to US!

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (405)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.