Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,434 members, 7,819,568 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:18 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 - Travel (60) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 (673533 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) ... (405) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by LagosismyHome(f): 12:16am On Sep 06, 2016
xcaper:
Hello house, is it true that U.S. now gives three years post study work permit to student after completion on Masters degree, then at the end of the three years post study making five years after masters admission one is qualified to apply for green card. Please Some one should confirm this.

If only life was this easy , how lovely it would be. ...but back to reality. No it's not so easy .... why some degree have longer time now in stem but all degree are stem so you need to check well. If your degree is notstem then you have only one year OPT visa after your F1 .... then u either switch to another category or go back home

If your degree is stem yes u have more than one year however after 5 years doesnt automatically qualify you for green card.... i am half sleeping and half typing

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Omodadi2: 12:41am On Sep 06, 2016
worry359:

If you write like the above with poor spelling and punctuation
Then no professor is going to take you.

Do you think you've rendered any help with that response?

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by KPhantom(m): 12:47am On Sep 06, 2016
xcaper:
Hello house, is it true that U.S. now gives three years post study work permit to student after completion on Masters degree, then at the end of the three years post study making five years after masters admission one is qualified to apply for green card. Please Some one should confirm this.
Not possible.. You are not entitled to any GC after spending 5yrs in the US... You have to be smart to get the GC.. 5yrs is enuff time to do that.. I think u meant after 5yrs of being a GC holder, you become eligible to apply for citizenship.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by KPhantom(m): 12:49am On Sep 06, 2016
LagosismyHome:

If only life was this easy , how lovely it would be. ...but back to reality. No it's not so easy .... why some degree have longer time now in stem but all degree are stem so you need to check well. If your degree is notstem then you have only one year OPT visa after your F1 .... then u either switch to another category or go back home

If your degree is stem yes u have more than one year however after 5 years doesnt automatically qualify you for green card.... i am half sleeping and half typing
u need rest ma.. yaff tried for the day..

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by KPhantom(m): 12:57am On Sep 06, 2016
WESTERNCR:
To God be the Glory.......My Jr brothers visa was approved this morning after waiting to get admission to Nigerian university for four years....... Transcript later.....note he doesn't av TOEFL, SAT just his WAEC and I was worried on this but God is great
Bros oo, we still dey wait for this transcript...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by xcaper(m): 1:02am On Sep 06, 2016
LagosismyHome:

Thank you for your prompt response, yes it falls into STEM category, Masters in Chemical engineering to be precise . After this STEM will one qualify for three years post study work permit?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Omodadi2: 1:17am On Sep 06, 2016
xcaper:

Thank you for your prompt response, yes it falls into STEM category, Masters in Chemical engineering to be precise . After this STEM will one qualify for three years post study work permit?

You get one year OPT which you can extend with another 2yrs if you get a job directly in your field of study.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Walspring: 1:33am On Sep 06, 2016
OJCITY22:

Agh!!! You even know that area.
You go sabi that area wella niyen oooo boss

For sure!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Walspring: 1:36am On Sep 06, 2016
dickoflife:
fire.. fire....

Na so... gringringrin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by NairaSea23: 4:23am On Sep 06, 2016
Just want to take this time to appreciate some persons on this thread. Over 90% of fall2016 successful applicants that are in the USA now have abandon this thread. I personally think that's very wrong and it ought not to be so. Even if it's tight acdemic schedules or economic/financial issues, sharing them here will help some persons in the future. Where ell those enthusiastic fall applicants that gained a lot from this thread? Immediately them entre US them bone the thread. Your stories will motivate future applicants. I know time is of the essence and we all learn in different way with different learning capacity but so far as am concern even with work and study one can still spare time to come here and drop something inspiring. To this end I want to appreciate couple of persons that have ensure that there's still flavour on this thread... Respect to Lagosismyhome, imperiouxx, bilkeys, warriboy, slimmy, MsNas, and to all those who take out time to drop something on this thread whenever they see the need to do so.

The second category of people I want to appreciate are those fall applicants that still find time to come here despite the busy schedule of their various programs here in the US. Believe you me your stories will move someone here tomorrow... Someone story brought you... so let's keep the good work. In all sincerity I want to send a big shout out to oludare, Dickoflife, sureboy, and all other fall2016 applicants that still adds quality to this thread. Abeg way fortissimo,meekandholy, purplesummer, and all those that benefited in one way or the other from this thread? share something... I tell you it will inspire someone someday. God bless you all. Winks

18 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by loye80: 6:19am On Sep 06, 2016
sirRiddy:
Hey. Check Kansas State University http://www.he.k-state.edu/fndh/grad/requirements.html
Email the graduate program director and try to score high on the GRE.
They fund many of their students there.
Bro, you have a PM. Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by EncephalonPikin(m): 6:27am On Sep 06, 2016
KPhantom:
This is 3.1/4.0
Thanks a lot Sir and God bless I tot it was 2.8
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by oloriStella: 6:45am On Sep 06, 2016
Goodmorning great people, please advice. Even why I'm still in my documentation stage, I mean submitting academics transcripts, please, is it right to ask my counsellor if there there are chances of full funding for me? Mind you, there are little scholarships already in place by the school, which I will also buy into? Abeg, this my question fit make Oyibo dey suspect me say I no get money a such and probably affect my admission?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by LagosismyHome(f): 8:53am On Sep 06, 2016
oloriStella:
Goodmorning great people, please advice. Even why I'm still in my documentation stage, I mean submitting academics transcripts, please, is it right to ask my counsellor if there there are chances of full funding for me? Mind you, there are little scholarships already in place by the school, which I will also buy into? Abeg, this my question fit make Oyibo dey suspect me say I no get money a such and probably affect my admission?

They should not discriminate against anyone who has no money so its fine to ask ... some schools even have needbased scholarship for those who dont have and dont qualify for merit based .....

its naija mentality to see it as begging. I would say Oyibo yes would ask for all the available funding opportunities so no biggie. Just be polite and professional about it.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by gg4real: 9:35am On Sep 06, 2016
my brother sowie jere.......... He just landed JFK this morning, he will personally post his transcript. was lil worried because he arrived late. his class started August 31st and he land this morning but thank God he had a smooth entry without any problem at all at the point of entry,

KPhantom:

Bros oo, we still dey wait for this transcript...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by damiliano(m): 9:56am On Sep 06, 2016
Walspring:

You need to start searching for schools and i hope you are able to see funding for spring semester 2017 but I will advise you work toward fall semester 2017 and write necessary test as well if only you wan TA or GA or RA or full ride scholarship

can i have your email address please/
plssss
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by loye80: 10:31am On Sep 06, 2016
biikeys:

Just google the name and you can see links to his/her profile. That should have links to free copies of papers and journals. Use google scholar as well.
Bro, you have a PM. Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by emmaroland: 10:33am On Sep 06, 2016
Please i need help making a decision. I studied mechanical engineering with a first class in Nigeria university and currently considering masters or phd in USA schools. My questions are
* concerning post masters opt issue, which region is best to study? as have read people's comments that the 13 States in the east coast holds more opportunity for engineers after study than other region, how true is this?
*secondly, is it advisable to apply for phd directly or apply for masters degree, will the phd limit job/opt search?
Have seen many Internet pages talking about how easy to get opt in IT/elect than in Mechanical engineering. Since i can't shift my career at this point to IT, i really need help to make a wise decision base on what's on ground. Sarcasm is also welcome
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by gg4real: 11:09am On Sep 06, 2016
Hello Good people in the house,

Please is there anyone studying in Rutherford Area in New Jersey?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by LagosismyHome(f): 11:09am On Sep 06, 2016
xcaper:

Stem : after F1 study graduation you will be given one year OPT , then after the one year you can apply for extension for another 24 months ..... Making it a total of 36 months after graduation . However you need to be in employment to get the 24 months extension and the JOb must be related to your field of study .....So yes if you qualify that would be 3 years work permit

However this has nothing to do with Greencard ........ For green card work route , usually your employer would need to file a work visa called H1B (which i guess within that 36 months so the earlier within that time frame the better). Then after h1B visa at some point then file for Greencard ....... Once you have an approved Greencard then 5years later Citizenship . Gosh it seems like many years ahead but time goes by fast and if you are lucky at some point you get to the END (which becomes clearer once u see an approved greencard) ......So for now, its to take it one step at a time .. Also check Canada they have a faster route if you want stay

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by opia12345: 11:11am On Sep 06, 2016
please house, i am planing to do GRE as i see i cant really do Masters without it, can any assist me on the materials and way forward , pls reply
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Christian129(m): 11:28am On Sep 06, 2016
opia12345:
please house, i am planing to do GRE as i see i cant really do Masters without it, can any assist me on the materials and way forward , pls reply

PM me
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by opia12345: 12:04pm On Sep 06, 2016
opeyemihadex@gmail.com expecting
Christian129:

PM me
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Nobody: 2:09pm On Sep 06, 2016
Wow!!!Fastest growing thread on Nairaland .My testimony once again while trying to make it as short and concise as possible. It had always been my dream to study in the USA. I landed in USA August 5th 2016.
But this USA dream officially started in 2012 after I graduated from the Uni.
I enrolled for IELTS.
it was now time for me to evaluate my transcript but you won't believe that my prestigious Uni was telling me that my transcript was nowhere to be found and that it was missing. Hnmmmmmmmmm immediately I heard that, I tried conserving my energy by first swallowing spit spontaneously such as you would expect in an endothermic reaction. about seven months passed by and my transcript was still nowhere to be found then I became ' mad'. It was really frustrating all which I explained to God......after which I called a family lawyer who in turn wrote my school giving them a deadline if not they would have to appear in court.( Mind you I had my bsc certificate, statement of result) but they couldn't just find my transcript). To cut the long story short, I got my transcript the second day the letter got to them at the Senate. It was God alone.
fast forwarded
I evaluated my transcript applied to my school and I got admission. During my application to my school, I met Dannybrown19 on here who also happened to be in my school and that was how I met him...
on Nairaland...... he assisted me with so many things the payment of my sevis.... my housing application etc
above all... I was in his house with one other Nigerian guy for weeks sleeping, eating, browsing for FREE....Mind you he left the comfort of his bedroom for me he was staying in the sitting room all through those times..he put us through most things.... got an on campus job for us etc.
Not only that, he was carrying us out in his car to do some basic settling down.... all for free.
You people should please tell him thank you and God bless him on my behalf. ( If you no know anybody for where you dey go.) abeg carry money.
When I left Danny's house and got an appartment, I had to call a cab to most places that I went to which cost me $5 per route ... then I realised how much I would have spent if I had been carrying cab all these while.
Fastforwarded again..
The next day I came to USA I went to see one of my professors who had earlier given me a little tuition waiver but after our conversation I realised that was the only thing he could offer at that time.
The following week the man called myself and one other Nigerian guy, he offered us 1/4 GA. ( which means five hours/ week and it won't reduce our tuition)
We go dey teach one undergraduate class but the money dey very small as we no get choice we had to collect it with all our might and thanked him.

FINANCES.. I reserve my comments....
But what I realised was, in my school, you could set up an installmental payment to pay the first semester.. paying it like three times. Mind you I'm not encouraging you to come without money likewise you dont have to be in """Dangote's"""" lineage to study in the USA. At least my surname and others I've seen here is not ""Dangote''''.
Above all I give God all the glory, thanks and adoration to Him alone be all praises.
Thank you and God bless you..

22 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by biikeys(m): 3:03pm On Sep 06, 2016
LagosismyHome:

Stem : after F1 study graduation you will be given one year OPT , then after the one year you can apply for extension for another 24 months ..... Making it a total of 36 months after graduation . However you need to be in employment to get the 24 months extension and the JOb must be related to your field of study .....So yes if you qualify that would be 3 years work permit

However this has nothing to do with Greencard ........ For green card work route , usually your employer would need to file a work visa called H1B (which i guess within that 36 months so the earlier within that time frame the better). Then after h1B visa at some point then file for Greencard ....... Once you have an approved Greencard then 5years later Citizenship . Gosh it seems like many years ahead but time goes by fast and if you are lucky at some point you get to the END (which becomes clearer once u see an approved greencard) ......So for now, its to take it one step at a time .. Also check Canada they have a faster route if you want stay

..and xcaper, you need to get a job within 60 days of graduation to qualify for OPT. So, OPT is not automatic!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by NairaSea23: 3:27pm On Sep 06, 2016
meekandholy:
Wow!!!Fastest growing thread on Nairaland .My testimony once again while trying to make it as short and concise as possible. It had always been my dream to study in the USA. I landed in USA August 5th 2016.
But this USA dream officially started in 2012 after I graduated from the Uni.
I enrolled for IELTS.
it was now time for me to evaluate my transcript but you won't believe that my prestigious Uni was telling me that my transcript was nowhere to be found and that it was missing. Hnmmmmmmmmm immediately I heard that, I tried conserving my energy by first swallowing spit spontaneously such as you would expect in an endothermic reaction. about seven months passed by and my transcript was still nowhere to be found then I became ' mad'. It was really frustrating all which I explained to God......after which I called a family lawyer who in turn wrote my school giving them a deadline if not they would have to appear in court.( Mind you I had my bsc certificate, statement of result) but they couldn't just find my transcript). To cut the long story short, I got my transcript the second day the letter got to them at the Senate. It was God alone.
fast forwarded
I evaluated my transcript applied to my school and I got admission. During my application to my school, I met Dannybrown19 on here who also happened to be in my school and that was how I met him...
on Nairaland...... he assisted me with so many things the payment of my sevis.... my housing application etc
above all... I was in his house with one other Nigerian guy for weeks sleeping, eating, browsing for FREE....Mind you he left the comfort of his bedroom for me he was staying in the sitting room all through those times..he put us through most things.... got an on campus job for us etc.
Not only that, he was carrying us out in his car to do some basic settling down.... all for free.
You people should please tell him thank you and God bless him on my behalf. ( If you no know anybody for where you dey go.) abeg carry money.
When I left Danny's house and got an appartment, I had to call a cab to most places that I went to which cost me $5 per route ... then I realised how much I would have spent if I had been carrying cab all these while.
Fastforwarded again..
The next day I came to USA I went to see one of my professors who had earlier given me a little tuition waiver but after our conversation I realised that was the only thing he could offer at that time.
The following week the man called myself and one other Nigerian guy, he offered us 1/4 GA. ( which means five hours/ week and it won't reduce our tuition)
We go dey teach one undergraduate class but the money dey very small as we no get choice we had to collect it with all our might and thanked him.

FINANCES.. I reserve my comments....
But what I realised was, in my school, you could set up an installmental payment to pay the first semester.. paying it like three times. Mind you I'm not encouraging you to come without money likewise you dont have to be in """Dangote's"""" lineage to study in the USA. At least my surname and others I've seen here is not ""Dangote''''.
Above all I give God all the glory, thanks and adoration to Him alone be all praises.
Thank you and God bless you..

Nice one meekandholy pls do drop by once in a while on the thread to share experience. Danny you are the Man. God Bless u. I also met a Nigeria here... A girl sha. I virtually paid for everything for the 10 days I spent with her. including Internet and utilities. But I know we can do better. Thanks Danny for your support to your compatriots.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by fmsuhgar: 3:54pm On Sep 06, 2016
[quote author=NairaSea23 post=49110436]Just want to take this time to appreciate some persons on this thread. Over 90% of fall2016 successful applicants that are in the USA now have abandon this thread. I personally think that's very wrong and it ought not to be so. Even if it's tight acdemic schedules or economic/financial issues, sharing them here will help some persons in the future. Where ell those enthusiastic fall applicants that gained a lot from

this thread? Immediately them entre US them bone thread

Nice one
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by ponpon(m): 6:01pm On Sep 06, 2016
Wonderful people on here.....

Guys, the first prof I mailed has caused some 'ish' for me. He replied almost immediately and we got talking.... The other schools professors I'm mailing, Damn!....I'm still waiting if they would reply tomorrow, 2 weeks plus now... No word... Like 3 different people...

Should I send reminders? And how often?

(1) (2) (3) ... (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) ... (405)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.