Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,654 members, 7,820,276 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:28 PM

The True Meaning Of "Supernatural"? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The True Meaning Of "Supernatural"? (1956 Views)

Easter Day Significance And True Meaning!!! / A Day Of Supernatural Wonders With Pastor W. F. Kumuyi Live In Abuja / How Can We Account For The Manifestation Of Supernatural Powers? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The True Meaning Of "Supernatural"? by cloudgoddess(f): 4:04pm On Aug 13, 2016
I think supernatural is a word humanity came up with when we still understood very, very little about nature. We thought our understanding of nature at the time was the best us "mere mortals" could do, and that everything outside of that miniscule realm of understanding must be outside of what we considered "nature".

But now, as humanity's collective thinking has evolved and progressed, and we've discovered information far, far beyond the limits we once thought restricted us indefinitely, the realm of things considered "supernatural" is getting smaller and smaller.

This is precisely what we would expect to happen if the word supernatural really just meant "natural things humans do not understand and are compelled to make up explanations for based on very limited information".

There are still lots of things we don't know, and even our most forward-thinking intellectuals are willing to admit that. But as time goes on its become glaringly apparent that the things we don't know yet might just be things we don't know yet, due to lack of information. Not magic.

Things that were once thought to be 100% SUPERNATURAL but are now explained in full, or at least partially(*), by natural processes:

Rain, thunder and lightening
Weather patterns in general, seasons
Air (how it keeps us alive, what's contained in it)
Fire
Water
Jewels, gold and other precious metals (how they got there, what's in them, whether or not they have powers)
Volcanoes
Planets
Stars
Meteorites/shooting stars/other space debris
Thinking
Consciousness*
Emotions (sadness, depression, aggression, happiness and so on have been attributed to gods, spirits, & demons)
Generational Trauma
Sickness (bacteria, viruses, etc)
Childbirth (& everything that can go wrong with it, incl. miscarriage)
Genetics & Heredity (DNA, genetically inherited illnesses aka 'family curses')
Blindness
Deafness
Seizures (all the poor epileptic children forced to undergo "exorcism", sigh)
Mental Illness (this could have it's own thread honestly)
Addiction
Genetic Diversity (how it's generated & maintained)
Agriculture (crop yields, etc)

Feel free to add to the list and discuss!
~~~

4 Likes

Re: The True Meaning Of "Supernatural"? by Ghost01(m): 4:39pm On Aug 13, 2016
Basically, what people tag as 'supernatural' is what they cannot, at that moment, explain. There are also times when certain stuffs are considered to be supernatural because people consider them too beautiful/wonderful - sunrise and sunset, for example.
Re: The True Meaning Of "Supernatural"? by Nobody: 5:30pm On Aug 13, 2016
Though I am theist, I do not attribute all to the supernatural. Infact I am quite miffed when Christians or Muslims would take something explainable by science as supernatural.

1. Stars are stones for chasing Jinns and demons.
- Science: They are actually meteors or comets moving in space.

2. Children who sleep a lot are witches who leave their bodies to respective evil meetings.
- Science: They are actually children with sleeping disorders (Narcolepsy, Trypanosomiasis e.t.c.).

3. When you cross over a pregnant woman, she will eventually birth a child who looks like you.
- Science: It is genetically possible for a woman to birth a child who looks like her grand-father, brother, sister e.t.c.
- Possible explanation to this erroneous belief: Pregnant women who were crossed over by their relatives ended up giving birth to children who looked like those relatives. Such is just by coincidence as it would still be possible to birth a child who looked like such relatives even if their mothers were not crossed over by them.
Re: The True Meaning Of "Supernatural"? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Aug 13, 2016
my dear cloudgoddess,,,, to me what supernatural actually means is the flying planes developed by orville and wilburight,the highspeed train of japan,the hp laptop i always use in quoting you( cloudgoddess) and so on and so forth,,,,,,,,,,,,nice thread though
Re: The True Meaning Of "Supernatural"? by 4kings: 6:35pm On Aug 13, 2016
Demonic possession in children
Science: anti-nmda encephalitis

Flat earth with foundations grin
Science: Spherical with gravity

Gen 1:6-8, The "Firmament" as the Golden city grin
Science: The passage of "Van Allen Belt" disproves this.

That's all I can remember aside from yours.

1 Like

Re: The True Meaning Of "Supernatural"? by bluaero(m): 6:51pm On Aug 13, 2016
Cloudgoddess, I also like to think that the "supernatural" does not exist. I wonder how we could explain spiritual manifestations in church deliverance sessions, ancient exorcisms etc.
Re: The True Meaning Of "Supernatural"? by Nobody: 8:39pm On Aug 13, 2016
bluaero:
Cloudgoddess, I also like to think that the "supernatural" does not exist. I wonder how we could explain spiritual manifestations in church deliverance sessions, ancient exorcisms etc.
Its all in the brain

2 Likes

Re: The True Meaning Of "Supernatural"? by 4kings: 8:48pm On Aug 13, 2016
AmenRa1:

Its all in the brain
Pls explain wat u mean.
Re: The True Meaning Of "Supernatural"? by Nobody: 9:07pm On Aug 13, 2016
4kings:

Pls explain wat u mean.
bluaero:
What does he mean by spiritual manifestation? Is it when parstor waves his hand and people start falling?? We are in a country were people consider their pastor as "God" a special man, God chosen. I really don't know where that ideology came from but if people start considering their pastor as "God" don't U think it would have a psychological Effect on them Why? Because this is a God they can actually see any every action is to please Him! Now explaining the spiritual manifestation Last two years If I am correct The musicians P-Square Went to perform on stage, immediately they stepped on stage and start singing Two Girls Fainted shocked What would U Call That?? That they were over come by the holy spirit? Of course not it's just the way their brain precieve things. The musician Michael Jackson Steps on Stage More That 100people Fainted What Do U Call That??

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Meaning Of "Supernatural"? by Nobody: 9:29pm On Aug 13, 2016

2 Likes

Re: The True Meaning Of "Supernatural"? by Ranchhoddas: 10:33pm On Aug 13, 2016
AmenRa1:

What does he mean by spiritual manifestation? Is it when parstor waves his hand and people start falling?? We are in a country were people consider their pastor as "God" a special man, God chosen. I really don't know where that ideology came from but if people start considering their pastor as "God" don't U think it would have a psychological Effect on them Why? Because this is a God they can actually see any every action is to please Him! Now explaining the spiritual manifestation Last two years If I am correct The musicians P-Square Went to perform on stage, immediately they stepped on stage and start singing Two Girls Fainted shocked What would U Call That?? That they were over come by the holy spirit? Of course not it's just the way their brain precieve things. The musician Michael Jackson Steps on Stage More That 100people Fainted What Do U Call That??
I am a skeptic too but it is totally crazy to say that all the things that happen in churches are in the brain. That is just plain denial. It is even better to employ the ''we do not understand it yet'' line than to attempt to suggest that they all hallucinations or stage-managed...Saying this would be an even bigger delusion than having faith in one deity or the other.

3 Likes

Re: The True Meaning Of "Supernatural"? by dabosuker(m): 10:52pm On Aug 13, 2016
cloudgoddess:
I think supernatural is a word humanity came up with when we still understood very, very little about nature. We thought our understanding of nature at the time was the best us "mere mortals" could do, and that everything outside of that miniscule realm of understanding must be outside of what we considered "nature".

But now, as humanity's collective thinking has evolved and progressed, and we've discovered information far, far beyond the limits we once thought restricted us indefinitely, the realm of things considered "supernatural" is getting smaller and smaller.

This is precisely what we would expect to happen if the word supernatural really just meant "natural things humans do not understand and are compelled to make up explanations for based on very limited information".

There are still lots of things we don't know, and even our most forward-thinking intellectuals are willing to admit that. But as time goes on its become glaringly apparent that the things we don't know yet might just be things we don't know yet, due to lack of information. Not magic.

Things that were once thought to be 100% SUPERNATURAL but are now explained in full, or at least partially(*), by natural processes:

Rain, thunder and lightening
Weather patterns in general, seasons
Air (how it keeps us alive, what's contained in it)
Fire
Water
Jewels, gold and other precious metals (how they got there, what's in them, whether or not they have powers)
Volcanoes
Planets
Stars
Meteorites/shooting stars/other space debris
Thinking
Consciousness*
Emotions (sadness, depression, aggression, happiness and so on have been attributed to gods, spirits, & demons)
Generational Trauma
Sickness (bacteria, viruses, etc)
Childbirth (& everything that can go wrong with it, incl. miscarriage)
Genetics & Heredity (DNA, genetically inherited illnesses aka 'family curses')
Blindness
Deafness
Seizures (all the poor epileptic children forced to undergo "exorcism", sigh)
Mental Illness (this could have it's own thread honestly)
Addiction
Genetic Diversity (how it's generated & maintained)
Agriculture (crop yields, etc)

Feel free to add to the list and discuss!
~~~

I totally agree with you, "The Supernatural is the Natural not yet known"
Re: The True Meaning Of "Supernatural"? by 4kings: 10:54pm On Aug 13, 2016
AmenRa1:

I don't think u explained anything (no offence!).
Falling is not the only spiritual manifestation

2 Likes

Re: The True Meaning Of "Supernatural"? by Nobody: 10:56pm On Aug 13, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
I am a skeptic too but it is totally crazy to say that all the things that happen in churches are in the brain. That is just plain denial. It is even better to employ the ''we do not understand it yet'' line than to attempt to suggest that they all hallucinations or stage-managed...Saying this would be an even bigger delusion than having faith in one deity or the other.
See they is a scientific explanation for all those stuff I just decided to explain it a way everyone would understand!!
Re: The True Meaning Of "Supernatural"? by Nobody: 11:01pm On Aug 13, 2016
4kings:

I don't think u explained anything (no offence!).
Falling is not the only spiritual manifestations
Which other do U know undecided

Re: The True Meaning Of "Supernatural"? by Ranchhoddas: 11:11pm On Aug 13, 2016
AmenRa1:

See they is a scientific explanation for all those stuff I just decided to explain it a way everyone would understand!!
Probably. But do have these explanations?
Re: The True Meaning Of "Supernatural"? by 4kings: 11:12pm On Aug 13, 2016
AmenRa1:

Which other do U know undecided
Actual healing. durhhh
Re: The True Meaning Of "Supernatural"? by Nobody: 11:15pm On Aug 13, 2016
4kings:

Actual healing. durhhh
Like growing of amputated limbs abi undecided
Re: The True Meaning Of "Supernatural"? by 4kings: 11:23pm On Aug 13, 2016
AmenRa1:

Like growing of amputated limbs abi undecided
Gosh, smh undecided
If you really don't understand what I mean, then I won't bother indulging you.
Adios
Re: The True Meaning Of "Supernatural"? by Nobody: 11:31pm On Aug 13, 2016
4kings:

Gosh, smh undecided
If you really don't understand what I mean, then I won't bother indulging you.
Adios
Lol look at this kid

1 Like

Re: The True Meaning Of "Supernatural"? by HCpaul(m): 11:33pm On Aug 13, 2016
Ranchhoddas:

I understand your point bro. Infact, I had an encounter with a man who started telling me some hidden secrets of my life immediately when sighting me. To be sincere, I couldn't deny those predictions because they was accurately given.

But is that enough to validate the supernatural? Definitely no!

There are natural processes taken place and they've sharpen their instincts and inner intuitive ability beyond Normal scenario. They work with discretions which sometimes their prophecies will be void and totally inaccurate.

Anyone can prophecy if he or she wants to, just that who cares? ? ?
Re: The True Meaning Of "Supernatural"? by Ranchhoddas: 11:57pm On Aug 13, 2016
HCpaul:

I understand your point bro. Infact, I had an encounter with a man who started telling me some hidden secrets of my life immediately when sighting me. To be sincere, I couldn't deny those predictions because they was accurately given.

But is that enough to validate the supernatural? Definitely no!

There are natural processes taken place and they've sharpen their instincts and inner intuitive ability beyond Normal scenario. They work with discretions which sometimes their prophecies will be void and totally inaccurate.

Anyone can prophecy if he or she wants to, just that who cares? ? ?
I understand you but what kind of sharpened instinct turns an SS genotype to AA?

1 Like

Re: The True Meaning Of "Supernatural"? by braithwaite(m): 12:15am On Aug 14, 2016
[b]

Supernatural - super-natures...

Ghost>>

this one always make me get turned on..
A ghost, as we all understand it, should b a person who's been dead and returned in a form that can communicate in some way or another. It should be able to give us detailed information about what happens after death,like bola ige ,funsho Williams should be able to relay us those killers that murder em.. It should be able to consult with em dead pilots and sailors and tell us where to find shipwrecks and lost planes,It should b able to give us some vital info, It should be able to relay Einstein's toughts on quantum theory, But what do we actually get? Squeaky doors, creepy feelings and the occasional hussy wirred noise, flying curtains and falling of wallpapers.. cheesy cheesy.. What's the point?no actual supernatural phenomenons. Just mind plays..

this shows that many phenomenon that we believed to be supernatural alwys end up being explainable without resorting to supernatural explanations.

[/b]
grin
Re: The True Meaning Of "Supernatural"? by Nobody: 12:56am On Aug 14, 2016
grin grin

Re: The True Meaning Of "Supernatural"? by HCpaul(m): 2:06am On Aug 14, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
I understand you but what kind of sharpened instinct turns an SS genotype to AA?

It is based on Christian science. When you believe in something too much you will get the positive result of your belief if only it is directed towards things that are natural and doesn't exceed the human organs.

Starving kills people but hardly will a Christian dies because of fasting. Whereas both are the same as their major priority is going without eating.

But a starving man will keep worrying about food while a fasting person will be happy because his belief and present situation is considered ephemeral and is directed towards a particular purpose.

The psychological concern is that if only the starving man can sees himself like the fasting man, they will both live and survive.

If only you can constitute a measure of faith that can believe in yourself the same way you believe in Jesus, you will have the same positive result and even a better one.

But nevertheless, am still not adding confirmation to the above testimony.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Did Mohamed Commit Adultery With Zainab Before Adoption Was Abrogated? / What If God Wasnt Real! / 700 Club's Pat Robertson Says Haiti Paying For 'pact To The Devil'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.